Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

For the PMs that reduce the number of workers needed, does the tooltip showing the net efficiency gain include wages saved due to fewer workers? It always shows as a loss to me unless I don’t have enough workers to start with, but in practice it seems like a no-brainer obvious benefit.

Unless labor is extremely short and the new input is cheap, they almost never directly increase profit per individual building. They do increase productivity per worker and allow you to increase your overall profit by building more buildings and stacking economies of scale bonuses. In addition, they almost always cut low paid workers. Once the workers are reemployed, they generally have better jobs with higher wages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Okay cool, looks like I read that right. I’ve only been flipping over when I run out of peasants in a state. I can’t tell if inter-state migration is really poor or if my gold/oil rushes are just sucking in all the migrants.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Have played a few games now -- how do folks think about what to tech when?

I've mostly been prioritizing Production and Society (with Military third, sometimes even entirely on spread).

I try to get a few good techs (not 100% sure what these are, but usually picking stuff that improves what I'm focusing on, e.g. Construction) from the tier, then swap to another tree so auto-spread can do its thing, then come back and finish up the tier and get the few good techs from the next tier; rinse and repeat.

Does auto-spread double-stack with my own research? Or if I'm researching I don't get auto-spread for what I'm researching?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Once I get homesteading and one of the suffrages I usually start building farms. Before that I do avoid them when I can though, since even tenant farmers and oligarchy give a solid boost to landowner power

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

alcaras posted:

I've mostly been prioritizing Production and Society (with Military third, sometimes even entirely on spread).

I try to get a few good techs (not 100% sure what these are, but usually picking stuff that improves what I'm focusing on, e.g. Construction) from the tier, then swap to another tree so auto-spread can do its thing, then come back and finish up the tier and get the few good techs from the next tier; rinse and repeat.

Does auto-spread double-stack with my own research? Or if I'm researching I don't get auto-spread for what I'm researching?

Spread does stack with innovation so you're never losing anything if you're researching something that is spreading to you (generally you will discover these techs very fast).

For what to tech when, it depends a lot on what you need. Countries like China actually don't need to go too hard into production techs since you have such a huge labour pool to draw on and can also get an absolutely massive construction sector, you can make up for lack of efficiency with raw volume (you will still need to do some production research to unlock new types of good but you don't need to be on the cutting edge). You also start with a very backwards military, though, and a lot of conflicts on your horizon so prioritizing military techs is a very good idea. On the other hand, some countries can go the entire game without getting in a single war, or can find themselves with powerful allies who will do most of the heavy lifting for them, and in those cases you only really need a good enough military to not get instantly rolled by the enemy, so military tech goes on the backburner. Pretty much everybody needs society tech so it's always a good investment.

Generally your approach of hopping between trees is fine - trying to jump deep into a tree tends to mean that you're devoting a ton of time to researching very few techs and unless that one tech is very important for your strategy (like nationalism for nation-forming or the malaria prevention techs for colonialism), you'd be better served by a wider set of techs from the other trees.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

alcaras posted:

Since 1.5 I'd say society techs are overall the best / most useful with production being a close second (and many production techs are literal must haves such as Atmospheric Engines and Railways)

Companies, MAPI, and reworks making education and healthcare better / more necessary really changed the balanced here.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009
With the new patch I decided to try playing as Wallachia again, this time things are going well. Decided to be a bit more aggressive than usual and secured Moldavia and Dobrudja through force of arms and am hoping to add Transylvania to the union through the Principalities event - one problem.

Austria who hates both of us equally is about to drop out of major power status due to losing a war of humiliation to Great Britain.
I discovered this when I hit the game over screen due to Transylvania annexing me with no diplomatic play or event. (The only Great power that currently dislikes me and Transylvania.)

Thankfully the game isn't an iron man so I could reload, but I'm kind of scratching my head.
I guess I need to hope I notice the event is available before the A.I. does?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Random thing but how often do you guys see AI Prussia form Germany in your games, assuming you are playing as someone who wouldn't interfere with them doing so? I feel like I've never seen it happen and it seems like Prussia seems to really struggle to even remain relevant as a military power compared to France or Austria.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

alcaras posted:

It definitely stacks, the only way to waste research is to ignore the lightbulb icon.

My logic isn't necessarily good, but it tends to be hunting for vital breakpoints doable within 5 years, then pretty cool breakpoints doable within 3, then filling out the back catalog to reduce the era malus. Tiebreak by whether I'm economically stable and going to eat territory over the next few years or just ate territory and need to let BBPs cool off and use that new manpower; keys are rail > anything that improves mine throughput > labor savers and fertilizer (low pop/peasantry) or improving clothing/glass/furniture/plantation throughput (high pop) in a yin phase and straight new unit tiers in a yang phase, with society techs being max priority other than maybe rail if it does something I immediately want with law choices/colonization/bureaucracy (I play a lot of East Asian tags, doubling bureaucracy is worth triple digits of new Government Administrations there) and otherwise filler.

E: Also, it's probably a good idea to shove through the entire coal to oil transition in one sequential run if you're doing that.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Random thing but how often do you guys see AI Prussia form Germany in your games, assuming you are playing as someone who wouldn't interfere with them doing so? I feel like I've never seen it happen and it seems like Prussia seems to really struggle to even remain relevant as a military power compared to France or Austria.

I last saw an actual Germany that I didn't build up and release-as-puppet in 1.3.x. I don't necessarily see North/South Federations lately, even, and when I do it tends to be the weird loophole that sufficiently widespread Austro-Hungarian revolutions can trigger it and then WP their revolt.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 5, 2023

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've rarely seen Prussia even win against Austria, they almost always get bodied by a superior Austrian military, which is certainly a sentence. It's also a bit of a crapshoot if Italy forms, but I've at least seen it happen a couple times.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Italy seems to form pretty consistently for me, probably because there are so many events that more or less force it to happen, but it seems like the AI for Prussia doesn't seem to know what it should be doing to push towards forming Germany.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Austria is certainly overturned compared to its historical counterpart. It’s hard for the game to accurately simulate its weaknesses, maybe if there are more game mechanics dealing with culture and nationalism.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Is countries like Sokoto impossible to play right now? People won't even come work for the construction sectors. I have had to use lowest taxation and highest government and miltary wages for years because no one comes over to work in the governmental buildings. Then I gave up because too much waiting with nothing happening.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Star posted:

Austria is certainly overturned compared to its historical counterpart. It’s hard for the game to accurately simulate its weaknesses, maybe if there are more game mechanics dealing with culture and nationalism.

Presumably there will be an Austria DLC at some point which gives them a ton of unique weaknesses.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Star posted:

I am playing Austria right now, haven't really played the game beyond few games after the release and one after the private construction.

It does feel too easy to switch to Racial Segregation and turn into Austria-Hungary in the first few years. OTOH, it looks to m like landowners are more entrenched than in any other game I've played, but maybe it's a change all around the board.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hryme posted:

Is countries like Sokoto impossible to play right now? People won't even come work for the construction sectors. I have had to use lowest taxation and highest government and miltary wages for years because no one comes over to work in the governmental buildings. Then I gave up because too much waiting with nothing happening.

The extremely low tech starts are very difficult now, yes. You have a lower MAPI than anyone else and your pops are too poorly educated to take any jobs. This makes it hard to construct your way into reforms.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ardryn posted:

I've rarely seen Prussia even win against Austria, they almost always get bodied by a superior Austrian military, which is certainly a sentence. It's also a bit of a crapshoot if Italy forms, but I've at least seen it happen a couple times.

In my most recent game I had the Vatican form Italy, so it was called the Kingdom of Heaven iirc? Meanwhile the Qing permanently lost southern China to the Heavenly Kingdom but also didn't ever collapse and form China. There was no Germany, and Mexico somehow managed to hang onto Colorado while losing the rest of the American states.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Star posted:

Racial discrimination and cultural secession mechanics are there, but their weights feel very undertuned. I bet there are some defines one could fiddle with to make them matter more, I might give that a go at some point.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Perhaps nationalism should cause the creation of various independence movements. Maybe in the future, there could be minority interest groups based on nationality?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Triple A posted:

Perhaps nationalism should cause the creation of various independence movements. Maybe in the future, there could be minority interest groups based on nationality?

It seems very weird that separatist rebels don't tie into the rest of the political system, they should really have their own IGs (or at least, Hungary should be special cased to have an IG within Austria)

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’m having a hard time making any progress in my wars against other great powers, this is from around 1890 and onwards. I don’t think I’m that behind on tech, the estimation of balance between forces on the fronts are often clearly in my favor but it still grinds to a stalemate most of the time. I’ve had four or five wars against both Austria and Russia and not had a single real breakthrough. At most I’ve occupied a single province or so, and then the front just freezes. Do I need more artillery? I’ve also seen that the enemy often use the best mobilization options so I guess I need to do that as well, but as I said the balance of forces has almost always been to my advantage.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Star posted:

I’m having a hard time making any progress in my wars against other great powers, this is from around 1890 and onwards. I don’t think I’m that behind on tech, the estimation of balance between forces on the fronts are often clearly in my favor but it still grinds to a stalemate most of the time. I’ve had four or five wars against both Austria and Russia and not had a single real breakthrough. At most I’ve occupied a single province or so, and then the front just freezes. Do I need more artillery? I’ve also seen that the enemy often use the best mobilization options so I guess I need to do that as well, but as I said the balance of forces has almost always been to my advantage.

The balance is a little goofy at the moment, but mid-late game equal tech wars are intended to be WW1 slogs. Naval invasion is still the most powerful tool to sidestep this.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
I’ve seen Germany form once in probably 4 games since 1.5. Both France and Austria seem ahistorically strong which I think is a large part of it. I pretty regularly see Austria-Hungary appear before 1860. The diploplay system also doesn’t really do great at simulating Prussia’s actual advantages (for example mobilization speed) because everyone can mobilize so long before actual battle that it doesn’t matter.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I've seen a few ngfs or germanies but yeah more fail Prussias. Big lol at the entire mobo button for mob+formation speed when nether really matter rn

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

given Prussia was an unsustainable trash fire that was only functional due to accounting fraud and good luck in subjugating other states with functional economies seeing fail Prussias is accurate

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Swing State Victim posted:

I’ve seen Germany form once in probably 4 games since 1.5. Both France and Austria seem ahistorically strong which I think is a large part of it. I pretty regularly see Austria-Hungary appear before 1860. The diploplay system also doesn’t really do great at simulating Prussia’s actual advantages (for example mobilization speed) because everyone can mobilize so long before actual battle that it doesn’t matter.

yeah im really surprised Paradox has austria-hungary as basically a good thing, when historically it was a forced compromise and started having issues in the 20th century.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fray posted:

Racial discrimination and cultural secession mechanics are there, but their weights feel very undertuned. I bet there are some defines one could fiddle with to make them matter more, I might give that a go at some point.

Similarly, cultures don’t gain obsessions often enough to matter. There was zero demand for coffee, tea, liquor, opium and tobacco in my last game.

It seems like right now cultures can only gain obsessions rarely from massive oversupply, but it should be the opposite—they gain obsessions easily and only lose them from being cut off for an extended period.

Not just the drugs either. Meat and fruit were historically very sought-after by all classes in affluent cultures. Affluent cultures should be loading up on demands and fueling social unrest.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, I wonder what his story is? :allears:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 6, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

DrSunshine posted:

im sure it's sick ha haa get it ieasgfbaiet aeitgnwrogn2rtgfnm02q31m0vwrsu0dnwepqfdsn

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I find it very funny that Single-Party States still have elections (yes I know this is a thing in real life, just surprised they bother to do it in-game). Oh what's that, another 100% landslide for the Workingmen's Party of Trade Unions, Yeoman Farmers, Intelligentsia and Petite Bourgeoisie (cursed)? Don't mind if I do, see you all again in 4 years.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Is subsidizing railways basically mandatory to run economy smoothly? Transportation doesn't seem very profitable even when inputs are cheap and transportation is expensive. But letting them run on their own ends up with them understaffed amidst transportation and infrastructure shortage everywhere.
Also canals, shouldn't they collect transit fees or something? Instead they're just a prestige buff and a shortcut with no discernable way of monetary profit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you're willing to go in and switch production to use rails individually in every state you can get the railroads to run at full capacity while still making money, but it's a pain in the rear end.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Although I failed becoming the healthiest man of Europe (and my own goal of throwing Austria out of the Balkans), this was a pretty fun run overall.

Some highlights include:
- Russia owning all of Tibet and having the Netherlands as their protectorate.
- Spain becoming democratic through a revolution but then invading and forcing Hanover and Schlesweig to become protectorates.
- Austria forming the SGF as their own dominion.
- The US having Mecklenburg as their protectorate and being insanely aggressive, with several wars against the UK, France and me.
- Quite stable power blocs, with me alternating between France, Prussia and UK as allies, and Austria-Hungary being BFFs with Russia throughout the whole time period, sometimes with the US as their third. One of my favorite wars was when me and Prussia were fighting Austria-Hungary and the US and really struggling to hold the line. Then the UK started a DP versus Russia and Austria-Hungary and swayed me to join. I then capitulated in the Austria-Hungary & US war, as they had only added war goals versus Prussia, and immediately started fighting Russia and Austria-Hungary on pretty much the same fronts. It was looking grim there as well, with Russia occupying the northern parts of Anatolia. Thankfully the UK did a naval invasion in Venice and pushed through the entirety of Austria-Hungary so they capitulated. We both then reversed Russia's occupations of me and drove all the way to Moscow, releasing Georgia and the Baltic Provinces in the peace deal. The latter was, for some reason, invaded by Venezuela during the final months of 1935.
- My own political situation was rather volatile, as you can see from the number of radicals. I never managed to raise the lower class SoL enough, despite level 5 social security, so they jumped on every radical movement there was. Sometimes I had to juggle two revolutionary movements at once, hoping to push through one law change fast enough so that I could then start the other and placate them both. This happily coincided a couple of times with me fighting Austria in grinding trench wars.

I'm really tempted to try a full Fascist run with some country, it's just so hard to get the right IGs boosted enough.

Star fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 6, 2023

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

DrSunshine posted:

This is peak paradox

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It looks like the Sikhs got a Transfer Subject for Finland on Russia, and because Finland is a PU (I'm guessing?) they share a HoS with the Sikh Empire now?

Maybe a little weird for PUs to remain PUs on Transfer Subject.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The Sikh Man of Europe.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

goddammit sunshine

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well I think my ottomans run is dead in the 1880s because I'm facing two impossible revolutions over wage subsidies, of all things. I kinda screwed up the economic boom where I at first didn't have enough construction and then overbuilt to the point the investment pool couldn't handle it, so I was forced to leave it off to avoid default for a while. Not sure what i could have done to get my investments up other than just Build More. And while I finally reached the point where I had more laborers than farmers, I was still having SoL below expectations problems- probably discrimination in there but also maybe aggressive literacy campaigns? It also bugs me that I can't figure out why preserving poor laws has so much support- landowners are only like 10% clout but something like 1/3 of my country is supporting it while unaligned, and I don't know what causes pops to support movements of their own accord

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pops support laws when they think that they will materially improve their living conditions, so I guess you had a lot of pops which thought they were underpaid?

E: never mind, this was to preserve poor laws, not to institute them in the first place, I have no idea then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

RabidWeasel posted:

Pops support laws when they think that they will materially improve their living conditions, so I guess you had a lot of pops which thought they were underpaid?

E: never mind, this was to preserve poor laws, not to institute them in the first place, I have no idea then

Yeah but that's not done by any sort of economic simulation, it's the same plus and minus weight as joining interest groups. It's just, afaict, completely invisible and not even on the wiki

E: also predicting which states will secede is kind of a clusterfuck, when I provoked a landowner rebellion earlier it kept switching back and forth between taking all of Anatolia and taking all of the Balkans

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 6, 2023