Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just wanna say I really like that beholder balloon in the charlatan picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Yusin posted:

A short adventure remake of the classic.

Looking back, this intrigues me. It’s supposed to be a one session thing, that even has classic tournament scoring for those who want to try it that way.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Oh that's what that brad neely video was about? How did tournament style dnd work??

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ominous Jazz posted:

Oh that's what that brad neely video was about? How did tournament style dnd work??

I don’t really know, it was before my time, I am guessing it’s based on the objectives you accomplished and treasures you acquire in a set time.

Someone went over the original version of Tsojcanth in Fatal and Friends.
https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/bitchtits-mcgee/the-lost-caverns-of-tsojconth-76-tournament-edition/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tournament play is a set party with prerolled characters all going through the same, essentially linear, dungeon in a set time, like two hours. The team gets points for number of rooms cleared and number of survivors. Bonus points are awarded for specific actions, like using Invisibility to get past the ogre in room 6 or finding the secret door in room 8, and so on.

The top scorers move to the next round, where new random parties are formed and a new dungeon is presented. Top scorer overall wins.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I had a funny moment in my current tabletop group last night (spoiler tags because I know this is a published adventure, don't know which one, don't tell me)

Playing a rogue for the first time, thri-kreen, being very cautious.

We're moving through an underground temple and I find a secret door. Check for traps, roll a natural one, don't find any traps. Open the door, nothing goes off. Inside is a dark altar and three scrolls on it. I check for traps. Another natural one, no traps found. Confidently say there are no traps, move forward to the altar. Rest of the group follows behind me into the room. Since I checked for traps and didn't find any, I confidently grab a scroll from the altar.

DM says "roll for initiative"

I roll a 21, so I go first

I ask what's happening and DM says "nothing yet but your spider sense is tingling." I ask if I can make it back out of the room. He says do an acrobatics check. I roll and it's 25 or so and so I literally backflip over everyone else's heads out of the room.

On initiative 20, before anyone else in the party can act, the door to the room snaps closed and the room starts filling with boiling water, everyone else in the party starts taking damage, I'm just out in the hallway with my thri-kreen telepathy pulling a C-3P0 at the trash compactor, "hey, you guys ok in there? anything I can do to help?"

Eventually I find the door control and open it at which point
I point out that I saved the party

I have never felt more theifly

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

That's pretty awesome, drat. The rogue class fantasy idealised.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have never felt more theifly
Brilliant. :allears:

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Rythian posted:

That's pretty awesome, drat. The rogue class fantasy idealised.
Going in alone, grabbing the loot first, and showing off while the entire rest of the party just has to watch and wait? Absolutely! (I kid.)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i'm a new dm and i'm struggling with a puzzle.

To set it up there's a tinkerer in this halfling town. they have a lab that they use to make experiments and they're being targeted for assassination by the halfling village preservation society basically Hot Fuzz, except they're mad about a lack of "traditional" dnd values (not enough elfs and dwarfs, too many tieflings and dragonborn) and this tinkerer's lab doesn't fit the aesthetic. The Tinkerer has a hidden part of their lab where they're doing their REAL work, research into mimics, changelings, and warforged. to that end they have captured a mimic specimen and have contained in a room sized flask. when the players bust in, they'll see that there are three bodies in the flask, a dead would be assassin, and two identical members of the rival adventure party they've encountered bleeding out and babbling. The flask is filling with a noxious smoke, a failsafe in case anything went wrong, and if it weren't for the rival adventurer stuck in the self sealing door then the gas buildup would smother whatever's inside the flask. There's also a TWIN of the mimicked adventurer frantically trying to save their brother.

I'm basically thinking of having it be a skill challenge.

• calm the rival adventurer down enough to that they don't accidentally seal the flask and get everyone in there dead
  • go through the tinkerer's notes to neutralize the smoke
  • figure out which one is the mimic
  • turn the lights back on (smoke)

But I feel like it's missing an existential threat. Like they only have a few rounds before the smoke smothers everyone OUTSIDE of the flask so if it breaks bad enough they may have to trolley problem it. also, the mimic is obviously the twin on the outside of the flask.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My brain keeps repeating “benzoberranzan” at me. Welp, cya

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

General Battuta posted:

ah, yes... in the Darkunder

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

Thanks, stealing this for my modern-day game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Any thoughts on the Monster Manual vs the Young Adventurer Series? The series has 5 books for less than the manual but I’m having trouble finding good pictures of what’s actually in them. This is for an 11 year old who plays a bit but is more interested in the world itself than actually setting up a game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

To set it up there's a tinkerer in this halfling town. they have a lab that they use to make experiments and they're being targeted for assassination by the halfling village preservation society basically Hot Fuzz, except they're mad about a lack of "traditional" dnd values (not enough elfs and dwarfs, too many tieflings and dragonborn) and this tinkerer's lab doesn't fit the aesthetic. The Tinkerer has a hidden part of their lab where they're doing their REAL work, research into mimics, changelings, and warforged. to that end they have captured a mimic specimen and have contained in a room sized flask. when the players bust in, they'll see that there are three bodies in the flask, a dead would be assassin, and two identical members of the rival adventure party they've encountered bleeding out and babbling. The flask is filling with a noxious smoke, a failsafe in case anything went wrong, and if it weren't for the rival adventurer stuck in the self sealing door then the gas buildup would smother whatever's inside the flask. There's also a TWIN of the mimicked adventurer frantically trying to save their brother.

• calm the rival adventurer down enough to that they don't accidentally seal the flask and get everyone in there dead

But I feel like it's missing an existential threat. Like they only have a few rounds before the smoke smothers everyone OUTSIDE of the flask so if it breaks bad enough they may have to trolley problem it. also, the mimic is obviously the twin on the outside of the flask.

How about the party is trapped inside the lab, and the key they need is inside the flask on a raised dias, and instead of gas it's acid that's slowly rising and threatening to destroy the key and trap them inside forever

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ominous Jazz posted:

To clarify, this is a mimic that can copy people or it's a doppelganger? And for the bodies in the room, it is one dead assassin, one wounded rival, and one shapeshifter that looks like the wounded rival?

The existential threat should be twofold: the players need to know that the container/fog is in place to neutralize a serious threat but also the players need a reason to risk entering the danger zone. For the former, hint at the fact that the way the assassin died does not make sense for the surroundings. Maybe it is bifuracted with blood spatter on the back wall but there are no large/bloody weapons in sight to justify the outcome. There should also be a few mechanisms in the room (or rooms on approach) that say "press in case of specimen escape" but the devices have been deactivated.

I like the idea of an item being in there, probably on the rival party member's body. I guess that requires some information about why the party is breaking in in the first place.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Opopanax posted:

Any thoughts on the Monster Manual vs the Young Adventurer Series? The series has 5 books for less than the manual but I’m having trouble finding good pictures of what’s actually in them. This is for an 11 year old who plays a bit but is more interested in the world itself than actually setting up a game.

The Young Adventurer books are just fluff books for little kids. An 11-year-old who's already played the game is going to find them boring and perhaps even a bit patronizing, so go for the Monster Manual.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PeterWeller posted:

The Young Adventurer books are just fluff books for little kids. An 11-year-old who's already played the game is going to find them boring and perhaps even a bit patronizing, so go for the Monster Manual.

That’s kind of what I was expecting, I’m looking for a proper bestiary not a storybook. Thanks

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Zurreco posted:

To clarify, this is a mimic that can copy people or it's a doppelganger? And for the bodies in the room, it is one dead assassin, one wounded rival, and one shapeshifter that looks like the wounded rival?
[/quote[

mimics and doppelgangers are the same thing turns out or so closely related that a distinction isn't important. In the flask is a dead assassin, a severely wounded rival, and a shapeshifter that looks like the rival.

[quote="Zurreco" post="536338141"]
The existential threat should be twofold: the players need to know that the container/fog is in place to neutralize a serious threat but also the players need a reason to risk entering the danger zone. For the former, hint at the fact that the way the assassin died does not make sense for the surroundings. Maybe it is bifuracted with blood spatter on the back wall but there are no large/bloody weapons in sight to justify the outcome. There should also be a few mechanisms in the room (or rooms on approach) that say "press in case of specimen escape" but the devices have been deactivated.

I think that works for the for sure dead body. I was thinking of having alchemical stuff lying around that they can try. maybe like a color mixing puzzle while everything is getting intense?

Zurreco posted:

I like the idea of an item being in there, probably on the rival party member's body. I guess that requires some information about why the party is breaking in in the first place.
fascist halflings are trying to kill the tinkerer gnome (who has been losing their mind convinced that they are somehow a mimic/doppelganger/changeling but don't know it). the players have been warned. the tinkerer also may be the one person who can "fix" the broken dungeon nearby.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

also, the mimic is obviously the twin on the outside of the flask.

funny, but: why is the mimic trying to save the two people inside the flask, instead of just trying to escape? Is it so hungry that it's willing to re-enter its prison and risk the smoke and recapture?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
hm. good point. i was gonna say it imitated too good. but that's just too silly.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

So if I understand correctly:
1. There's a situation that's very complex going on, and when the PCs burst into this room it gets more complex because presumably they don't already know all about the lab and they're receiving new information immediately as a crisis hits.
2. In that situation, confusing and ambiguous, instead of seeing how the PCs decide to respond you plan to run a skill challenge that boils down to "make a bunch of rolls to solve the problem as I think you should solve it."
3. But you're afraid there isn't enough tension, so you want to make the consequences of failure a potential TPK. At the very least, they have 18 seconds or so to make lots of decisions and the right course of action (going through notes) will take more than 18 seconds for sure.

Yes, this sounds like something a new GM might come up with (which is OK, you're learning). You're approaching the situation from your perspective and trying to decide in advance what should happen, when you should approach it from a player's perspective and allow them to make the decisions.

I suggest you completely reconceive the situation. PCs burst into the lab. The rival adventurer and the duplicate are in the lab, both stuck in place by magic. Each asks to be freed, offers something in exchange (maybe the same thing, like the information they know about the secret lab). Urgency comes from both of them insisting that the tinkerer could return at any moment (assumes that the tinkerer is a threat or a potential threat to the PCs, but the PCs just have to believe that even if it's false). Each claims the other is a dangerous creature able to mimic people perfectly and that letting it escape could doom the entire town. You have stakes, you have rewards, and you have a potential time-limit, but then allow the PCs to work out their own solutions. Maybe they wait for the tinkerer to get back and have a conversation with them? Maybe they try freeing both and running for it? Maybe they knock both unconscious and try to drag them away? Maybe they hate the rival so much they decide to kill both captives? Then adjudicate whether what they try works, and what the consequences will be. Maybe there are clues in the lab notes they can use to tell the difference between the "twins?" Maybe they look for an inconsistency in behavior? Or ask quiz questions? Maybe they try using magic? Even the ways they try to "solve" the situation may lead to consequences down the line: searching the notes and finding nothing is going to complicate matters if they wait for the tinkerer to return, for example. "You break into and ransack my lab and now you want my help?!"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah a complex situation with open-ended outcome is better than one with preconsidered outcomes.

Also, if you want an intelligent creature that ably mimics other humanoids, a doppleganger is the more traditional option. There's nothing wrong with using a mimic in your game, of course, I just wanted to throw that in as food for thought. Traditionally mimics have been concieved-of as more sort of animal-level intelligence or worse, they mimic things out of instinct rather than carefully laid plans and probably can't carry on an actual conversation, no matter what they look like. Mimics in your campaign could be different, or maybe just this mimic is different, again that'd be fine and good.

I also don't think it's terrible to have one or two outcomes in mind as possibilities. As a GM I never want to put too much effort into them because the players have a habit of confounding expectations and inventing their own solutions: but, sometimes they get stuck or are feeling out of ideas and it's good to be able to just hint or suggest at something at the table to keep the session from bogging down.

But I agree with Narsham, mostly. I don't think it's terrible to have a skill challenge, that's part of the game; but let the players dictate their solution and then decide on the spot if they've attempted a skill challenge, or a combat encounter, or something else.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I'm trying to name a chaotic evil aquatic elf barbarian and it's eluding me because I'm really bad at elf names. The theme for the guy is supposed to be vaguely "Mad Max villain" and he worships Sekolah. Any ideas on something in that vein?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

Shadow or Long Death would be my suggestions as well. The former gives you access to some helpful spells and kinda vibes with the tomb. The latter helps you with sustain. If you think you could make it to Monk 6, the Shadow step ability will be a godsend in the later floors.

As for getting to Monk 4, getting Dex to 20 is a great idea but by that point you will have seen enough of the tomb to have some feats be really appealing. Alert, Observant, maybe (for the first time ever) Dungeon Delver might look really juicy as you progress.

We leveled to 8 and I ended up going Shadow monk + got Artus's legendary +3 dagger so I finally have a magic weapon. I think I'm going to take her at least to monk 5 to get a second attack, stunning strike, and the bump up to a D6 for my monk weapons.

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2023

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

two fish posted:

I'm trying to name a chaotic evil aquatic elf barbarian and it's eluding me because I'm really bad at elf names. The theme for the guy is supposed to be vaguely "Mad Max villain" and he worships Sekolah. Any ideas on something in that vein?

Some spontaneous ideas:
  • Charcharo Bloodling
  • Admiral Iakhorus
  • Dr. Erel Lamiac, Professor Emeritus of Theology
  • Morthusiah Cranst
  • Amniel Ultralodon
  • No name, just something like "Godchosen", "Broodeater", "Bladefin", or "Deepstrider"
Elf + Mad Max + Shark God + Barbarian is a tough combo. It is inspiring to think about, though. I am curious what you end up landing on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ominous Jazz posted:

fascist halflings are trying to kill the tinkerer gnome (who has been losing their mind convinced that they are somehow a mimic/doppelganger/changeling but don't know it). the players have been warned. the tinkerer also may be the one person who can "fix" the broken dungeon nearby.

I'll echo what Narsham said about simplifying (and definitely not having a potential TPK as the threat) but also just think about :
1. what the players know already know about the situation
2. what can the players quickly glean from the evolving situation (and what needs to be super obvious vs. intentionally misleading)
3. what the players are most likely to do with all this information (as well as the second and third most likely, like what is stopping them from just trying to smash in this "flask"?)

For example, it seems based on your description that this "rival" adventurer is more of a friendly rival they would have incentive to save (and like, wouldn't just be happy to watch die to loot their stuff, which I know many people who I've played with would) but would they know/suspect/roll to remember whether this rival has ever mentioned a twin? And if they don't have any reason to doubt, what exactly would they do with this information in any case (like, is it obvious at a glance that this panicking "twin" is about to accidentally kill them all? or would it seem like a better idea to dive in and help?)

Alternatively, since it seems like you weren't clear on the motivations of the mimic, why not make it a classic clone dilemma where instead of the mimic trying to "save" his sibling, the mimic is trying to assassinate his "clone" and both are trying to convince you they are the real one, with the clone trying to use evidence of the dead assassin and other mimics to let you kill his doppelganger assassin while the real guy begs for his life?

It's definitely a potentially compelling setup but I think "simple and non-lethal but with interesting challenges and various solutions" is better than having just a big chaotic soup of concepts and panic and potential death

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

two fish posted:

The Depth of Appolexy
Fish Feaster
Mad Mackerel
The Horrible Hun-gar

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Chum Darkwater
Finolas of the Red Depths
Billy the Squid
Bigeye Thresher is an actual type of shark

bagrada fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 6, 2023

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Fhangestriel, better known as simply "Fang".

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

two fish posted:

Scrimshaw
Harpoon Goon
Moby Melville
Alba Hardcore
Spurdog
(comedy option) Chum Guzzler

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

two fish posted:

I kinda feel like Chumungus is right there.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hra Mormo posted:

I kinda feel like Chumungus is right there.

This is the correct and proper answer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

two fish posted:

Culri Megalodon
Frach Tooth

Smooth Steve

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Styxen Roqsbones
Leafer Bedlam
Asque Leaves
Jayoe Cryxzstals

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Thought I'd pass this along-- if you've got Ollie's discount stores in your region, I noticed "Dungeons and Dragons" on their weekly email and it turns out they got a bunch of those Warriors of Krynn boardgames for $10 apiece and the Campaign Case: Terrain and Campaign Case: Creatures for $3 apiece. (Plus those terrible action figures based on the cartoon and the recent movie.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is this gonna be the best thread for me to ask for suggestions/critique on DMing the new Planescape module

It feels too very specific for the GM advice thread

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

All of the name suggestions were amazing, thank you! Ultimately went with Lord Chumungus and will use the remainder of them for his lieutenants and goons.

They're going to crawl out of the sea at beach towns on the coasts of Faerun and Lord Chumungus is going to call out his demands for a sacrifice to the Great Shark God and if they don't comply they're going to get speared with tridents shot out of ramshackle ballistas.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

two fish posted:

All of the name suggestions were amazing, thank you! Ultimately went with Lord Chumungus and will use the remainder of them for his lieutenants and goons.

They're going to crawl out of the sea at beach towns on the coasts of Faerun and Lord Chumungus is going to call out his demands for a sacrifice to the Great Shark God and if they don't comply they're going to get speared with tridents shot out of ramshackle ballistas.

Ah, those would be the Harpoon Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Asterite34 posted:

Ah, those would be the Harpoon Goons.

Goons With Harpoons was Right There