Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Are we discussing hypothetical modding situations? Why? Why don't we stick to the activity that we've seen in this thread instead of imagining some nonexistant condition?

So far, for the most part, people saying really stupid poo poo have been told to buzz off. I don't think there is a real need to change anything about how things have been done.

Like where did anything happen that requires adjustment. If anything I'd point to Knox being told they can't post when they were discussing the topic earnestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You could try posting in any of the other threads on SA about the conflict then? I doubt they'll be any good, but :shrug:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
More on topic, has this been shared here yet? I don't think I remember anyone here posting it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/01/the-gospel-how-israel-uses-ai-to-select-bombing-targets

"We ran out of military targets to bomb last time, but this algorithm will suggest a whole bunch of new things to blow up!"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Theres no way to create objective rules with the amount of subjectivity, and noone has the time or energy to police this thread with a scalpel and get everything right. Only dishonorable posters bitch about 6ers anyways. Except me, I'm innocent of all crimes.

If you post in this thread you should be aware you're juggling dynamite so act appropriately.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well, this is a bit of an interesting twist:

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1731677958593548531

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hamas benefactors reaping further benefit? Or maybe Bibi?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Somehow, I get the feeling it wasn't Hamas. Just a hunch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Somehow, I get the feeling it wasn't Hamas. Just a hunch.

Imagine making your little thinly-deniable proxy war a real war because your dumb Republican Guard General couldn't resist the opportunity to do a little insider trading.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I expect to get probed the times I get frustrated and just tell someone to get hosed or whatever, but on the flipside, I genuinely don't see how you could look at the last few posts Knox was making and accept that they were arguing in good faith. They were saying absurd poo poo that at best was outright trolling. In the end there's no point in effort posting and refuting their bullshit point by point, because they don't actually care. But mods don't pick up on it and it ends up poisoning the thread for entire pages, and this becomes the I/P thread where saying that gross poo poo is acceptable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah but that didn't happen, so let's not fret over the multiverse's problems.

Whether they're troll posts or bad opinions or (as I think) beep-boop-goon posts, there are already subforums that police opinions. One of the highlights of GIP is that you have to go pretty far off the range to get the boot. It makes for far better discussion, unlike all this loving whining about other posters.

I spend a week out of town ignoring the news and hit up the last two pages to see what's going on and by golly it seems that goons just suck.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Ah well Jesus Christ, thank gently caress you've returned to save the thread with your erudite fuckin observations :rolleyes:

For some actual content, seems like the Israeli bombing in the south of Gaza is even more intense than what they were doing pre-ceasefire, also virtually all internet and comms lines are down again and Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis is overflowing and on the brink of collapse with a constant influx of new victims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/12/5/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-attacks-on-southern-gaza-reach-new-depths

[NMS] https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2023/12/4/khan-younis-hospital-stretched-by-influx-of-patients-as-israel-bombs-gaza [/NMS]

Second link is more in-depth about the hospital but be warned it has photos of injured patients including kids.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
It's always a possibility, but note that the same story about insider trading was pushed about the 9/11 attacks but no investigation ever actually discovered any insider trading.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CSM posted:

It's always a possibility, but note that the same story about insider trading was pushed about the 9/11 attacks but no investigation ever actually discovered any insider trading.

in this case, 5 days before would’ve been the first monday of the 4th quarter, so it’d hardly be surprising if some long/short funds were making huge adjustments to positions. quarterly rebalances and new positions that avoid EOQ reports for 3Q

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

also from the comments, dunno if true but lol if so. account posting is legit:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1731710044620607926

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pmchem posted:

also from the comments, dunno if true but lol if so. account posting is legit:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1731710044620607926

IP / Bad With Money crosspost of the year

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well there I go trusting The Economist without double checking for the first time in a decade

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Thinking the Economist is good with truth says more about the places you're comparing them to more than anything.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's telling that the story isn't anywhere on their actual site, but rather it's just some guy that works there reXeeting an article from elsewhere.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That's why I have to make the assumption that everything I read about this conflict is pure bullshit. Unfortunately, even that position can be weaponized against me.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys quick question how hosed are you if youre trying to fight an army of solid snakes and big bosses from metal gear who can get within literal arms reach of your infantry without them noticing

=====

The Al-Qassam Brigades broadcast scenes of a monitoring and reconnaissance operation of the Zionist enemy’s tents carried out by its mujahideen before carrying out the process of planting explosive devices and detonating them among the Zionist forces present in the place.

https://twitter.com/rdooan/status/1732035518857093581?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys quick question how hosed are you if youre trying to fight an army of solid snakes and big bosses from metal gear who can get within literal arms reach of your infantry without them noticing

=====

The Al-Qassam Brigades broadcast scenes of a monitoring and reconnaissance operation of the Zionist enemy’s tents carried out by its mujahideen before carrying out the process of planting explosive devices and detonating them among the Zionist forces present in the place.

https://twitter.com/rdooan/status/1732035518857093581?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

To be fair, that only shows the "monitoring" part, the rest could be bullshit.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

=====

There is only obe Solid snake and one Big Boss.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 5, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grip it and rip it posted:

There is only obe Solid snake and one Big Boss.

qft

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

=====

Is there a link to an article on them actually detonating/attacking rear areas through Hamas nydus canals?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If the footage is accurate, Getting that close shows a distinct lack of discipline and security.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
they put a camera on a meerkat

meerkam

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

If the footage is accurate, Getting that close shows a distinct lack of discipline and security.

It’s a small camera on a stick coming out of a hidden underground spiderhole.

Not sure manning the ECP and maintaining 360 is gonna cover all your bases in that environment.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/6/anti-zionism-is-antisemitism-us-house-asserts-in-dangerous-resolution

quote:

Washington, DC – Palestinian rights advocates are denouncing a congressional resolution that equates anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, calling it a “dangerous” measure that aims to curb free speech and distract from the war in Gaza.

This seems somewhat related to the current conversation and once again I do not see it having been shared in here yet.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

if you want to discuss the free speech angle of all this, this is probably related to that resolution's existence:

https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1732179418787783089?s=20

a few universities with significantly looser moderation standards than SA

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

pmchem posted:

if you want to discuss the free speech angle of all this, this is probably related to that resolution's existence:

Wow.

I went into that expecting: "ah, yes, they're probably being asked to equate antizionism and antisemitism and are refusing to play ball" after reading the description and after a quick glance at who the questioner was(QAnon conspiracy nutbar), but instead it's straight up: "is calling for the genocide of all Jews a hate crime?" met with the response of "well that depends on the context!"

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i mean, not even being asked if it’s a hate crime. just if it’s against the code of conduct for bullying or harassment, as per quote and video posted n tweet. no actual criminal offense implications in the question.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What the everliving gently caress is wrong with those psychos

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
So who’s responsible for rebuilding all of Gaza’s infrastructure? The US for supplying the bombs or Israel for using them?

Who’s going to foot the bill to all the families who had women and children killed or wounded?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BUUNNI posted:

So who’s responsible for rebuilding all of Gaza’s infrastructure? The US for supplying the bombs or Israel for using them?

Who’s going to foot the bill to all the families who had women and children killed or wounded?

you, personally

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
This stupid catch-22 of bigotry makes it impossible to even discuss this conflict with anyone. If you criticize the Israeli government for killing over 15000 innocent people, mostly women and children, you're antisemitic. Even suggesting they stop being shitheads and try to coexist with their neighbors you get called antisemitic. Conversely, if you criticize anything Hamas has done, you're Islamophobic.

Humanity was a mistake.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Dandywalken posted:

you, personally

Im planning to move out of the US precisely so my taxes don’t fund any more genocides, actually :v:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
They weren't offering their personal opinions, right? Theoretically everyone in the world should provide the same answer to "Does the Harvard anti-harassment policy prohibit [whatever]?"

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

pmchem posted:

Is this related to trying to equate the 'from the river to the sea' chant with calls for genocide?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BUUNNI posted:

Im planning to move out of the US precisely so my taxes don’t fund any more genocides, actually :v:

Lol

loving lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

raminasi posted:

They weren't offering their personal opinions, right? Theoretically everyone in the world should provide the same answer to "Does the Harvard anti-harassment policy prohibit [whatever]?"

I mean, this is true, yes. But as presidents of their institutions, I would assume they are also setting those policies.

Punished Ape posted:

Is this related to trying to equate the 'from the river to the sea' chant with calls for genocide?

I think it's unrelated in the sense that "this hearing is what made them attempt that statement equivalence" but related in the sense of "let's pull out all the stops to make those drat dirty liberals look like filthy antisemites."