Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the technical improvements seem to be good. bigger esl files is certainly a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Will I still be able to launch the game through mod organizer without having to update or will I need to turn my internet off each time?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can still launch through MO. Pretty much just don't launch it from Steam and you should be good.

Something I've been doing for years as well is copying the entire Skyrim directory in steam/steamapps/common as well, just in case I ever launch it improperly. If it does somehow get updated you can just copy the files back over.

There is a method of downgrading if you need too but that's easier.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Something I've been doing for years as well is copying the entire Skyrim directory in steam/steamapps/common as well, just in case I ever launch it improperly. If it does somehow get updated you can just copy the files back over.

That sounds similar to the Stock Game method that a lot of Wabbajack lists use, where they include a copy of all the main Skyrim files in the download to ensure that the exact correct version is used alongside their modlist (you still need to have the game installed through Steam to ensure you have a valid game license, though).

So, another vote that that approach works!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Both SKSE and Address Library have been updated to the new version, so that should cover most of everything except for one-off obscure poo poo that will either get patched, or won't. Update at your own risk though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If you make the appmanifest_XXXX.acf file in Steam\steamapps\ read-only (Right click > Properties > Read only), then Steam won't ever be able to upgrade the game. Did this for CP 2077 for a couple months after some patch or other came out, it works.

What XXXX is will depend on your version of the game. If you're running the AE for example, it'll be 626153 as seen here: https://steamdb.info/sub/626153/apps/. So you want to make Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_626153.acf read only.

But for Skyrim I relied on the backup copy, same as Orcs and Ostriches.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 5, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why is Bethesda still updating this game :psyduck:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

Why is Bethesda still updating this game :psyduck:

To fix existing bu- hahaha

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

To fix existing bu- hahaha

Hey, they finally fixed Arvak after 11 years :eng101:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

They did add some new things, but overall this is probably a testbed for Starfield and TES6
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/18bg0q4/meta_skyrims_new_update_reviewed_and_paid_mods/

new papyrus fuctions
ESL record count limit doubled from 2048 to 4096 so larger plugins can be flagged as ESL
CK updated

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Performance improvements, native ultrawide, steam deck support? I certainly won't say no to that

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Will I still be able to launch the game through mod organizer without having to update or will I need to turn my internet off each time?

hide the app manifest. The skyrim one is your steamapps folder and without it steam cant detect the game. Then you can just play the game via mod organizer.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

ThaumPenguin posted:

Performance improvements, native ultrawide, steam deck support? I certainly won't say no to that

Calling it native ultrawide is being extremely generous. They added the ability to the launcher instead of needing to edit an ini. The UI is still stretched out unless you mod it with a Sky UI ultrawide patch.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

Calling it native ultrawide is being extremely generous. They added the ability to the launcher instead of needing to edit an ini. The UI is still stretched out unless you mod it with a Sky UI ultrawide patch.

Ultrawide displays for ultra wide asses

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

lmao nevermind I guess

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Arthmoor hard at work fixing the most critical bugs in the latest update to the unofficial patch:

quote:

When Redbelly Mine was fixed, its ebony nodes were relocated to Northwind Mine. This has now been updated to instead relocate them to a new mini-dungeon east of Shor's Stone. (Bug #33087)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its gonna own when he updates the unofficial mod, takes down the previous version and refuses to keep it up for people who don't want to update

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I feel like adding a new dungeon whole cloth might be out of scope for a bug fix mod, but I'm not a mod developer I guess.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

I feel like adding a new dungeon whole cloth might be out of scope for a bug fix mod, but I'm not a mod developer I guess.

This is Arthmoor that we're talking about. His vision DEMANDS the new dungeon, just as it demanded the oblivion gates in Open Cities. He's a technically proficient dipshit. Random, pointless changes followed by stubborn resistance to legitimate criticism is his bread and butter.

The biggest plus in Starfield modding is that Arthmoor has absolutely loving nothing to do with the community patch.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

why were the ebony mining deposits even moved out of redbelly in the first place?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
characters in-game refer to redbelly mine as an iron mine, but there were no iron nodes in there, only ebony nodes

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like they should have left one ebony node in there, because otherwise where did the blacksmith in Shor's Stone get the ebony from? Or is there something stupid preventing that like Skyrim's coding allows a single cell to only have one kind of ore deposit or something like that?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
No, and in fact Gloombound Mine is an already existing vanilla mine with iron and ebony ore. There's no logic to it, it's just Arthmoor.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah I thought that wasn't the case, but I couldn't be 100% certain that the examples I was thinking of didn't have the two ore nodes in technically different cells.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Y'all just don't understand the setting like he does. There's a reason he's named Arthm'lore.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'll take Arthless please

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

why were the ebony mining deposits even moved out of redbelly in the first place?

Because Arthmoor has a long history of trying to take the "ebony" out of Skyrim, if you know what I mean :grin:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Redbelly Mine having unusual ore is referenced ingame, there's a quest about it even. That just wasn't enough justification for Arthmoor i guess

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SpudCat posted:

Redbelly Mine having unusual ore is referenced ingame, there's a quest about it even. That just wasn't enough justification for Arthmoor i guess
Yeah, that's the quest I was referencing in my post above.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SpudCat posted:

The unusual ore was Quicksilver though. I can understand taking the ebony out, but not putting it elsewhere. Oh well, it's not a deal breaker.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I can understand taking the ebony out, but not putting it elsewhere.

You have to maintain the balance of Skyrim's beautiful and perfect in-game economy.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

And ecology, to say nothing of geography and mineralogy.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Kinda surprised Arthmoor didn't go with "Well ackshually ebony's not a mineral, it's a hardwood, so instead of mining it you have to cut down special trees. I'm smart."

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm glad Beth didn't put paid mods into the Elder Scrolls game that's actually got the revolutionary modding scene going on right now.

Animation Blending, but apparently the OpenMW dev branch has this too.

Tamriel Rebuilt is what I'm going to play when it's finished (if I'm still alive by then). There's not much of that quality for any of the other games.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Honestly the Redbelly thing could be mostly fixed by just changing the ore sample to ebony. You wouldn't need to change anything else from vanilla and it would more or less make sense.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tough call, would be difficult to justify the presence of Oblivion gates without supply mines nearby.

It's not easy being lore-accurate.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

welp that was quick

Backported Extended ESL Support
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/106441

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wonder what this town named "shor's stone" would do with a new ore that is the blood of a god.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

v1ld posted:

I'm glad Beth didn't put paid mods into the Elder Scrolls game that's actually got the revolutionary modding scene going on right now.

Animation Blending, but apparently the OpenMW dev branch has this too.

Tamriel Rebuilt is what I'm going to play when it's finished (if I'm still alive by then). There's not much of that quality for any of the other games.

yeah, the last two odd years of skyrim haven't been revolutionary enough between SPID, a bunch of UI mods and community shaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/18e2qqo/i_bought_every_creation_so_you_dont_have_to/

Sounds like about the expected level of quality, though apparently the East Empire Company dungeon claiming is a bit weird because the dungeons respawn and... well the claiming thing doesn't quite account for that.