Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Klyith posted:

Putting a video game up on Steam or a console store, it's the opposite -- because in video games the stores have way more power.

It's also a lot easier to have a local copy of your game because, by definition, you kinda have to download it to run it.* Steam in particular is also really good about making it pretty pain free to backup the install. If you want to archive your entire Steam library onto external HDs that's a thing you can do.

Take this with a grain of salt because it's hazy memories of poo poo they were saying when the non-Steam games were starting to take off on there (so like ca. 2007 or so) and they were really trying to get people to buy in on digital sales, but I do remember them putting out a statement to the effect that if they ever went under they would make sure everyone could download their poo poo and have a copy of their games. Given that it's literally three clicks to create a backup of your game files in Steam, there seems to on some level at least be a desire to give people that kind of access and control.

*Now the big caveat to all this is how most modern games are to one extent or another reliant on an internet connection. GAAS bullshit on the one end being totally unplayable with just the local client, and on the other even solo single player titles frequently requiring you to phone in to a server to authenticate. DRM is a cancer, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Take this with a grain of salt because it's hazy memories of poo poo they were saying when the non-Steam games were starting to take off on there (so like ca. 2007 or so) and they were really trying to get people to buy in on digital sales, but I do remember them putting out a statement to the effect that if they ever went under they would make sure everyone could download their poo poo and have a copy of their games. Given that it's literally three clicks to create a backup of your game files in Steam, there seems to on some level at least be a desire to give people that kind of access and control.

they did say that, but I've always sort of wondered how they would pull it off in practice

like, if Valve is approaching going under, telling people to begin work on this failsafe, or even if you already had the failsafe designed and you just need to roll it out to production, is going to carry the implication that "whoah Valve is about to go under!" which undermines confidence in the company and could make things worse, sentiment-wise

but if you don't develop/deploy this feature before the company sinks, how are you going to do it after? who is going to want to work on it, or who is going to retain access to Steam at a level that would allow them to roll out such a patch, if the company has already gone under? how are you going to do post-patch support for when it inevitably doesn't work for some arcane combination of game?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

And don't forget that Steam is Gabe but one day it won't be. If it ends up owned by literally any other corporation we'll see the enshitification process go full steam ahead (pun intended).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

they did say that, but I've always sort of wondered how they would pull it off in practice

like, if Valve is approaching going under, telling people to begin work on this failsafe, or even if you already had the failsafe designed and you just need to roll it out to production, is going to carry the implication that "whoah Valve is about to go under!" which undermines confidence in the company and could make things worse, sentiment-wise

but if you don't develop/deploy this feature before the company sinks, how are you going to do it after? who is going to want to work on it, or who is going to retain access to Steam at a level that would allow them to roll out such a patch, if the company has already gone under? how are you going to do post-patch support for when it inevitably doesn't work for some arcane combination of game?

Well, post-patch support is out the window of course. I always assumed it would be them crippling the Steam DRM (which is a laughably weak fig leaf at the best of times) and telling you to download a backup.

That said, this was all like 15 years ago so who knows how their system was set up back then vs. how it is now. This is all complicated by the fact that publishers today are a lot more savvy about digital downloads than they were back then. In some kind of Valve apocalypse I could totally see some poo poo I bought in 2008 that hasn't had a patch issued since Obama's first term working fine but something I bought last year flipping out because it's lacking the right hook to ask Activision for permission to launch the game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

And don't forget that Steam is Gabe but one day it won't be. If it ends up owned by literally any other corporation we'll see the enshitification process go full steam ahead (pun intended).

The simple reality is that we are already in a post-ownership world when it comes to gaming. Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks, and I understand and respect the people who rage about how you are only buying a limited licensing agreement.

But at the end of the day we're kind of in waters where if you REALLY want to have full control over your gaming purchases, you either stick with retro stuff and smaller direct-release indies or just accept that you're only renting your copy of Call of Warzone 2026 Master Chief Edition.

For me it's made somewhat more palatable by the fact that I rarely want to go back and re-play a game I've already had my fill of. If Valve goes under and I lose access to the copy of Braid or Mount and Blade 1 that I haven't launched in over a decade, well, I'll be annoyed but it's not really going to gently caress up my life too bad.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They said that 15 years ago to reassure people about a new platform. Now, there's no way you'd get to play your games locally forever.

Regardless, Steam isn't going anywhere. Someone will buy it when gaben retires. It's way too valuable.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't that sorta-kinda implemented in the Offline mode in Steam though?

And as far as post-patch support for Arcane combinations of game, isn't that already an issue with several older games that just don't work with modern systems? At the end of the day, I think it'll just be a situation where either the fans do end of life support for the game in question, or we just accept that we "only" kept, say, 70% of our game libraries rather than 0%.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
How appropriate that people's PSN accounts have been getting randomly banned recently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think gog actually does let you do full "technically I completely own this" mode on your games: you can download an installer for a game that never "phones home", and the installer will run without need for a log-in, and as long as you have the installer, it'll play. A gog version of a game is practically "pre-cracked", patches aside. I've bought a couple of games on gog specifically for this reason.

of course, that does mean that a lot of games do NOT make it onto their platform, though they're getting pretty good at snagging contemporary releases outside of AAA titles

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I noticed a new type of ad on YouTube via my TV last night - it has a yellow circle and timer and just plays the ads without a skip right in the middle of a video. I think I was still getting the regular format too with the timer and maybe an option to skip.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think gog actually does let you do full "technically I completely own this" mode on your games: you can download an installer for a game that never "phones home", and the installer will run without need for a log-in, and as long as you have the installer, it'll play. A gog version of a game is practically "pre-cracked", patches aside. I've bought a couple of games on gog specifically for this reason.

of course, that does mean that a lot of games do NOT make it onto their platform, though they're getting pretty good at snagging contemporary releases outside of AAA titles

Their whole pitch when they launched GOG was "No DRM", and even while pushing the GOG Galaxy launcher everything I've bought on there does still have the option of downloading a standalone installer. I don't think you even need Galaxy running to launch any games installed with it either.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GOG is the best when it comes to digital distribution of games, but Steam has the massive sales each year season.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah there was a time when I was like "hmmm maybe I should invest more in filling out my GOG library for long-term resiliency" but on the other hand I'm also like "but what if I buy a Steam Deck soon?"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah there was a time when I was like "hmmm maybe I should invest more in filling out my GOG library for long-term resiliency" but on the other hand I'm also like "but what if I buy a Steam Deck soon?"

As someone who got a Deck a few months ago, this is a real thing.

There are ways to get GoG games running on the deck, though. Really the only store that you're hard locked out of is XBGP,, unless you're willing to install Windows on your Deck. Which, don't.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah installing non steam games on deck is pretty easy these days (hell even switch games open and play like you bought it off steam)

Most games just aren't buy and never update though. Notch kinda broke the gaming world and turned it into "everything is early access forever, and going to 1.0 = abandoned" mindset. Plus, most games going to being a "service" makes me care about downloading it so I have a copy "forever in case the store goes down" pretty pointless.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's also a lot easier to have a local copy of your game because, by definition, you kinda have to download it to run it.* Steam in particular is also really good about making it pretty pain free to backup the install. If you want to archive your entire Steam library onto external HDs that's a thing you can do.

Sure, but most game stores go one further and keep the games on their servers, available to re-download for people who bought them, even if the publisher pulls out. I guess Sony pulled PT, but have they done that with any games that were actually purchased for money?

gradenko_2000 posted:

The games that are on GOG with no DRM will almost certianly work extremely well on Linux. So with a steam deck you'd just copy the game over, then in the steam UI add a non-steam game, point it at the exe, and tell it to use proton in compatibility options.

At this point the only games that don't do well in Linux via proton are all online games with heavy anti-cheat.

edit:

Harminoff posted:

Most games just aren't buy and never update though.

Yeah this is kinda an issue, but even this is eminently solvable. There are linux projects (Lutris, Heroic Games Launcher) that interface with GOG and EGS and can install and update stuff for you.

Bit more fiddle on the Steam Deck since you'd have to switch out to desktop mode and launch different software to update your game. But for single-player stuff you don't have to constantly update.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 5, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Harminoff posted:

Most games just aren't buy and never update though. Notch kinda broke the gaming world and turned it into "everything is early access forever, and going to 1.0 = abandoned" mindset. Plus, most games going to being a "service" makes me care about downloading it so I have a copy "forever in case the store goes down" pretty pointless.

This is why Terraria will always be the best game ever made. $9 ($3 on sale) for a game that was amazing on release and got 11+ years of MASSIVE completely free updates? Incredible. I've bought at least a dozen copies because I gift it to everyone I know.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is why Terraria will always be the best game ever made. $9 ($3 on sale) for a game that was amazing on release and got 11+ years of MASSIVE completely free updates? Incredible. I've bought at least a dozen copies because I gift it to everyone I know.

Stardew also. It's only a few years younger than Terraria and Concerned Ape is still pushing out gameplay updates. After dealing with caring developers like Re-Digit and Concerned Ape it's extremely difficult to go back to trusting triple-A developers that nickel and dime.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who got a Deck a few months ago, this is a real thing.

I have not bought a game on a non-steam platform (minus switch games) since I got my deck.

Inept posted:

They said that 15 years ago to reassure people about a new platform. Now, there's no way you'd get to play your games locally forever.

Regardless, Steam isn't going anywhere. Someone will buy it when gaben retires. It's way too valuable.

With any luck, no one will buy Valve because Gabe hopefully has the foresight to name a successor who shares his vision and will carry on as planned

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Beve Stuscemi posted:

With any luck, no one will buy Valve because Gabe hopefully has the foresight to name a successor who shares his vision and will carry on as planned

Historically this has always worked out and never caused the opposite of what the old guy intended

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

they have tried to stretch this definition quite a bit, a while ago they launched the hitman reboot trilogy on GOG even though those games are severely crippled in offline mode

they're technically playable offline but you really wouldn't want to, and they ended up pulling the games from sale after backlash

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Succession: for nerds

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's almost a moot point because for the games that valve has the power to release a crack for, there's already readily available open source steam emulators which achieve the same thing

the emulators don't work with games that layer stronger DRM on top, but valve wouldn't be able to unilaterally remove that DRM either

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VostokProgram posted:

Historically this has always worked out and never caused the opposite of what the old guy intended

Yeah they should probably just sell it to a private equity firm i guess :iiam:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

New youtube fuckery? Happened on PC as well and I haven't changed any settings

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i got that change a while ago

in my experience the homepage was never useful with history turned off, it just didn't have enough to work with and showed a random selection of ancient videos from my subscriptions, so getting rid of it was no great loss

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steve unloads on an Intel presentation that tries to imply AMD is selling snake oil, while outside Intel's offices. Also while wandering around San Francisco Chinatown for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUT4d5IVY0A

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
lol at intel benchmarking automatic MP3 to MIDI conversion

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

Steve unloads on an Intel presentation that tries to imply AMD is selling snake oil, while outside Intel's offices. Also while wandering around San Francisco Chinatown for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUT4d5IVY0A

I love him

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Steve on the street!

He should interview passers bys about their cpu impressions (I kid) (non pigeons)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Steve on the street!

Gamers Nexus in the sheets. :colbert:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

"What are your thoughts on the 14th generation Intel refresh?"

*soothing pigeon noises*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lol at intel benchmarking automatic MP3 to MIDI conversion

lol "This thing that a PII-300 could do really fast? We can do it REALLY fast."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the age tiering on the Intel recommended processors is a thing of beauty

how is babby Celeron formed

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I don't normally feel sorry for marketing people, but this has the feel of some executive being pissed off about... something. They aren't able to identify what that is exactly but demands marketing fix it

Also, the MP3 to MIDI thing in Ableton is about converting the harmony, melody, and drum tracks from recorded material and turning it into midi data which you could use to adjust instrumentation and sounds, etc. MIDI isn't all playing grabbag.mid on your Ultrasound. Not sure how common of a use case it is, and it really only works well with individual tracks and not trying to steal from a produced song, but there it is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

the age tiering on the Intel recommended processors is a thing of beauty

how is babby Celeron formed

Pure insanity. I like the implication that people age into esports as well

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

pyrotek posted:

I don't normally feel sorry for marketing people, but this has the feel of some executive being pissed off about... something. They aren't able to identify what that is exactly but demands marketing fix it

Also, the MP3 to MIDI thing in Ableton is about converting the harmony, melody, and drum tracks from recorded material and turning it into midi data which you could use to adjust instrumentation and sounds, etc. MIDI isn't all playing grabbag.mid on your Ultrasound. Not sure how common of a use case it is, and it really only works well with individual tracks and not trying to steal from a produced song, but there it is

That’s what I was gonna say; a PII-300 would never be able to do that in anything close to realtime…

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

is audio-to-midi actually useful nowadays, i just remember it being used to make awful sounding shitposts years ago

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

lol "This thing that a PII-300 could do really fast? We can do it REALLY fast."

That's midi to wave, this is audio to midi, which I guess Ableton has an intel optimized path for. You know that thing we all do for hours everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well they deleted it lmao