Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Wolfsheim posted:

The Lego holiday special and I think that's literally it lol

Also shoutout to that open world SW game coming out next year that takes place between ESB and ROTJ, a pretty underutilized time period in the EU imho

That's crazy, but also funny as hell.

Outlaws does look good. I'm definitely going to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, Kylo's just as much of a vague blank slate as Rey. TLJ's flashbacks give the illusion of depth, but when you try and work out what his motivations actually are or what even happened to him it all collapses into nothing.

Ben was a leftist kid interested in Vaderism, the Star Wars equivalent of Christianity. His motivation was to "finish what [Vader] started", a project that notably included yeeting Palpatine down a hole in the hopes of creating a new society. Vader was no fan of injustice in the Empire/Republic, and Ben was likewise highly critical of the New Republic and Leia's role in it.

When Uncle Luke tried to murder Ben for these thoughtcrimes, Ben fell in with Snoke - the Star Wars equivalent of an inquisition-era Catholic Pope - who perverts Vader's lessons. Ben, now Kylo Ren, is continually pressured to kill his heathen family in order to psychologically 'purify' himself and become born again. This is a twisted interpretation of Anakin's transformation into Vader: Snoke effectively believes that Anakin was correct to kill the younglings, choke Padme to death, etc. - when those were, of course, actually the ultimate expression of Anakin's all-too-human pathological failings. (As we've seen in this and prior iterations of this thread, it's easy for folks to get that confused - saying that Vader was born when Anakin was given a code-name, rather than when Anakin was literally killed and replaced with a psychologically distinct cyborg creature.)

Snoke was, of course, created by Palatine as part of an elaborate secret revenge-plot: to infiltrate the church of Vader and destroy his legacy from the inside.

So, Kylo Ren is a hosed up dude, because he was taught wrong as a joke. But he nonethless has clear beliefs and goals. He acts and the protagonists largely just react to him. And so, his arc is to forgive his parents for their poo poo, renounce Snokism, and become Ben again.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
What if he was Kilo Ren because he was fat?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Worse, he tried to introduce the metric system.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wide Adam Driver memes started for a reason after all

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought that was the leper from Princess Bride

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is some loving Scary Movie poo poo

Tucker & Dale vs Evil remake with Kylo and his Sith buddy against those darn suicidal Jedi teens.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of people care about Rey because she's a female Jedi and the nominal protagonist of the ST. It feels patronizing to say but people do care about representation.

Doing anything with Kylo would require answering some questions about what he believed, why he joined Snoke, what Snoke believed, etc. And they don't wanna. I can't remember how that comic book miniseries played out.

Yeah they should represent female Jedi with a more engaging character. Too bad we lost Carrie Fisher, it would have been cool to see her doing the whole Jedi thing in good health. I don't think Ridley is a lovely actor it just seems they went the Strong Female Protagonist route where they made her tough and impressive and forgot to make her interesting. I don't think she is bad, she is just generic, like a protagonist of Avatar. She is consistently the least interesting character in any given scene.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Xenomrph posted:

Because Daisy Ridley is cool and seems to enjoy working in the setting and is open to seeing what new things could be done with the character, and “what do you do when your legacy heroes and villains are behind you” is an interesting hook.

I would rather them just put all the legacy heroes and villains behind them for real, instead of glomming the Skywalker family name onto someone. I would love a sequel that has zero Skywalkers and Darths and just have some fun with the setting and tell a new story. Andor is the most interesting thing Star Wars has done in ages and it is strengthened by its lack of connection to all the other poo poo. It could have been about a different guy because Andor wasn't all that interesting in Rogue 1, but they managed to do something with the role and abstained from having him have a meet cute with hordes of existing characters.

If Star Wars really wants me to get excited about an old character then goddamnit I want my Jabba origin story. How did a moist slimy space slug end up mayor of sand planet?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She is one of the most popular elements of the ST.

I... guess so? Even if it is true, that is damning with faint praise.

I am a schoolteacher so I get to see what hundreds of kids are into, and I rarely if ever see Rey-Stuff among all the Star Wars gear. I agree that Star Wars needs more ladies, but I feel they did them dirty with a whole series of Nothing Characters like Phasma, Masked Lady in Ep 9, Stormtrooper Horse Lady from the same, and Maz Kanata, who is worse than Jar Jar.

Andor had some good female leads on both sides of the war, but the kids don't go for cool bureaucrats.

Of the Disney era I see a lot of Kylo Ren, BB8, Mando, and Baby Yoda. Even still, for a movie designed to appeal to kids, I think it has long lost its special place and is far less popular than Marvel among that demographic, as well as memey youtube poo poo, but we all knew that was inevitable.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 5, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Of the Disney era I see a lot of Kylo Ren, BB8, Mando, and Baby Yoda. Even still, for a movie designed to appeal to kids, I think it has long lost its special place and is far less popular than Marvel among that demographic, as well as memey youtube poo poo, but we all knew that was inevitable.

I'm a teacher and a dad and this is my observation as well. Star Wars holds no cultural currency for my boys, they still think Star Wars is about a cool dude in a black cloak and helmet and his name is Star Wars. If presented with the choice between several lovely magazines with cheap toys, they will choose pretty much anything over Star Wars. Similarly, in my class, several kids wear Marvel merch but I have yet to spot a single identifiable piece of Star Wars clothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Damning with faint praise is accurate. I don't disagree with any of that, especially the idea that Star Wars isn't the dominant cultural force it once was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hell, at least thanks to Clone Wars nostalgia you'll probably get more Ashoka fans than Rey fans. And she at least has an actual arc and logical justifications for who she is and why she does what she does.

It's really lol how much the sequels are a complete creative dead end, and I think deep down Disney knows it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

I really stopped following Star Wars outside of the Cal Kestis games, but are there ANY books, comics, or other media set post-TROS?

No, there was zero interest in the IP after the movies. The theme park got spectacularly scaled down, the hotel folded after a year and commentaries mocking the IP were more popular than the films they made fun of.

Xenomrph posted:

Because Daisy Ridley is cool and seems to enjoy working in the setting and is open to seeing what new things could be done with the character, and “what do you do when your legacy heroes and villains are behind you” is an interesting hook.

She’s back because her career is in the shitter. Any work is better than none.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really lol how much the sequels are a complete creative dead end, and I think deep down Disney knows it.

It’s just straight up they are contentious and controversial and it’s safer to lean into the period between before/during/slightly after the OT because it keeps the deranged 40 year olds at bay. They also throw in the PT stuff to keep the deranged 20 somethings at bay.

They can write any story about anything. And do something with her character without pretending poo poo doesn’t exist.

They just need someone who didn’t cum when they saw the Star destroyer in the theater back in 1977 to make it. That’s it. That’s the issue with Star Wars right now. Too many weirdos making fan films and a studio too scared to try anything new

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Extra row of tits posted:

No, there was zero interest in the IP after the movies. The theme park got spectacularly scaled down, the hotel folded after a year and commentaries mocking the IP were more popular than the films they made fun of.

That hotel was such a terrible idea.

Just lmao at all of that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The only windows in that entire hotel showed a projection of space travel.

And every cabin room had all the charm of a Marine barracks.

And it was so laughably expensive for only two days.

Nobody, at any point during the brainstorming period, all the way up to the funding, the hiring of contractors, and the construction, said “No, this is a terrible idea. We shouldn’t do this. This is like throwing a fortune into a fireplace.”

There was a way to do that hotel experience, to make it affordable for families and not just 48 hours of being amongst hired actors playing Star Wars characters at all times. But Disney decided to do the opposite.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

I really stopped following Star Wars outside of the Cal Kestis games, but are there ANY books, comics, or other media set post-TROS?

The Star Wars Visions anime anthology series has The Twins and The Ninth Jedi from Volume One set (way) post-TROS, but they (and everything else in the Visions series) are not canon to the Skywalker Saga

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This is neat. This would’ve been a neat Star Wars themed thing at Disney to do maybe once or twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOzHk_9XunI

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Colonel Cool posted:

It really does feel like modern (writers? producers? studios?) are absolutely terrified to give female protagonists flaws or have them struggle with meaningful things ever. I was contrasting it with a few episodes of Avatar I rewatched recently and something I really appreciated was giving Katara actual character flaws that she had to struggle with and overcome. It makes a huge difference to how compelling a character is.

to some extent I think it's writers/the market sort of... catching up? with wish-fulfillment/power fantasy male characters who have no flaws (except for like, drinks but not to the point of getting drunk, or gets angry but only at villains)

so like, forgettable leads who are just kind of there and competently do action hero things are a dime-a-dozen, but the issue with Rey (and Poe, and so on) is that they're in a series that we expect to be better (whether or not that's deserved)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gonz posted:

Nobody, at any point during the brainstorming period, all the way up to the funding, the hiring of contractors, and the construction, said “No, this is a terrible idea. We shouldn’t do this. This is like throwing a fortune into a fireplace.”

There was a way to do that hotel experience, to make it affordable for families and not just 48 hours of being amongst hired actors playing Star Wars characters at all times. But Disney decided to do the opposite.

They had the worst kind of fandom in mind when planning the whole thing out, the kind of deranged manchild who would beggar his family to cosplay as an imperial grunt. And honestly, I don't even blame them. Star Wars has thrived on absolutely insane fan dedication before.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’d just want to each my brunch without being lightly harrassed by an undercover Resistance pilot to help smuggle a datacard full of First Order blueprints to his contact near the obsevation deck.

Just slow your roll a little bit, Disney. God drat.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the ads for the hotel had two women excitedly snitch on Chewie, who as a result was arrested by Stormtroopers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

They had the worst kind of fandom in mind when planning the whole thing out, the kind of deranged manchild who would beggar his family to cosplay as an imperial grunt. And honestly, I don't even blame them. Star Wars has thrived on absolutely insane fan dedication before.

If you’re saying you don’t want to pretend to be a bad guy in a Star Wars role playing thing you’re a drat liar

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

If you’re saying you don’t want to pretend to be a bad guy in a Star Wars role playing thing you’re a drat liar

In general, sure. All the time. But not as the main attraction for a loving family vacation. Especially when it costs a fortune.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

It’s just straight up they are contentious and controversial and it’s safer to lean into the period between before/during/slightly after the OT because it keeps the deranged 40 year olds at bay. They also throw in the PT stuff to keep the deranged 20 somethings at bay.

They can write any story about anything. And do something with her character without pretending poo poo doesn’t exist.

They just need someone who didn’t cum when they saw the Star destroyer in the theater back in 1977 to make it. That’s it. That’s the issue with Star Wars right now. Too many weirdos making fan films and a studio too scared to try anything new

The massive conglomerate megacorporation is not cowering in the corner terrified of the rage of the murderous nerdbrogamerbrobadfanbros.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

That isn't really the hook they are selling though. We know she's training the next generation of Jedi at her academy, so the hook is basically "What if we made the Luke film everyone wanted but with Rey."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Good Luke

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gonz posted:

The worst part might be the scheduling. How do you make 2 days of that work in the middle of a 4-5 day vacation? Even if you booked it exactly right the logistics of it fucks up an entire loving day worth of vacation time.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

That hotel was such a terrible idea.

Just lmao at all of that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How did the hotel even work? Are cast members just standing around with a giant exclamation mark over their heads like an MMO quest giver? Do they seek you out and engage you on their own hoping they get every guest?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My understanding is there was a phone app that would let you choose and advance the quest lines, if/when it was working correctly. Basically you and a large group of other cattle would do some chores during the free time and then get invited to activities not on the main schedule with some actors based on what path you picked.

For example IIRC on the jedi path you and 30 other people eventually get invited to some side room to watch the rey actress watch a hologram of yoda she found

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 5, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The massive conglomerate megacorporation is not cowering in the corner terrified of the rage of the murderous nerdbrogamerbrobadfanbros.

They’re not afraid of them in a traditional sense. But they are terrified of alienating then again.

Marvel is dealing with the same thing for the first time. They’re already backpedaling their tv shows. poo poo ain’t workin

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

banned from Starbucks posted:

How did the hotel even work? Are cast members just standing around with a giant exclamation mark over their heads like an MMO quest giver? Do they seek you out and engage you on their own hoping they get every guest?

From what I remember:

there were 3 "factions": Rebel, Imperial, Smuggler. You could either book through the app or, the day you arrived, the staff would chat you up and offer you an alliance.

Once "you" (the visitor) picked a faction you were given activity times. You could attend those activities and participate in LARP style stuff with some light gameified objectives. If you didn't ever join a faction, that was supported, but you would miss out on some stuff.

I watched a couple of people's experiences through VODs on Youtube (I was curious). There were some interesting ideas, and at least one of the people had a cool twist (his room attendant was captured and killed by the Imperials, in an obvious scripted sequence - but still neat) but ultimately, in my estimation, they were charging about 4 - 5x what it was actually worth.

It also suffered from trying to be all things to all people. IIRC there was an actual gambling area, a bar for adults, but also kid poo poo. It's been my experience that kind of thing doesn't work. You either ditch the kids or you go all in for the kids and let the adults live vicariously through them. They didn't do that. They tried to please everyone and therefore pleased no one.

There was also problems with very obvious cost-cutting.

I will say that the performers they got were very good. They were facilitating a good experience and seemed to be happy that they got to cosplay Star Wars for a living. Everything else was mediocre to bad.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder what Baudrillard would have made of the Star Wars hotel. There's a kind of totalizing hubris here that I think would have tickled his fancy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think it's hubris. Someone was given a directive to make it, and they hired people with hospitality experience to committee it into existence. There is no auteur here. There's nobody who had the dream of a Star Wars Hotel, who was consumed by it, who wanted to make it reality. No champion. It was a corporate product, made at the directive of some bean counter who showed some executive a spreadsheet and powerpoint deck with charts and figures on how the luxury hotel industry was growing by X% and Star Wars had Y% awareness and polling showed that Z% of people would pay whatever amount of dollars to LARP Star Wars.

The suits have not figured out that the Renaissance had it right. You find somebody who is passionate about your vague idea ("an action movie") and has something to say, give them money, and hope for the best.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 5, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1732107490198946124

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

“Westworld, but Star Wars” could be incredible.

But Disney probably isn’t capable of hiring anyone to make such a thing succeed. It’s corporate bean counters all the way down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The problem is I can’t grab a fake blaster or lightsaber and fight people. I’m sorry but that’s the kind of poo poo I want to get into it I’m in a star war

And if I’m paying 5 grand I want that option dammnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

high realism Galactic Starcruiser where stormtroopers bust into your room and take you prisoner