Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
So what I’m getting here is that a luxury condo is one that is poorly made compared to a normal condo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, except that all condos are luxury condos now (but you can't say that because it's a slur).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

l-word c-words

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I always figured l*xury either meant nothing or had some weird realtor definition like "is in building with at least six floors"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Slotducks posted:

we're so loving dumb oh my god

not me, i'm smart. i think trudeau should be prime minister for serveral more years

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I sneak into dark alleys and vote for Trudeau, even when there's no election on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZShakespeare posted:

right but how do we get developers to stop building luxury condos instead of normal condos?

I think a luxury condo maybe has the stone countertops. Those are still all the rage, right? Or maybe butcher block? While non-luxury gets you good ol' laminate.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think a luxury condo maybe has the stone countertops. Those are still all the rage, right? Or maybe butcher block? While non-luxury gets you good ol' laminate.

Waterfall countertops, you continue the stone down one or both sides of an island. It's future proofed against the condo falling over 90 degrees in a very specific direction.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I consider the most "luxury" feature of my (rented) condo to be the wrap-around balcony, that poo poo saved me during covid lockdowns.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

tbh, i'd be chuffed if they just stopped building condos. all the downsides of a rental, with all the expense of ownership. build rental apartments or build coops but gently caress off with this building housing so that the middle class can own it to rent to me bullshit

Our whole economy is built around letting better off working class people play act at being ownership class.

Bully your employees (service staff and public workers) like a boss

Manage your RRSP and TFSA private investments like a fund manager

Can't afford a whole building but want to be a landlord? No problem! Just bundle your unit into a property management scheme

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's called wealth generation. don't think too hard about the "fuel" in this metaphor

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

fisting by many posted:

I mean sure but in your scenario the plebs are all fighting over the leftover 50 year old lowrises. New and (real) affordable housing needs to be built, it's a major systemic problem if developers are only incentivized to build luxury condos.

Sure but I'm operating in a scenario where all levels of government refuse to build/fund the 10x more building starts that are currently required.
The (temporary?) removal of GST on new rental building construction is good and sounds like it should move some projects from non-viable to doable but it still feels like loving around on the fringes.

All this messing about to try and incentivize the private sector to do what you want is nice and all but they could also just do it themselves for god's sake.

In either case there's still a backlog of decades worth of missing buildings and there's simply no way around that except time. In an ideal world there should be piles of 30 year old, 20 year old, and 10 year old low/mid rises aging into affordability as the wealthier people move to the new 'luxury' condos, but we don't have that.

I would like to sign on to abolishing condos also. I don't really believe anyone actually wants to buy into these things, it's just the only option.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

not me, i'm smart. i think trudeau should be prime minister for serveral more years

ha i know

it's just that it's pierre driving this? like people are actually buying his smarmy rebrand how sad

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Slotducks posted:

ha i know

it's just that it's pierre driving this? like people are actually buying his smarmy rebrand how sad

the material conditions that i live under keep getting worse so every 8-10 years we should replace the guys running things with the guys who made the material conditions worse before them. this has nothing to do with the names or policies or branding of any of the people involved

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
A condo is where the tax-free workers live. A l*xury condo is where the small business entrepreneur landlord lives.

i can’t see how giving developers a tax break is good policy. Its not going to work. Tax breaks and expecting the private sector to fix the problems is a win for the Cons. Much like defunding the CBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbc-radio-canada-layoffs-budget-1.7048530

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

jsoh posted:

the material conditions that i live under keep getting worse so every 8-10 years we should replace the guys running things with the guys who made the material conditions worse before them. this has nothing to do with the names or policies or branding of any of the people involved

There is a bit of oafish reaction built in, because class consciousness was killed a generation ago in this country. The whole trucker thing showed that.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Condos wouldn’t be so bad if they made them like they made apartments 40-60 years ago: big enough to have a family in.

My old rental in university was cheap and basic but massive compared to the tiny shittily designed places I moved into when I got a “real” job. But they had nice counter tops!

tl;dr if your old place has laminate and parquet, it’s probably better than a “luxury” condo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

a primate posted:

Condos wouldn’t be so bad if they made them like they made apartments 40-60 years ago: big enough to have a family in.

My old rental in university was cheap and basic but massive compared to the tiny shittily designed places I moved into when I got a “real” job. But they had nice counter tops!

tl;dr if your old place has laminate and parquet, it’s probably better than a “luxury” condo

mila kunis posted:

I live in an old apartment building from the 70/80s and its soundproof as hell, well heated and spacious. If I could afford to buy my unit, I would. The cramped and lovely conditions in modern developments that make them undesireable is another point against the 'just deregulate and leave it to the market' YIMBYs.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
id happily stay renting this apartment for the rest of my life instead of experiencing 'the pride of home ownership' if I had any security re the landlord being able to kick me out on a whim, or having any financial security in my old age lol

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

mila kunis posted:

id happily stay renting this apartment for the rest of my life instead of experiencing 'the pride of home ownership' if I had any security re the landlord being able to kick me out on a whim, or having any financial security in my old age lol

i bought a condo and am now in hell

learn from my mistakes, I’m your ghost of Canadian RE future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mila kunis posted:

i rent the ground floor of what used to be a single family home in an immigrant neighbourhood in toronto, and i feel the same

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

theoretically the point of home ownership is that you own your home and don't have to throw a big chunk of your paycheck into a bottomless pit every month to not be homeless but with how mortgages work now you're basically paying for the privilege of doing your own maintenance

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'd love living in an apartment if they would enforce their quiet hour rules and not do that lovely "renting discount" of 50-80% which they can take away at any time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I hate apartment living. We lived in an apartment that was decently-priced (at first) and within walking distance of several grocery stores and a mall, and a short bus trip to my work. The building went through 5 residential managers in about 3 years, with the second last one being a pothead who smoked in her apartment during the day, and the last one being married to a massive hockey fan who didn't understand that not everyone in the building needed to know each and every time the Jets scored a goal. Who the gently caress do you file noise complaints with when the person you're supposed to complain to is the source of the noise?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

CLAM DOWN posted:

l-word c-words

no vietnamese ever called my home a luxury condo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's killing me that a modest working class home then would be a good get on professional wages now

A semi or townhouse with a yard in Toronto on one salary.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

linoleum floors posted:

Kids are cheap labour but unnecessary so long as we keep importing foreign workers

Everyone can live in luxury 400 sq ft bachelor apartments if we keep up this one weird trick

Alternatively we can rent 5000 sq ft 5 bedroom new builds and house 10 people with 10 cars each in them

Old stock Canadians can just live in their boomer parents basements until they die

Honestly we have a pretty good thing going

Only if they actually pay into social services and are taxed. Even then immigration alone isn't enough to cover the slow loss of young workers on which the whole social welfare state depends.

Pretty much every country has figured this out since the 1970s, this isn't a new problem but boy did every political group in charge over the last 50 years not want to deal with it!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Listen, we simply dont have the money to shelter and feed the children, we need all the money to buy F35s so we can bomb people in the future

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

It's killing me that a modest working class home then would be a good get on professional wages now

A semi or townhouse with a yard in Toronto on one salary.

there was a row of these in my old neighbourhood. 10 years later one remains, literally surrounded by condos, Pixar's Up style

they were the lone holdout. the condo was still built with 2nd floor units having a view directly blocked by their roof

recently sold for 2.5 million

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Frosted Flake posted:

i swear ive been to these exact houses its loving killing me i cant remember where it was

i thought it was emerson ave but thats the wrong side of the street for those numbers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RBC posted:

i swear ive been to these exact houses its loving killing me i cant remember where it was

i thought it was emerson ave but thats the wrong side of the street for those numbers

208 Claremont Street.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I would simply escape market forces by moving into co-op housing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

208 Claremont Street.

lol. i walk past that place a few times a month.

tbh, this whole neighbourhood is variations on that design, including the house i live in.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

old houses rule. Why cant we just use the old floor plans but better materials.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

open concept my entire rear end in a top hat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

increased density, mostly. a lot of those houses around here are actually modified into multi-unit dwellings, the one i live in has three apartments, one per floor. that said, you can build a 100+ unit building in the footprint of six of them, so there's no comparison.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Suplex Liberace posted:

in a thought bubble, floating above the goatman during his work day

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Suplex Liberace posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Walls and doors ftmfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Suplex Liberace posted:

old houses rule. Why cant we just use the old floor plans but better materials.

They've done this for some historical buildings.

Original

Rebuilt

I think it's a fantastic idea, and prevents every old neighbourhood from turning into modernist cubes.