Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Safe Word posted:

watch your hands the stove is HOT

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1732253535440408756

career OPS+ of 84 still basically a 20% improvement over the guy who started like 70% of our games last year and he is only going to be our backup so.... yay I guess

This means Maldy won't be back even as a backup so it's a great signing

The best signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eric the Mauve posted:

April 18: Ohtani shocks the world by signing with the Pirates, the only team that never leaked that they'd met with him, because they hadn't. Deal was hurriedly agreed over a zoom call and is for 1 year/$5M

Should have signed with Oakland, they'd throw in a slightly used Vegas Golden Knights hat and a voucher for Penn & Teller tickets.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

He should be on the Royals just to pair with Rusty Kuntz

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
This Mariners stuff is so depressing. Like, why should I care about this team winning if they don't even care? It makes me not want to follow baseball news at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can take some years off or follow another team or just follow causally

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He should be on the Royals just to pair with Rusty Kuntz

Dick Fitts n Rusty Kuntz you say

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/talkinbaseball_/status/1732388168391905356?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Never forget

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

This Mariners stuff is so depressing. Like, why should I care about this team winning if they don't even care? It makes me not want to follow baseball news at all.

M's CEO Howard Lincoln one drat year after they won 116 drat games posted:

“The goal of the Mariners is not to win a World Series. It is to field a competitive team year after year, to put itself in a position to win a World Series and hope at some point that happens.”

They didn't make the playoffs for 20 years. Whoops.

I had a glimmer of hope when Nintendo sold the team, but meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I can't switch teams, so I just hope that they stumble and or bumble into a title before I die and try to get as much peripheral enjoyment out of the sport as possible along the way.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 6, 2023

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tony Phillips posted:

They didn't make the playoffs for 20 years. Whoops.

I had a glimmer of hope when Nintendo sold the team, but meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I can't switch teams, so I just hope that they stumble and or bumble into a title before I die and try to get as much peripheral enjoyment out of the sport along the way.

I graduated from WWU in Dec. 2008 and Howard Lincoln was the keynote speaker. Awwwkwaaaaarrrrd

yeah I may just move back to a more casual fandom, as I did in all those dark years. I don't have much hope we'll get a high like 2022 again anytime soon. they finally grew a contention window and they sold it for spare parts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1732406976246599965?t=ZwgZkqwezEzbZAMwu3tVJA&s=19

This is not my first choice on who to spend reliever money on, but we *do* definitely need someone so...shrug?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Honestly for me the whole Judge pursuit got totally memory holed when the clown show that was the Correa free agency happened.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s terrible . Like should not be in the league bad

(Craig)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1732407284616008136

Seems like the Yankees are willing to give up King now?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

It is very funny how whiney all the baseball writers are about this. By all accounts he's probably going to decide like this week. In the end it won't have dragged out particularly long. But right now they're all sitting in the same weird hotel resort with nothing to say and they are absolutely melting down about it.

bawfuls posted:

If Ohtani genuinely considers the very bland comments Dave Roberts made (yes we met a few days ago, I thought it went well, he's amazing, he's his own man it's up to him) to be a disqualifying leak, then lol ok I guess. I'd hardly consider that a leak or novel information on negotiations. Is he really that much of a diva/narcissist? I didn't think so, but maybe we'll find out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

euphronius posted:

He’s terrible . Like should not be in the league bad

(Craig)

I don't have super strong feelings on this, unless they specifically want him to close, in which case lol. lmao. If he's just here to shore up the back of the bullpen so DL Hall or Wells can close, then I'm much more okay with it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He can’t be brought in the middle of innings with runners on or anything so idk .

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

are you confused?

I don’t think his preference is “bad for the sport.”

I also don’t think what Dave said yesterday is likely an issue for Ohtani’s stated preferences about this process. It’s being interpreted as such by the rabid group of writers who are mad about the whole thing.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
It sure seems like the deal is basically done pending medicals.

https://twitter.com/jackcurryyes/status/1732410414074630253?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

shirts and skins posted:

I graduated from WWU in Dec. 2008 and Howard Lincoln was the keynote speaker. Awwwkwaaaaarrrrd

yeah I may just move back to a more casual fandom, as I did in all those dark years. I don't have much hope we'll get a high like 2022 again anytime soon. they finally grew a contention window and they sold it for spare parts.

If you want me to bring you back, they sold a declining 3B and a 4th OF with some potential.

Unless you were banking on Teoscar coming back and suddenly being 25-30% better they haven't really kneecapped anything yet.

We'll see how the rest of winter plays out but the 2024 Mariners' success was not doomed by moving on from those 3 guys.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

bawfuls posted:

are you confused?

I don’t think his preference is “bad for the sport.”

I also don’t think what Dave said yesterday is likely an issue for Ohtani’s stated preferences about this process. It’s being interpreted as such by the rabid group of writers who are mad about the whole thing.

it's probably less confusion and more the part where you insinuate Ohtani is a diva if Roberts talking is a deal breaker then say the writers are whiny because Ohtani is not being open about this process hth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wonder if there would be an issue with the Yankees giving Soto a contract that would be more than what Judge is making.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Artix posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1732406976246599965?t=ZwgZkqwezEzbZAMwu3tVJA&s=19

This is not my first choice on who to spend reliever money on, but we *do* definitely need someone so...shrug?

Dirty Craig on a bird team… the Dirty Bird is born again

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you want me to bring you back, they sold a declining 3B and a 4th OF with some potential.

Unless you were banking on Teoscar coming back and suddenly being 25-30% better they haven't really kneecapped anything yet.

We'll see how the rest of winter plays out but the 2024 Mariners' success was not doomed by moving on from those 3 guys.

it's not really the substantive moves that are bothering me, it's that the reasoning from them and the noise coming from the front office is incredibly ominous. it sounds an awful lot like personnel decisions are being driven by ownership's desire to shrink the payroll, not by a willingness to build an actual championship window. I don't think the cavalry is coming here.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I honestly agree fully on Eugenio and Kelenic. But I have a hard time convincing myself that they'll do much of anything with whatever money they saved. It's pretty hard to get optimistic about the M's most of the time and the recentish "aiming for .540" poo poo is just disheartening. Go for it, you assholes.

I kinda wonder if they had won a title in 2001 if I would have cashed out on paying attention to baseball in the 20 years that followed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Sounds like the Soto deal is getting done today

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gabagool posted:

Dumbass sports journos trying to bilk free OT out of Shohei to “elevate baseball.” He’s off the clock!

Hell hath no fury like a journalist whose job is made slightly more difficult.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

it's probably less confusion and more the part where you insinuate Ohtani is a diva if Roberts talking is a deal breaker then say the writers are whiny because Ohtani is not being open about this process hth
Did you see the kind of poo poo Buster was wishing for in his column? The writers want a blow-by-blow, they want video content, they want to interview Ohtani personally after each meeting, they want a giant circus and Ohtani is right to not want that. Dave said some bland typical-no-info stuff and they all freaked out because they're bouncing off the walls of some hotel in Nashville starved for content.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if there would be an issue with the Yankees giving Soto a contract that would be more than what Judge is making.

Maybe if Judge signed at a discount to stay but he tested the market and got pretty close to the top of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

, they want a giant circus

And then they want to milk even more columns out of complaining about the circus!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Artix posted:

He is complete loving misery in every way. Enjoy!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Craig is one of the only players i remember where the local tv guys would openly poo poo on him

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Craig is one of the only players i remember where the local tv guys would openly poo poo on him

Someone find the Edwin Encarnacion clip when he was on the Reds and the local crew were making GBS threads on him for being lazy and then he smoked a dinger

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2023

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I haven't been paying much attention to offseason rumors, or Ohtani stuff, but this article, much like the NY Post tweet from the last page, is just embarrassing. More about a baseball writer being annoyed with Ohtani not making some sort of grand spectacle about his free agency.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39049998/shohei-ohtani-secret-free-agency-mlb-dodgers-blue-jays

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022
Can't think of the last time all the public speculation on a trade was solely sourced to one team but I don't think I've seen a Friars leak on the Soto talk

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

euphronius posted:

Costas should call every game he plays in

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DefensiveLockout posted:

Can't think of the last time all the public speculation on a trade was solely sourced to one team but I don't think I've seen a Friars leak on the Soto talk

Who do you think was leaking the Jays interest to drive up the price for the Yankees?

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022
Boras

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I can understand him being privately, for self-interested reasons, being disappointed that Ohtani has decided to play his free agency like this. I get that he looks over at the modern NBA and wishes his beat could be that interesting, but I can't believe he thought he could sit down and write a "here's why you should care" column about it and think it would be well-received by anyone.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Artix posted:

He should be paying teams for the privilege to play pro ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Olney is also annoyed that Ohtani doesn't want to sign at a discount to Be A Yankee