Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-devs-say-atmosphere-is-soul-crushing-amid-layoffs-cuts-and-fear-of-total-sony-takeover

Bungie's hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:smith:

Not what I wanted to see today.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Sony involvement with Bungie is only briefly mentioned early on in the article. There’s nothing new here.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That does sound pretty bad. But would Sony taking over be such a bad thing at this point? I feel like the management is exactly the problem, and has been for a long time now.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That does sound pretty bad. But would Sony taking over be such a bad thing at this point? I feel like the management is exactly the problem, and has been for a long time now.

For one, it would almost certainly mean more, and more aggressive layoffs

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It would in the short term in that they would gut bungie even more. What comes out from that who knows. Marathon is still years away and we have no idea how Destiny is actually going to look post Final Shape (episodes dont really mean anything to us right now in terms of structure or how much content they’ll actually have) assuming they want to genuinely push the game further.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I feel the firings don't make sense from a Sony position. You paid a billion dollars for these people! You knew that Destiny was the only thing making money and they had these irons in the fire. I thought the consensus was they mostly bought them for their live service expertise.

Like I could see Bungie management being so quick to fire because a full Sony takeover means they get canned, but the people making the things is where the value is.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mill Village posted:

The Sony involvement with Bungie is only briefly mentioned early on in the article. There’s nothing new here.

I don’t remember hearing this anywhere else

quote:

While the exact details of Sony’s deal to acquire Bungie remain unknown to the public or employees, sources say they were told by leaders that the current split board structure is contingent on Bungie meeting certain financial goals. If Bungie falls short of certain financial goals by too great an amount, Sony is allowed to dissolve the existing board and take full control of the company.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I have never known a company that wouldn’t kill a golden goose at the drop of the hat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sucks for Bungie but this game is totally ending with Final Shape. Hell of a run for a title.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think part of the issue is the live service expertise; it’s increasingly clear even to the laggards in executive positions that people are not interested in new GaaS stuff. there have been three successful games in that field as far as I know: Fortnite, Destiny, and, far behind, the Division.

Bungie higher-ups sold the company to Sony on the grounds that they could help do something nobody wants anymore, and the workers are paying the price for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Division was a lot of thing but a successful live game it was certainly not.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

that makes it even worse!!

the other successful constantly updating games are MMOs that charge a subscription fee, and obviously Destiny could do that, but it would alienate even more people and it’s not like the cadence of new Stuff could be at all sped up given they’re down a hundred people now (not counting QA folks who weren’t part of this particular layoff wave)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Man, I can't wait to read the 10 retrospective on "What Went Wrong with Destiny" from former Bungie employees.

I'm still curious what was so bad about the Destiny 1 vertical slice that caused Bungie to throw the entire story out.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Trying to make TWO new games and not Destiny 3 was so bad in hindsight. Mishandled the company so badly

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Man, I can't wait to read the 10 retrospective on "What Went Wrong with Destiny" from former Bungie employees.

I'm still curious what was so bad about the Destiny 1 vertical slice that caused Bungie to throw the entire story out.

Management didn't listen to employees.
Management didn't listen to the community.
Management didn't put enough resources into the game and tried to cut corners constantly.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

that makes it even worse!!

the other successful constantly updating games are MMOs that charge a subscription fee, and obviously Destiny could do that, but it would alienate even more people and it’s not like the cadence of new Stuff could be at all sped up given they’re down a hundred people now (not counting QA folks who weren’t part of this particular layoff wave)

The other MMOs charge a sub fee and have microtransactions and battle passes. There's no way Bungie can start charging monthly for a game 6 years after its released. Doubly so because Bungie has vaulted content and the MMOs that charge sub fees have not.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

aledesma posted:

yes regular gambit == kinda bad

but

Gambit Prime? having different roles like Collector, Reaper, Sentry, Invader? that was the pinnacle of matchmade activities.

if by pinnacle you mean the pinnacle of poo poo

no seriously, matchmaking + roles that required you to equip lovely armor you need to jump through a bunch of hoops to get, was a mess. You'd have a team full kitted out vs. a team that had noone in prime armor.

I could see Prime working with something like the artifact where you select your role and some perks agnostic of your gear, and matchmaking lines up even teams, or alternatively, like DSC roles where everyone picks up one at the start of a round.

RBX posted:

Trying to make TWO new games and not Destiny 3 was so bad in hindsight. Mishandled the company so badly
eh, not having all your eggs in one basket is a half-decent plan as a developer.

I 100% still believe Destiny 3 would/could have been a total disaster, for mostly the same reasons we have not see WoW2 or FFXIV-2.

Like, there's a lot of things in Destiny 2 that need improving, but short of D3 just being a huge overhaul that keeps 90% of the content, I think throwing away a ton of content, could be a disaster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gambit's fun as hell, shame it's dead

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Destiny is plenty and exhaustively monetized already. I don't think they need to find more parts of it to sell individually. They just need to sell more. No comment on whether that means they need to make more content or make higher quality content but they're just not selling enough and it's not a issue of spreading more sku's across the same number of products

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

RBX posted:

Knowing Marathon is slated to get all the resources and ideas Crucible and Gambit always needed probably did the most to lower my enthusiasm for Destiny.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Snuffman posted:

I think I can safely say "Bungie just didn't think it was that great" without stepping on anyone. There wasn't some amazing twist that Bungie chickened out of, or a publisher mandate to Remove The Story And Sell It As DLC.

I can say what wasn't in it. Fans have invented a lot of ideas, like the Speaker being evil, or species-specific starting missions—none of that is real. It was still a Destiny story with the usual barrage of proper nouns. You went to a bunch of places and shot stuff while people yelled at you on the radio, and then you got a cutscene about how you were so cool, but many great threats and discoveries still awaited you. At the end of the story there was a City and a Traveler and a Speaker and a whole cast of characters living in a tower, just like in the beginning. It wasn't like Halo where you end up a very different place status quo the beginning. More like the pilot of a TV show.

Crow was the Queen's love interest, which is awkward now. The Stranger was called Hecate and her animations were all extremely sexed up, she was Osiris' disciple or student or minion. Shaxx was your rival, but not your enemy, like a Star Wars bounty hunter. There was a Vault, like in Borderlands. The Traveler had a shield to protect the City, you saw some Fallen crash into it. I don't think Guardians were resurrected dead people, just a bunch of people. It was clearly made by people who loved Firefly.

It had good aspects. It didn't answer any major questions about the Destiny universe or have any huge twists, though. Some people who worked on it went on to do (imo) great work, some of the best work in the whole IP, on projects like Taken King.

Hope this post does not get my rear end in trouble

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

Employees in one department recalled a post-layoffs Q&A session where a department head was asked if leadership taking salary cuts to prevent layoffs had been considered, only to respond that Bungie was “not that type of company.”

both oof-ing and yikes-ing here

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Management didn't listen to employees.
Management didn't listen to the community.
Management didn't put enough resources into the game and tried to cut corners constantly.

At this point, Sony replacing the board might be a improvement.

ETA:

Megazver posted:

Yeah, what's the incentive to not have the board replaced? Sounds like layoffs either way.

Also What was the code-name of the other in-development game? Matter?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The Traveler had a shield to protect the City, you saw some Fallen crash into it.

Lol

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My question is:

Why wait? It's pretty clear at this point the executives at Bungie are the source of all their problems. They don't know how to service their developers and they don't know how to service the players paying their salaries. It's time for them to find another business to ruin.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

*fires security team*

*1000 IQ executives* We're seeing less MAU in PVP what happened guys...??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Megazver posted:

Yeah that's a huge yikes lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In other news, this is the season of the battle rifle, based on how my Battler did against unstoppables lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It seems like the execs at Bungie don't want this takeover to happen so they don't get fired or something and are very greedy. That's just how it all reads to me though. How much worse can being owned by Sony really be. I guess they don't want to find out either.

editor
Feb 4, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

*fires security team*

*1000 IQ executives* We're seeing less MAU in PVP what happened guys...??

don’t worry the head of accessibility was fired so maybe they’ll start caring about game integrity again

lol

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh sweet, that IB chainmail shader dropped at the end of a match for me.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

God: "I have made Tribute"
Angels: "You ruined a perfectly good Iron Banner, is what you did. Look at it, it's got transmat firing."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ullerrm posted:

You ruined a perfectly good Iron Banner, is what you did.

if the current thread title was not evergreen this would be a good candidate

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Iron Gambit is loving dire

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Lib and let die posted:

Aaaaaand it's gone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lib and let die posted:

https://twitter.com/Destiny2Team/status/1732551094033953271?s=20

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They have a nice and insightful post-mortem on it in the replies.

Too high a mercy rate, they think it can be salvaged by tinkering with some of the Numbers

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oof. First they do the orb change and now they have to pull iron banner?

Cmon, guys. This poo poo ain't hard. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Goddamn

I didn't even get around to trying it

Crisis mode now boys let's talk about the orb cooldowns