Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Congrats to America for coming up with another way to waste food

Scooped bagels lmaoooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

All I can think about is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCi91CU4AUk

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DyOwSCNkOY

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Now I want a bread bowl filled with soup

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Or chili sourdough bowl

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not the expert on chicken burgers, but I would assume they use a ground chicken patty? To me that's what makes something a burger instead of another type of sandwich.

Also scooped bagels are not new, sad to say. They bring it up in The Office and I've seen such atrocities much earlier than that as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not the expert on chicken burgers, but I would assume they use a ground chicken patty? To me that's what makes something a burger instead of another type of sandwich.

No. It's just a regular fried chicken sandwich like you get at Popeye's or whatever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think a full restaurant can find plenty of things to do with bread scraps if they're generating a lot of them from some other weird recipe they have, much like how things like french toast can be a use for bread that has gone stale. Bread pudding, croutons, or stuffing come to mind as options. A bagel shop, not so much. And you come to the bagel capital of America and tell them to scrape the bagel out of the bagel so you get less bagel? Get outta here.

The best thing to do with the scooped out innards is to mix them with butter and then put them back in the bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvRfPCrR3A&t=850s

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I remember when all the discourse was saying this was some west coast nonsense but the only bagel place I've ever seen offer scooped bagels was a (very touristy) spot right next to Central Park.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hope it burnt down

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Scooping out bread, like a baguette or ciabatta to fit some extra fillings seems like a pretty standard thing that's been done over here in europe forever. What makes those boiled bread circles so sacro(is)sant? I mean if you want them scoped out for some health reason that is very silly, but otherwise I don't really see the issue.

As for chicken burger vs sandwisch, if the chicken is served in a burger bun it's a burger and if it's served in some other type of bread it's a sandwich. Really folks, it's not rocket science.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Correct way to eat a classic NYC bagel:

1. Throw it in the garbage
2. Find a Montréal-style bagel place
3. Eat the bagel

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

bagels aren't particularly large, maybe they just want to make room for more cream cheese or avocado?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NO MOM!! I'm not on drugs!

All I want is a scooped gluten-free bagel, and she wouldn't give it to me!
All I wanted was a scooped gluten-free bagel, just one scooped gluten-free bagel
And she wouldn't give it to me, just a scooped gluten-free bagel"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I really don't understand this idea. Apparently it's so that you can put more cream cheese in it? But cream cheese is a solid. You can already put as much fuckin cream cheese as you drat well please in between the two halves of the bagel. It's not like a bread bowl where the scooping is required to hold liquid soup.

It seems like wasting food for no goddamn reason. But I guess "wasting food for no goddamn reason" ought not be surprising to me in this thread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll have you know Europeans of the thread have already declared they are experts at wasting food, so perhaps it is the non-scoopers who are the problem

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Also, half the appeal of getting a bagel over other bread is the dense, chewy internal texture. Seems weird to remove it, especially for cream cheese since I have seen unscooped bagels with like an inch of cream cheese between the halves so it's not exactly necessary.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

One of the first things you learn in the food industry is that people are stupid and have no taste.

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

"Hi, can you throw away like half of this" when I was a barista wouldn't have even registered as weird to me, but they would've had to explain it because I've never heard of a scooped bagel until tiktok went off on that dude.

At least it's not the guy who asked for a huge scoop of pimento cheese & jelly on his hot link sausage biscuits when I worked at Bojangles. That guy haunts me still.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Greetings fellow human male, I require sustenance. Kindly slop some 'food' onto my feeding vessel.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

What I don't get is ... it's a bagel. Just keep the halves separate and pile on as much cream cheese or whatever as you want! You don't have to put it back together and eat it whole!

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Just saw an episode of Seinfeld where Frank Costanza scoops his bagel, and I thought of this thread. It wasn’t called out as a joke, just something Jerry Stiller decided to do during the scene I guess. So it’s been a thing for at least 30 years.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Why does anyone care what people do with the most mid bread on earth?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mymla posted:

Why does anyone care what people do with the most mid bread on earth?

Idk about you but being fiercely passionate about how faceless strangers online take their extremely mid meals is the closest thing I've felt to emotion in years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not to create more space for the filing. Scooping the bagel is the only way to eat a bagel without consuming the evil carbs. There's no other way. It's definitely not possible to simply not order bread in the first place if you refuse to eat carbs, no siree

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just wrap a block of cream cheese in a lettuce leaf and eat it off the floor like a animal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Scooped bagel maximizes the amount of bagel skin per calorie. It's just math and science.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

steinrokkan posted:

It's not to create more space for the filing. Scooping the bagel is the only way to eat a bagel without consuming the evil carbs. There's no other way. It's definitely not possible to simply not order bread in the first place if you refuse to eat carbs, no siree

Oddly enough, I was with a friend last weekend who's been doing keto for a couple years. We had breakfast sandwiches, on some keto bagels he had - and those bagels were shockingly good. I wouldn't have known they were keto if he hadn't told me, and they still would have ranked among the best bagels I've had.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DekeThornton posted:

Scooping out bread, like a baguette or ciabatta to fit some extra fillings seems like a pretty standard thing that's been done over here in europe forever.

Not my bit of Europe bucko wtf?

Also bagels, scooped or no, are absolutely not worth the amount of fuss they get and they’re an absolutely dogshit form factor for sandwiches.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Correct way to eat a classic NYC bagel:

1. Throw it in the garbage
2. Find a Montréal-style bagel place
3. Eat the bagel
:hai:

I keep getting spam asking if I miss authentic NYC bagels, and all it does is make me research where I can find authentic Montreal bagels near me. (In the frozen section of a grocery store bakery about an hour away! :toot:)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
real bagel aficionados peel the outer rind off their bagel before eating it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Wtf is a Montreal bagel?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

dog nougat posted:

Wtf is a Montreal bagel?

bagel with a goatse hole

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I swear there was a sandwich chain that would serve the scooped out bread innards as something you could buy but all I can find when searching is scoop discourse.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Waste of Breath posted:

I swear there was a sandwich chain that would serve the scooped out bread innards as something you could buy but all I can find when searching is scoop discourse.

Jimmy Johns?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Waste of Breath posted:

erberts and gerbert's, a small sandwich chain in the Midwest, would scoop out the middle of the bread before making the sandwich and serve it to you with the sandwich

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/V8a696j.mp4

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This lady looks uncannily hitler-y with her choco-stache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
reminded me of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VFF8tVhMs