Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Big Mac posted:

I thought about not seeing a body meaning she might still be alive, but at the same time I was so struck with how intensely the atomic blast hit and leveled everything, that I believed not showing a body was another callback to the atomic bombs and the total vaporization of so many of the victims.

I was actually theorizing earlier today about this. We see multiple times Godzilla regenerating from battle damage, and even regrowing in some sort of membrane after being destroyed in the final confrontation. We also get that cliffhanger shot of dark black veins on Noriko's neck. This makes me wonder if what happened is simply that Noriko survives the blast and we dont see her body in order to have the reveal at the end, plus she has some sort of infestation/cancerous mass from the explosion- or something about her exposure caused her dead body to regenerate and this is why the black veins are there. Admittedly an out there theory, but I wonder if they are setting up a sequel film about some sort of transformation that victims in the Godzilla attack undergo- The dead coming back to life but changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

checkplease posted:

That does like a good movie alternative though.

sounds dumb and typical US action movie script
not sure how he would convince godzilla to help them beat down the americans and win WWII would make for a very different movie

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 5, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if Godzillas super regeneration ability came from the A test or if it predated it. This is WRT if the 20mm canon would have done anything at all

Probably not, it was a kamikaze plane, he'd be lucky to have AP rounds in there at all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

GateOfD posted:

sounds dumb and typical US action movie script
not sure how he would convince godzilla to help them beat down the americans and win WWII would make for a very different movie

he and the other soldiers would join godzilla, to help godzilla beat both imperial japan and the united states. dictatorship of the proletariat optional

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 5, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mac posted:

I thought about not seeing a body meaning she might still be alive, but at the same time I was so struck with how intensely the atomic blast hit and leveled everything, that I believed not showing a body was another callback to the atomic bombs and the total vaporization of so many of the victims.

We didn't see any bodies at all, so I'll give it an exception to the "no body" rule. I was assuming there'd be a bunch of absolutely wrecked people in the rubble, but everyone around got completely wiped out when the shockwave hit.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Monsterverse" is just embarrassing at this point. No thanks.

Hilarious how it’s one of the only successful ones lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw G -1 on the weekend and yup agree with most of what's already been said.

The minesweeper crew are all really well done, especially the captain. You can tell he's seen, and maybe done, some awful poo poo and his easygoing attitude is his way of coping. Hope we get to see the actor in more movies that make their way here.

I appreciate the direction letting so many scenes breathe - someone's feeling anguish, or pain, or fear, and there's no conclusion to it. They just have to kind of sit in it, and then it's a day or half a year later and life's moved on.

The atomic breath effects were astonishing, and yeah lol at the idea of Nolan watching this and going "aw, dammit".

As soon as they said "we have a fighter plane, but it's... different" I was expecting the Shinden and they sure didn't disappoint. It's one of those really cool planes that never really got the chance to exist. Apparently the one on set was a full scale replica. Even if it was made of prop material and not sheet metal it can't have been cheap.

Also a touch aggrieved about the constant use of "jet fighters" in the subs. Hopefully that'll get amended for the home releases.

E:

Big Mac posted:

I don't know if Godzilla has ever looked scarier than the shots of him pursuing the minesweeper in Minus One. Such an unbeatable visual.

Oh, I'd say the bit at the end where he's charging up the atomic breath one last time, and even though his eyes are fogged over from the world's worst case of the bends, the light is still pouring through them like pure hate is worse, but that's my opinion

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 5, 2023

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Outside of OG Godzilla, Shin, and -1, what are the other good Japanese Godzilla movies?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Spacebump posted:

Outside of OG Godzilla, Shin, and -1, what are the other good Japanese Godzilla movies?

Depends on what you're looking for in a Godzilla movie. There's like 30 of them and they range wildly in tone, effects, themes etc.

Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs Destroyah, or Godzilla vs Mothra might be good places to start.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 5, 2023

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

GMK!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

If you’re looking for less silly type of Godzilla then it’s pretty hard to recommend a lot of Showa era stuff outside of the original. The only really egregious missteps in the Heisei/Millennium films are Space Godzilla and Megaguirus, I think.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There's also the really wacky time travel plot of the 91 Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Spacebump posted:

the thing you need to know going in is that besides these 3, all of them are various levels of silly, and i don't just mean the effects. the plots get absolutely bonkers pretty quick. that said

'64 ghidorah
invasion of astro monster
destroy all monsters
vs megalon (for the one scene, you know the one)

'91 vs king ghidorah
'93 vs mechgodzilla 2
'95 vs destoroyah

FINAL WARS

site fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 5, 2023

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Spacebump posted:

For pure fun go with Final Wars. It is the best kind of crazy godzilla.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Godzilla x Kong looks dumb as hell but I’ll keep watching that garbage

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

badjohny posted:

For pure fun go with Final Wars. It is the best kind of crazy godzilla.

https://x.com/godzilla_shots/status/1731750214749331829?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hell yeah

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Godzilla Vs Mothra (the original, called Godzilla vs the Thing in a bunch of US releases) is pretty good for a Showa film. Really anti-Imperialistic capitalism at points, but still has some goofy stuff like tiny fairy twins and some questionable "natives are savages" stuff, but definitely the Showa film with the most meat on its bones.

GMK is probably the most interesting of the Millenium era, and the Tokyo SOS films are decent monster bashes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I will 100% forgive Monsterverse for all their stupid poo poo if they do Jet Jaguar.

That would help make up for the lack of Infant Island fairies in the prior movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

alright, seeing this bad boy on imax in an hour and a half :woop:

mad respect to whoever reserved center seat front row entirely by choice

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Martman posted:

mad respect to whoever reserved center seat front row entirely by choice

If I have time to see it again in the theatre I'm absolutely doing this.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Rented the Criterion Showa Era set, I've only seen OG and vs Hedora. I'll probably skip Hedora for this watch, but I'm excited to rewatch OG after seeing Shin and Minus One this past week.
Then I'll blast through as many of the 13 others as I can before I get sick of it, probably partway through the weekend.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My current random realization that might change on a dime on any given day is that I prefer my Godzillas to be fairly "realistic" and darker in tone, but I prefer my Kongs to be total wacky nonsense. I would like monkey to have a giant laser rifle in this film or the next, thanks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Looks like Godzilla might have been extended at the theaters! I get to take my wife!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It did really well so I'm not surprised they extended it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flashy_mcflash posted:

If I have time to see it again in the theatre I'm absolutely doing this.

I did center seat, 4th row for a 4DX showing. Owned. Would sit exactly there again.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I did center seat, 4th row for a 4DX showing. Owned. Would sit exactly there again.

Are the bouncy seats distracting? I don't really go for 4DX for that reason but would consider it if the sound is even better than the IMAX.

E: also has anyone seen it in Screen X? Does it add, detract, or have any measurable effect on the experience? I've never done one of those but that's an option here too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Wish there was a 4DX near me. I love that gimmicky poo poo. Spray my face with some water mist

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spacebump posted:

All of them.

I’m only half joking. I genuinely think there’s something worth seeing in basically every Godzilla film. Even the shittier entries like Raids Again or Son of Godzilla.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Wish there was a 4DX near me. I love that gimmicky poo poo. Spray my face with some water mist

I had thought about this, but we wanted to relax and not smell weird poo poo or be rocked back and forth

Spacebump posted:

I have a weakness for Final Wars.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Now the question is to watch subbed or dubbed. Subbed is likely superior.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Godzilla vs. Megalon are my favorite wacky 70s godzillas, the former one has so much hippy stomping.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Now the question is to watch subbed or dubbed. Subbed is likely superior.

I think there's a bit of charm to the dubs of the Showa era films in particular, but it doesn't matter. This is my letterboxd ranking that I made a while back:

https://letterboxd.com/smayta/list/godzilla-ranked/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
big g gets some kickass posters doesn't he

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Any watched the actual stand-alone movies with just Rodan or Mothra origin movies

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also (personal opinion) no Gamera movies are very good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wow even the 90s ones?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The 90s ones are fine but every movie is handicapped by the fact that the kaiju fights are a turtle spinning like a top the whole time.

Gamera the Brave at least had a unique perspective, maybe my favorite overall,

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yep this was awesome. I think I preferred Shin Godzilla but it's hard to compare movies at home to seeing this on a giant movie screen. My ears were literally ringing after one scene, and I was like "hell yeah."

I love how hard the main dude sends it with his performance. I'm not super picky or one to quickly judge which acting is "better" than other acting because I think people get too hung up on realism, but I definitely think it makes sense to go ham when you're competing with a giant monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Godzilla vs. Megalon are my favorite wacky 70s godzillas, the former one has so much hippy stomping.

Man, a modern Hedorah could look so cool and terrifying if they really went for it. Legendary’s gone too silly for it to work, but I continue to dream.