Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At least Soulja Boy will be stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

I bought Light Brigade on the meta store, but i'm waiting until the devs do a Quest 3 update before I play it.

If you enable the beta versions in Oculus you will get what they said on discord is basically going to be q3 release.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ShaneB posted:

If you enable the beta versions in Oculus you will get what they said on discord is basically going to be q3 release.

How do you do that?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

H3VR's a lot of fun, especially as they just added a new Take-and-Hold level, but it is wholly dependent on how interested you are in shooting firearms with realistically-modeled physics both common and rare.

And sometimes very, very, cursed firearms as well. Whether by actual historical design, or something silly made just for fun. Like a hand-held brace for a 50-Cal bullet fired by whacking it with a big mallet held in your other hand.
Yeah I do like fiddling with guns and stuff. Just wondering what has more legs, H3 or that Light Brigade one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

How do you do that?

It's stupid. In the phone app at least scroll down to more information, drop the carat for more lines, click the version number, then go to channel and select public beta.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Croccers posted:

Yeah I do like fiddling with guns and stuff. Just wondering what has more legs, H3 or that Light Brigade one.

Light Brigade is more of a "game" between the two, H3VR is fun but very much a sandbox where like Neddy said you have a few fun game modes but it is largely about spawning in guns and attachments on a range and shooting targets at the range. If you want a roguelike VR shooter then Light Brigade seems to be the one you'd want, if you want fuckaround sandbox stuff with meticulously crafted real life weapons then H3VR would be a good choice because it's the best one of those on VR hands down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

explosivo posted:

Light Brigade is more of a "game" between the two, H3VR is fun but very much a sandbox where like Neddy said you have a few fun game modes but it is largely about spawning in guns and attachments on a range and shooting targets at the range. If you want a roguelike VR shooter then Light Brigade seems to be the one you'd want, if you want fuckaround sandbox stuff with meticulously crafted real life weapons then H3VR would be a good choice because it's the best one of those on VR hands down.

H3VR also has regular content updates from its creator too.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

My father in law is building a PC for VR gaming eventually, and I noticed that Logical Increments is recommending only AMD cards at several levels but still saying they're good at VR performance - did something drastically change on NVidia vs AMD on VR or is this info faulty?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not aware of any specific advantages to either one outside of AMD being more cost effective if you're not interested in raytracing and DLSS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dietrich posted:

My father in law is building a PC for VR gaming eventually, and I noticed that Logical Increments is recommending only AMD cards at several levels but still saying they're good at VR performance - did something drastically change on NVidia vs AMD on VR or is this info faulty?

Nvidia's VR performance is for some reason way better than AMD's. Also don't take parts advice from Logical Increments, the site that still recommends mechanical hard drives as primary storage. Use PCPartPicker instead and look at the stuff people have actually built.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, AMD is largely dead in the water for VR and from what I understand it's mostly that AMD could make their video cards work with the HMDs, but they don't really.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I’m looking at buying a quest 3, am I going to regret the 128gb storage enough to buy the 512?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jxforema posted:

I’m looking at buying a quest 3, am I going to regret the 128gb storage enough to buy the 512?

Games aren't big and WiFi is fast. You should be fine.

Edit: they will likely get bigger but right now the largest is MoH (unoptimized for 3) and it's like 50gb. Most games are 1-5gb or in the teens.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jxforema posted:

Not in the least. VR games are getting larger in size but generally most of the time they're a couple gigs at most. Especially if you have a decent PC/Router and plan on trying PCVR stuff too since all that streams from your PC and local storage on the headset won't matter.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mutata posted:

A friend of mine art directed an entire game for him that has just... disappeared into the ether.

Dang, that sucks.

I guess better than what you worked on disappearing and you don't get paid :v: but still.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

Yeah, AMD is largely dead in the water for VR and from what I understand it's mostly that AMD could make their video cards work with the HMDs, but they don't really.
i'm on linux so amd is p. much the only choice but my friend still plays beat saber on a radeon 480 on windows, what is it about new AMD cards that doesn't work with the HMDs?

e: after a bit of googling it seems 7000 series has issues with a few vr games... but only on windows lmfao
ayymd lmao

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 5, 2023

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bishop Beo posted:

Is Vertigo 2 worth picking up? I've played and enjoyed a whole bunch of other singleplayer VR games but I somehow missed this one.

It's one of the best VR games of the year. Fun weapons, good enemy variety, cool boss fights, quirky art style, lengthy campaign. And they added more stuff to it recently so i'll be replaying it soon.

ShaneB posted:

Thanks, i'll have to check that out.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So the Arizona Sunshine 2 reviews look disappointing. 4-5 hour campaign. Only one horde mode map reused from the first game. No boss fights. Little reason to explore. I'll probably wait for it to go on sale. Could be worth it for co-op.

Vertigo 2 was made mostly by one person, it's half the price, and has all the goodies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got a 128gb Quest 3 for non-PC gaming and I haven't had any problems with the storage space, I have about a dozen games installed and still plenty of overhead

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

I went with the larger size because I was constantly fighting for space on the 64gb quest 2. That involved a lot of Beat Saber custom songs and being a digital packrat. You should be fine with the 128gb. I haven't used that much space on my quest 3 so far and would have been fine with the smaller one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks, i'll have to check that out.

I find both graphics options a bit annoying. There are semi frequent issues with terrain not displaying even if it's somewhat close, like a rock wall I can see an enemy through but not shoot. Pop-up is a bit odd like that. I need to revisit the discord to see what's up but don't really want to... It plays better PC native but I wanted it standalone as it's not that graphically intense.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Saber has five new free songs in the OST6

including one done by Dragonforce in exclusive for the game, lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jovdRlXz8sk

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Beat Saber has five new free songs in the OST6

including one done by Dragonforce in exclusive for the game, lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jovdRlXz8sk

Honestly, I gave it a go today and couldn't enjoy any of the new maps. Dragonforce has window notes that are there only to gently caress up people sight reading. Its not ranked, theres no reason to add that poo poo for PP reasons. Its absolutely trash tier. The only redeeming point is the wacky bombs with the inside 2 hand cut. And thats just a throwback to boomer saber mapping and really is only "great" to boomer saber players as a straight up meme. Because its a trash pattern.

Everything else in the E+ range is 'trying' really hard to feel/be tech but fall short at every step.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
“Boomer” saber? The game is just over five years old, Jesus Christ

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Apparently you have not peeked under the hood at the world of ranked/hardcore Beat Saber. It's loving insane.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm playing on a 6800XT and haven't had any issues. The most taxing game I've played on it is Half Life Alyx so maybe I'll encounter them later. I've also played Dirt Rally 2, Hitman 3 and Super Hot without issue.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShaneB posted:

Apparently you have not peeked under the hood at the world of ranked/hardcore Beat Saber. It's loving insane.

Its very wild. Holding top 150 was a pain in the rear end enough that I gave up and am a 4 digit scrub now.

Tho I'll say ranked maps are still better than unranked maps 99 times out of 100. Theres at least some sort of ruleset that has to be followed.

tehinternet posted:

“Boomer” saber? The game is just over five years old, Jesus Christ

Yeah. Basically old saber = Boomer saber. Its a thing. Community is weird. But basically anything in the first yearish is boomer saber.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Oh fair enough, this being SA I get dumb community jargon

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What are unranked vs ranked maps, again?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Arizona Sunshine 2 reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfgCtdlBDz0
Rare 9/10 from 6dof

https://www.uploadvr.com/arizona-sunshine-2-review/
5/5 from UploadVR

https://www.ign.com/articles/arizona-sunshine-2-review
8/10 from Ign

https://www.realovirtual.com/articulos/6436/arizona-sunshine-2-analisis (Spanish)
7.5/10, they say it's a very standard linear zombie action game, same old as we have seen several times, but now in VR

edit: one more, also positive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Lu52bAT-M

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 6, 2023

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

IGN said it was a 15 hour game. Other reviews said 4 hours.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

IGN said it was a 15 hour game. Other reviews said 4 hours.

Some people are saying 6 to 8 hours, closer to 8 hours, 10 on hard.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Like, I get why it's zombies and shadow monster things all the time, but I'd like some more over-the-top Punk Gang (Mad Max/Cyberpunk/Whatever) things to shoot, give them neon blood or whatever. Or Combine-like human/robot combos. Or even just slap furries in.
Payday 2 works for shooting cops at least.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 6, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Croccers posted:

Or even just slap furries in.

Tell me more about your thinking here.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I like shooting hot dogs. They get reconstituted every night.

"You ever feel like you're being watched by like, greasy folk with weird machines on their face?"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Turin Turambar posted:

What are unranked vs ranked maps, again?

Community / Custom Beat Saber maps are anything goes, so the community estabished a set of rules & guidelines on how maps should be made, and then gave a bunch of the maps that met that criteria "ranked" status so you can earn points on the community leaderboards. Ranked maps get vetted and then get assigned a difficulty rating (in stars) similar to OSU, DDR, other rhythm games and gives you a general idea of how hard it's going to play.

Unranked maps are simply everything else. With un-ranked maps there's nothing stopping the mapper from putting in handclap [>] [<] patterns that could potentially break your controllers. (And any other poo poo pattern)

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah. Basically old saber = Boomer saber. Its a thing. Community is weird. But basically anything in the first yearish is boomer saber.

They also consider anyone over 18 "past their prime" and a "boomer"... because of course the top of the top players are all children.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Embargo dropped on Asgards Wrath 2, first impressions are very favorable. Looks to be about 100 hours with a commitment to keep updating with post launch content.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I think Asgards Wrath 2 is gonna be to VR what Halo was for the original xbox.

First game was outstanding. Meta is giving the game away for free because they know people are gonna buy the headset just for this game. I think it will be that good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBkaTOT8_-E
Another UploadVR showcase. I will watch it on FF to see if there some interesting trailer out there.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

mutata posted:

Tell me more about your thinking here.
Look at Friends vs Friends and Party Animals and such for bright colourful striking things instead of just zombiezombiezombie or fuzzy shadow thing.