Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pentyne posted:

What is the endgame for Embracer? Is this just like some kind of desperate controlled bankruptcy sell off? I don't understand what kind of future they have.

All this mass firing and dumping of studios has apparently managed to trim their debt from $2 billion to $1.5 billion, but I don't know if that's good or meaningless by their company size standards.

All the studios they own are presumably generating future positive value (until they get shitcanned before their WIP games release).

Embracer's issue is not insolvency, as far as I know. Their problem is liquidity. They bought all these profit-generating game developers but they won't actually get the money until those studios actually finish and sell the poo poo they're halfway working through. As a result Embracer has no actual cash on hand to pay off their massive loans, even though their theoretical future value is good enough to pay them off (or at least, in an econ 101 sense it ought to be, if the purchase prices for each studio were fair market values).

So basically these layoffs are a devil's bargain of killing part of their future profits in exchange for postponing their runway and getting more time for game-release money to start rolling in and paying off the debts.

At least that's my uneducated non-insider guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Not the only company yeeting people, EA are doing what literally everyone said they were going to do and gutting Codemasters.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1731839695804371000

codemasters just switched over to unreal engine so if nothing else they're probably downsizing the tech side now that they're not maintaining their own engine anymore

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I would simply secure the deal before writing a bunch of checks you can't cash but I didn't go to business school

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Feldegast42 posted:

I would simply secure the deal before writing a bunch of checks you can't cash but I didn't go to business school

if you finance with other people's money it always goes this way, and at that scale it never is your own money

in fact, if you actually had that money, you would use it to get 10 times more money from other people and invest that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also literally no meaningful consequences for the people who get to make those decisions besides mild personal embarrassment and a slightly smaller yacht.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

on the contrary, rockstar hates the PC RP community because they play on modded servers that are detached from their microtransaction ecosystem

they'll milk the console versions for all they're worth before begrudgingly launching it on PC a year or two later
console versions also do a better job of hiding their piss poor netcode with rampant cheating

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

kliras posted:

console versions also do a better job of hiding their piss poor netcode with rampant cheating

Yeah, for those who don’t know, GTA Online’s net code is completely peer to peer and client authoritative. It’s super easy for malicious actors to develop tools that allow you to, say, teleport everyone to one location over and over, or spawn a bunch of invulnerable hostile NPC‘s or even a whole second copy of the terrain, or change the weather, or spawn money on top of people. You can’t even report the hackers, because of the way that the reporting works under the hood is to send the hacker a packet saying “hey someone is reporting you, please send a packet containing your client details to the Rockstar CS server”. Obviously, if you’re running a modded game client, you can just intercept that packet and do nothing with it. it’s totally worthless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Yeah, for those who don’t know, GTA Online’s net code is completely peer to peer and client authoritative. It’s super easy for malicious actors to develop tools that allow you to, say, teleport everyone to one location over and over, or spawn a bunch of invulnerable hostile NPC‘s or even a whole second copy of the terrain, or change the weather, or spawn money on top of people. You can’t even report the hackers, because of the way that the reporting works under the hood is to send the hacker a packet saying “hey someone is reporting you, please send a packet containing your client details to the Rockstar CS server”. Obviously, if you’re running a modded game client, you can just intercept that packet and do nothing with it. it’s totally worthless.

I’m going to be abusing this soon in single player to turn into Bigfoot and fight what I think might be a Superman analogue (the secret final boss). Pretty cool!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Also it was really easy to just pop open cheat engine and give yourself a billion dollars. Which was just kind of sad? Even the shittiest of online games I've played are incredibly hard to gently caress around with like that. But not GTA Online!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
So basically it was an adequate solution for some buddies fooling around in multiplayer GTA until someone decided "hey, let's scale this up to MMO-numbers"?

Would people do that, blindly applying some tech to something beyond it's intended purpose?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also the load-times whenever you did anything got absurdly long until someone did some packet sniffing and made a Youtube video pointing out that hey, maybe making the client download several hundred MB of JSON or whatever every time they switch into or out of an activity is a bad idea.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the issue wasn't so much the size of the JSON but their parser having exponential complexity, which is an insidious type of bug because it was probably fast enough during initial development when the JSON was fairly small but as the item schema grew in size it gradually ended up taking minutes to load

someone probably should have realised something was wrong, but of course the engine A-team was busy working on RDR2 at that point

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As a software developer I really feel that lol

My current job I joined I ended up very early on debugging an issue with some pages on our test site taking up to 80 seconds to load (not sure why they didn't have the customary 30 sec. timeout) and I figured out after digging through execution plans that the system set up for role verification was very badly unoptimized. So when I came in to get training on our proprietary system as a dev and got a couple dozen roles assigned across multiple domains to check all the different modules we are making, it ended up with the page view having to look through many hundreds of millions of rows through at times inefficient joins and outer applies lol. Rarely likely to be a big issue outside of test but it sped ut some views in prod from 4-5 second loads to near instant - I have no idea how nobody else ran into it but they got it fixed quick after I reported the issue. Scaling can be really difficult to plan and foolproof for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arivia posted:

I’m going to be abusing this soon in single player to turn into Bigfoot and fight what I think might be a Superman analogue (the secret final boss). Pretty cool!

And THIS is the game that's a massive cash cow for Rockstar thanks to pay2win microtransactions?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Here's a writeup by the guy who found the bug. At least they gave him 10k for his troubles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And THIS is the game that's a massive cash cow for Rockstar thanks to pay2win microtransactions?

That content is actually in the base game, it’s a secret bit after you get 100% completion. I’m going to use a mod or something to help unlocking it though, since the preceding step that kept it well hidden is to find a specific hidden plant in a four hour window once during the in game week, with a different plant for each day. Oh, and it has to be a specific weather condition, which is just totally random.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Twitch will be shutting down operations in Korea: https://blog.twitch.tv/en/2023/12/05/an-update-on-twitch-in-korea/

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Another day, another set of layoffs:

https://www.eurogamer.net/layoffs-reported-at-hello-neighbor-publisher-tinybuild

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm kinda curious to know why Twitch was so much more expensive to operate in Korea than elsewhere, and how other livestreaming services are able to operate under the same conditions - presumably turning a profit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm kinda curious to know why Twitch was so much more expensive to operate in Korea than elsewhere, and how other livestreaming services are able to operate under the same conditions - presumably turning a profit.

here's the explanation i found:

quote:

Korea recently passed a law that made it legal for ISPs to charge companies for the bandwidth their websites use, which bumps up operating costs 100x because now if you have a 1-50 viewer 1080p stream you have to pay out the rear end every hour that they stream. It's just not sustainable for any streaming services.

I also heard that foreign companies are charged significantly more to encourage local alternatives

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Shooting Blanks posted:

Network Neutrality got killed in South Korea last year. ISPs in South Korea now require sites to pay for user traffic to isps. Twitch Korea has been struggling to pay network fees ever since and they've just decided it's not worth the money to operate in South Korea at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Answered better above about how stupid SKs law is and why net neutrality is actually stupid important.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So how does that work exactly? Wouldn’t Koreans just use a VPN to access Twitch at that point?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

So how does that work exactly? Wouldn’t Koreans just use a VPN to access Twitch at that point?
They can and it's a workable solution for watching streams, but it's not a workable solution for streamers for a number of reasons. Even ignoring issues with getting your payouts, you'd need extremely high grade internet to be able to stream well through a VPN (and you'd need to pay for a high quality one)

As an aside,

quote:

Twitch streamers in Korea have devoted significant time and effort into building their communities, and we plan to help these communities find new homes — even if it’s regrettably not on Twitch. We will work to help Twitch streamers in Korea move their communities to alternative livestreaming services in Korea. We are also reaching out to several of these services to help with the transition and will communicate with impacted streamers as those discussions progress.

if they actually go through with this, this is a good gesture on Twitch's part.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Next up: Australian indie studio League of Geeks (Armello), which has laid off a little over half its staff and put one of its two Early Access titles - starship simulator Jumplight Odyssey - in cryosleep in a mad sprint to use what's left of their finances and resources to ship the other - Hell-themed strategy game Solium Infernum - in February.

An FAQ cites dramatic increase in costs, the decline of the Australian dollar, lengthened development times from remote work and several investment deals falling through for the decision. One last patch for Jumplight Odyssey will be put out before it goes on ice containing everything that's ready for human consumption, and 50% of all revenue from the next year of sales will go straight to the development team.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

drat, this thread is just a grim parade of layoffs.

The Kins posted:

One last patch for Jumplight Odyssey will be put out before it goes on ice containing everything that's ready for human consumption, and 50% of all revenue from the next year of sales will go straight to the development team.

Good for them. I hope the bet on Solium Infernum keeps them in the green. It's gotten a decent amount of press.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jumplight looked pretty promising. I really hope they can turn things around.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jumplight looked pretty promising. I really hope they can turn things around.
I played it briefly at PAX Aus, and can definitively say that it's... not the kind of game that demos well at a crowded, expensive double-length expo booth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

I played it briefly at PAX Aus, and can definitively say that it's... not the kind of game that demos well at a crowded, expensive double-length expo booth.

Yeah, I can see that lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't really want to support statements that include blaming working from home for delays, unless they are specifically talking about the difficulty of getting everybody networked and coordinating different tasks and jobs, but that's a skill issue

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't see any reason not to take them at their word here. Remote work isn't a magic, free productivity boost. There's obviously a cost to the act of switching, itself. And that paradigm will work better for some people and teams, and worse for others. For a small team like that, each individual makes up a large portion of the total, so if it's a drag for even a handful of people, that can be a big deal. Add that into all the other stuff they mention and yeah, it can totally be a contributing factor to their struggle.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's definitely a case-by-case thing. Some places utterly thrived under remote work, while others lost a lot of productivity when their usual approaches to handing team organization no longer worked.

Meanwhile, IGN reports that morale at Bungie is exactly as sunny as you'd imagine given recent circumstances, with their last vestige of independence (they have a split board of directors) potentially getting crushed under a dissolution of the existing board and Complete Sony Domination if they fail to hit certain revenue goals, resulting in a ton of cost cutting measures to the point of no longer sending out birthday cards to staff.

quote:

Several people we spoke to told us that leaders had reiterated, across multiple meetings, that they couldn’t guarantee there wouldn’t be more layoffs, with two specifically recalling chief people officer Holly Barbacovi outright stating that layoffs were a “lever” the company would pull again.

“We know we need Final Shape to do well,” one source told IGN. “And the feeling at the studio is that if it doesn’t we’re definitely looking at more layoffs.”

Others said they were rebuffed repeatedly and discouraged from even discussing the layoffs whenever they tried to ask questions. Employees in one department recalled a post-layoffs Q&A session where a department head was asked if leadership taking salary cuts to prevent layoffs had been considered, only to respond that Bungie was “not that type of company.”
Needless to say, I think Bungie's looking at getting swallowed into the Sony Machine. Given how much their current management is screwing the pooch, that may not necessarily be the worst thing, but still, drat shame it's come to this.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I just can't imagine the gall you'd need to have to just say, "no gently caress our employees" instead of "we weigh all solutions to financial difficulties carefully"

On the one hand, it's incredibly forthright and honest which is good. On the other hand, the statement is effectively violence towards all of your staff.

Just a really weird choice for managing morale.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

leper khan posted:

"Morale? What's that? Hold on, let me check my metrics here.....hm....nope, I don't think we're tracking that one, I don't see how it'd be relevant to the company if it's not being tracked in the quarterlies. Did you mean MAU?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

leper khan posted:

I just can't imagine the gall you'd need to have to just say, "no gently caress our employees" instead of "we weigh all solutions to financial difficulties carefully"

On the one hand, it's incredibly forthright and honest which is good. On the other hand, the statement is effectively violence towards all of your staff.

The way the news and government talked about workers over the last 2 years has been increasingly hostile. It shouldn't be surprising that tone and messaging is filtering into the management class.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I find it strange that companies believe that remote work is the reason for delays when nobody can keep a fuckin job for more than 6 months before getting laid off or "restructured"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mr Hootington posted:

The way the news and government talked about workers over the last 2 years has been increasingly hostile. It shouldn't be surprising that tone and messaging is filtering into the management class.

Got your dog and tail in the wrong order there

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr Hootington posted:

What's funny is that workers probably haven't had such broad public support in decades. There have been multiple, high profile union battles over the last 18 months, all of which were pretty well regarded. This gets beyond the game industry, but there is talk of unionization at developers and that would be fantastic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a company I was an exec at once nixed the exec layer’s bonuses so that the rest of the employees would get more of theirs (the numbers didn’t line up, but it let us convince the board to approve a higher amount for everyone else), and pretty much nobody in our peer group at other companies believed that we would even consider it

the team executed well, and the outcome was due to a weak strategy! it’s the only reasonable thing!

I would not expect to see that happen in big game companies, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

leper khan posted:

Bungie needs to use their tried and true tactic and buy themselves out of their contract with Bungie