Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phlegmish posted:

I took a look at Euro Truck Simulator 2 out of curiosity, and it has a whopping 526,033 reviews, with a score of 97%. I assume this is because the entire population of Germany bought it, but that's still wildly more popular than I was expecting

Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim might be the ideal podcast games. They're extremely good at delivering on the promise of driving on highways and delivering cargo for long stretches of time. Then there's neat stuff like how as you get more money you can start your own company, hire drivers, and basically have a low-key management sim running in the background as you keep driving. Would rec if you want to be chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello! I am probably not the person to ask as I've only played one, and that was because a friend pushed me into it, but I am genuinely enjoying PUBG for these reasons:

1) It is free and not pay to win at all, the paid stuff is cosmetics
2) It is a slow, tactical game that's more about positioning than your aim or frantic movement or w/e.
3) Simple to understand: drop from plane, loot nearby buildings for guns/ammo/armor, shoot anyone who approaches you.
4) Since your movement is fairly slow and you are surprisingly tanky for an FPS, it takes several shots to die - which goes for your enemies too. So being good at hiding, or having cover to pop into/out of, and knowing how to avoid being flanked is key.
5) It feels like a horror game at times. Long stretches of nothing followed by "poo poo" and shooting someone you found and then hiding behind a rock as you apply healing.

e: Note that my aim is garbage and I don't really play FPSes except for story, so the fact that I'm enjoying this says a lot about the game (I hope). It's fun! I like to play solo or hang with my friends and try to contribute. (In general I do OK. I will not win them matches but I am a warm body who will draw fire and call out where enemies are, and sometimes I get kills or assists of my own!)

Oh I forgot this went free, will download it. Sounds my type of game.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

no joke, Fortnite No-Build mode is the perfect one to start with

free, fun, a billion players at all skill levels, lots of fun and goofy mechanics, will run on any machine

Ya I think I played Fortnite with the build mode and didn't play too much to learn everything.

How does Apex Legends fit into this? is that only good if you have friends to play with?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apex is good but it only offers duos and trios, so if you don't have anyone else to play with you will have to subject yourself to randoms

fortnite and PUBG allow you to play solo

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
PUBG is still a really good BR and lots of people play so there's a good pool. I think the new warzone launches today or tomorrow as well. Never been a big fan of warzone though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d just do Fortnite tbh.

The no build mode is the way to go.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ulio posted:

Can anyone recommend whats a good battle royal(paid or free) for someone who has completely not touched the genre? Don't mind if it's outside of Steam as either.

call of duty warzone is free to play

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

No build fortnite for sure. Game's a blast, IAP's are all entirely cosmetic and the game itself is very fun to play without the pressure of having to build poo poo quickly every time you get into a confrontation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i never got along with warzone because the loadout system is a stealth P2W mechanic, as it's dramatically easier to unlock stuff in the full version of COD and that progression carries over to warzone

the other big BRs have little to no progression treadmill that affects gameplay

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo Fortnite is much quicker to get in and out of vs warzone. Warzone felt like it could take ages to either find someone or you die quick Af and it takes forever to get back into a game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

Same. This thread shines when someone provides a detailed review/critique of a game, or the demo/previews that 7th Guest, and a few others put in the huge effort to contribute. It's dull when people need to tell everyone in the thread that they hate said game, or upcoming game is gonna suck. No one cares. The world sucks enough as it is right now. Try to find and highlight the good things about our hobby/escape.

2023 has been a great year for games in general. I know I'm struggling to find time to play all the good ones I've bought.

Absolutely a banner year for good games. I started playing Mario Wonder last night for the first time and I was grinning the entire time. Just an absolute treat so far.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Aphex- posted:

Lol this thread has become so negative about every game. I'm gonna play the poo poo out of the new GTA and have a great time, just like I did with RDR2 and GTAV.

tbh ignoring Jack Trades solves like 80% of it. This thread's absolutely got a list of known-cranks going.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 5, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

Games have gotten a lot worse in general since RDR2 and GTAV :shrug:

I got to clown on this guy a little like everyone else and also help build my GOTY list for later

Good games that have released just this year (2023 CE):

Talos Principle 2, Void Stranger, Dave The Diver, My Time in Sandrock, Eigengrau, In Stars and Time, Afterimage, I Wanna Maker, Wildmender, STASIS: BONE TOTEM, TEVI, Storyteller, Baldur's Gate 3, Armored Core 6, HI-Fi Rush, Remanent 2, Dredge, Street Fighter 6, Pizza Tower, Lies of P, Humanity, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, COCOON, Laika: Aged Through Blood, Chants of Sennaar

edit: Jusant, Alan Wake 2, Amnesia: The Bunker (there's so many)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 5, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

KakerMix posted:

The GTA IV trailer is exceptionally Florida in a lot of subtle ways. Like yeah the guy watering his lawn and the alligators but the toll roads, the way the keys are laid out, the broken/abandoned bridge right next to the new one, the lighting, it's all very, very well done. I don't know if I'm the right sort of person to play a new GTA game anymore, I absolutely will not be taking part in multiplayer so that might decide for me right there. Sure does look good though!

thats basically the core why I still love Rockstar SP games. Their incredible detailed world building, animations, overall design. It's always great to just enjoy the world almost regardless of liking story or characters as such. The way they're done just technically is always amazing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Squiggle posted:

tbh ignoring Jack Trades and deep dish peat moss solves like 80% of it. This thread's absolutely got a list of known-cranks going.

This is funny because almost all of my posts ITT are singing the praises of games I like or doing mostly-positive first impressions of games :allears:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

fez_machine posted:

Talos Principle 2, Void Stranger, Dave The Diver, My Time in Sandrock, Eigengrau, In Stars and Time, Afterimage, I Wanna Maker, Wildmender, STASIS: BONE TOTEM, TEVI, Storyteller, Baldur's Gate 3, Armored Core 6, HI-Fi Rush, Remanent 2, Dredge, Street Fighter 6, Pizza Tower, Lies of P, Humanity, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, COCOON, Laika: Aged Through Blood, Chants of Sennaar

If we include stuff that's not PC you get more big headliner games like Zelda TOTK, Super Mario Wonder, FFXVI, Marvel's Spider-Man 2...

And if you're a fan of the Vampire Survivor genre there's quite a few that are all vying for the top spot like Halls of Torment...

And if you're counting early access games then we have stuff like Balatro...

Superb A++++++++ year for games!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Imo Fortnite is much quicker to get in and out of vs warzone. Warzone felt like it could take ages to either find someone or you die quick Af and it takes forever to get back into a game.

Something is different about the guns in Warzone vs Battlefield 2042 that makes me terrible at the former but at least "slightly above average" at the latter (I'd say that I have a >50% chance of winning any infantry encounters in BF2042, while it's more like <20% in Warzone). It's hard to put my finger on what it is, though.

It feels like my TTK against enemies in Warzone (where it feels like I can sometimes unload most of a magazine into a guy without them dying) is just way higher than it is in BF2042, but that their TTK against me is almost the same. Are the guns in Warzone maybe less balanced and I'm just choosing badly?

There are only two clear mechanical differences I've identified, but they don't seem to fully explain the gap in performance:
1. Automatic guns generally seem a lot more stable/accurate in Warzone. I can laser guys with an SMG from very far away.
2. Any sort of long-range scoped gun is very hard for me to use in Warzone, because the gun's recoil prevents me from seeing where the shot went. This eliminates one of my two most common gameplay types in BF2042 (marksman rifles).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Since they’ve both come up today, I remember back in 2015 or whatever thinking someone should make a multiplayer thing combining Farm Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator. One person grows the crops, the other drives it to BigCity01 to sell it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

fez_machine posted:

I got to clown on this guy a little like everyone else and also help build my GOTY list for later

This mf spittin

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is funny because almost all of my posts ITT are singing the praises of games I like or doing mostly-positive first impressions of games :allears:

poo poo sorry, yes, I've realized that we have diametrically opposed opinions on almost everything so you're my "if they like it I probably won't" bellwether. The crank I was thinking of was K8.0.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 5, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

fez_machine posted:

2023 of Games motherfucker, you know what's up.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wanna see someone use one of those super realistic racing car cockpits to play farm simulator and exclusively drive tractors at 10mph

After a quick look, I didn't see a lot of super-realistic ones, but I did see a lot of setups like this with three screens, a wheel, and a joystick with maybe one custom piece added. Maybe ask the DCS people if they moonlight in Farming Simulator sometimes?

Also, how can 2023 be bad when we're getting more Vampire Survivors content... *checks watch* tomorrow!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ytlaya posted:

Something about Steam Big Picture mode has been hosed up for a while now. It's just constantly running into weird bugs, even after I did a full reinstall. Among the issues I've run into
- Switching to Big Picture mode often takes a very long time, and some sort of error will sometimes pop up complaining about Steam web helper (the solution to this I found online was to delete a bunch of folders and let Steam update itself, which I did, but the issue returned not too long after).
- Switching from Big Picture back to regular will cause multiple instances of Steam to appear (like usually at least 3, sometimes as many as like 5).
- Switching to Big Picture from the drop-down menu frequently straight-up doesn't work, and I have to do it by right-clicking on Steam in the task bar

I have no advice but I have also found that sometimes it just doesn't want to switch to big picture. It's like a 25% success rate on the controller home button actually doing it like it's supposed to. Even when clicking the menu with the mouse it still might just decide to do nothing. Sometimes I give up and use the controller to navigate regular mode instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420110/Horizon_Forbidden_West_Complete_Edition/

:toot: I suppose the novelty of Tearing off dinosaur armor has worn off, but I thoroughly enjoyed HZD. Been looking forward to this being officially announced for PC for a while. "Early 2024".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fez_machine posted:

You made these ones up

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020

Sab669 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420110/Horizon_Forbidden_West_Complete_Edition/

:toot: I suppose the novelty of Tearing off dinosaur armor has worn off, but I thoroughly enjoyed HZD. Been looking forward to this being officially announced for PC for a while. "Early 2024".
It was announced for PC in September

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bill Decker posted:

It was announced for PC in September

:monocle: first I'm hearing of it!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawards2023

Geoff Keighley rides again, I guess.

EDIT: Might as well post the partner shows, which look like they've got some decently interesting previews of games "Coming Soon".

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/35411526/sale/wholesomesnack

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/43041140/sale/dayofthedevstga2023

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 6, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually didn't realize we could vote for these, but once I did - straight ticket BG3

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bobthenameless posted:

now is that a real poncho or is that a sears poncho

Don't want this to get lost in all the GTA chat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i love that "game award winners of 2022" includes the multiversus open beta that is no longer playable for a game which is yet to release.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jossar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawards2023

Geoff Keighley rides again, I guess.

EDIT: Might as well post the partner shows, which look like they've got some decently interesting previews of games "Coming Soon".

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/35411526/sale/wholesomesnack

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/43041140/sale/dayofthedevstga2023

why is hades 2 showing up under nominated games when it aint out yet

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

why is hades 2 showing up under nominated games when it aint out yet

They have a "Most Anticipated" category.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fez_machine posted:

system shock remake

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Begemot posted:

They have a "Most Anticipated" category.

then why isn't silksong on there

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mother of god

https://x.com/poncle_vampire/status/1731706763605426560?s=20

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i've been waiting weeks for a release date. i'm hyped.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

repiv posted:

then why isn't silksong on there

"Most Anticipated Game That Will Ever Actually Release" was too long to fit on the placard

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

https://hard-drive.net/hd/video-games/ranked-every-single-game-in-the-hollow-knight-franchise/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

these fake fans haven't even played hungry knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wait, hollow knight only came out in 2017 and people are already clamoring for a sequel?