Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Doesn’t help with the usb problem, but you can mount an iso with CIMC’s vKVM functionality. Might help in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

Cisco has literally nothing about this in their official instructions to create the bootable USB
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/do...3_3_2ndgen.html

The .iso file is something like 27Gbs and if I remember correctly the max partition size for fat32 is 4 gigs so im guessing it cant be that.

Try using Rufus to 'burn' the ISO to a USB stick. Alternately, try a different vendor/make of USB stick.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

gooby pls posted:

Doesn’t help with the usb problem, but you can mount an iso with CIMC’s vKVM functionality. Might help in a pinch.

Can you elaborate on this? Like I know how to get into the vKVM but that would still rely on loading the .iso from the USB stick which is where my problem seems to be. Unless you're saying there's another source you can load it from another source using the vKVM?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

WFH folks going across time zones: what techniques you got to keep times straight? I'm only an hour difference and I've done okay this past year converting times in my brain as needed but I've missed a couple meetings from conversion gently caress ups and figure there should be a more reliable way to do it.

Keep my workstation in the time zone of the head office? Live with it and stop being an idiot? Some other fancy tool or approach?

download outlook or your favorite calendar app to your workstation, enable notifications, problem solved

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Charliegrs posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Like I know how to get into the vKVM but that would still rely on loading the .iso from the USB stick which is where my problem seems to be. Unless you're saying there's another source you can load it from another source using the vKVM?

You'll want to go into this menu and use Activate Virtual Devices to get the options shown, then Map CD/DVD on the ISO file located somewhere on the machine where you're running the vKVM. This will create a virtual drive through CIMC:

I have installed DNAC several times using this method. I would recommend you use a machine at the same site as the destination appliance to run the vKVM if possible, since I assume the virtual drive's performance with WAN latency would be pretty rough.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 6, 2023

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Raymond T. Racing posted:

download outlook or your favorite calendar app to your workstation, enable notifications, problem solved

Hey everyone should do the first thing and keep a copy of that installer version because apparently the new Office update (Build 2311) is forcing "New" Outlook and I am not sure if they fixed the bugs(feature) of PSTs not working (oh and rules breaking that part matters).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/18bpmux/

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

minusX posted:

Hey everyone should do the first thing and keep a copy of that installer version because apparently the new Office update (Build 2311) is forcing "New" Outlook and I am not sure if they fixed the bugs(feature) of PSTs not working (oh and rules breaking that part matters).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/18bpmux/

Google Workspace companies stay winning?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Google Workspace companies stay winning?

We're all-in on Google Apps. Other than the new Chat layout being stupid and dumb, it's just steady improvements all over. Meet especially, most slide decks can be presented directly from Meet (I need to be able to click through animations, but I'm weird). 3rd party apps like Lucid have Meet plugins now so I can feed my Product Owners' brainworms and make sticky notes without leaving the Meet tab.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I get a perverse pleasure of telling my users that when Microsoft poo poo does not work I can't do anything about it when I really am powerless

Of course I'd still do bad things to microsoft management (cemented shoes)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mllaneza posted:

We're all-in on Google Apps. Other than the new Chat layout being stupid and dumb, it's just steady improvements all over. Meet especially, most slide decks can be presented directly from Meet (I need to be able to click through animations, but I'm weird). 3rd party apps like Lucid have Meet plugins now so I can feed my Product Owners' brainworms and make sticky notes without leaving the Meet tab.

we're Zoom/Slack boys but also Workspace

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All in on Microsoft and incompetent to boot! We just tell the users pound sand half the time! I hate it, our users are 99% nice and my boss and coworker are just rude at people constantly. It wouldn't be so bad if they were competent at anything.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Uh Hey thread, it's been a little bit. I need some advice.

So I'm starting my 5th month at my job, and things have been.. kinda poo poo.

Basically they bumped my shift off to 2nd shift at the start of november and I've started hemorrhaging technicians. It's down to just me and one other guy on my shift right now. We've started having problems with parts availability as well. So the result of this has been a bunch of people leaving because they don't want to do warehouse work (I don't blame them). When the parts shortage started they essentially loaned all of the techs on my shift to a nearby department and gave them absolutely insane KPIs. Think like 25 an hour when the most you can do with focused effort is like 6-7. It's a mess and it sucks.

Then last week nVidia came down and told us they want us to diagnose *125* of their HGX H100 8GPU servers every week. Please look up the price on one of those, they'll probably make your jaw drop if you're not familiar with the cost of server hardware. Anyway, that number is impossible to meet because anyone who could be a diagnostic tech on my shift has absconded, moreso because we've only trained 8 people on them and two of them are myself and the dayshift lead who have other duties. Also they only sent us 83, but then nVidia's engineers are still developing the diagnostic troubleshooting process for us, so they're asking us for additional diags that are sometimes making a single server take up to 10+ hours to get a final diagnostic on.

An Aside: Also we've missed essentially every SLA because the parts nVidia keeps sending us for the HGX A100 8GPU servers have an absolutely ridiculous failure rate, like 45% average baseboard fail rate.

So that number got more than halved to a slightly less unrealistic 47. Which we still can't meet. Last week we got 5 final diagnostics on these servers and this week so far we've got 7. This stuff doesn't really bother me as much as the mistreatment of my team because my boss and the other supervisor understand that this is the circumstance we have and it's not our fault for the breakdown in communication or some bigwig at nVidia trying to squeeze us for an insane number we can't make. Even if they make other dumb as gently caress decisions.

The thing that does suck is.. I'm still making 17.50 an hour without benefits. I was promised a pay increase and to be brought on from the contracting company back in September. That hasn't happened, and what is salting the wound is I found out two weeks ago is that apparently they hired multiple techs from the 1st shift people, some of them with significantly less time than what I've put in. They rushed to get these guys in before thanksgiving so they could get benefits and time off for Dec.They're now not hiring new people until after January.

I'm thinking very hard about moving on. I guess maybe with my experience in a leadership role and working on (I Guess?) cutting edge server tech, I'm wondering what I should aim for? and also if it's too soon and I should tough it out for a little longer?
Also if it was never my actual title because of the lead around I've been put on, but it was still the work I did, is it disingenuous to write my title as "Lead Technician" on my resume?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Susat posted:

and also if it's too soon and I should tough it out for a little longer?
No. Always demand your worth. It's advisable to make this demand from a place of strength, so start looking. At the very least, actively looking will blunt the edge of having to tough it out anyway, knowing that you're searching for an escape hatch.

Susat posted:

Also if it was never my actual title because of the lead around I've been put on, but it was still the work I did, is it disingenuous to write my title as "Lead Technician" on my resume?

No. Titles don't mean poo poo. You're allowed and expected to gas yourself up as long as you're not overrating yourself. You do not do yourself any favors by being brutally honest on your resume.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's really quite something to witness Microsoft seemingly having no idea of the reason that companies stick with M365 rather than moving to Google Workspace when it becomes time to make the decision about what to do about their on-prem Exchange, which is that EAs and the like are familiar with the way Outlook works and use all the delegation features, and then gently caress that up completely.

Going back to the days I used to do a lot of mail platform migrations as everyone was getting onboard with the whole cloud thing, the main reason people were picking M365 over Google was that people were familiar with Outlook and didn't want to use a web app, well congratulations because now if you stick with Outlook you get a poo poo web app wrapped in a launcher.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
EDIT: Never mind, missed an obvious answer to the question I was asking.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
https://www.businessinsider.com/broadcom-ceo-vmware-new-remote-work-policy-2023-11

quote:

Hock Tan, the CEO of Broadcom, said in an all-hands meeting Tuesday that he expects employees living within 50 miles of an office to return to in-person work.

Yeah amazing strategy. The best can choose where they want to work. This will ensure you end up with brown-nosers and presenteeism.

They are going to bleed talent.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

100 miles a day to go to work, gently caress that. The guy sounds like an idiot Musk fanboy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

100 miles a day to go to work, gently caress that. The guy sounds like an idiot Musk fanboy.

"The tech world watches as Broadcom navigates integrating VMWare’s culture, which included support for employee resource groups (ERGs) – a concept Tan humorously called “alien” but is open to considering. "

Ah yes the alien context of "the vaguest possible way to acknowledge employees are human beings".

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Susat posted:

Basically they bumped my shift off to 2nd shift at the start of november and I've started hemorrhaging technicians. It's down to just me and one other guy on my shift right now. We've started having problems with parts availability as well. So the result of this has been a bunch of people leaving because they don't want to do warehouse work (I don't blame them). When the parts shortage started they essentially loaned all of the techs on my shift to a nearby department and gave them absolutely insane KPIs. Think like 25 an hour when the most you can do with focused effort is like 6-7. It's a mess and it sucks.

Then last week nVidia came down and told us they want us to diagnose *125* of their HGX H100 8GPU servers every week. Please look up the price on one of those, they'll probably make your jaw drop if you're not familiar with the cost of server hardware. Anyway, that number is impossible to meet because anyone who could be a diagnostic tech on my shift has absconded, moreso because we've only trained 8 people on them and two of them are myself and the dayshift lead who have other duties. Also they only sent us 83, but then nVidia's engineers are still developing the diagnostic troubleshooting process for us, so they're asking us for additional diags that are sometimes making a single server take up to 10+ hours to get a final diagnostic on.

An Aside: Also we've missed essentially every SLA because the parts nVidia keeps sending us for the HGX A100 8GPU servers have an absolutely ridiculous failure rate, like 45% average baseboard fail rate.

So that number got more than halved to a slightly less unrealistic 47. Which we still can't meet. Last week we got 5 final diagnostics on these servers and this week so far we've got 7. This stuff doesn't really bother me as much as the mistreatment of my team because my boss and the other supervisor understand that this is the circumstance we have and it's not our fault for the breakdown in communication or some bigwig at nVidia trying to squeeze us for an insane number we can't make. Even if they make other dumb as gently caress decisions.

The thing that does suck is.. I'm still making 17.50 an hour without benefits. I was promised a pay increase and to be brought on from the contracting company back in September. That hasn't happened, and what is salting the wound is I found out two weeks ago is that apparently they hired multiple techs from the 1st shift people, some of them with significantly less time than what I've put in. They rushed to get these guys in before thanksgiving so they could get benefits and time off for Dec.They're now not hiring new people until after January.

I'm thinking very hard about moving on. I guess maybe with my experience in a leadership role and working on (I Guess?) cutting edge server tech, I'm wondering what I should aim for? and also if it's too soon and I should tough it out for a little longer?

Leave ASAP

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It's really quite something to witness Microsoft seemingly having no idea of the reason that companies stick with M365 rather than moving to Google Workspace when it becomes time to make the decision about what to do about their on-prem Exchange, which is that EAs and the like are familiar with the way Outlook works and use all the delegation features, and then gently caress that up completely.

Going back to the days I used to do a lot of mail platform migrations as everyone was getting onboard with the whole cloud thing, the main reason people were picking M365 over Google was that people were familiar with Outlook and didn't want to use a web app, well congratulations because now if you stick with Outlook you get a poo poo web app wrapped in a launcher.

TIL that get-distributiongroupmember in the cloud will return external recipient GUIDs, exchange SamAccounts (not onprem), and o.g. name attribute (this changes for c2h). Fun!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Susat posted:

This is a poo poo smoothie with a whole fuckload of problems that management is responsible for both creating and solving. You should GTFO ASAP, with the understanding that lots of companies functionally stop hiring between mid-November and early January.

Titles in IT are almost always disconnected from the actual work you're doing. You should use something that makes more sense and can be backed up with description. If anyone asks during interviews, handwave it away with "Oh, they set titles in 1994 and haven't really updated. My actual title was 'Minicomputer Analyst', but I was doing the work that's better described as 'Server Diagnostic Technician, Team Lead', which you can see by responsibility 1, 2, and 3."

It sucks. Do what you can in the time you get paid for, and plan to pull the ripcord when you can. They may guilt you about "abandoning the company", but it's a business decision and would they would absolutely fire you in a moment if it made financial sense.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Susat posted:

90% of people working in terrible jobs leave just a single day before Management changes its entire strategy, expectations, culture and budget and fixes everything. Keep at it!!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/broadcom-ceo-vmware-new-remote-work-policy-2023-11

Yeah amazing strategy. The best can choose where they want to work. This will ensure you end up with brown-nosers and presenteeism.

They don't care. Broadcom just did insanely big layoffs right after closing the deal, there's no way they figured out what's working well and what isn't. They just chopped people.

This office thing is just another way to get rid of more people, and it's cheaper than layoffs and you don't have to WARN.

Broadcom didn't want any VMware employees. They want VMWares customers to pay them money, and they want to hike prices significantly so that Said customers pay them more money next cycle.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I think this is intentional. Broadcom has a reputation of going nuts with cuts in the companies they acquire. Part of how they run them into the ground.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wanted to pick up where I left off my trials and tribulations of deploying Cisco DNA Center. So I was trying to load the image file from a USB stick and getting lots of error messages it didn't look like the appliance could read from the stick. This was after burning the image onto it using the instructions from Cisco. This morning I decided to reformat the disk in NTFS and burned the image again. This time, no error messages. It just jumps straight into the maglev configuration. My question is, is that normal? I would think it would start some kind of loading operation first. But anyway I said F it and went through the maglev config and now it seems to be loading the image so I guess thats the normal way things work? I think this process takes a few hours if I'm not mistaken.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Susat posted:

Sorry to hear that things have been so rough. What you're describing... it's not accidental or even incidental that things are that bad. It's purposeful and you should act accordingly. Do the bare minimum, protect your own sanity, and try to find a new job as quickly as you can. It's not a great time to be looking, which sucks, but at least you still have a job right now. Just try not to let it drag you down.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Charliegrs posted:

I wanted to pick up where I left off my trials and tribulations of deploying Cisco DNA Center. So I was trying to load the image file from a USB stick and getting lots of error messages it didn't look like the appliance could read from the stick. This was after burning the image onto it using the instructions from Cisco. This morning I decided to reformat the disk in NTFS and burned the image again. This time, no error messages. It just jumps straight into the maglev configuration. My question is, is that normal? I would think it would start some kind of loading operation first. But anyway I said F it and went through the maglev config and now it seems to be loading the image so I guess thats the normal way things work? I think this process takes a few hours if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, that's normal - you tell it how to configure maglev, then it goes through the whole installation process. "A few hours" is optimistic, I remember it taking something like eighteen hours per node with first gen appliances and it didn't allow me to start more nodes until I finished the first, but maybe it'll be a lot better using an actual flash drive than the network mount.

Susat posted:

The thing that does suck is.. I'm still making 17.50 an hour without benefits.

This is insanity, I was making 20/hour as an intern in 2009. You would think they could pay a proper living wage to someone who's validating servers that cost as much as a house.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 6, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Susat posted:

I'm guilty as hell of sticking around when I shouldn't have in the past, so let me say, please, start looking hard for other options, because almost anything else will be better paying and less stressful.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah bud I can find fast food places coming in at the 15-16 dollar mark

New job time

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Just learned that New Teams has a bad habit of fully removing the Teams Outlook plugin. Thanks Microsoft. (should be fixed now with the latest New Teams patch but haven't verified)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

klosterdev posted:

Just learned that New Teams has a bad habit of fully removing the Teams Outlook plugin. Thanks Microsoft. (should be fixed now with the latest New Teams patch but haven't verified)

Yeah that was a fun month.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll never buy Cisco software, having tried to use their Partner website.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had good luck with some of their software - AnyConnect, Umbrella, AMP.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is this what it looks like when a DNA center image is loading after the maglev config?

Or is this just what the terminal looks like?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Let me know if you do verify that it's fixed. A month or two ago I disabled the rollout of New Teams in my org after we had like five tickets come in simultaneously saying their Outlook plugin was mysteriously gone. I'd like to re-enable it since people say it's a big improvement over the old client

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Charliegrs posted:

Is this what it looks like when a DNA center image is loading after the maglev config?

Or is this just what the terminal looks like?

I can't say I'm familiar with the exact sequence of events since I usually walked away after I got it started and came back several hours to a day later, but it looks like it's just installing stuff. Once it's finished it should give a pretty clear message to that effect.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Susat posted:

By asking this you already know what you need to do, it's just a question of your personal timing and logistics, etc. But if all you're walking away from is crummy pay, it certainly makes the math of that a hell of a lot simpler.

You're the Lead Tech - absolutely put that on your resume. Also including the dollar value daily/weekly you were responsible for as part of the job description is a good idea.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Susat posted:

I was in a slightly less toxic job and stayed too long. Not leaving that job earlier is still my biggest IT carreer regret a decade later.

Get out. They treat you like poo poo, don’t keep promises (likely on purpose) and there will be no improvements. You owe them nothing. Start applying / interviewing today.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So my DNA center primary unit is now online and reachable through the GUI. Unfortunately it looks like it loaded an older version so I guess it didn't like the USB stick after all. I didn't even know these devices had an image already I thought they didn't come with one. However it appears to be downloading and installing the latest version on its own so that's cool. I think I might just bring up the other 2 this way.

Eletriarnation posted:

I can't say I'm familiar with the exact sequence of events since I usually walked away after I got it started and came back several hours to a day later, but it looks like it's just installing stuff. Once it's finished it should give a pretty clear message to that effect.

So it looks like it worked-ish. Apparently the appliance still didn't like my USB stick but I guess it had an older version to boot to so it did and it became reachable on the network. And then it automatically updated itself to the latest version direct from Cisco so that was nice.

So I tried adding the 2nd node and I think it worked but I'm not totally sure how to verify it. In the settings - system configuration tab in DNA it shows the 2nd node with its IP and a green marker so I think that must mean it's good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We’re in the middle of separating from another company so for now I have two email addresses, one in outlook and one in google workspace. But I can’t use M365 to its potential because it’s a loaner laptop and they didn’t enable a second provisioned account per computer, sucks to suck I guess.