Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
congratulations to china for making the Backrooms real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Welp, the rural (by HK standards) Hong Kong Heritage Museum will be closed, the recently renovated Science Museum will close and move into the HKHM's empty premises, and the empty Science Museum will become a museum of the glories of China under Party leadership, right in the middle of Kowloon.

Never imagined I'd ever write that sentence.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

China is really really good at slow motion cleansing and genocide, so that tracks

It's just waiting for the right amount of loyalist politicians to seep into power to fully annex HK

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

Welp, the rural (by HK standards) Hong Kong Heritage Museum will be closed, the recently renovated Science Museum will close and move into the HKHM's empty premises, and the empty Science Museum will become a museum of the glories of China under Party leadership, right in the middle of Kowloon.

Never imagined I'd ever write that sentence.

Jesus loving Christ are you sure?

What’s wrong with local heritage :(

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wonton posted:

It doesn't sufficiently praise Xi Jinping Thought as being objectively correct

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\

Wonton posted:

It will be discussed in Legco next week. The Coastal Defence museum was already going to be renamed the Museum of the War of Resistance ...

For your second question, that's the problem. It's local heritage. A strong foundation of local heritage is what caused all those uppity riots. By destroying it, national unity is achieved.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Local heritage will be exterminated as swiftly and triumphantly as the thieving sparrow. Wait what do you mean they eat bugs too oh poo poo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's also why there can never be a benevolent autocracy. They always have to be destroying something you hold dear or you'll forget who's in charge. The cruelty is the point.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

local heritage? you mean the '67 uprising against colonialism?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

vanity slug posted:

sounds badass i would like to know more

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Wonton posted:

This came as Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said in his policy address that the government will set up two museums to introduce national development and war history as part of authorities’ plan to further promote patriotism education.
The bureau hopes the museum of national development and achievements can sit in the heart of town center to facilitate convenient visits for citizens, students and tourists.
The bureau said the new museum will introduce national development and achievements through ways that allow teenagers to understand and accept easier, with a view to strengthen recognition towards China

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/brea...nal-development

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Coolguye posted:

sounds badass i would like to know more

if you wanna be a real patriot you gotta wrap up some IEDs as gifts and leave them around children's play areas

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Xi is on a major purge right now

https://www.politico.eu/article/chinas-paranoid-purge-xi-jinping-li-keqiang-qin-gang-li-shangfu/

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Xi, no!!!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this whole thing and xi's whole deal started with the revelation in 2013 that half the PLA's generals were on the take from the CIA. they're still on the fuckin take, seems to be the case

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Hong Kong Free Press has an article up about the museum now

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/12/07/n...seum-faces-axe/

I wonder what will happen to the Cathay Pacific Douglas DC-3 that's currently hanging from the ceiling in the Science Museum.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This is the plane Xi himself flew to bring medicine to Hong Kong when it was blockaded by the pernicious British / Japanese / Central Intelligence of the Axis

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this whole thing and xi's whole deal started with the revelation in 2013 that half the PLA's generals were on the take from the CIA. they're still on the fuckin take, seems to be the case

Gotta say, the CIA's doing a poo poo job of keeping Pooh in line.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/06/venice-gondola-capsizes-tourists-canal

The Grauniad posted:

According to reports in the local press, the group from China had been shifting around the gondola and taking selfies against the backdrop of the lagoon city’s famous sites when the incident, which was captured on video and shared widely online, happened.

The gondolier’s manoeuvre under the bridge required the maximum balance of weight onboard, but the passengers reportedly ignored his orders to sit down and instead continued to stand up and take photos, thus tipping the boat over.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Did this get posted in the belt and road discussion? Italy, the only G7 country part of the belt and road initiative is pulling out.

quote:

Last July, in an interview with Corriere della Sera, Italy’s defence minister, Guido Crosetto, said joining China’s BRI had been a poor decision. “The decision to join the [new] Silk Road was an improvised and atrocious act” that boosted China’s exports to Italy but did not have the same effect on Italian exports to China, he said.

“The issue today is how to walk back [from the BRI] without damaging relations [with Beijing]. Because it is true that China is a competitor, but it is also a partner.”

Crosetto also voiced concerns about Beijing’s “increasingly assertive attitudes”, its ambition to have the largest military presence in the world and its ambitions to expand, particularly in Africa. “They don’t hide their goals. They make them explicit,” he said.

[...]

Italy formally exited the BRI with a letter delivered to Beijing a few days ago, the sources told the Ansa news agency. Rome was required to provide at least three months’ written notice to terminate the accord, thereby avoiding its automatic renewal.

Meloni’s office made no comment when asked about the move on Wednesday and there was no immediate comment from China either.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/06/italy-to-withdraw-from-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-say-sources

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

fish and chips and dip posted:

Did this get posted in the belt and road discussion? Italy, the only G7 country part of the belt and road initiative is pulling out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/06/italy-to-withdraw-from-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-say-sources

"How can do I what the people who will riot and try to lynch me want, without also pissing off the people paying my extravagant bribes consultation fees?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

don't remember who was posting about kaifeng jews before, but there's news, they're also volunteering to be blown up: https://www.ynetnews.com/magazine/article/bkbeu4i03

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
War history? Historicly hasnt china been the worlds punching bag?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this 'article' is filled with factual inaccuracies btw, without a byline or anyone else supporting their claims

but catchy headline achieved

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

It will be discussed in Legco next week. The Coastal Defence museum was already going to be renamed the Museum of the War of Resistance ...

For your second question, that's the problem. It's local heritage. A strong foundation of local heritage is what caused all those uppity riots. By destroying it, national unity is achieved.

Ok Heung yee kuk, time to go. Enable order 66 aka land reform

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Fumble posted:

I mean, you could have a massive museum solely dedicated to ancient/medieval domestic wars within China. That being said China's modern military history is pretty interesting, though I have a feeling this museum will probably focus inordinately on the war against the kuomintang.

Are the 1980s wars with Vietnam widely talked about in China? I can see those featuring too.

E;I guess this might require China to explain why they supported the khmer rouge though sooooo maybe not

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 7, 2023

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

vanity slug posted:

My mom was working as a nurse back then. The patients were so crazy that they wanted to beat up the head nurse who was this elder English lady.

The situation got so out of hand that the Chinese nurses formed a human shield wall to protect. And patients have the audacity the next day to pretend nothing happened and ask for water or attention.

Home made pineapple bombs, and putting IEDs in kids toys. Incinerating Lam Bun the radio dj on his way to work.

gently caress you

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

Wonton posted:

Ok Heung yee kuk, time to go. Enable order 66 aka land reform

god I would love to see all of 八鄉 confiscated

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

free hubcaps posted:

E;I guess this might require China to explain why they supported the khmer rouge though sooooo maybe not

This is killing fields.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Gotta say, the CIA's doing a poo poo job of keeping Pooh in line.

i mean, "bribe every PLA general they can get to accept bribes" seems to be one of the grand instances of the CIA actually doing their job properly

qin gang is almost certainly still alive actually, just in jail forever, like bo xilai or zhou yongkang

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i mean, "bribe every PLA general they can get to accept bribes" seems to be one of the grand instances of the CIA actually doing their job properly

qin gang is almost certainly still alive actually, just in jail forever, like bo xilai or zhou yongkang

the CIA does this with literally every foreign staffer that will accept money, yea. most spying in that way is less Mata Hari and more being that weirdo on Nextdoor.

it's remarkable that general staffers are vulnerable to it in China's case, but that perhaps isn't surprising considering that one of Xi's biggest problems has been capital flight from Chinese elites who know how hosed up everything is. i imagine the generals do too and this is just their way of trying to get some foreign currency they can use to disappear if need be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fumble posted:

You gotta be more specific, China's been around a while.

China's encounter with Europeans went poorly but prior to that China was the big kid on the block most of the time. There were many periods where China's military power was pretty hosed and many when they were the dominant power of East Asia with armies no one could challenge.

free hubcaps posted:

Are the 1980s wars with Vietnam widely talked about in China? I can see those featuring too.

I wouldn't say they're widely talked about, but everyone is taught about when China walked into Vietnam and completely beat them and achieved all their objectives, a great and glorious day for the PLA, unlike those Americans who got rinsed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grand Fromage posted:

China's encounter with Europeans went poorly but prior to that China was the big kid on the block most of the time. There were many periods where China's military power was pretty hosed and many when they were the dominant power of East Asia with armies no one could challenge.

You can rule over giant swathes of asia for 2 millennia, but get your rear end kicked by horse nomads 2 times and what does everyone remember?

(everyone with a passable border to the asian steppe got their rear end kicked by horse nomads)

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the CIA does this with literally every foreign staffer that will accept money, yea. most spying in that way is less Mata Hari and more being that weirdo on Nextdoor.

it's remarkable that general staffers are vulnerable to it in China's case, but that perhaps isn't surprising considering that one of Xi's biggest problems has been capital flight from Chinese elites who know how hosed up everything is. i imagine the generals do too and this is just their way of trying to get some foreign currency they can use to disappear if need be.

it's working, but not as intended

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Klyith posted:

You can rule over giant swathes of asia for 2 millennia, but get your rear end kicked by horse nomads 2 times and what does everyone remember?

(everyone with a passable border to the asian steppe got their rear end kicked by horse nomads)

it was a lot more than 2 times, but we tend not to talk about those ones

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

They didn't say "Ready".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stink Billyums posted:

Mongols and jurchen/manchu were the ones who took the whole enchilada.

Though I guess jurchen is also debatable, they mostly weren't nomads by the time they rebranded as manchu and had their day. "Hey banner bro we're gonna invade Liaodong, it's gonna be sweet. Oh and tell your cousin Jimbo to come along. Yeah he's a hick but he rides a horse real good."

but anyways yes getting your rear end regularly kicked by horse nomads is the natural consequence of living near horse nomads

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Shumagorath posted:

Forest City: Inside Malaysia's Chinese-built 'ghost city' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67610677

Does anyone own beltandroadisgoinggreat dot com

this model is what goes on in Chinese cities also

at this point in the cycle the local government would be leaned on to provide things to attract residents, like rezone nearby land as industrial parks or move universities and schools to the development; in this way the local government tacitly bails out the developer after the fact, in return for more development (and opportunities for graft/career development).

if one looks on a map, this is what should have happened; the town is quite deliberately sited near a swathe of undeveloped plantation land that would logically be next on the chopping block.

unfortunately this ran into the fact that non-Chinese cities can be in countries that have changes in government - it took until this year for the Malaysian government to stabilize enough to look into the Iskandar Development Region plan again. Of course the shift in Chinese real estate conditions could not have helped but really if that was all then another developer would have cheerfully bought the project out

it is also the case that the Chinese retail investors who bought units would be expected to take a large haircut but that's already been happening (this, too, is something that has afflicted Chinese domestic investors also). Ultimately "economic fundamentals indicate that this place will, eventually, become developed and rich" is not in itself tantamount to "and you, specifically, will be allowed to receive a slice of that cake", which is a helpful lesson for investors in emerging markets everywhere, really

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 9, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
To push back on the ghost city thing a bit, I did go check out one of the "famous" ones last time I was in changsha - meixi lake.

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-chinese-cities-are-ghost-towns-2016-2

It was loving *bustling*. Family was like "what are you talking about ghost city? That's the area everyone wants to move to!"

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uwinRKcNSByXDcP98
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CAzWD8sCoN5kpirw8

Part of it is I think we are just completely unfamiliar with this scale of development (and maybe the photographer who sold this story was bullshitting a bit, or more likely his content was editorialized). They built this whole thing from nothing in almost one huge go, in about 5 years. Including running the subway line all the way out. Yes, putting in the infrastructure first to support development, instead of letting it lag until there is no way to duck it any more is a bit of a wild concept for americans. And even now all I have in my denver suburb is a half assed "rapid transit bus", except without anything that makes it rapid transit. It's just a regular rear end bus, you fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Baddog posted:

To push back on the ghost city thing a bit, I did go check out one of the "famous" ones last time I was in changsha - meixi lake.

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-chinese-cities-are-ghost-towns-2016-2

It was loving *bustling*. Family was like "what are you talking about ghost city? That's the area everyone wants to move to!"

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uwinRKcNSByXDcP98
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CAzWD8sCoN5kpirw8

Part of it is I think we are just completely unfamiliar with this scale of development (and maybe the photographer who sold this story was bullshitting a bit, or more likely his content was editorialized). They built this whole thing from nothing in almost one huge go, in about 5 years. Including running the subway line all the way out. Yes, putting in the infrastructure first to support development, instead of letting it lag until there is no way to duck it any more is a bit of a wild concept for americans. And even now all I have in my denver suburb is a half assed "rapid transit bus", except without anything that makes it rapid transit. It's just a regular rear end bus, you fuckers.

Modern America has basically lost the ability to even conceive of the idea of “Build something that we will need, in the future.” So when someone else does it, regardless of if it’s done well or bad or is chock full of grift, it just seems like madness. Building an apartment building because you know the population will keep growing and you’ll be glad you had a spare one lying around, rather than just waiting till there’s a bunch of people with nowhere for them to live, is not an idea that America understands anymore.