Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I never really went applied my overengineering to sourdough so this isn't really my department, but I get some vibes that there's an insufferably pedantic difference there. In the first scenario, the first generation has the full volume to use, where it only gets an eighth of it in the second scenario. I tried to doodle out what that looks like but I don't think I want to post it because it hurts my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Bear with me for a moment: so for a proper backslop, you remove half of the existing culture, and then add flour and water to replace the lost mass. Repeat a few times, and it only grows more flavorful, yeah?

But is there a reason you couldn't just start off with, say, 1/8 the mass of your desired end product, (ferment & double) x 3, and then end up with the same effect?

For it to be backslop, you hold some back from a previous ferment to add to your new ferment. It is a little pedantic, but it refers to a specific sort of method. You can take an ounce of the pizza dough you're baking that night and mix it with flour/water to feed and that's your backslop. It doesn't necessarily grow more flavorful, but it takes a highly active/good pH culture and it's giving the next ferment a headstart into getting to that same place. A levain traditionally would be used and rebuilt every day, so the backslop in it is the leftovers from today getting mixed into the new levain for tomorrow's bread.

If you have a culture, and you remove half and replace with new water/flour you're just feeding your culture. So if you want to start with 1/8 of your mass, that's fine. You're just stepping the culture into the size you need for your loaf/pizza/ferment. It's how people who store yeast rebuild to a large enough size to use for the mass/volume fermentation project you're doing. It has the effect of increasing your microbial cell count x3, which gives you a large colony of microbes that will work on whatever you feed to them.

The big difference is the backslop has had multiple generations by this point, and the yeast and bacteria have a better balance and relationship. If you're starting from scratch, they haven't had that chance yet and only 3 days of doubling isn't going to give you the same results as 3 months of doubling and reducing would as those microbes have had a chance to adapt to the environment of your kitchen over many more generations. For beer yeast strains (still Saccharomyces cerevisiae) you start to see drift in as little as 15-17 generations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
OK, well if backslop by definition has to be started from a previous fermentation, then mine isn't a backslop. What I'm hoping for is that a low temperature, relatively long fermentation poolish with extremely minute (<.1%) amounts of yeast will pick up some lacto to come along for the ride.

I'm definitely into sorcerer's apprentice territory here.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So LAB in your method is only coming from the flour, using commercial yeast with that will not really give the LAB a better chance vs the yeast at any fermentation temps.

IMO you need to salt your poo poo to inhibit the yeast where LAB does better, at least in my thinking with a veg ferment.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Dear goons, I never thought it would happen to me, but I have become the goon in the well :v: I will disabuse myself of the notion of picking them up... but I'm definitely not stopping my tests now that I'm seeing more excitement at 60.

Salt inhibits fermentation too? huh.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, we could have also talked about this when you first brought it up instead of now, so we're all stuck in this well together. Us and our stinky goon bods. I guess if you need some wild yeast, we're all right here.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
It turns out that keeping the fermenter running for a month straight while being continually reloaded with nice moist poolishes turned my ice chest into a mold incubator :bang:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Made some pan pizza at home for my wife who had some intense surgery a week ago.

Tomato pie with garlic, parm, oregano, basil, olive oil, and red onions on one side

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ogopogo posted:

Made some pan pizza at home for my wife who had some intense surgery a week ago.

Tomato pie with garlic, parm, oregano, basil, olive oil, and red onions on one side

That's beautiful and I hope your wife is recovering well, but I have to ask... does she really want pizza??

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

large hands posted:

That's beautiful and I hope your wife is recovering well, but I have to ask... does she really want pizza??

More than you know. She’s also a co-owner in the pizzeria we have together, she’s a pizza fiend :)
The week from surgery to this pizza was the longest she’s gone without pizza in 3 years. She was ready!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ogopogo posted:

More than you know. She’s also a co-owner in the pizzeria we have together

I know! That's why I figured she'd be sick of the stuff. :D Usually if I cook a big meal for a group I don't really crave whatever it is by the time I'm done. Running a pizza restaurant and still wanting pizza at home is next level!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

large hands posted:

I know! That's why I figured she'd be sick of the stuff. :D Usually if I cook a big meal for a group I don't really crave whatever it is by the time I'm done. Running a pizza restaurant and still wanting pizza at home is next level!

Pizza is pretty good tho

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I didn't have most of my poo poo packed up over here, this would be a good time for me to whip out a book I have on Neapolitan pizzas and quote the section talking about all the great health benefits of pizza. It's, like, easy to digest and stuff. Yeah.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
She was sick of hospital food and as stated above - sourdough pizza is tasty and it’s good for the gut! But she’s also just a pizza lover, I got really lucky!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Good on you for cooking for her and good on her for being a good wife who also loves pizza.

Tangent: I've been making mediocre pizza for years and just want to start over from scratch. I have an ooni oven I'll be cracking out finally in a few months once my partner and I get moved. Does anyone have any concrete suggestions for basic literature on pizza dough theory? I was always pretty lazy on following technique and want to start doing it right. My ideal pizza is a new york style thin crust but I want to relearn the basics.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm trying to work out a method for reliably making sourdough pizza. Making the dough in advance just flat-out doesn't seem to work. If I give it more than a few days of fridge ferment, the dough turns into a wet sticky mess that's impossible to handle.

I've had some minor success crash-coursing my way through making a 50/50 blend of fresh dough and fermented sourdough and letting that rise for an hour or two before baking. I don't have much sense of how to work with sourdough though, and I'd appreciate any good reading or tips on the matter

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm trying to work out a method for reliably making sourdough pizza. Making the dough in advance just flat-out doesn't seem to work. If I give it more than a few days of fridge ferment, the dough turns into a wet sticky mess that's impossible to handle.

I've had some minor success crash-coursing my way through making a 50/50 blend of fresh dough and fermented sourdough and letting that rise for an hour or two before baking. I don't have much sense of how to work with sourdough though, and I'd appreciate any good reading or tips on the matter

Alright, my goal is to get a write up of my method for sourdough pizza posted here in the next few days. Give me a little grace as I’m the opening dough maker the next few days at the shop. Also here’s the new design we had made for our 1 year anniversary coming up Dec 9, for shirts hoodies and totes

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

ogopogo posted:

Alright, my goal is to get a write up of my method for sourdough pizza posted here in the next few days. Give me a little grace as I’m the opening dough maker the next few days at the shop. Also here’s the new design we had made for our 1 year anniversary coming up Dec 9, for shirts hoodies and totes

oh man that'd be badass. I can make a killer yeasted dough pizza, but I can't puzzle out sourdough for the life of me.

also I didn't realize you were in vegas. my housemate is there rn; I've directed her to drop by the restaurant and report back about it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Thinking it's about time I tried making pan pizza, meaning Pizza Hut personal pan style. Anyone got 12-14" pan recommendations? Do I need cast iron or what?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Thinking it's about time I tried making pan pizza, meaning Pizza Hut personal pan style. Anyone got 12-14" pan recommendations? Do I need cast iron or what?

You can buy the actual pizza hut pans, new or used on eBay. There are all kinds of sizes from 10" to 15" right now.
I have two 12" pans, and they are pretty great.
Cast iron works fine too, if you don't want a single use pan. I've found that with cast iron I sometimes have to finish cooking my pie on the stove too so the bottom crust gets crispy.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

bengy81 posted:

You can buy the actual pizza hut pans, new or used on eBay. There are all kinds of sizes from 10" to 15" right now.
I have two 12" pans, and they are pretty great.
Cast iron works fine too, if you don't want a single use pan. I've found that with cast iron I sometimes have to finish cooking my pie on the stove too so the bottom crust gets crispy.

Yeah you can make a good pie in cast iron but finishing on the stove is the only way to get a nicely browned bottom

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's these perforated pans that make the magic Pizza Hut pan crust?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

it's these perforated pans that make the magic Pizza Hut pan crust?

I "think" those are for the hand tossed regular crust, but I'm not sure.
This style is what I was referring too. There are a lot more pan options since the last time I looked, I kind of want a few lids, and they have 6" personal pans listed too...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
X-post from the chat thread, where all the cool kids (no one is cool; some actually have kids) have gone to dischord;

The worst most wonderful thing happened- my partner had been talking about how badly she wanted an Ooni pizza oven for two years, hinting hard to her folks that she'd love it for Xmas last year; close friends got a gas one past summer and they were comparing notes...and one just showed up on the porch. I congratulated her on buying herself a housewarming gift, and she looked downcast- apparently it is the big present she got me for the holiday! Good news is that expectation is as good as surprise, so now I'm researching a wood pellet burning oven. Any suggestions on where to look for both basic operations and also pizza and bread specific operation?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

bengy81 posted:

I "think" those are for the hand tossed regular crust, but I'm not sure.
This style is what I was referring too. There are a lot more pan options since the last time I looked, I kind of want a few lids, and they have 6" personal pans listed too...

Cool, thanks

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I tried to get cute and replaced about 30g of pizza flour with 30g of semolina flour (following this recipe) and it really swamped up my cuisinart; I presume because the density of the two flours is so different that the hydration level got thrown way off?

I salvaged it by scooping it out of the processor container and plopping it onto a floured board and kneading about some flour into it. Let's see what happens with these dough balls in the next two days of cold ferment!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I tried to get cute and replaced about 30g of pizza flour with 30g of semolina flour (following this recipe) and it really swamped up my cuisinart; I presume because the density of the two flours is so different that the hydration level got thrown way off?

I salvaged it by scooping it out of the processor container and plopping it onto a floured board and kneading about some flour into it. Let's see what happens with these dough balls in the next two days of cold ferment!

Make tavern pies when they’re ready!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Reuben pizza : tomato , pastrami, swiss, shredded cabbage, caraway and cumin seeds on a 20% Rye flour base. Might up the Rye next time and need to pay attention to popping bubbles in the crust

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Last year during my family's white elephant gift exchange, I swiped a pizza stone from my brother and I think he was kind of upset about it. Would like to make it up to him this year with some sort of starter pack for making pizza at home, if such a thing exists. What are the must-have pieces of equipment for doing your own 'za?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Pizza stone helps.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Steel is better than stone, IME.
2. Please don't call it 'za'.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
A pizza rocker cutter is vastly superior to one of those wheel cutters. A pizza peel is also nice to have.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fall Dog posted:

A pizza rocker cutter is vastly superior to one of those wheel cutters. A pizza peel is also nice to have.

Agree to disagree. Use what you prefer though, but I have my reasons.

I’ll use a chef’s knife or veg cleaver before I’ll use a rocker cutter again. The cheap wheel cutters at the restaurant supply that are probably winco are what I use first. The rockers come dull, are too soft to actually keep an edge, and take up a bunch of drawer space. And aren’t big enough to cut my 16” tavern pies anyway.

Pizza steel over a stone is the pro move, but stones are cheaper and plenty of people will be happy to use them. You could also get him some “nice” 00 pizza flour (though not strictly necessary), or a nice metal pizza peel for it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

to elaborate on steel vs stone - stone technically holds its temperature better, but that is because steel is a much better conductor, so it does a much better job of actually transferring heat from itself to another object. it also makes it faster at heating up.

but because stones hold their temperature better, its usually better for breads (and useful to keep in the bottom of your oven just for the sake of better temperature regulation). they also dont require reheating between pizzas the way that a steel does (not that i've ever found that to be a problem for a steel)

i ignore these problems by buying an ooni and completely gave up trying to fumble around with my oven

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

i ignore these problems by buying an ooni and completely gave up trying to fumble around with my oven

Gas or wood fired?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bloody ghost titty posted:

Gas or wood fired?

Both lol. I got the karu. But I got the gas adapter after like two of three cooks cause futzing around with the firebox is the least fun thing in the world. If im gonna have a live fire, I may as well build a brick oven. Cash out my 401k and get one of those forno piombo ovens shipped over

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Borsche69 posted:

Both lol. I got the karu. But I got the gas adapter after like two of three cooks cause futzing around with the firebox is the least fun thing in the world. If im gonna have a live fire, I may as well build a brick oven. Cash out my 401k and get one of those forno piombo ovens shipped over

I have the Karu 16 as well. Gas is much, much easier to manage for pizza, but I have liked using the wood option for other things like steaks, veggies, kebabs, etc.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A big, lidded glass jar for keeping pre-balled dough in the fridge and a decent pair of scissors is a good start.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Wood is nice but if it's hot enough to give you a good bake, it's burning through fuel fast enough that you have to load it faster than a comfortable workflow allows (unless you have 2 people using it). The flavor is great, but it unavoidably adds an unpleasant level of stress and inconvenience to the experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HolHorsejob posted:

Wood is nice but if it's hot enough to give you a good bake, it's burning through fuel fast enough that you have to load it faster than a comfortable workflow allows (unless you have 2 people using it). The flavor is great, but it unavoidably adds an unpleasant level of stress and inconvenience to the experience

Yeah that was my feeling. And if I wanted that kind of flavor, I'm probably gonna end up firing up my smoker/grill. Although I could see where the ooni can pull double duty, especially for smaller meals where you don't feel like firing up an entire thing of coal.