Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CBD Corndog posted:

Apparently the preview update released yesterday fixes the Explorer popups
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/11/16/releasing-windows-11-builds-22621-2787-and-22631-2787-to-the-release-preview-channel/

but also adds a bunch of lovely Copilot stuff

Lol:

quote:

This update addresses an issue that affects File Explorer windows. When you do not expect them, they appear in the foreground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Windows 12 will be built with a foundation of AI, require a VR headset with haptic feedback controllers to ensure the full synergistic MS Windows experience.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ive been calling it winblows 12

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used Bing AI to generate a screenshot of the Windows 12 Start menu! :kiddo:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lgtm, ship it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I used Bing AI to generate a screenshot of the Windows 12 Start menu! :kiddo:

Even Bing uses Chrome.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wa27 posted:

Even Bing uses Chrome.

X (formerly Cralokestriө)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft stop making short-lived gimmicks a foundational part of your OS challenge

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The shittiest part of Windows 12 is going to be how hard it is to remove Copilot and all it's "Features" from the OS.

Basically:

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft stop making short-lived gimmicks a foundational part of your OS challenge

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows 8 was getting caught without a mobile strategy so everything was full screen apps, Windows 10 was Cortana to the rescue, Windows 11 is Copilot being shoehorned in everywhere and probably some janky Bing poo poo as well depending on what that product manager has for targets in the quarter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The shittiest part of Windows 12 is going to be how hard it is to remove Copilot and all it's "Features" from the OS.

Basically:

But Copilot might have fixed your "it's" :v:

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If I could say to copilot: "install spotify, Sumatra pdf, Vivaldi and discord. After that disable yourself" that would be fuckin rad actually.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

But Copilot might have fixed your "it's" :v:

And I'd be mad about it! Literally clippy 2.0! "It looks like you used the contraction 'it's' when you meant to used the possessive 'its' - do you want me to autocorrect this for you??"

No - gently caress off. I'd rather my bad grammar be immortalized then ever see my computer comment about it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Clippy but it takes ten minutes to respond and uses a bathtub's worth of water for each question

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

don't make me tap the sign, bill gates

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

And I'd be mad about it! Literally clippy 2.0! "It looks like you used the contraction 'it's' when you meant to used the possessive 'its' - do you want me to autocorrect this for you??"

No - gently caress off. I'd rather my bad grammar be immortalized then ever see my computer comment about it.

meanwhile macos has system level spellchecking and autocorrect that just work and have for years

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

meanwhile macos has system level spellchecking and autocorrect that just work and have for years

system-level autocorrect is not a feature, (and honestly, neither is spell check).

Windows sucks these days and Windows 11 is hot loving trash, but MacOS is literally all the worst parts of Windows amped up to 11. Put a gun to my head and I'd choose Windows 11 over MacOS every time.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 6, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

system-level autocorrect is not a feature, (and honestly, neither is spell check).

Windows sucks these days and Windows 11 is hot loving trash, but MacOS is literally all the worst parts of Windows amped up to 11. Put a gun to my head and I'd choose Windows 11 over MacOS every time.

:hmmyes:

There's a reason I spend the vast majority of my non-work time on a Linux desktop. Outside of work, Windows has been primarily a gaming platform for me for years and years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Continued exposure to Windows is a poison that slowly builds up and breaks you until it feels normal, like having Fox News on all day. I’ve luckily only spent mere minutes in Win 11 so far and to make my life more pleasant I’ve gone from running Win 10 and being remoted into my Mac for most of the work day, to just replacing the Windows box with another Mac and running it in VM. Now it’s just a swipe away when it decides to make something simple a loving chore.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:hmmyes:

There's a reason I spend the vast majority of my non-work time on a Linux desktop. Outside of work, Windows has been primarily a gaming platform for me for years and years.

This is very likely the future I'm going to be a part of. Proton is getting real good and more games are actually shipping with Vulcan. It doesn't do anything for the Linux drivers of GPUs which last I looked are still in a real sad state, but the Steam Deck is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. It would be a monstrous pain to give up Visual Studio, but maybe that's the price I have to ultimately pay. I haven't used Linux outside of an administration context for many years. What is the current distro de jour?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Continued exposure to Windows is a poison that slowly builds up and breaks you until it feels normal, like having Fox News on all day. I’ve luckily only spent mere minutes in Win 11 so far and to make my life more pleasant I’ve gone from running Win 10 and being remoted into my Mac for most of the work day, to just replacing the Windows box with another Mac and running it in VM. Now it’s just a swipe away when it decides to make something simple a loving chore.

I will maintain that MacOS is a toy operating system for toys. I used to admin them from 10.3 to 10.9 and then I had to use them for my job a couple years ago for about 18 months - it was miserable. It is so close to phone-level functionality that I'm waiting for the day for them to declare 'side loading' anything onto a general purpose operating system isn't allowed for 'security and privacy'. It is the best OS for absolutely nothing unless your use case is unbelievably basic.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 6, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

This is very likely the future I'm going to be a part of. Proton is getting real good and more games are actually shipping with Vulcan. It doesn't do anything for the Linux drivers of GPUs which last I looked are still in a real sad state, but the Steam Deck is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. It would be a monstrous pain to give up Visual Studio, but maybe that's the price I have to ultimately pay. I haven't used Linux outside of an administration context for many years. What is the current distro de jour?

Just run something well-supported like Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

Regardless of distribution you'll probably want KDE Plasma as your DE.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gnome3 is something you inflict on your enemies

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is the best OS for absolutely nothing unless your use case is unbelievably basic.

I think that’s why I like it in a weird way. Doing basic things right is good. I don’t spend my casual time in front of the computer doing anything specifically complicated for most of the time, but I do get irritated when simple, straight forward things lead down a path of cryptic error messages with zero usable feedback and then the garbage fire of the Microsoft expert community being the first hits when you try to troubleshoot it.

Microsoft just cannot grasp this simple fact still, or maybe I’m just the unluckiest user alive and I’m getting the poo poo end of every stick, and people should thank me for being the one who gets things like ‘oh this particular installer image broke USB compatibility so nothing attached to the computer works now’ and other delights I’ve dealt with over the years.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been running OpenSUSE exclusively since around 2010 or 2011, and it's been great. I currently have it on two active machines, one with the stable release and the other with the rolling release (Tumbleweed), and it's to the point I'm considering just going to the rolling release on both. I use the Nvidia proprietary drivers and they haven't caused me headaches in a while now, knock on wood.

astral posted:

Regardless of distribution you'll probably want KDE Plasma as your DE.

Also, this. KDE is great, and is better at being Windows than Windows is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
well, in case you haven't been keeping up, there *are* about to be a few bumpy patches going forward. Fedora and Red Hat have elected to drop X11 entirely, focusing all of their efforts on Wayland instead. Also, KDE 6 Plasma is in beta as of like, three days ago?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 6, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah count me in the 'Windows sucks but by god you'll never catch me on OSX' crowd. The hardware's fantastic, but if Windows gets bad enough I'm hopping straight to Linux...I just really don't want to deal with linux on the desktop, not to mention an added layer of weird bugs on my gaming rig. Proton is great and all but even on my steam deck I've got a handful of titles I've had to do experimental weird builds to get stuff working.

Please Microsoft, go clear up the brain worms in your goddamn UX team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm the other way, I'd have no issues using macOS but I'm not using a system with soldered down storage where every issue requires it to go back to Apple for parts to be replaced.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
what's the best system debloater

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to start a MacOS versus Windows war, just clown on how bad Microsoft is at basic system use poo poo these days.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

ziasquinn posted:

Probably none of them. The risk to needlessly damage or hobble your system is larger than any kind of modicum of performance you will eek out. Just hide or uninstall prominent stuff which you don't use (the list should be pretty short) and don't worry about the rest.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Serotoning posted:

Probably none of them. The risk to needlessly damage or hobble your system is larger than any kind of modicum of performance you will eek out. Just hide or uninstall prominent stuff which you don't use (the list should be pretty short) and don't worry about the rest.

this

debloaters are for people who think turning UAC off is a good idea

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ziasquinn posted:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
alright jeez sorry!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I hate system-wide spellcheck so much I gave up on using computers entirely and took a job in construction because god help me no man or beast can make me go into Settings and toggle it off like a normal person.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Arivia posted:

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to start a MacOS versus Windows war, just clown on how bad Microsoft is at basic system use poo poo these days.

That’s fair. I’m a Windows user, but I’m happiest when I’ve already used third-party software to fix the UI/UX/behavior! I use Stardock’s Object Desktop, which is expensive but I have the hookup with a developer after randomly praising a bit of work he personally programmed on an unrelated Windows forum. I’m so used to its customization that when my 2year comp is up I’ll probably just pay the fee (I’ll look for a coupon or deal, obviously).

Just sucks that Win11 is actually pretty great to me, but you must use software to fix it. :argh::bang:

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

ziasquinn posted:

https://bmrf.org/repos/tron

Also: https://www.cttstore.com/downloads

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
upgrading to w11 broke my ethernet driver so thank god i had wifi to pull the updated driver off realtek. Modern operation system!!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have an install of Forza 7, I don't know what weird rear end microsoft launcher originally installed it because Windows Store doesn't know about it. it has some permissions poo poo going on that won't let me delete it. even in an admin command prompt I get rejected:

code:
E:\WindowsApps>del /f "Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe"
E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxBlockMap.xml
Access is denied.
E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxSignature.p7x
Access is denied.
so what can I do here? is there a windows equivalent to sudo?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

ziasquinn posted:

upgrading to w11 broke my ethernet driver so thank god i had wifi to pull the updated driver off realtek. Modern operation system!!

I've seen windows update uninstall TouchPad drivers. So that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I have an install of Forza 7, I don't know what weird rear end microsoft launcher originally installed it because Windows Store doesn't know about it. it has some permissions poo poo going on that won't let me delete it. even in an admin command prompt I get rejected:

code:
E:\WindowsApps>del /f "Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe"
E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxBlockMap.xml
Access is denied.
E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_1.174.4791.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxSignature.p7x
Access is denied.
so what can I do here? is there a windows equivalent to sudo?

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/software-uninstall-with-powershell-package-management.html