Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

indigi posted:

I get your point but remember how Richardson immediately told Cam he wasn't allowed to get tattoos? some of these owners are truly nuts; something as innocuous as Stroud's hair maybe could trigger a dude like that. even if it doesn't make any logical sense to us I can buy superficial prejudice being a determining factor in picking one guy over another, even if they're both black

Yes but I've also heard Cam talk about Richardson and their relationship following that conversation and he said they were in touch right up until Richardson passed and he considered him a friend and a mentor and never had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CJ Stroud look like a drat black Adam Driver ain't nobody scared of that man

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the chicago bears drafted mitch trubisky because he showed up in a lovely car, sometimes football guys really are that dumb

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
CJ Stroud has the body type of a guy that plays ultimate frisbee

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

i like to move it move it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BlindSite posted:

Yes but I've also heard Cam talk about Richardson and their relationship following that conversation and he said they were in touch right up until Richardson passed and he considered him a friend and a mentor and never had any issues.

yeah Richardson sounds like a real sweet guy that's why he couldn't hack it as an nfl owner

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

indigi posted:

yeah Richardson sounds like a real sweet guy that's why he couldn't hack it as an nfl owner

I didn't say he was. I'm saying Cam had a very different relationship with him than people assumed based on their reported conversation as a rookie.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Doltos posted:

CJ Stroud has the body type of a guy that plays ultimate frisbee

Hell yeah

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Titans need talent at a shitload of positions, as their roster is Straight Garbo. OT, WR, CB, ILB and OLB, NT, C…it’s bad. Hoping they lose enough to get one of the top two tackles but Troy Franklin is my most wanted guy for round two, I love the possibility of pairing him with Levis, because our WR room as currently constructed isn’t taking advantage of his deep ball ability

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Alaois posted:

CJ Stroud look like a drat black Adam Driver ain't nobody scared of that man

lmfaoooo

if anyone can find a way to be afraid of a young black man its gonna be an old white billionaire

The most insane things to me about Stroud from college to pros:

1. He gets rid of the ball fast, it makes me think dumbass Ryan Day told him to hold the ball forever (as he did with Fields) bc he doesn't do that poo poo in the NFL much at all
2. Holy gently caress can he create, its insane! That was such a huge knock on him and it's one of his greatest assets

The more I watch Stroud the more I think OSU fans are right for wanting to fire Day

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

1. He gets rid of the ball fast, it makes me think dumbass Ryan Day told him to hold the ball forever (as he did with Fields) bc he doesn't do that poo poo in the NFL much at all

TGG has posted about this before but Day’s offense does require QBs to hold the ball longer by design. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, OSU can generally provide great protection so an offense that generates stress via putting downfield defenders in conflict isn’t a bad thing. It’s very different than the Shanavay stuff that he’s running now and it’s to his credit that he can perform well in both schemes. It’s also why the “holds the ball too long” criticism was a little disingenuous. It didn’t take into account the design of the offense.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

it's just going to be hard to tell if a guy who holds onto the ball for a long time in college will be able to be the guy who gets rid of it quickly in the NFL, design of his college system or not.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Stroud still has one of the longest time to throw in the NFL(or whatever 'Pocket Time' is), just behind Fields. Looking at the list there isn't really that much correlation between how long you're holding the ball and how good you are this year; top-5 is Hurts, Russell Wilson, Fields, Stroud and Purdy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

joe football posted:

Stroud still has one of the longest time to throw in the NFL(or whatever 'Pocket Time' is), just behind Fields. Looking at the list there isn't really that much correlation between how long you're holding the ball and how good you are this year; top-5 is Hurts, Russell Wilson, Fields, Stroud and Purdy

Man Hurts legit holds the ball forever but he's got the best o-line in football so he can get away with it. In general this list is basically who's got good o-lines (Hurts/Purdy) or likes to create (Wilson / Stroud). And then there's Fields.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The thing about CJ Stroud was essentially whether you believed OSU v Georgia Stroud was the real guy or if that was just a fluke

Turned out to be real but you can understand people not wanting to take the gamble

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My memory of the C.J. Stroud discussion before the draft was that there was a ton of concern over his S2 Cognition test as he scored in the 18 percentile on it. He clearly doesn't seem to be having read processing difficulties, so I wonder if that means that the test itself isn't quite as predictive as the company makes it out to be, or if he just had a bad day.

On a completely different note, as an Iowa fan, I'm curious about how Cooper DeJean will translate to the NFL. Some draft sites list him as a viable CB prospect while others project him as a S in the NFL. Riley Moss had a little bit of that same talk around him last year, and while he's not taking a lot of snaps per game, he has split time between CB and S with the Broncos this year. Does Iowa's Cover 4 CB play just take Safety skills, but on the outermost quarter of the field maybe?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MikeCrotch posted:

The thing about CJ Stroud was essentially whether you believed OSU v Georgia Stroud was the real guy or if that was just a fluke

Turned out to be real but you can understand people not wanting to take the gamble

My whole thing with that game was that Stroud was already a very, very good QB prospect based on the entire body of his work in college to that point...and then in the biggest game of his career, against an elite defense, he had a performance that showed he was capable of performing at an even higher level, in a way that almost explicitly addressed most of the biggest question marks about him as a prospect.

During a pre-draft process where people were talking themselves into Anthony Richardson as a possible #1 guy because of his ceiling, I was baffled that people didn't see more significance in Stroud tangibly showing that he could play incredibly well while facing significant pressure and creating out of sequence. He was a high floor, high ceiling guy!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

xbilkis posted:

My whole thing with that game was that Stroud was already a very, very good QB prospect based on the entire body of his work in college to that point...and then in the biggest game of his career, against an elite defense, he had a performance that showed he was capable of performing at an even higher level, in a way that almost explicitly addressed most of the biggest question marks about him as a prospect.

During a pre-draft process where people were talking themselves into Anthony Richardson as a possible #1 guy because of his ceiling, I was baffled that people didn't see more significance in Stroud tangibly showing that he could play incredibly well while facing significant pressure and creating out of sequence. He was a high floor, high ceiling guy!

Agreed. He was a really good QB for his entire career, even ignoring the Georgia game he was a very solid prospect.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I mean Stroud ended up being taken 2nd overall and there's plenty of evidence some people in Carolina wanted him at #1, so it's less the NFL did not have the right read on him then they(or at least whoever made the call in Carolina) were really really wrong about Bryce

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

scouts and GMs overthink poo poo and desperately want some sort of objective measure of a player’s worth and they love to be suckered in by companies trying to invent the next myers-briggs astrological horseshit test. they’re stupid people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

My memory of the C.J. Stroud discussion before the draft was that there was a ton of concern over his S2 Cognition test as he scored in the 18 percentile on it. He clearly doesn't seem to be having read processing difficulties, so I wonder if that means that the test itself isn't quite as predictive as the company makes it out to be, or if he just had a bad day.

On a completely different note, as an Iowa fan, I'm curious about how Cooper DeJean will translate to the NFL. Some draft sites list him as a viable CB prospect while others project him as a S in the NFL. Riley Moss had a little bit of that same talk around him last year, and while he's not taking a lot of snaps per game, he has split time between CB and S with the Broncos this year. Does Iowa's Cover 4 CB play just take Safety skills, but on the outermost quarter of the field maybe?

Going to assume racial bias is a factor for both of these things.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

From what I understand the S2 Cognition Test gives you a prompt and tells you to click on something that is like that as fast as you can which is the dumbest possible way to look at a prospect. Anyone who repeated that poo poo or, even worse, judged CJ because of it should immediately be ignored on all future draft discussions. It was one of the most embarrassing moments in internet draftnik history.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Penix's throwing motion actually weird or does it just look weird because lefty

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

From what I understand the S2 Cognition Test gives you a prompt and tells you to click on something that is like that as fast as you can which is the dumbest possible way to look at a prospect. Anyone who repeated that poo poo or, even worse, judged CJ because of it should immediately be ignored on all future draft discussions. It was one of the most embarrassing moments in internet draftnik history.

Why does that sound like something for drafting in E-sports.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Is the C2 the one Purdy did really well on? FO's overvaluing a cognitive test because a late round surprise did well on it is dumb but also probably the most inevitable thing in the universe.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It’s always breathtaking to be given repeated evidence that many of the power brokers in charge of government, faith organizations, and corporations, are complete loving idiots.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Give Stroud mvp so we can bury "lol OSU QBs"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The NFL is still chock full of dumb guys

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Give Stroud mvp so we can bury "lol OSU QBs"

lets wait until Stroud can beat the worst team in the NFL before burying that one

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alaois posted:

lets wait until Stroud can beat the worst team in the NFL before burying that one

But he already beat the Steelers? :confused:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they test qbs based on how fast they can slide the mouse pointer across the screen using the spank the monkey flash game

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

McGinn should email the 32 owners and write "one of you hired this absolute idiot as an executive. put $5 million in escrow and you'll get the name"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the company that developed the S2 also developed and markets a course to improve your score on the S2

so, what the S2 really measures, is if you're a sucker

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stroud is a genius because he treated the test like the joke that it actually is.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kalensc posted:

McGinn should email the 32 owners and write "one of you hired this absolute idiot as an executive. put $5 million in escrow and you'll get the name"

"Definitely not my guy. Why would I put up cash to make another team better?" - All 32 Teams

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

I mean, can we predict every single dollar a person earns in their life by their ACT score? Standardized tests measure a type of intelligence relative to specific questions and contexts. The actual standardized test for quarterbacks is on their goddamn tape every week or on a chalkboard. The wonderlic ain’t it.

Iowa basically plays 3 coverages. Cover 2, Cover 2 man, and Cover 4. In their version of Cover 4, he’s basically an additional free safety who calls his own switches because of his athleticism. In 2, he’s frequently used as the pivot guy who moves from cloud to sky to sink as a trap to bait interceptions out of guys. In 2 man, he’s a good cover corner, but his best attribute is that he can come on and off guys so quickly with his hips and speed. In a lot of systems, I’ve described an ideal free safety who will either move around to follow a matchup or play MOF coverages and break on balls. You’re essentially saying “if I move him from a side to the middle, I can use him like earl thomas”. Based on skill set, I kind of get it. He’s so fluid that from a scarcity standpoint a guy like him who can freelance in zone is a lot rarer than a corner with his hips. It happens a lot when Iowa has undersized corners just because of the asks of that defense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is where If the wonderlic were a combination of personality measurement and "what is the audible you would call for here?" id actually consider it a valuable tool.

I dont give a poo poo if my QB knows what date is furthest in the future, that mother fucker doesnt need to open excel to throw the goddamn ball.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cooper DeJean is white so it's illegal for him to be a cornerback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

indigi posted:

Cooper DeJean is white so it's illegal for him to be a cornerback

How quickly we forget Jason Sehorn. Oh wait that was 20 years ago...