Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Space Kablooey posted:

POV: you're tied down to the tracks by the bad guy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ddiddles posted:

I dont understand how adam savage still has all his fingers/appendages. Watching him use power tools make me shout at my monitor (it is on)

There's one video where he almost loses a finger and spends the next dozen videos with a huge bandage on his hand.

And a thousand where he miraculously escapes injury.

Man is blessed by the gods.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The whole thing is just so stupid.

Like yeah, sure, the way people use these might be idiotic as well, but at least take the goddamn time to wire it up to a plug that won't electrocute you if you look at it funny.

It's probably less work than making one of these in the first place!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wilderthanmild posted:

From a few pages back but my favorite detail is how I immediately found a guy defending the death cable in the comments.

https://twitter.com/TLR_Eden/status/1731876566991241716
This man is incorrect, please don't plug a suicide cord into a pug.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Slugworth posted:

This man is incorrect, please don't plug a suicide cord into a pug.

You're not my supervisor

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've been watching Scavengers Reign and it dawned on me that it's a show through the lens of a workplace disaster. Like Alien

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Have you ever had a visual field test? I'd love to see your results.

lol nah I live in america cant be wasting money on doctors, need to save all that in case the kiddo needs it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Things could get spicy if you find one of these.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

....wait, why are they wiring a 220v wiring setup to a 120v outlet?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CommieGIR posted:

To make anything you plug into it twice as good.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Have you ever had a visual field test? I'd love to see your results.

I've got patches of missing vision in the centre of my left eye due to retinal swelling after a bike crash. I get the same thing where I mostly don't notice the gaps but if I concentrate on them (or close my right eye) they're usually the same colour as whatever is adjacent. I had an electroretinogram afterwards which measures the nerve responses, my right eye looks like a mountain, my left eye is a volcano. I used to crash the software on visual field tests because it tries to draw a circle around the edge of your vision but can't do that if you're missing bits in the middle. I haven't had that issue for about 10 years now, newer machines seem to handle it fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

The red one is a switch loop for a floor lamp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

I recently replaced my outlets and broke off the tabs on both sides, destroying the neutral connection. The $7 outlet tester I have paid for itself immediately. Check your work! Glad I checked each outlet as I went along and caught the mistake ASAP, doing it correctly on the rest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Ahhhh, ok.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Come to the burn ward in 20 mins if u want an rear end kicking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

Ahhhh, ok.

You can run wires from two breakers to one box to for a split receptacle though, when you absolutely have to run two high-draw appliances right next to each other.

This is the other end of the horseshoe to what Grover was doing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/DKOUvd4.mp4

tbn it does look fun as poo poo though

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Those look awesome.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

I don't want what bargain bin Jack Black is selling.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
drew toothpaste is a treasure. :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Private Speech posted:

The whole thing is just so stupid.

Like yeah, sure, the way people use these might be idiotic as well, but at least take the goddamn time to wire it up to a plug that won't electrocute you if you look at it funny.

It's probably less work than making one of these in the first place!

It is less work! To do it correctly you just cut off one end of some other plug put the mail side on, then use a regular extension cord

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

This is how I gently caress btw

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DKOUvd4.mp4

tbn it does look fun as poo poo though

I want to see what happens when they run out of hose.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Orvin posted:

I want to see what happens when they run out of hose.

The hose isn’t attached to the shore.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How about just for a little bit, though? Just to see

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So always turn off?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Well of course not. You need to turn it off to replace the fuse

Space Kablooey posted:

So always turn off?

Not never is not equivalent to always.
Not never is equivalent to sometimes
No never is not equivalent to never

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

How to Run from a Lathe Operator

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jonny Nox posted:

It’s on in the photo so if we turn it off for the rest of time, it will be sometimes, and thus correct

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jonny Nox posted:

What, never?
No, never!
What, never?
Well, hardly everrrrr!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
It happened again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPk0S6hsi-4

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Booo. It's only half blocked.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Platystemon posted:

Or they're making a multi-branch circuit so they can overload the neutral wire.

I rented a house where basement outsets were wired this way, except they used the ground wire as neutral and the white/black as hots.
I didn't know this of course until I put my home office down there, plugged my laptop into one outlet and something else on my desk into the other outlet. I got a real nasty shock one day and discovered over 200v between a USB port on my laptop and something else on my desk. Needless to say I threw a fit about this to the landlord.... who wired it himself and thought he did a good job!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Kind of happy with the most common state here being "two live phases at 240V to each other, ground, no neutral". Keeps people from playing weird games with the neutral.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Computer viking posted:

Kind of happy with the most common state here being "two live phases at 240V to each other, ground, no neutral". Keeps people from playing weird games with the neutral.

Nowhere (besides a weird part of philly) that i know of has two phase power. If you just have two wires with 240v between the them, one of them has to be ground referenced at the pole, in the breaker box, or something, right?
If you simply had two completely isolated, floating outputs from the transformer a ground wouldn't be useful since one wire faulting to ground would do nothing except make the situation more dangerous.

As annoying as the split-phase setup with two legs and a neutral can be, it's actually safer. It means that even though you have 240v between legs, you only ever have a 120v ground fault voltage; even if you touch a 240v appliance you should only get a 120v shock to ground (unless you screw up really good).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

chrisgt posted:

Nowhere (besides a weird part of philly) that i know of has two phase power. If you just have two wires with 240v between the them, one of them has to be ground referenced at the pole, in the breaker box, or something, right?
If you simply had two completely isolated, floating outputs from the transformer a ground wouldn't be useful since one wire faulting to ground would do nothing except make the situation more dangerous.

As annoying as the split-phase setup with two legs and a neutral can be, it's actually safer. It means that even though you have 240v between legs, you only ever have a 120v ground fault voltage; even if you touch a 240v appliance you should only get a 120v shock to ground (unless you screw up really good).

You can have split-phase without actually wiring the neutral to all the outlets.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

chrisgt posted:

I'm in Norway, most of the country is wired IT style where you only bring the live phases out to the consumer, who provides their own protective ground. The 240V phase-to-phase is the desired consumer equipment voltage, and the phases are indeed just 120V or so to ground.

I don't know how the transformer side is wired, but the phase-to-ground is supposed to be stable - that is, the DC component is 0V to ground. Presumably that means the transformer is referenced to its local ground, so the largest difference you can get between them is some sort of function of the ground conductivity?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I found a school book that I think is for the high school electrician course: here. It's made by some sort of county/school cooperative, so it's even free and open. Though in moon language, ofc.

"Sekundærsiden av energiverkets transformator" -> The secondary side of the energy company's transformer
"Gjennomslagsvern" -> Spark gap, literally "through-strike-ward"
"Lamper (tofase)" -> Lamps (two phase) [presumably as an example "normal" load]
"Trefasemotor (AC)" -> Three phase motor (AC)
PE is Protective Earth, and L1-3 are live phases.

my translation posted:

IT-net says something about how the transformer belonging to the energy company is designed. IT is short for "Insulated Terra". This means that the neutral point of the transformer is insulated from ground. To get an insulated neutral point, we use something known as a disneuter, or spark gap. This insulates the neutral point as long as the voltage is low, but if the voltage between phase and ground rises past 500V - e.g. under a lightning strike - the spark gap will short and connect to ground, and thus transform the IT net to a TT net - TT being short for Terra-Terra. This means the neutral point is grounded in the transformer, and so are other exposed parts.

(...)

IT networks can work while in ground fault. This is why they are the only network design allowed in certain zones in hospitals and as emergency power. In these networks one uses a ground fault indicator, while all other zones require a ground fault breaker.