Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ouch, the PC Gamer review is a 59/100. But you all are thinking they are way off the mark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's wild someone said that about Bioware when Larian just released not only the best crpg of the year, but the best Baldur's Gate game for the very franchise that made Bioware relevant in the first place.

I said come in! posted:

Ouch, the PC Gamer review is a 59/100. But you all are thinking they are way off the mark?

based on the technical state, no, but some major AAA launching with insane tech problems usually get that waved off and get glowing reviews

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I said come in! posted:

Virtually every other review is far more glowing, and in the 80-90 band range. The game indeed appears to be Good.

I'm just accusing the PC Gamer reviewer of being an outright racist who inserted an absolutely inane and absurdist dogwhistle into their review to make it clear to readers who they thought "real" game developers were.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I said come in! posted:

It reads like a number of reviews for Owlcat’s other games. CRPGs are up there with strategy games for genres where I don’t even both with critic reviews unless it’s from someone I know actually understands and has a history with the genre.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SpaceDrake posted:

Virtually every other review is far more glowing, and in the 80-90 band range. The game indeed appears to be Good.

I'm just accusing the PC Gamer reviewer of being an outright racist who inserted an absolutely inane and absurdist dogwhistle into their review to make it clear to readers who they thought "real" game developers were.

Did they give any other evidence of being racist? I'm not gonna read the review because I want to go in as unspoiled as possible (or as possible as I can be since I was in since the alpha :v: ), but from what I'm hearing, the reviewer might have wanted a more 'cinematic' experience like we got from good Bioware games (e.g. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KotOR etc.) with more voice acting, more character animations etc.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
PC Gamer has had a very storied history with Bioware

https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-2-review/

quote:

To make Origins, BioWare dredged up buckets of backstory from the minds of their best writers. A new land was invented, branded with religious intolerance and inherent racism. Then, once the continent of Thedas was concrete, BioWare forgot they'd invented all that engaging stuff and slapped a typical 'kill the big bad thing' fantasy plotline on top. For all its size and wonder, Origins didn't make full use of its fascinating world.

Dragon Age 2 does it right. It's still an RPG epic, it still takes upwards of 50 hours to finish. It's still got a deep, complex combat system, and it's still got a well-defined supporting cast. But it's also an RPG that wears its mythology proudly, confident in its goal of charting the rise of a complete and utter badass. You.

Dragon Age 2 is not what you expect. Hell, even during preview sessions, I hadn't anticipated it being this much of a traditional sequel. But by locking down the context – the world and the politics – BioWare were free to fill their creation with more character and vitality than any title in recent memory. The best RPG of this decade? Nine more years will tell, but for now, yes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay good, i'm gonna ignore it then. PC Gamer was an outlet I loved back in the 90s when they were a magazine only, but over the years they have really gone downhill.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol, yeah, the Bioware comparison is pretty laughable given their recent output was Andromeda, Anthem and gently caress all.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Perfect Potato posted:

BioWare forgot they'd invented all that engaging stuff and slapped a typical 'kill the big bad thing' fantasy plotline on top
You know, sometimes I just kinda want to hang out in Generic Fantasyland and kill the BBEG.

Someone should really make another Icewind Dale game.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

They were just referencing a previous article they had written about their dream 40k game a Rogue Trader RPG developed by BioWare. The criticisms were mainly too many trash fights making combats a slog and being extremely buggy, which should surprise no one who played Owlcat’s previous games. They liked the story and characters. But please continue the embarrassing gamer tradition of getting extremely mad at reviews of games you haven’t played.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Zephro posted:

You know, sometimes I just kinda want to hang out in Generic Fantasyland and kill the BBEG.

Someone should really make another Icewind Dale game.

I'd buy an enhanced Temple of Elemental Evil with some good mods implemented in a heartbeat, really.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perfect Potato posted:

PC Gamer has had a very storied history with Bioware

https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-2-review/

If that's what they have to say about DA2, then they have absolutely no credibility in my eyes- DA2 was utter garbage :colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Did they give any other evidence of being racist? I'm not gonna read the review because I want to go in as unspoiled as possible (or as possible as I can be since I was in since the alpha :v: ), but from what I'm hearing, the reviewer might have wanted a more 'cinematic' experience like we got from good Bioware games (e.g. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KotOR etc.) with more voice acting, more character animations etc.

They express dislike of the wordiness and number of talents/passives and such that can be in effect at once or picked during level up as their main issue with the non combat parts of the game so I imagine rather than wishing it had the voice acting/presentation of the Bioware stuff of that era, it's more an active dislike of this style of rpg. I would guess they'd dislike most games that have a lot going on though in the same regard and probably aren't singling out Owlcat.

Doesn't seem racist to me personally, just a preference that comes across in the review. As CommissarMega said though, with some games you kinda have to read the review and then think if the things they think are negative are negative for you or actually good, personally I read it and go "I love picking stuff during level up and doing that for my entire party even if I'm never gonna take them out of the ship, that sounds great (as long as the UI is good and the tooltips are correct of course)". Or ignore the reviews and go with your gut or watch some videos of it being played or whatever.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If that's what they have to say about DA2, then they have absolutely no credibility in my eyes- DA2 was utter garbage :colbert:

I'm not sure if that reviewer is even a part of PC Gamer anymore, it's just incredibly funny and timeless as a piece of writing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

personally I read it and go "I love picking stuff during level up and doing that for my entire party even if I'm never gonna take them out of the ship, that sounds great (as long as the UI is good and the tooltips are correct of course)".

And also this is a core mechanic of Warhammer 40K table top. The game is a what you see is what is on the table, and so putting the right weapons and gear on your miniatures is massively important because proxy playing is not allowed in tournament play.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sinistral posted:

But please continue the embarrassing gamer tradition of getting extremely mad at reviews of games you haven’t played.

As someone who has at least one friend who is extremely anxious about the waves of massive anti-Russian ethnic sentiment that have rippled through the anglosphere and American culture in the past year and a half, I will absolutely do so, thank you and good day.

JamMasterJim posted:

I'd buy an enhanced Temple of Elemental Evil with some good mods implemented in a heartbeat, really.

This, however, is a good opinion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thebardyspoon posted:

They express dislike of the wordiness and number of talents/passives and such that can be in effect at once or picked during level up as their main issue with the non combat parts of the game so I imagine rather than wishing it had the voice acting/presentation of the Bioware stuff of that era, it's more an active dislike of this style of rpg. I would guess they'd dislike most games that have a lot going on though in the same regard and probably aren't singling out Owlcat.

Ah, so that's it then. Yeah, if complexity and wordiness are their problem, then RT is turning out to be even more of a sell for me- I think that anyone who likes Owlcat's repertoire will definitely like this one, I'm guessing.

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm not sure if that reviewer is even a part of PC Gamer anymore, it's just incredibly funny and timeless as a piece of writing

Oh undoubtedly on both counts- seriously I was shaking my head IRL after reading those paragraphs, and I sincerely hope I hope their taste's gotten better in the years since.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I said come in! posted:

It looks like the person that wrote that article barely writes reviews. I think the only other review they wrote of a game this year was oxenfree II back in July.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It looks like the person that wrote that article barely writes reviews. I think the only other review they wrote of a game this year was oxenfree II back in July.

Gotcha, i'm still gonna buy the game and will judge for myself. If everyone here thinks the review is utter bullshit, and even other reviews are way more positive, then the PC Gamer review is bad and should be ignored.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Gotcha, i'm still gonna buy the game and will judge for myself. If everyone here thinks the review is utter bullshit, and even other reviews are way more positive, then the PC Gamer review is bad and should be ignored.

'utter bullshit' is kind of a stretch, if games were actually heavily dinged for their technical problems at launch we'd have way more AAA games getting sub 70s and that would compromise then entire video game journalist industrial complex

It's a lot of perfectly valid complaints but those same types of complaints, for say a major EA game, aren't counted against the review score.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pattonesque posted:

Rogue Trader does have a shitload of trash mobs but unlike WoTR they can be pretty easily handled by Argenta opening up with her bolter

Yeah this is an important caveat, trash goes down really fast so it's just a bit irritating rather than super tedious

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, yes, the summary of the reviews can essentially be boiled down to "if you liked Owlcat's previous efforts in any way, you will absolutely love this game to tiny little bits". The biggest criticisms I've taken away is that they do fall into the trap of lots of little filler abilities available that might overshadow big ones (which is also true of the source tabletop title, and often you had to select a number of such advances to "fill out" a leveling tier), they didn't solve the riddle of an expansive game allowing you to over-level for the main plot (which, whatever, that has no easy answer) and thanks to the Momentum system wanting a lot of scrubs to build meter off of and a general desire to Feel 40K and have you mowing through a number of dudes, combat can sometimes feel sloggy. Meanwhile the narrative elements are stronger than they've ever been and a very common refrain is that the writing team appears to really "get" 40K.

None of the criticisms are remotely dealbreakers for me, so I am excited for tomorrow. I will show the grim dark future the power of unironic niceness, backed up by a judicious amount of pyromania.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That matches my experience with the beta. I'm gonna finish up what I'm playing then dip into it I think.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

pentyne posted:

It's wild someone said that about Bioware when Larian just released not only the best crpg of the year, but the best Baldur's Gate game for the very franchise that made Bioware relevant in the first place.

Infinity engine forever.

Though maybe triple A games aren't for me.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

I said come in! posted:

Tbh I've stopped caring about review numbers. He docked the game several points for not liking the combat, but that's not going to be the thing that keeps me from enjoying it so what might be 6 for him is possibly an 8 to me. I mostly wanted to know if the game is an implacably buggy state and I should hold off for a month or two or if I'm good to go on release date, since Owlcat's got a bit of a history of releasing their games in a not-too-great state.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
After Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, I think I'll give this one a year to be actually playable from start to finish. As I recall, Owlcat's previous games also came out to rave reviews, despite being barely playable past the first few hours. Given the studio's shady behavior up to this point (releasing what could be generously called a beta, claiming it's complete, and then "re-releasing" it as an "enhanced edition" a year later in order to get back on the storefronts' front pages once they fixed all the game-breaking stuff and can actually call it finished without it being an outright lie), I wouldn't be shocked if the beta for RT was deliberately polished up to make sure it looks like "no really we've improved this time trust us bro" and then the whole back half of the game is, as in the last two times this has happened, barely functional. Definitely excited to play it once it's done, though.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

pentyne posted:

I'm assuming this reviewer just wants their space RPGs to be like Mass Effect, a bad opinion but not an uncommon one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

After Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, I think I'll give this one a year to be actually playable from start to finish. As I recall, Owlcat's previous games also came out to rave reviews, despite being barely playable past the first few hours. Given the studio's shady behavior up to this point (releasing what could be generously called a beta, claiming it's complete, and then "re-releasing" it as an "enhanced edition" a year later in order to get back on the storefronts' front pages once they fixed all the game-breaking stuff and can actually call it finished without it being an outright lie), I wouldn't be shocked if the beta for RT was deliberately polished up to make sure it looks like "no really we've improved this time trust us bro" and then the whole back half of the game is, as in the last two times this has happened, barely functional. Definitely excited to play it once it's done, though.

There is going to be a flood of patches over the next few weeks for sure.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

If you want to play the most optimal version with the least amount of bugs it's always a good idea to wait at least another year on a CRPG, this has been a truism for a while now.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

Infinity engine forever.

Though maybe triple A games aren't for me.

I played BG2 only like 5 years ago and it is definitely head and shoulders above anything else in the series, though BG1 is woefully underrated. There's something oddly comforting in mapping out those zones and genociding the wildlife and gibberlings

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Kingmaker critic and steam reviews were not rave, really.
It took like a year for kingmaker to go to mostly positive.
But waiting a year is probably a good choice. First 2 dlc will be out and they will not break too many things.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
PC Gamer review should have said "I wish this was a BioWare-style game" instead of "I wish this was a BioWare game" because lol

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Clerical Terrors posted:

If you want to play the most optimal version with the least amount of bugs it's always a good idea to wait at least another year on a CRPG, this has been a truism for a while now.

I mean, the "correct" option with most games, but CRPGs especially, is to hold of playing it until the devs say they're finished with the game and won't be patching it anymore because they've moved on to a new project. To be clear, I don't do this, but you'd probably have a better experience of just about everything.

JamMasterJim posted:

Kingmaker critic and steam reviews were not rave, really.
It took like a year for kingmaker to go to mostly positive.

Even now, I think I come down on Kingmaker actually being mediocre, while Wrath is one of best CRPGs ever made.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm chill about this kind of thing but really yeah this is the best way to go. Owlcat do have an excellent record of continued support so there's no downside to waiting for a bit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Clerical Terrors posted:

There's a huge difference between "most optimal version" and "you can actually reach the end of the game without a bug rendering the whole thing unplayable". Fallout: New Vegas was riddled with bugs at launch due to Obsidian's outdated QA practices, but you could at least finish the game. Maybe you didn't play the other two Owlcat games at launch, and didn't experience just how badly broken they were, but they were absolutely in a condition where no honest studio would ever have claimed they were ready to be sold.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a huge difference between "most optimal version" and "you can actually reach the end of the game without a bug rendering the whole thing unplayable". Fallout: New Vegas was riddled with bugs at launch due to Obsidian's outdated QA practices, but you could at least finish the game. Maybe you didn't play the other two Owlcat games at launch, and didn't experience just how badly broken they were, but they were absolutely in a condition where no honest studio would ever have claimed they were ready to be sold.

Fair, the state of Kingmaker was absolutely abysmal and I didn't play WotR until the EE came out as a result.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I played WotR at launch and it was fine beyond the odd mechanical class feature bugs and that one Lich crusade thing. As opposed to Minthara going in an endless loop screaming about how Ketheric is dead for the entirety of Act 3 or not getting a real ending until 4 months after the fact

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
playing WOTR is like a TTRPG game where the DM is incredible at character work and worldbuilding but can only make encounters difficult by tripling all the numbers

"you fail to overcome the zombie's spell resistance and he hits you seven times for 40 damage each. There are 14 more zombies in the initiative order before you can go" repeated for 100 hours

edit: that being said they're better at this in Rogue Trader. The boss fight which is a chaos space marine charging at you while a sniper plinks away is great

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 6, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SpaceDrake posted:

"I don't like the way Owlcat does combat or how they fill their games with over complicated systems" is not a dogwhistle or in fact an uncommon opinion. Like I enjoy their games overall but I'm also not wild about either of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

The PC Gamer review has a racist dogwhistle implying they wish it had been developed by Real Whites and not Unclean Bastard Russians

HTH

(No but I seriously wonder about how Owlcat's origins influence how they get reviewed and that reference to Bioware, a company that has been utterly irrelevant in the space for a decade, set off every alarm bell I have)

What specifically was this? I would check their website but I don't necessarily want to give them traffic because I'm checking to see what racist thing they said, seems like potentially rewarding bad behavior.

Edit: If you ask me which RPG company I would least want to make something 40K bioware would be my instant reaction. Bethesda would also be awful.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 6, 2023