Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
An old SA classic

https://youtu.be/KXieUnh_bcs?si=BUHQ7g1LXtyg9Xup

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I've never seen the movies or read the books, but I watched a pretty thorough video summary, so I get a lot of the references.
https://youtu.be/HHoJSgq6mqc

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
bless you gentle goons

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
the lord of the rings movies were very good

In hindsight, probably legendarily good

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My homegrown is oblique but at least it is rare

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ButterNBacon posted:

I made this for you, though I bet it has been done before:

Whoever made this didn't delete the edges of the graham cracker left by using the "magic wand" tool to delete the unwanted parts before merging the layers and I am LIVID.

Edit: It's even in the third panel for some reason, that's some really sloppy photoshopping. C'mon people, quality over quantity.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

DrBouvenstein posted:

Whoever made this didn't delete the edges of the graham cracker left by using the "magic wand" tool to delete the unwanted parts before merging the layers and I am LIVID.

Edit: It's even in the third panel for some reason, that's some really sloppy photoshopping. C'mon people, quality over quantity.

Got rid of it for you

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saint Freak posted:

Got rid of it for you

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Transparendalf!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe he'll take some time off, do some soul searching. Then he can come back, apologize and admit that, in fact, cannot pull off a turtleneck.

Weird! I mean, the neck part stretches so that you can get your head through, same as when you pull it on.

I guess he'll just be stuck like that forever :shrug:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CPColin posted:

Transparendalf!

PNGandalf

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

CPColin posted:

Transparendalf!

Gandalpha!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I am irrationally angry at the inaccuracy of this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Egyptians just kind of winged it for the pyramids. All vibes

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Aliens had math, doofus

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Literally what I thought in my head, too. Word for word.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dialhforhero posted:

Literally what I thought in my head, too. Word for word.

we never saw the other 147 pyramids they tried before they finally got one right

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Phlegmish posted:

This is how I build things, so it tracks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They were actually trying to build a tall tower, so maybe they had some things to figure out, indeed.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Tbf you can do some pretty impressive building physics calculations without actually using math.
Medieval church domes hold up super well and they basically used clever rope tricks to figure out the right shape and proportions instead of calculating anything.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Suleman posted:

Tbf you can do some pretty impressive building physics calculations without actually using math.
Medieval church domes hold up super well and they basically used clever rope tricks to figure out the right shape and proportions instead of calculating anything.

Ah, yes. Never mind figuring out how many different types and the quantities of each material you want to use.

Or how many people you need to do a task.

No math there, just like…asking dudes randomly when you can’t pick up the 4 ton block that you can’t actually figure out the weight. Or the dimensions.

Or the cost. Because there was no money or currency at all.

Winging it like a lovely lego construction.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Ah, yes. Never mind figuring out how many different types and the quantities of each material you want to use.

Or how many people you need to do a task.

No math there, just like…asking dudes randomly when you can’t pick up the 4 ton block that you can’t actually figure out the weight. Or the dimensions.

Or the cost. Because there was no money or currency at all.

Winging it like a lovely lego construction.

Specifically for dimensions in the medieval era, a lot of things didn't actually use maths because it was very difficult to make repeatable measuring implements and not everyone who was doing the making of things necessarily understood maths.

So instead they would survey things out in advance and just mark out the shapes they wanted, and if you needed a precise mesurement for something like a lintel you take like, a stick and put it in the gap and then that's how big it needs to be.

If you need to make repeating elements like spiral staircase treads you make a template and tell the masons to work off that.

And yeah they did use essentially rope tricks to do a lot of what we would nowadays use maths to do. It turns out you can make useful engineering judgements with bits of string and pins and just folding the string relative to its own length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ivqWN4L3zU

You don't actually need to get numbers involved, you can do it with just conceptual relationships between physical objects. And these are the kinds of things you can make guild secrets.

They did have maths, but they didn't necessarily use maths for a lot of things that we would use it for today.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Dec 6, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

You don't actually need to get numbers involved, you can do it with just conceptual relationships between physical objects. And these are the kinds of things you can make guild secrets.

They did have maths, but they didn't necessarily use maths for a lot of things that we would use it for today.
:hmmyes:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:stwoon:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

These new Patreon logos keep getting more and more confusing.

ButterNBacon
Feb 17, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Whoever made this didn't delete the edges of the graham cracker...
Sorry that was a rush job. Here, this will make up for it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You ever wonder what's going on just outside the border of your favorite picture?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Imagining the human version with the pull toy naked human on all fours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

ButterNBacon posted:

Sorry that was a rush job. Here, this will make up for it.

Now I have to watch listen to the yt in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw