Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Top G posted:

You never been to a jiffy lube? They too serve caffeine in comparable doses in self-serve unlabeled beverage form :monocle:

I'm guessing that it doesn't taste like lemonade at jiffy lube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm going to put my money on the shift to taller and larger vehicles with enormous human sized blind spots in the front so bad that they install cameras.

There needs to be some law regarding the minimum angle and distance you can see the ground in front of the vehicle.

The problem is designing a road for the wrong speed. We make every road look like a freeway but just trusted that people wont go fast because we put a sign up.

We should also have speed cameras in problem areas.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
IMO speed cameras don’t work because they’re fixed in place so once you know where they are you just make a mental note to not speed down those areas. Practically speaking, what happens that people will speed their usual +10 all the way up to a camera before slamming the breaks to go -10 and creating a huge traffic jam/block before they pass the camera and then resume their normal +10 speeds.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
that's a oddly threatening coffee based motto

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

InsertPotPun posted:

that's a oddly threatening coffee based motto

I think what they are advertising is that they know you don't want to be there so they will get you in and out quickly.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Boris Galerkin posted:

IMO speed cameras don’t work because they’re fixed in place so once you know where they are you just make a mental note to not speed down those areas. Practically speaking, what happens that people will speed their usual +10 all the way up to a camera before slamming the breaks to go -10 and creating a huge traffic jam/block before they pass the camera and then resume their normal +10 speeds.

Don't know how they're used in the US, but in my country, cameras are used on particularly dangerous stretches where it's imperative to get people to slow down. That usually works. The best is of course two cameras a few miles apart which measure your average speed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Freudian slippers posted:

Don't know how they're used in the US, but in my country, cameras are used on particularly dangerous stretches where it's imperative to get people to slow down. That usually works. The best is of course two cameras a few miles apart which measure your average speed.

Presumably that's what they're for but a lot of times they're just used as passive income generation for the local police/government.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Panera sells or sold a 30 fl oz drink with 390 mg caffeine in it.

Wait, what? Are we assuming this person drank NINETY OUNCES of caffeinated lemonade? That's almost 3/4 of a gallon. More than 2 and a half liters. I would struggle to drink that much water in a short period of time.

That person must have felt like poo poo half way through their second cup and kept going.

Edit: A 120mph global car speed limit is something I hate because it will mostly only impact people like me who take their cars to tracks where you're supposed to go that fast. 120 is both too fast to actually be safe anywhere except the autobahn, but too slow for track days. Requiring a track car to not be road legal would cut all but the very rich out of the hobby without actually meaningfully increasing safety. I could see the argument of "my hobby isn't worth people dying" if a significant number of deaths were caused by going faster than that, but they just aren't. 120 will kill you just as dead as 160.

A much more sane approach would be to require a higher class of drivers' license for more powerful cars (say, anything above 250 hp), lock that behind some kind of high-performance driving education (the kind you need to be on track anyways, basically), and it gets suspended if you gently caress around on public streets. A car with less horsepower than that isn't going to be able to get much above 120, isn't going to power oversteer into a ditch when it rains, and isn't going to have a 0-60 a manchild might call "ludicrous" for marketing purposes.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 6, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KillHour posted:

Wait, what? Are we assuming this person drank NINETY OUNCES of caffeinated lemonade? That's almost 3/4 of a gallon. More than 2 and a half liters. I would struggle to drink that much water in a short period of time.

I’m not making that assumption.

It’s just that people were throwing around that 390 mg caffeine number without talking about how big the drink is. I looked up the news article and the size lemonade that had 390 mg was the 30 fl oz.

I would assume that someone dining inside a restaurant with an all you can drink fountain would have been given a smaller normal sized cup. I didn’t dig too deep into the article about the 2nd person but iirc it said he had a heart condition.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I'm ok with limiting the speed of my vehicles as long as I can get to 60 in 3 seconds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s just that people were throwing around that 390 mg caffeine number without talking about how big the drink is. I looked up the news article and the size lemonade that had 390 mg was the 30 fl oz.

I would assume that someone dining inside a restaurant with an all you can drink fountain would have been given a smaller normal sized cup. I didn’t dig too deep into the article about the 2nd person but iirc it said he had a heart condition.

I'm not saying you're assuming that, per-se. I'm saying that to get to the numbers being quoted about how much caffeine was consumed, you'd HAVE to assume that. Based on the reporting and discussion, it's easy to come to the conclusion that drinking 3 12/16-oz cups of this lemonade is like drinking 10 8-oz cups of coffee.

Jesus III posted:

I'm ok with limiting the speed of my vehicles as long as I can get to 60 in 3 seconds.

This is exactly why it's stupid.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Boris Galerkin posted:

He had Sip Club, which gives you unlimited large drinks. Who would ask for a lousy small cup when the big one is free??

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Toebone posted:

He had Sip Club, which gives you unlimited large drinks. Who would ask for a lousy small cup when the big one is free??

Idk how it works I assume they just show the person behind the counter their membership card and the person automatically gives them the smallest cup (since it’s unlimited refill) as that makes the most sense store policy wise.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

According to this article

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/panera-breads-charged-lemonade-blamed-second-death-lawsuit-alleges-rcna128036

The 2nd person who died had hypertension and knew this, which is why he avoided energy drinks. Doesn’t say if he avoided caffeine in general.

Something I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned at all in this multi page discussion is that the lemonade uses guarana extract, a stimulant commonly used in energy drinks.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

According to this article

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/panera-breads-charged-lemonade-blamed-second-death-lawsuit-alleges-rcna128036

The 2nd person who died had hypertension and knew this, which is why he avoided energy drinks. Doesn’t say if he avoided caffeine in general.

Something I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned at all in this multi page discussion is that the lemonade uses guarana extract, a stimulant commonly used in energy drinks.

That was mentioned in the articles, though.

Does it affect people with health conditions more than caffeine alone?

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
As the type of person who was looking at the adverse event doses for caffeine on the last page and was like, "ah, heh, well..." I don't like the apparent embrace of this idea that caffeine is some kind of dangerous substance that needs to be dispensed by a licensed professional or some poo poo.

For the record, a 30 oz cup of Coke has about 100 mg of caffeine. Starbucks serves all kinds of glorified milkshakes that go past 300 at that size. This "charged lemonade" is not an absurd outlier beverage - it is the kind of thing that people who have high caffeine dependency and availability like to have available.

Still, speaking as somebody who is sometimes actively seeking caffeine I would support stronger labeling standards. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to scan the can of $NewEnergyDrinkX at the convenience store to try to figure out whether it's bringing the goods or not?

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 6, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Misunderstood posted:

As the type of person who was looking at the adverse event doses for caffeine on the last page and was like, "ah, heh, well..." I don't like the apparent embrace of this idea that caffeine is some kind of dangerous substance that needs to be dispensed by a licensed professional or some poo poo.

For the record, a 30 oz cup of Coke has about 100 mg of caffeine. This "charged lemonade" is not an absurd outlier beverage - it is the kind of thing that people who have high caffeine dependency and availability like to have available.

I don't think anyone is advocating for reclassing caffeine as a scheduled substance. If nothing else, that probably would cause an outright panic among the people dependent on it.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think anyone is advocating for reclassing caffeine as a scheduled substance. If nothing else, that probably would cause an outright panic among the people dependent on it.
Yeah, I don't think anybody is doing that. But if companies start to see themselves as facing liability issues for serving highly caffeinated beverages, it'll have knock-on effects that are a bummer for people who like high amounts of caffeine, who will probably just end up having to pay extra for the same amount of drugs.

(Yeah I know it's bad to be addicted to things. There are a few other things people might marvel at my dosages of. None of them are alcohol or opiates or cocaine so really it's just a financial burden.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Right it was in the article but iirc nobody has ever discussed that specific point or brought it up for discussion itt.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I didn't see that, that does change things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump had an interview with Sean Hannity last night.

Hannity tried to set Trump up with a softball question to allow him to shut down all the criticism that he would abuse his power or wanted to be a dictator if he won a second term.

Trump did not hit the softball.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1732399835976720443

quote:

Trump declines to rule out abusing power to seek retribution if he returns to the White House

NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump declined to rule out abusing power if he returns to the White House after Fox News Channel host Sean Hannity asked him Tuesday to respond to growing Democratic criticism of his rhetoric.

The GOP presidential front-runner has talked about targeting his rivals — referring to them as “vermin” — and vowed to seek retribution if he wins a second term for what he argues are politically motivated prosecutions against him. As Trump has dominated the Republican presidential primary, President Joe Biden has stepped up his own warnings, contending Trump is “ determined to destroy American democracy.”

“Under no circumstances, you are promising America tonight, you would never abuse power as retribution against anybody?” Hannity asked Trump in the interview taped in Davenport, Iowa.

“Except for day one,” Trump responded. “I want to close the border and I want to drill, drill, drill.”

Trump then repeated his assertion. “I love this guy,” he said of the Fox News host. “He says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said: ‘No, no, no, other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling. After that, I’m not a dictator.’”

Earlier in the interview, Hannity had asked Trump if he “in any way” had “any plans whatsoever, if reelected president, to abuse power, to break the law to use the government to go after people.”

“You mean like they’re using right now?” Trump replied.

Trump’s campaign rhetoric and sweeping plans for a second term that include firing large swaths of the federal bureaucracy and targeting his rivals have alarmed Democrats and become a chief election argument for Biden as he prepares for a potential rematch against Trump.

“Donald Trump has been telling us exactly what he will do if he’s reelected and tonight he said he will be a dictator on day one. Americans should believe him,” Biden campaign manager Julie Chavez Rodriguez said in a statement.

At a series of fundraisers Tuesday, Biden again warned that Trump and his allies are out to “destroy” democratic institutions as he assailed the GOP front-runner, who tried to overturn the results of the 2020 election and is facing criminal charges connected to those efforts.

Trump, meanwhile, has tried to turn the tables on Biden and argued in a Saturday speech in Iowa that the president is the real “destroyer of American democracy” as he repeated his longstanding contention that the four criminal indictments against him show Biden is misusing the federal justice system to damage his chief political rival.

Trump has promised to prosecute Biden if he wins.

Hannity, a longtime Trump supporter and adviser, has often seemed to use his interviews to coach the former president to say things that will benefit him politically. The questions Tuesday appeared to be another example of those efforts.

The event had been advertised as a town hall the day before Trump’s leading rivals gather at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa for the fourth GOP debate. While town halls typically feature audience questions, only Hannity asked questions of Trump on Tuesday. He taped a similar interview with Trump in July.

Trump is once again planning to skip the debate and will spend the evening at a fundraiser in Florida instead.

Trump has been dominating his rivals both nationally and in Iowa, which will kick off the election with its caucuses on Jan. 15. That includes Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has staked his campaign on the first-in-the-nation contest, and former United nations Ambassador Nikki Haley, who has been gaining momentum following a series of well-reviewed performances at the debates.

DeSantis, who on Saturday completed his campaign promise to visit each of Iowa’s 99 counties, has repeatedly called on Trump to join the debates.

“Get out of your dungeon. Get off the keyboard, stand on the debate stage and let’s go,” he said Tuesday in Florida.

After the taping, Trump visited the Front Street Pub & Eatery in Davenport, where he stopped by tables and signed red “Make America Great Again” hats, according to video of the event.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Misunderstood posted:

For the record, a 30 oz cup of Coke has about 100 mg of caffeine. Starbucks serves all kinds of glorified milkshakes that go past 300 at that size. This "charged lemonade" is not an absurd outlier beverage - it is the kind of thing that people who have high caffeine dependency and availability like to have available.

Right, so in the first case you can see how it would be surprising if an item advertised as "juice with a kick" is nearly 4x as caffeinated as the "unhealthy" alternative that you might be trying to avoid by getting something with fruit in it. In the second case, you aren't the one filling your cup - sure you might be a nutter and order something with a triple espresso shot, but no one can say you didn't know what you were getting.

The intersection of these two things is where it gets especially dicey - not only is it much more caffeinated than the items it is displayed with, it also is eligible for whatever this Big Gulp refill program is - imagine if Starbucks let you get a free refill on your triple espresso mochaccino or whatever. I understand that caffeine is very integrated in society, and everyone is used to being able to get coffee or soda wherever they want, but given just how much caffeine you are getting in one cup and how much it deviates from consumer expectations (again, more like Brisk or Arnold Palmer than Monster or Rockstar), you don't have to be an ambulance chaser to see how this could be dangerous for customers.

This kind of feels like the "I can't believe they sued McDonalds just because some idiot burned themselves on coffee", where people assume the product in question comports with their common-sense expectation and then you explain that, actually, the coffee was like 205 degrees, so hot it caused severe burns when it was spilled. This drink isn't Mountain Dew, don't assume it is Mountain Dew just because that feels like what would be reasonable

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't think it's necessarily verboten even to have an energy drink dispenser in your store if you so choose - I don't think it would be a GOOD idea for a variety of reasons, but if it was clearly labeled as the energy drink dispenser and what it dispensed was standard products like Monster, Rockstar, or equivalent generics AND the caffeine content was labeled on it, then sure. Similarly, you can totally have a communal coffee pot that anyone can pour from, because 'everyone knows' that coffee has a lot of caffeine. The problem is, we know how people drink fountain drinks, we know because people get up in arms when you try to restrict them for health reasons, and we know that if you give someone bigger cup options they will take them (especially if the price/oz is better).

What's especially egregious is that the drink has more caffeine than is allowed in soda ("cola-type beverages" to be specific). That number is 71 mg/12 oz (I didn't know the exact number until I Googled), which is roughly 6 mg/oz. This drink has MORE THAN DOUBLE that number

Just to be clear, it is also more caffeinated than Monster, NOS, or Rockstar on a per-oz basis. It is WAY more caffeinated than any reasonable person would expect from something calling itself lemonade because it is much closer to an energy drink

Here's their online order page - note that you can get it in a half-gallon jug for the office or whatever too. "naturally-flavored, plant-based. Contains caffeine." The label is just the fruit flavors in their usual friendly font, why would anyone assume it has more caffeine than Monster?

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 6, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm guessing that it doesn't taste like lemonade at jiffy lube

No, tasted like motor oil. They assured me it was coffee though. Spilled a little on my shirt though and the stain just won't come out. Really slick too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

James Comer admitted that his initial claims about bank records showing Joe Biden getting $4,000 from Hunter Biden were not actually a $4,000 bribe from China.

However, it is still an impeachable offense because Joe Biden was putting lives in danger.

Hunter Biden did not have good enough credit to finance the car on his own, so he would have never been driving without the $4,000 and co-signature.

Since he used drugs, he shouldn't even be driving at all. The system would have worked to prevent him from financing a car if Joe Biden hadn't intervened to co-sign and loan him $4,000.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1732170559369142575

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Since he used drugs, he shouldn't even be driving at all.

this is how we get public transit funding in the US, millions of drivers licenses revoked for having ever smoked pot resulting in the car market collapsing as nobody can drive anymore

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James Comer admitted that his initial claims about bank records showing Joe Biden getting $4,000 from Hunter Biden were not actually a $4,000 bribe from China.

However, it is still an impeachable offense because Joe Biden was putting lives in danger.

Hunter Biden did not have good enough credit to finance the car on his own, so he would have never been driving without the $4,000 and co-signature.

Since he used drugs, he shouldn't even be driving at all. The system would have worked to prevent him from financing a car if Joe Biden hadn't intervened to co-sign and loan him $4,000.

I didn’t think they could get more pathetic, but here we go

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's obamaphones being used to "call your dealer" all over again.

Edit: I also don't follow the logic. Did Joe Biden get $4,000 from Hunter or did he pay Hunter $4,000 to help him buy a car? Or did Hunter repay Joe $4000 that he loaned him forever ago to help him buy a car when he was desperately in need of $4000? Because if it's the last one, then that's literally "Joe Biden is such a good parent that his son repaid him, even though he really didn't have to." I'm pretty sure I "owe" my mom more than that for when she helped with the downpayment on my house. That's just... normal parent poo poo.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Misunderstood posted:

Yeah, I don't think anybody is doing that. But if companies start to see themselves as facing liability issues for serving highly caffeinated beverages, it'll have knock-on effects that are a bummer for people who like high amounts of caffeine, who will probably just end up having to pay extra for the same amount of drugs.

(Yeah I know it's bad to be addicted to things. There are a few other things people might marvel at my dosages of. None of them are alcohol or opiates or cocaine so really it's just a financial burden.)

I think the biggest issue is that most people simply don't have a concept of how much caffeine is in a given beverage. It's largely seen as a "safe" substance, outside of people who have specific underlying conditions (and who are hopefully warned by doctors to reduce/eliminate caffeine intake). It's easy to figure out your own tolerance through trial and error by deciding that 3 cups of coffee in the morning is fine, 4 and you get jittery. Or one Red Bull is fine, two and it's uncomfortable.

Charged lemonade is specifically a problem through apparent inconsistent labeling/marketing across locations, and unlike the vast majority of energy drinks it's not sold in closed containers with a known size. When I used to drink energy drinks, I knew that I generally needed to stop at 2 Red Bulls while bartending or it would be too much.

None of the popular energy drinks are available as a Bag in Box syrup as far as I know. Alternative to mimic popular brands are available, but they're primarily (or exclusively) sold to bars to use on soda guns in lieu of paying more for actual Red Bull cans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump had an interview with Sean Hannity last night.

Hannity tried to set Trump up with a softball question to allow him to shut down all the criticism that he would abuse his power or wanted to be a dictator if he won a second term.

Trump did not hit the softball.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1732399835976720443

There's no way he's going to be able to go an entire campaign cycle without saying he's going to use state apparatus to have his enemies put to death.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KillHour posted:

It's obamaphones being used to "call your dealer" all over again.

Edit: I also don't follow the logic. Did Joe Biden get $4,000 from Hunter or did he pay Hunter $4,000 to help him buy a car? Or did Hunter repay Joe $4000 that he loaned him forever ago to help him buy a car when he was desperately in need of $4000? Because if it's the last one, then that's literally "Joe Biden is such a good parent that his son repaid him, even though he really didn't have to." I'm pretty sure I "owe" my mom more than that for when she helped with the downpayment on my house. That's just... normal parent poo poo.

In 2018, Biden co-signed for a car loan and lent him $4,000 for the downpayment. Hunter Biden paid him the $4,000 back later and Comer was initially alleging that money coming from Hunter Biden was "profit" that Biden was receiving from a bribe with China because Hunter sent it from his business checking account. This was shortly after Hunter Biden's company finished a project for the mayor of Beijing. It turns out, it was a loan repayment and not a "profit" from China.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 6, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

George Santos has quadrupled his price on cameo and become the second most requested personality on the app - surpassing people like Sarah Jessica Parker and Jon Bon Jovi in a single week.

He is already making over $300,000 and says he is doing it to raise money for his legal defense and to "remind these assholes who think they’re holier-than-thou that they will be forgotten in history and I will live forever, period."

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1732373968361766915
https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1732374716940214358

quote:

Just before 6 p.m. on Tuesday, George Santos was at Best Buy on Northern Boulevard in Queens.

Santos, whose biography on the celebrity video platform Cameo identifies him as a “Former congressional ‘Icon’!💅🏼,” was buying a stand for his phone, because he has hundreds of videos to make and his hand is getting tired.

The former congressman was expelled last Friday for a variety of sins and alleged crimes, including overcharging the credit card of a colleague’s mother. He has, in the intervening four days, stumbled across a path to making a living that dwarfs the $174,000 salary he earned as a member of Congress.

In fact, Santos said — and screenshots and the CEO of Cameo confirmed — that he has lined up more than that sum in his first 48 hours on the platform. People pay between $200 and $300 to Santos for various flavors of communication. The videos can take less than a minute to film, and the platform has brought millions of dollars to the occasional campy, game, minor celebrity like the late comedian Gilbert Gottfried.

Santos “is going to be an absolute whale,” Cameo’s founder and CEO, Steven Galanis, told Semafor. His launch, Galanis said, is among the platform’s best ever: “Sarah Jessica Parker, Bon Jovi — he’s putting numbers up like that,” he said.

Santos does seem to be putting his heart into the project.

Some of the videos offer encouragement: “Hey Harper, I love that you are such a dedicated student at NYU, you know, my not-so-real MBA,” he cheerily told a student.

Others are roasts — deliberate or not — like when Sen. John Fetterman’s, D-Pa. office deployed Santos to tell indicted Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J. to “stay strong.” (Santos wasn’t in on the joke, but finds it “hilarious.”)

Many are pure camp. One Democratic activist got Santos to sing a few bars of Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble.”

Santos signed onto the platform after an aide to former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy suggested it to him and initially underpriced his videos at a mere $75, a mistake he has since remedied. The former congressman, who is currently facing a 23-count federal indictment for fraud and other related offenses, has made 150 videos so far and said Tuesday evening that he planned to “crush another 60-70 tonight.”

Santos said he’d give some of the money to unspecified good causes, and that the cash was only part of the appeal.

“Obviously there’s a monetary benefit — I’m not here doing it for charity — but the other aspect is to remind these assholes who think they’re holier-than-thou that they will be forgotten in history and I will live forever, period,” he said.

The platform also offers an alternative to suggestions his next stop will be television. Santos said he has hired an agent, Evan Silverberg of Entertainment 360, but that “there’s this big disconnect that the entertainment industry is trying to cross me over to become a reality star, but they are forgetting one thing — I am the most conservative member of the New York delegation.”

Santos’s move to Cameo is a true meeting of a man and a moment.

At its best, Cameo offers mid-tier celebrities a way to capitalize on attention that’s typically the property of media companies and sports teams. It’s given a decent living to influencers and athletes most people have never heard of, and Santos currently sits second on the site’s leaderboard behind the former British teen star James Buckley. The CEO, who was forced to cut the company’s costs after it came down from pandemic highs, took Santos out to lunch at the Upper East Side’s Beach Cafe.

And I hesitate to draw the grand lessons about the decline of American politics and society that opinion writers are taking from the former congressman’s lies. He’s a familiar kind of American figure, not a new one, and one who might have happily thrived in Congress with a fake biography and questionable campaign finances in a pre-internet era.

He does seem to have finally found, as The New York Times noted, a way to make an “honest buck.” As Galanis, the Cameo CEO, told me, “This platform was built for him and he was built for it.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In other George Santos news, Kathy Hochul has announced that the special election to fill his seat will be scheduled as early as possible and will be held on February 13th.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

George Santos has quadrupled his price on cameo and become the second most requested personality on the app - surpassing people like Sarah Jessica Parker and Jon Bon Jovi in a single week.

He is already making over $300,000 and says he is doing it to raise money for his legal defense and to "remind these assholes who think they’re holier-than-thou that they will be forgotten in history and I will live forever, period."

e: nvm that was the gbs thread

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

In other George Santos news, Kathy Hochul has announced that the special election to fill his seat will be scheduled as early as possible and will be held on February 13th.

Was April 1 after the allowable timeframe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kind of sad that Jon Bon Jovi numbers are the ceiling for Cameo success. Well except for I guess disgraced congressman and drama vortex George Santos Miguel Sanchez

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

That I’m not sure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK589113/

This reference says that guarana extract contains caffeine and other “xanthine alkaloids such as theophylline and theobromine as well as catechins, epicatechins and procyanidins” but I have no idea what any of those things are. The seeds have a 2-8% concentration of caffeine vs 1-3% of coffee beans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Is he also changing his name to rear end Dan now?

Also good thing Fetterman got him.while he was cheap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeSantis is close to throwing in the towel.

Lots of major staff are quitting and the campaign has more or less accepted that they won't win, but are staying in the race on the hope that a miracle happens (Trump dies, his support collapses after being convicted, or some act of god that causes a win in Iowa). Many of the major professional staff have left and his campaign and Super PAC are now being run by his friends and local lawyers from Miami.

The campaign is now primarily working on figuring out who blew Ron's chances and whose fault it was instead of actually winning.

https://twitter.com/nancook/status/1732144171715023202

quote:

Ron DeSantis closest allies are taking greater control over the daily operations of his presidential run, another shakeup in the Florida governor’s 2024 bid just weeks before the first Republican nominating contest.

Scott Wagner, one of DeSantis’ oldest friends from their time at Yale and a lawyer in Miami, assumed leadership last weekend of the allied super political action committee, Never Back Down. That group has been effectively running DeSantis’ operation in Iowa.

With the state’s caucuses six weeks away, the stakes are higher than ever for DeSantis’ political team and supporters, who have watched the Florida governor go from the buzziest alternative to former President Donald Trump to one of the most mocked in a matter of months.

Never Back Down leadership has been in disarray in recent weeks, with three top officials leaving in rapid succession. The group’s chief executive officer Chris Jankowski resigned in late November. Since then, the super PAC’s chairman Adam Laxalt left, followed by interim chief executive officer Kristin Davison, who departed days after being appointed to the top job. Wagner is the third CEO of the group within the past month. One of Never Back Down’s top communications staffers, Erin Perrine, also left the group over the weekend.

The personnel turmoil did not stop there.

Florida-based lobbyists, with close ties to DeSantis’ campaign manager James Uthmeier, and one of DeSantis’ state government advisers have formed a new super PAC called “Fight Right” to handle advertising. DeSantis and his team have been unhappy with Never Back Down’s attacks on Nikki Haley, the governor’s chief rival for second place in the Republican field.

“Fight Right has publicly announced their operation features minimal overhead, and 100% of contributions go direct to TV ads,” Uthmeier announced in a memo on fundraising. DeSantis met with donors last week in Palm Beach, Florida, to try to raise money for the new group.

The leadership shakeups are the latest instances of infighting between the governor’s campaign in Tallahassee and Never Back Down, headquartered in Atlanta and run by longtime Republican operative Jeff Roe, who has never had the full trust of the Florida team.

DeSantis launched his presidential campaign in May with a well-funded super PAC and lofty expectations that he could wrestle the GOP mantel from Trump. Instead his run has been marked by public missteps and internal campaign bickering. Trump’s lead over DeSantis has widened and Haley has surpassed him as runner-up in many polls.

As the Florida governor’s poll numbers have dropped, the finger-pointing and blame game have grown. The campaign operatives privately say Never Back Down has spent money irresponsibly — much to the benefit of Roe’s company Axiom Strategies — while the super PAC team views the Florida campaign as a group of novices, who have no national political experience.

Roe did not respond to a request for comment.

“Our campaign is firing on all cylinders as we hit the home stretch in Iowa, and Ron DeSantis remains the only candidate who can defeat Donald Trump for the nomination and Joe Biden for the White House,” DeSantis campaign communications director Andrew Romeo said in a statement.

Campaigns and super PACs are not legally allowed to coordinate with one another, so much of the communication and posturing often plays out in the press.

The tensions have been percolating since late summer, two donors said. The mood in Tallahassee is increasingly dour, according to two people in frequent touch with the campaign staff.

Reality Check

“I think this paring back is really a great thing. While everyone there was committed, brilliant and dedicated to the governor, there were too many cooks in the kitchen and too many chiefs in the boardroom,” said Roy Bailey, who has hosted several fundraisers for DeSantis.

The governor has privately acknowledged to friends and allies that Trump holds so much sway over the Republican voter base that it leaves little room for alternative candidates. The timing may not have been right for DeSantis to run, according to allies.

Some DeSantis staffers say the governor could perform better than expected in Iowa — given his visits to all 99 counties and powerful endorsements from Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds and evangelical leader Bob Vander Plaats — and that could invigorate the campaign.

“The collective firepower of Team DeSantis remains unmatched,” deputy campaign manager David Polyansky said in a statement.

DeSantis needs to win Iowa, or come within 10 percentage points of Trump, if he wants to raise money from donors who are increasingly skeptical of his chances, according to people close to campaign.

The DeSantis campaign released an ad this week playing up his faith and his visits to churches in Iowa, a state where evangelical voters will play a key role in the GOP primary.

After Iowa, that state where DeSantis’ campaign and allied super PAC have spent the most time and money, the schedule looks even bleaker.

In New Hampshire, the second state to vote, residents prefer more moderate candidates, and DeSantis is polling in the single digits. Up next is South Carolina — Haley’s home state. Both she and Trump are expected to do well, leaving little room for DeSantis to amass delegates. Donors will not keep funding an operation with no margin for success, one DeSantis ally said.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1732208444034175395

No commentary here, just really funny. "My wife had some sort of relationship with Ghislane Maxwell". My dude, what are you doing.

The campaign is now primarily working on figuring out who blew Ron's chances and whose fault it was instead of actually winning.

While I support them getting out the long knives for each other, it seems pretty obvious who is at fault here - the terrible, rizzless homonculus of a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

While I support them getting out the long knives for each other, it seems pretty obvious who is at fault here - the terrible, rizzless homonculus of a candidate.

Well, mostly him, but also mostly Trump