Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it isn't imploring the listener to "be good for goodness' sake" (i.e. because being good is its own reward)
it's telling them to "be good, for goodness' sake" (i.e. be good, with a folksy term at the end that is commonly used to add emphasis)

right?

forget it Jake, it's English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it isn't imploring the listener to "be good for goodness' sake" (i.e. because being good is its own reward)
it's telling them to "be good, for goodness' sake" (i.e. be good, with a folksy term at the end that is commonly used to add emphasis)

right?

Yeah, it's pretty clearly supposed to be funny, in that old-timey "We haven't invented comedy yet" kind of way.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well it turned out to be a funny commentary on the meaning of idioms instead

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Christmas in general is about spreading joy and cheer to everyone and even jerks are a little nicer as the Christmas spirit hits them. Almost all Christmas media is about loving each other. Even that musical genius and noted wife-beater John Lennon got in on the action before being assassinated by John Wilkes Booth

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm surprised Mormons, like The Killers, even have Christmas. I thought American Space Jesus was surely born on some other day, probably the Fourth of July, but no they just have normal Christmas.

Which is sorta disappointing.

Also the best Christmas song is Christmas in Prison by John Prine.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sir Lemming posted:

It's Ukrainian, so it's positively jolly by their standards.

Ukrainian (and other Slavic cultures) carols have 2 main groups: New Years songs labelled as shchedrivka (which contains the title of the OG carol Shchedryk, translating as "Bountiful Evening") that don't have anything to do with the birth of Christ, and kolyadka that would be your actual carols talking about the birth. The darker sound compared to our western ears is just a thing with Slavic music, somewhere in the past 500-600 years, everyone east of Germany seemed to settle on minor keys sounding beautiful instead of sad.

My expertise is more in Ukrainian music than Czech, Polish, or Russian, so I can't speak to an overarching theme for the content of their carols, but Ukrainian Christmas carols focus a lot on what Jesus will become. So, while a lot of the carols westerners are familiar with focus specifically on all of the regalia and pomp of the birth in Bethlehem (O come all ye faithful, O little town of Bethlehem, Away in a manager, O holy night, etc.) Ukrainian carols will almost always have a verse or two mentioning some variation of "when you grow up, you will sacrifice yourself to save us and that is a good thing". Also there are a lot more carols that focus on Mary, but that is a difference between Western Christianity and Eastern Christianity that I am not as well educated in

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The best Christmas song IMO is Ben Caplan's version of O Holy Night purely because he removes every non-lyrical hint it may be a Christmas song. Christmas music is the absolute worst.

https://youtu.be/7PdZGY_JDnQ?si=x7HNwfqW2K0Ed_zy

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The best Christmas song IMO is Ben Caplan's version of O Holy Night purely because he removes every non-lyrical hint it may be a Christmas song. Christmas music is the absolute worst.

https://youtu.be/7PdZGY_JDnQ?si=x7HNwfqW2K0Ed_zy

Automatically better than most versions on the simple merit of including the really obviously anti-slavery second verse. But this arrangement rips, thanks for the link

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Baron von Eevl posted:

Little Drummer Boy is absolutely the worst one though, like can we all agree on that? It's basically the theme song to Luanne's Manger Babies puppet show from King of the Hill.

I do not disagree with you fundamentally, but there is exactly one (1) good version of that song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-vwVrwd3s

It's by a Christian 80's rock band, so I apologize in advance, but I stand by it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm surprised Mormons, like The Killers, even have Christmas. I thought American Space Jesus was surely born on some other day, probably the Fourth of July, but no they just have normal Christmas.

Which is sorta disappointing.

Mormons didn't retcon the Bible, they just made like a Further Adventures of Jesus thing

Isepic
May 7, 2002

Stayne Falls posted:

I do not disagree with you fundamentally, but there is exactly one (1) good version of that song:

It's by a Christian 80's rock band, so I apologize in advance, but I stand by it.

I like this whole album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IScpH3jXtEA

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a brain fart and thought you were talking about the Hunters and Collectors song for a hot second but that's actually called Do You See What I See

That was pretty confusing, lol

HUNNNNAS

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Even that musical genius and noted wife-beater John Lennon got in on the action before being assassinated by John Wilkes Booth

Musical genius my rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIVNmhMkNMA

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dave Syndrome posted:

I wonder how well "Patton Oswalt killed his wife" jokes like this one will age.

Why do people think that he killed his wife?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hallo spacedog posted:

He married his current wife before the prescribed mourning period ended, and never did wear sackcloth and ashes in public to display his grief to the priestly class and the Emperor as the strictures of propriety demand.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was talking about the dave chappelle thing, I have no opinions re: his wife

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

It's a really dumb meme based on him getting re-married a bit over a year later and, as the Lemniscate Blue said, that's been judged as insufficient time for him to move on.

I don't have strong opinions on Patton Oswalt himself, but he spent the months after his wife died finishing her passion project and publicly mourned her, it's just kind of a weird moralistic thing that's been turned into a meme.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

This guy is a fuckin' Bloodborne boss

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Joan Jett’s cover of little drummer boy was always a fave, as a tiny child my record club version had a literal sticker with the track listing, so I assumed for ages that there was some legal shenanigans that got another some pulled. Thinking Van Katz Dance. But apparently no per Wikipedia?

Ah well, good song though, and I really like the drums on this version after listening to a few:

https://youtu.be/-GrNeSWhU98?si=PfXzZsnveeSaJ9sO

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Also she wrote true crime books, transitively making Patton a murder expert.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Bootsy Collins released a Christmas album several years ago and that's really the only Christmas music you or anyone else should listen to.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
O Holy Night by any of the talented opera singers is just amazing when you hear the pure power of the song and I will not move from this position.

Blue Christmas is also kinda bad but its Elvis so I give it a pass when it made it into the Christmas list.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

It's just a shame that coolpunk didn't just kill off Christmas music during its height

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJmx-kxvqw

Related, Chowder Man’s Christmas Pain In Christmas Town is genuinely my favorite Christmas song

https://youtu.be/ftEz-m0kEWA?si=RifFMtHbNA7DXauq

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Since this has taken a “good Christmas song” derail, I might as well continue it.

https://youtu.be/fCNvZqpa-7Q?feature=shared

It’s weird thinking of Christmas being a summer holiday but it’s a really nice song.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In the spirit of this thread

Most of the Twisted Christmas songs

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbvs_hsdHbxVMf4fsr0byW0bUd7Ym8zJm&si=Y4EaKaBZKPhcJsxb

And firmly from the 00s

William Hungs Christmas album

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l1VMa2yk-Ai4fli9MbCA7tZcEULEK-IQM&si=_UIKkJfMhKkoE2r6

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Joe Pesci
NWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hawOAtZcW9o

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

I wonder how well "Patton Oswalt killed his wife" jokes like this one will age.

Here’s something that will age strangely:

In the 2009 series Dollhouse, which absolutely did not age well, Patton Oswalt plays a rich guy who hires women to pretend to be his wife, who died suddenly while he was at work. It’s almost as weirdly prescient as the Lone Gunmen pilot where they avert 9/11.

And if we’re going to accuse actors of killing their wives, take a look at William Shatner’s last wife.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

In the 2009 series Dollhouse, which absolutely did not age well

It had already aged badly when it was first released. People were looking at at sideways at the time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1inNGHln5g

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

It had already aged badly when it was first released. People were looking at at sideways at the time.

There was a tweet from like 2010 about Dollhouse that’s gone now that was something like “hey honey, come read my script about people who run a place where sex slaves suck and gently caress all comers!” And it aged really well because Joss Whedon hadn’t even dumped his wife yet, let alone blown up his entire career and life.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stayne Falls posted:

Hell yeah, I've always loved this one. It's so ridiculously over-the-top that I just can't deny its power. "Me and my DRUUUUUUUUM, I'll PLAYYYY for YOUUUUU~"

It's also hard to go wrong with the various versions that are just like "We have a good drummer and he's doing drum solos, get it?" i.e. Ringo, or The Bird And The Bee ft. Dave Grohl. It's kinda predictable I guess, but I don't hate it.

I could go on and on and on about Christmas music, I honestly love a lot of it, but I also hate a lot of it, because there's tons of the stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do you see what I see is a great Christmas song because it makes me think of Gremlins

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

I AM GRANDO posted:

There was a tweet from like 2010 about Dollhouse that’s gone now that was something like “hey honey, come read my script about people who run a place where sex slaves suck and gently caress all comers!” And it aged really well because Joss Whedon hadn’t even dumped his wife yet, let alone blown up his entire career and life.
I have long maintained that Dollhouse and Westworld are the same show, but with opposite sympathies. Dollhouse wants us to identify with the Whedon self-inserts and high-rollers, and Westworld holds all those people in violent contempt

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Randalor posted:

While we're on the Christmas music tangent, am I the only one who finds the music for Carol of the Bells sounds... I dunno... kinda sinister for a Christmas song?

You’ve just never heard the right arrangement, that’s all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked Dollhouse overall and I think the bits I did like (the corporate mind control apocalypse thriller) were the parts Whedon didn't want to do.

An Interview with Whedon posted:

"When you’re dealing with fantasies, particularly sexual ones, you’re going off the reservation," Whedon said. "You’re not going to be doing things that are perfectly correct. It’s supposed to be about the sides of us that we don’t want people to see…. The idea of sexuality was a big part of the show when it started and when that fell out, when the show turned into a thriller every week, it took something out of it that was kind of basic to what we were trying to do."

"We got the espionage that the network wants, but it’s the questions about identity that we want," he noted. "There are other things about the show that never came back, and I didn’t really realize it until the second season -- [there were] things that we were ultimately sort of dancing around.... We always found ourselves sort of moving away from what had been part of the original spark of the show and that ultimately just makes it really hard to write these stories."

"People responded to ['Dollhouse' by saying], 'This is trafficking. This is sex for money.' It wasn’t just sex," Whedon said. Part of the problem was "the other implications of what was originally supposed to be somewhat more of a fantasy. The real-world version of [this kind of activity] was I think what made the network really twitchy and I can’t really fault them for that. I just thought when I went in and pitched it ...you know, it frightened me too [but I thought] we all got that that was what we were doing."

The whole interview read badly at the time and is :stare: now.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Dec 6, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dollhouse is an incredible window into a really broken guy telling on himself, while his employees struggle mightily to make something worthwhile out of his bullshit, and they almost do it too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember one of the women interviewed in that New York Magazine article said that Whedon would have her act out sex zombie Dollhouse poo poo when they had sex.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

I AM GRANDO posted:

And if we’re going to accuse actors of killing their wives, take a look at William Shatner’s last wife.

gently caress the Whedon discussion, I feel like this needs to be expanded upon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leave posted:

gently caress the Whedon discussion, I feel like this needs to be expanded upon

He talked about writing a comedy/farce about her death not long after she died, but that could be chalked up to the irrationality of grief. It was probably in bad taste to bring up. She was like 30 years younger than him and was found drowned one day in the backyard pool after going swimming after taking a bunch of sedatives with wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

A piece of improv I'll never forget is Paul F. Tompkins (as Cake Boss) talking about the urban legend about a ghost in Three Men and a Baby.

"Turns out it was just a carboard cutout - of William Shatner drowning his wife"