Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

If they do a Season 2 I really hope we get to see what Akemi is doing but I get it might be hard with pacing. I loved her story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can see Taigen staying behind and them spending a while apart just so they can do some growing up before reuniting and deciding what they want to be (and whether that will involve each other) in the third season. Odds on a brief, probably-doomed romance for Mizu in London with a nice English person seem high.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be interesting to see what they do with another season of Fionna & Cake since they're now free of following up Adventure Time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

finished up blue eye samurai. it's good! if they set up mizu and taigen for romance i think that would big suck!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn't feel like Fionna and Cake needed a second season and without the Simon storyline to motivate it I'm not sure it will hit as hard for me, but I'm sure the crew will come up with something fun. I could definitely do with seeing more of "adult adventure time".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh come now, we all know Taigen will have some sort of sexual awakening because it's totally heteronormative to pop a chubby while wrestling around with your male friends after they straddle you. Very straight stuff, that. Yes, she's a woman but he doesn't know that! He just needs to come across another badass swordmaster to roll around with.

You all know this to be true.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Different culture, the only way he'd have a breakdown is if he wanted a dude to gently caress him. loving a dude is whatever, taking cock is submissive.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But we already know Taigen's a bottom! :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Four episodes into BES and I'm thinking we've found an equal to Arcane for 2023.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's plenty of grist for the mill in fiona and cake. I'm sure the second season will be at least mostly as good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that Taigen has come closer than anyone else so far to understanding and appreciating Mizu on her level (I'm not including Ringo here because their relationship feels a bit different), although it of course remains to be seen whether she'll end up meeting another kindred spirit in London.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nerdietalk posted:

My favorite thing about Fionna and Cake was just the journey of three morons touristing through fun settings. I'm always done for more of that, but I feel like I would have preferred a twenty episode season to give that concept breathing room. With all the arcs wrapped up, hard to feel like they wouldn't be going backward.

Given how that kinda describes a lot of Adventure Time, I feel like the trick is they're actually just making more Adventure Time.

Something something the Ice King wrote enough fanfic he actually started to get pretty good at it. If I'm spoiling the series then don't tell me because I haven't seen it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

i'd like to see them actually try and make a season about fionna and cake in their world cos s1 wasn't really that. it was a multiverse follow up to adventure time starring the whiniest man alive.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was kinda bummed that Kumail Nanjiani didn't play Prismo in F&C. Do we know what that's about?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Data Graham posted:

I was kinda bummed that Kumail Nanjiani didn't play Prismo in F&C. Do we know what that's about?

he tweeted about it saying it was a miscommunication with his management cos they didn't inform him that he'd been asked to reprise the role, said he would have if he knew

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

roomtone posted:

i'd like to see them actually try and make a season about fionna and cake in their world cos s1 wasn't really that. it was a multiverse follow up to adventure time starring the whiniest man alive.

I'm still in my first AT watch through (mid Islands atm, I'm not gonna gush about it now but I really love how thos show has "grown up" with its target audience) but your post got me thinking. I haven't watched regular TV in years; Is it still common for non-streaming services to have 26+ episode seasons in cartoons?

At first I found the 52 episode seasons, 5 and 6, daunting prospects but it really allowed for a ton of world building that I feel like would be rare if not impossible in this '10 episode binge season' time. So many little flavor episodes that we'd never see.

Am I overthinking this? Does F&C have any low stakes episodes or is it strictly a serialized plot?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah, F&C is pretty much a modern-style serialized linear story where continuity is pretty important. There's a bit of "adventure of the week" to some of them but they definitely fall in a sequence and can't really be skipped.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m all for more AT related content but F&C’s story was wrapped up pretty neatly in the previous series (and Simon’s definitely was) so it might have been better if they chose to focus on a different pair. But we’ll see how it goes I guess

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Nah, F&C is pretty much a modern-style serialized linear story where continuity is pretty important. There's a bit of "adventure of the week" to some of them but they definitely fall in a sequence and can't really be skipped.

I figured it'd be this. I'm still really looking forward to it, though!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I figured it'd be this. I'm still really looking forward to it, though!

The show’s really good in my opinion, definitely give it a shot after you finish AT and Distant Lands

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Larryb posted:

The show’s really good in my opinion, definitely give it a shot after you finish AT and Distant Lands

For sure! I'm all in on whatever takes place in this setting, I can't believe I missed out for like 12 years.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Madurai posted:

Four episodes into BES and I'm thinking we've found an equal to Arcane for 2023.

I'd actually say that episodes 5 and 6 are the cinematographic highpoint of the series, so have fun with those!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I thought Islands was really good especially in the back half, I wasn't sure if I wanted to see them explore stuff with the humans but it might be my favorite section of Adventure Time yet. The Founders' Song is gonna be stuck in my head for a while.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I love Islands. The next miniseries they do is pretty good but doesn't have as hard an emotional hit. Some people like it better though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It'd have to take a lot to top Islands for me, but that isn't a bad thing.

The first episode of Elements was distilled :stare: though, I had no idea any of this was a thing and it was cool to go into blind

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I kinda love how unconcerned it is with anything making sense, even while callbacks and continuity and internal consistency are so important. Ok sure, candy is an element. And slime, why not

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Ok sure, candy is an element. And slime, why not

Yeah it's different, I'll give them that. I wonder if they decided on this just going off what princesses would be cool to see using powers. Some alternate universe where one of the core elements is hot dogs. Or lumps.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something kind of wild to think about is how after a certain point the show isn't following the original Finn and Jake and they've been replaced by time duplicates. Finn becomes the Finn sword and eventually Fern while Jake is just gone since he's the new Prismo host.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What in the absolute gently caress is this drat show?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

Something kind of wild to think about is how after a certain point the show isn't following the original Finn and Jake and they've been replaced by time duplicates. Finn becomes the Finn sword and eventually Fern while Jake is just gone since he's the new Prismo host.

Wait that was the original Jake? I must have lost track in that episode, drat.

Also Finn's experienced at least two huge time dilutions including living a full life to death from old age

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No it's the other one that's the time clone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watched two episodes of Scavengers Reign, feels like good ol’ 60’s and 70’s sci-fi, with the aesthetics of Moebius mixed in

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, it really feels like some old school sci fi, back when they weren't afraid to get loving weird.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very excited for more Fionna and Cake. Also to watch Hilda season 3 which dropped today!!!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just thinking about how much I appreciate that BES didn't fall into that fakey feminism trap of "this woman is strong because she does traditionally masculine things and eschews the traditionally feminine." There's power and weakness given to each in equal measure and Mizu isn't ever portrayed as a hero because she's Not Like Other Girls! Hell, all of Ringo's best features come from traditionally feminine skills and behaviors. It's what Mizu values about him.

And I can't tell you how happy it made me that Seki didn't correct the idea that he was Akemi's mother, but was very proud of it. :3:

(And note I use "traditionally" in front of everything because while saying something like make-up is gendered is, in and of itself dumb as hell, devaluing the skill and artistry of make-up still carries a misogynistic edge.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Very excited for more Fionna and Cake. Also to watch Hilda season 3 which dropped today!!!

Speaking of the latter, anybody get a chance to check this out in full yet? If so, how is it (especially as a finale to the series as a whole)?

Personally I feel like the series could have ended just fine after the movie but I’m happy to get a bit more regardless

Edit: Just finished Hilda, while the season could have used a bit more time to fully flesh out the new plot points they introduced it still works well enough (also the finale is over an hour long which helps a bit)

I also kind of like Astrid and the slight redesigns for the main cast

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 8, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm a little worried about series 2 of F&C if only because I didn't really enjoy the end of F&C even if I absolutely loved the rest

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The fandom argues about this but I choose to believe he still counts as the original since the whole thing was a paradox. People also argue that farm world Finn is the original Finn because following the continuity, Finn wished for magic not to exist. Jake undid most of that but it leaves behind the farm world reality which is where the Finn that made that wish was, who we had been following since the start of the show.

The whole thing starts to get a bit Book of the New Sun after a while....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished my watch through of Adventure Time and while the finale is still good it feels kind of rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I recently finished the Elemental arc; while I don't think it was nearly as strong as Islands, it was really good in its own ways. The whole thing was really unnerving, especially when the story goes back to Candy Kingdom. "Let Me Call You Sweetheart", jeez.