Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc3_4O-uq-o

I played through the first one on the beta branch a few weeks ago and forgot just how tough the early game could be, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Extremely Powerful Capybaras is finally just...out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2089980/Extremely_Powerful_Capybaras/

quote:

These unique Capybaras will fight for their survival in this chaotic bullet heaven roguelite adventure! Whether you are solo or with a team, face hordes of enemies, collect coins, unlock weapons and skills, and become the mightiest capybaras of all!

Unleash the capy-power with a diverse range of capybara heroes, each boasting unique classes, weapons, and combat styles! Whether you're a mighty Warrior or a melodious Bard, prepare to face hordes of enemies in style!

Are you a lone capy-warrior or a squad commander? Take on the adventure solo or team up with your capy-comrades through Online or Local Co-op for a fur-ocious fight!

Every run brings a fresh set of randomized skills and passives! Pick the perfect combo to complement your capy-build and make each run a unique and thrilling experience. Mix, match, and conquer!

Earned a hoard of Capy-Coins during your daring runs? Time to give your abilities a capy-boost! Visit the Upgrade Shop to exchange your well-earned coins for powerful ability upgrades. Enhance your gameplay, optimize your strategies, and unleash even greater capy-chaos!

Before diving into the action, indulge in some capybara-style relaxation by chilling in the hot springs. Savor the calm before the storm, as you and your companions gear up to showcase your Extremely Powerful Capybaras!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oh wow, it has co-op support.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMUJ_YMPlY
:thunk:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sure, why not

that's a pretty sweet trailer at least. wonder if they'll be exclusive to an adventure or if they'll just be in the base game

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Took me a bit to realize the three non-Among Us characters are from the base game lol

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Did not recognize Pugnala at first, haha.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

these "we have a budget" trailers for VS weird me the gently caress out

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Anyone having issues with VS not saving your progress? I was able to unlock the hidden character and the adventures. But while the character didn't unlock. I reset my game and need to unlock those two things again for some reason. :psyduck:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
StRted the garlic adventure. It’s fun so far. When is it getting added to the switch version?

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Azran posted:

Took me a bit to realize the three non-Among Us characters are from the base game lol

straight up thought it was Alex from SF3 for a bit

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RoboCicero posted:

Looks like Picayune Dreams is coming out in four days on December 4th. I enjoyed it as a weird rendercore VS-like with surreal Yume Nikki-style interludes. This is from their 1.0 announcement post:

edit: Having played the demo I really liked the sense of surreality and existential horror that the story seemed to hint at. The character is the only one able to 'defend earth', but is also locked into some kind of infinitely repeating, hellish eternal battle. You know, as it goes.

This game rocks. Haven't paid a terrible amount of attention to the story but the music/gameplay is hypnotic. Upgrades are really cool with some very interesting options available on the metaprogression skill tree & with free easy respecs I find myself completely changing up my loadout each run.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How’s the adventure mode?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Holocure, Irys from the second set of characters is a great money maker. I gave her the coin-generating sticker and it just about covered the screen in coins because her basic attack is a multi-hit stream. Picked up ~90k from a single level.

RoboCicero posted:

Did not recognize Pugnala at first, haha.

I didn't realize Pugnala was female. Given her rendering in the trailer, that's probably for the best.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Anyone having issues with VS not saving your progress? I was able to unlock the hidden character and the adventures. But while the character didn't unlock. I reset my game and need to unlock those two things again for some reason. :psyduck:

VS on iOS can be really flaky if you close it mid-run. I've never had problems as long as I finish the run though.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

LLSix posted:

VS on iOS can be really flaky if you close it mid-run. I've never had problems as long as I finish the run though.

I am playing on Steam. Im still having the same issue of unlocking and not being able to save my progression in adventure mode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well how do you even unlock adventure mode?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well how do you even unlock adventure mode?

Gotta survive several minutes in Boss Rash and it drops a new relic, which after you pick it up, unlocks the mode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jossar posted:

Gotta survive several minutes in Boss Rash and it drops a new relic, which after you pick it up, unlocks the mode.

Ok great thanks!

Edit: uh how do you unlock boss rush?

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 7, 2023

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MarcusSA posted:

Ok great thanks!

Edit: uh how do you unlock boss rush?

Unlock hyper mode on all 5 normal stages. You unlock hyper mode on one of those stages by surviving 25 minutes and killing the boss that spawns

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MagusDraco posted:

Unlock hyper mode on all 5 normal stages. You unlock hyper mode on one of those stages by surviving 25 minutes and killing the boss that spawns

Perfect! I can do that easy lol.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Took a while but I read the whole thread. It was interesting to see VS' development and your reactions to it. Discussion of other similar games (I like to call them "monster mulchers") was a bit confusing, though. That said, I have HoloCure and Halls of Torment bookmarked for the future.

Anyway, VS good game.

I started to get a little bored towards the end, honestly. It was really difficult to find my way around the final level with the screen full of crap (and without a map), but I managed to finish it. Was surprised that the unlocks/cheevos didn't cover everything in the game. There wasn't one for completing the collection, or the bestiary, or unlocking all the secret characters (I think I have half of them). Oh well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holocure will possibly be in EA indefinitely - it's a non-profit side project by the solo dev (whose day job is in animation) and it updates once or twice a year. IMO you could just wait till next update, which should be dropping somewhere in early 2024, and give it a try then.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
From The Cracks as this apparently came up on full release back towards the end of September: Crocogame

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2486760/Crocogame/

quote:

Crocogame is a fast-paced roguelite game with rewarding difficulty progression. The player controls cute crocos, with unique stats and ultimate spells in order to defeat deadly enemies on various challenging maps.
GAME FOCUS
The game is balanced around intense moment-to-moment combat, where movement and attack resources must be used efficiently to achieve victory. A big part of the game's progression revolves around stackable difficulty modifiers, which can turn every map harder in exchange for new, cool rewards.
CHARACTER CUSTOMISATION
During gameplay, the player upgrades impactful stats and collects gameplay-altering essences. As the difficulty modifiers stack up, more essence slots are unlocked, leading to unique build combinations with unexpected synergies and explosive results.

FEATURES
Fast runs (~15 minutes each).
10 build-defining stats you can upgrade every time you level up.
6 unique crocos with diverse base stats and ultimate spells.
70+ powerful essences with gameplay-altering effects. You can combine up to 4 of them to create unique builds.
3 playable maps with different challenges.
10 difficulty modifiers for each map to put your skills to the test.
Achievement-based progression. Unlock new crocos, essences, maps and difficulty points by completing achievements on different difficulty levels.
Challenging normal and elite enemies with diverse movesets.
Twin-stick controls for complete immersion in the action.

Can you climb to the top and complete all the maps at the highest difficulty level?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Was surprised that the unlocks/cheevos didn't cover everything in the game.

I'm surprised the most recent update, which adds a ton of content, did not bring any new achievements with it.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
So is anyone having issues with the new patch? I still can not save my progress after unlocking the atlas gate and the new character (Once discovered it still says its locked)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm surprised the most recent update, which adds a ton of content, did not bring any new achievements with it.

Devs said they intentionally didn't add any external achievements so you wouldn't go crazy about not having a 100% for the rest of the year, which is nice for the holidays, all things considered.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jossar posted:

I must be doing something wrong because I’ve survived to the 7 min mark 3 times and it didn’t pop up like it is supposed to.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Start of Early Access for BloodDome99

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2351890/view/3893987507967616695

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

I'm getting pretty sick of feaux retro arcade aesthetics, but this works for me. Gonna give it a shot, especially with that 20% discount (off of $2.80).

edit: it's real good. I think it's more of an arena based rogue-lite than VS-like (mostly because you control your weapons) but upgrades come fast, feel meaningful, and things get very hectic very quickly. There is metacurrency to unlock additional weapons, but nothing you start with feels so underpowered that you have to grind to start having fun. There's a demo so you can give it a spin before pulling the trigger if you want.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 8, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Looks like Picayune Dreams is coming out in four days on December 4th. I enjoyed it as a weird rendercore VS-like with surreal Yume Nikki-style interludes. This is from their 1.0 announcement post:

edit: Having played the demo I really liked the sense of surreality and existential horror that the story seemed to hint at. The character is the only one able to 'defend earth', but is also locked into some kind of infinitely repeating, hellish eternal battle. You know, as it goes.

I've been playing this for about 4 hours now and the metaprogression is interesting but so goddamned slow. Feels like it takes 2 or 3 runs minimum to unlock a single skill point, and in between runs i'm desperately shuffling skill points around to feel like I'm making any kind of progress. I can flawless the first boss no sweat, I'm learning the second boss, have barely touched the third boss. The last couple runs I've gotten so sick of starting with very little gas in the tank + getting absolute garbage on rerolls that i've started dumping all the skill points into rerolls so i can laser-focus one item down, get 8 upgrades, die, and then go take a peek at the new item that unlocked and see if it's interesting.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Yeah, metaprogression is fairly slow and the start of a run even more so. Fast forward button helps with the first like, 3 minutes and usually after that it starts bumping. The survivability upgrade tree can get you really far in a run (3 health vials on pickup, +hp on a boss kill, resist death and live with 1 hp, auto black hole, one extra life), though the "rainbow enemies trigger a chain explosion when they die" can save you a lot of HP too.

I'm currently trying to flawless the first four bosses, so I'm mostly stacking movespeed and XP. Bullet Time (time moves 25% when you're sneaking) is critical.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

been having a very annoying issue with Vampire Survivors. Game wont load from startup and it seems to be hanging on loading my old save from launch

tried turning off cloud saves and deleting my old saves(dont care about losing progress), verifying game files, reinstalling the game, nothing works

not sure what else to try

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Is it just me or is the norseman in HoT hot garbage? Getting to agony 3 in Frozen Depths is slowly driving me crazy. Is the trick to jack up block and defense to avoid damage?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Failboattootoot posted:

Is it just me or is the norseman in HoT hot garbage? Getting to agony 3 in Frozen Depths is slowly driving me crazy. Is the trick to jack up block and defense to avoid damage?

I don't know if he's super weak or I was just building him wrong but I failed getting to agony 3 a bunch with him too because he just doesn't kill stuff fast enough in that level. I ended up having to use that armor piece (I think it's arms?) that makes your abilities 66 percent stronger if you don't attack, turning off auto attacks and just magic needling/radiant auraing everything to death instead and it was so much easier

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Failboattootoot posted:

He is very strong but it all depends on how many upgrades you have purchased. Try running with ice stuff, the newest weapon, the one that has 4 icicles circling you, is extremely strong.

Edit: Maybe it is impossible, I just tried it just to show you how to do it but I barely made it to agony 3 with like 4 minutes to spare and this is with all the blessings, the best equipment etc. I did have really bad luck where I only got avalanche with 4 minutes left but still.
I saw there this is a new update on the experimental branch where they will change how agony decays which should make this easier because the issue is that agony decays so fast on frozen depths. On the other maps its not a problem.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 11, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah the agony update feels great IMO I've been playing on the beta branch and it's night and day. It becomes a DPS race since Agony goes up on its own every 5 minutes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Got it, thanks!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah, metaprogression is fairly slow and the start of a run even more so. Fast forward button helps with the first like, 3 minutes and usually after that it starts bumping. The survivability upgrade tree can get you really far in a run (3 health vials on pickup, +hp on a boss kill, resist death and live with 1 hp, auto black hole, one extra life), though the "rainbow enemies trigger a chain explosion when they die" can save you a lot of HP too.

I'm currently trying to flawless the first four bosses, so I'm mostly stacking movespeed and XP. Bullet Time (time moves 25% when you're sneaking) is critical.

I've given this one a few more days to see if I can go all-in on a certain skill tree, or grab a few important-looking abilities, or something else along those lines, and it's just so miserable

The item pool gets diluted fast, but you can't get rerolls and bans without spending skill points on each extra one of them, which feels like a waste because you have to invest about halfway into a couple skill trees in order to get some of the more useful upgrades. Eventually I get stuck putting up with the same few items I don't want on my build, because the game will just refuse to roll me the Level 2 upgrade to the only weapon that I wanted to grab for that run. I feel heavily at the mercy of the Upgrade RNG way, way worse than the mercy of the Bullet Hell RPG. The number of times that I've died to Boss 3 because I couldn't upgrade a single weapon past Level 3...

I think part of the problem is how unstructured the upgrades are. VS gives you 6 weapons, 6 passives, and chests will, at worst, give you a single level for a weapon or item you already have. Even if you flawless a boss in Picayune, you're still only getting what amounts to a free level-up so if you're light on rerolls/bans, you're going to have to pick through poo poo.

I wanna like it, but I feel like I need to load up cheatengine to give myself 1000 skill points before I'd actually have fun with it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK but seriously I've followed every guide and done everything that should be correct but the adventure mode isn't unlocking in VS.

All of the guides say to just make it to the 7 min mark in Boss Rash and the item will spawn in the middle but I've done it 6 times on different characters and nothing.

I'm clearly doing something wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

OK but seriously I've followed every guide and done everything that should be correct but the adventure mode isn't unlocking in VS.

All of the guides say to just make it to the 7 min mark in Boss Rash and the item will spawn in the middle but I've done it 6 times on different characters and nothing.

I'm clearly doing something wrong here.

I did it for the first time yesterday and it just sorta happened?

Uncheck all the boxes maybe if you have any checkmarked?