Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Don't you dare group the Jays in with the rule breaking Dodgers
a leak is a leak sorry both teams eliminated per the rules

but also they're the finalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thankfully the Cubs aren't snitches.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah they're just cheap

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MaoistBanker posted:

Are you being serious? LA is absolutely the most desirable location for introverted/private sports celebrities. We see famous people all the time around here, we don't give them poo poo. It's LA rule #1. Also, famous people don't go to where tourists visit here so they live very nice relatively anonymous lives.

I lived in LA for 5 years and I'll never forget the time I saw like 6 helicopters swarming over my head. When I finally figured out what the emergency was, it turned out David Arquette got into a fender bender and every loving channel's chopper was at the scene. The celebrity worship was one of the things I hated most about living there. Paparazzi do not leave celebrities alone ever, even if the average LA citizen does.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I lived in LA for 5 years and I'll never forget the time I saw like 6 helicopters swarming over my head. When I finally figured out what the emergency was, it turned out David Arquette got into a fender bender and every loving channel's chopper was at the scene. The celebrity worship was one of the things I hated most about living there. Paparazzi do not leave celebrities alone ever, even if the average LA citizen does.

Former WCW Champion David Arquette. You forgot the honorific.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I guess it's a good thing Ohtani likes to just stay in his house and play video games then

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

He can game with me indoors in Chicago. Better pings too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Yeah they're just cheap

Hey they just handed out the largest contract in history!

(to a coach)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
sorry guys I just called my uncle donathan and he says that showy ohtanee is signing with the the Frisco Roughriders

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1732194561848721747

This is pretty pathetic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
How dare you make me actually do some work, you rear end in a top hat

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

somehow the lamest take in all of this

the article, not the good goon sharing it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Buster posted:

Imagine if Ohtani had concluded his visit with the Toronto Blue Jays -- the one that neither manager John Schneider nor GM Ross Atkins would confirm Tuesday, given multiple opportunities -- with a Zoom call with reporters. He could open with an homage to the city of Toronto, before describing the impressive tour of the team's new spring training complex. He could've talked about Vladimir Guerrero Jr.'s power, Bo Bichette's aggressiveness at the plate, Kevin Gausman's splitter. He could've mentioned Schneider's humor, thanked Mark Shapiro and Atkins for their time. He could've capped his reflections with an observation about the Maple Leafs, about Joe Carter's home run. And he could have wrapped it up by announcing a donation to Jays Care -- say, $50,000, pocket change for a player who already makes tens of millions of dollars in endorsements, before he gets the richest contract in the history of North American professional sports -- to help children. He could've deftly answered a few questions from local reporters, easily deflecting the question of where he intends to play by saying he was still going through the process.

He could've done the same thing with the Chicago Cubs, the Dodgers and every other team he considered. No matter which team he picked in the end, his time with each franchise would've lifted up the organization, its players, and raised awareness for their charity. He could've lifted baseball.
Why didn't Ohtani do a bunch of meaningless media fluff for us about every team he meets with??

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This is the same team that traded Eloy at peak prospect status for fuckin Jose Quintana

And Dylan Cease who was a fringe top 100 guy at the time.

Remember that the Quintana trade was due to them needing to save money. They needed starting pitching but didn't want to spend. Verlander was available, but they wouldn't eat his contract. They also gave up Soler for 1 year of Wade Davis.

My concern with the Cubs is they use their prospects in trades to avoid having to give out larger contracts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't anyone want to hear any of that if he ends up signing somewhere else? That would just piss every other teams fan base off.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Why wouldn't anyone want to hear any of that if he ends up signing somewhere else? That would just piss every other teams fan base off.
but think of how much ~content~ it would create for ESPN!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lmao what free agent has ever done that

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ohtani should do The Decision 2 and lean into a villain phase.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Poque posted:

Ohtani should do The Decision 2 and lean into a villain phase.

Yeah, the media and fans definitely didn't give LeBron endless poo poo for that.

What a dumbass take from Buster.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Olney wanted to write takedowns about what a tactless rear end in a top hat Ohtani is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it really is messed up Ohtani would be upset if it's leaked he talked to the Dodgers, almost as hosed up as how people say their 2020 championship doesn't count and that there's no regular season award for having the best record ever year :(

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/DOBrienATL/status/1732130990397571164

A narrative is forming.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My clicks!!! :qq:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
April 18: Ohtani shocks the world by signing with the Pirates, the only team that never leaked that they'd met with him, because they hadn't. Deal was hurriedly agreed over a zoom call and is for 1 year/$5M

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Eric the Mauve posted:

April 18: Ohtani shocks the world by signing with the Pirates, the only team that never leaked that they'd met with him, because they hadn't. Deal was hurriedly agreed over a zoom call and is for 1 year/$5M

no one can resist the allure of Primanti Bros.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am hearing that Shohei Ohtani is signing with the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant Company Softball Team for 10 years and $635 million

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

That's the dumbest possible take. Dude is literally telling people to shut the gently caress up and let him negotiate and pick a team in peace.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, for one, recall when Aaron Judge famously did NOT sign with the Giants and everyone within BART distance of AT&T wanted the front office strung up for like a week but now we're all like "lol as if Judge would have ever gone to San Francisco when he was obviously staying put."

We wouldn't want LA's FO to get that kind of treatment when Shohei inevitably lands with the Cubs.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 6, 2023

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

We wouldn't want LA's FO to get that kind of treatment when Shohei inevitably with the Cubs.

Hard agree. They should be jailed.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ohtani should do a Decision press conference and say "I've decided Buster Olney is a dumb nerd" then walk off stage

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
No one will give two shits about Ohtani’s free agent process two weeks into April, but otherwise you’d have to write about the Erik Gonzalez signing, so sure, let’s make this a thing

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1732220490943488184?s=20

I don’t get it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What are the Red Sox doing?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pseudodragon posted:

That's the dumbest possible take. Dude is literally telling people to shut the gently caress up and let him negotiate and pick a team in peace.

"BUT ITS MY RIGHT TO KNOWWWWWWWW!!"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

Drugs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol wtf

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Removing a left-handed bat from the lineup so they go out and get Soto or Ohtani

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Yankees don’t need Soto anymore, checkmate superbrains.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Gross, why. Please tell me it's part of a flip cause otherwise :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dick Fitts