Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got some beans the other day, I ask "Hey do you have coffee beans?" and they point at a bag, I'm like great, I don't have to walk further to get the big chain grocery store near me.

I thought they were weirdly coloured but they weren't from Italy so maybe it was just a special way of roasting.

I put some in my grinder and my grinder nearly died. I was like, the gently caress.

I look at the beans again and then it dawns on me, oh my god these are raw beans!

So I've roasted a bunch in my oven, very smokey but the resulting coffee is alright.

What did it smell like ground up? I saw a fresh hay bale get busted up by a tractor on a really hot day once, it was the greenest smell in the world, I bet ground up green beans is close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What did it smell like ground up? I saw a fresh hay bale get busted up by a tractor on a really hot day once, it was the greenest smell in the world, I bet ground up green beans is close.

I honestly don't remember, but it definitely didn't smell like coffee beans! I knew something was wrong when I then went and chewed on one and it was like, chewy and not like brittle like roasted coffee beans.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Eureka Mignon Specialita owning goons, how is the noise like?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

obi_ant posted:

People piss and moan over the Sette 270w, never heard a complaint about the Mignon. I'll ask in the espresso discord.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I have a manuale/notte, and it’s not quiet but it’s quieter than my encore is.

The specialita has noise dampening inside so it should be even quieter.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

obi_ant posted:

That was my previous grinder and it was the quietest that I owned by quite a bit. For possible reference, the other ones I've had were Encore and DF83.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Pretty quiet as grinders go. I owned one for about a year or so and liked it quite a bit for espresso.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the whole block should be alerted that you are making espresso

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
out of a few grinders I've owned/used I think the mignon specialita was the quietest and had the least awful pitch

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hella yeah. Thanks guys!

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 28, 2023

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've decided to stop buying my iced coffees and cold brews out, and start making it at home. I tried this a bit during covid and wasn't quite happy with the results. At the time my ex didn't want to spend the money on a grinder so we used a cheapy blender style thing and I knew it was going to be subpar.

Well I splurged on a Fellow Ode gen 2 (on discount) and ordered 2 Hario cold brew bottles. Got a subscription at 50% off for Counter Cultures Blend box, as their Hologram coffee showed up on a number of articles and it will be in that rotation.

I'm very excited to give it a shot next week when everything finishes arriving.

also for those that find this sort of thing amusing my break even calculation, rounded numbers with tax:
Grinder (300) + bottles (50) + first coffee box (15) x coffee sub @ 64 a month = 365+64x
Starbux Cold brew bottles at store ($8 a week) + Iced Coffee $5x3 a week x 4 weeks = 92 a month
365+64x=92x
~13 months to break even, saving $28 a month from then on
(assuming I keep going with that sub and consume a bag of coffee a week)

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 29, 2023

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Nitramster posted:

I've decided to stop buying my iced coffees and cold brews out, and start making it at home. I tried this a bit during covid and wasn't quite happy with the results. At the time my ex didn't want to spend the money on a grinder so we used a cheapy blender style thing and I knew it was going to be subpar.

Well I splurged on a Fellow Ode gen 2 (on discount) and ordered 2 Hario cold brew bottles. Got a subscription at 50% off for Counter Cultures Blend box, as their Hologram coffee showed up on a number of articles and it will be in that rotation.

I'm very excited to give it a shot next week when everything finishes arriving.

also for those that find this sort of thing amusing my break even calculation, rounded numbers with tax:
Grinder (300) + bottles (50) + first coffee box (15) x coffee sub @ 64 a month = 365+64x
Starbux Cold brew bottles at store ($8 a week) + Iced Coffee $5x3 a week x 4 weeks = 92 a month
365+64x=92x
~13 months to break even, saving $28 a month from then on
(assuming I keep going with that sub and consume a bag of coffee a week)

You're going to be so happy with your decision. Cold brew at home during the hot summer is one of my favorite things and it's so easy to make. Hell, make some fun simple syrup (like cardamom or my personal favorite, lavender) and blend in some nice cream and you're making a sick coffee treat at home for pennies!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
That sounds delicious I might have to experiment with that later too!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've got the Hario too and it does make a nice cold brew. Not that you need anything super special, but I like the design.

Picked up a Nitropress last year and that thing is great, adds a creamy texture. Also fantastic for espresso martinis.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

In anticipation of my new to me Gene Cafe roaster coming within the week, I'm about to order 10 lbs of beans from Sweet Maria's. They've got this deal right now for 5 lbs each from Nicaragua and Mexico plus 10 bags for $66. With shipping, it comes to about $7.50/lb and I'm going to give a bunch of 1/2 lb bags out for Christmas.

Hope I don't gently caress up!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like my TimeMore Sculptor is going to ship in the next couple weeks - I'm excited to dust off the Bambino again now that I'll have a truly stepless grinder to dial in my shots. I just got kinda lazy about dialing in beans every month with our Fellow Opus, which is a great grinder, but not something I'd recommend to somebody primarily using it for expresso. Lately we've been drinking v60 pourover, which we really enjoy.

I guess we're going to be one of "those people" with two grinders - my partner will never use the espresso machine, but she'll make v60 or chemex if I happen to not be around the house, so I want to keep the Opus around so the grind doesn't even need to be touched for either grinder.

I sold our old Baratza Encore to a non-coffee nerd friend of mine when we got the Opus and he was pretty happy with it overall, but he complained about static coffee getting everywhere so I told him about RDTing and he was amazed at how much it helped.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 1, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Corb3t posted:

Looks like my TimeMore Sculptor is going to ship in the next couple weeks - I'm excited to dust off the Bambino again now that I'll have a truly stepless grinder to dial in my shots. I just got kinda lazy about dialing in beans every month with our Fellow Opus, which is a great grinder, but not something I'd recommend to somebody primarily using it for expresso. Lately we've been drinking v60 pourover, which we really enjoy.

I guess we're going to be one of "those people" with two grinders - my partner will never use the espresso machine, but she'll make v60 or chemex if I happen to not be around the house, so I want to keep the Opus around so the grind doesn't even need to be touched for either grinder.

I sold our old Baratza Encore to a non-coffee nerd friend of mine when we got the Opus and he was pretty happy with it overall, but he complained about static coffee getting everywhere so I told him about RDTing and he was amazed at how much it helped.

I did 60g of a light roast on the encore esp and forgot RDT.

Might as well have spread flour on the counter. :shrug:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Corb3t posted:

Looks like my TimeMore Sculptor is going to ship in the next couple weeks - I'm excited to dust off the Bambino again now that I'll have a truly stepless grinder to dial in my shots.

I'm also waiting on mine. It's in batch 7 so past EU customs but it might end up sitting in a warehouse over Christmas for all I know.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm waiting on a 078 in the US and still not sure if or when they're arriving. Sorta sucks that we're literally the last people to get them, but I am still excited for it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/dec/06/scientists-claim-to-have-discovered-secret-to-perfect-espresso

Big news: science has discovered RDT

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've listed my Vario-W for sale in SA Mart if anyone is interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048897

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QSFL5C1kdZHk1inL9

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Coffee is one of the last great inventions of humanity. Doubt anyone can come up with anything more recent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chocolate is pretty close. Or maybe sugar.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Coffee is one of the last great inventions of humanity. Doubt anyone can come up with anything more recent.

Coffee’s 800 years old, which is not to say I disagree

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I've long maintained that home refrigeration is the greatest miracle of the modern age primarily for bringing ice cream to the masses.

Related, a while back I instituted Affogato Fridays in our household, and I will continue to observe despite the chilly weather.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hypnophant posted:

Coffee’s 800 years old, which is not to say I disagree

Pretty sure that plant has been around for a bit. Commercial coffee has been around that long.

Pedant insurance: and people have been brewing tea in Ethiopia for a good long time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Qylvaran posted:

I've long maintained that home refrigeration is the greatest miracle of the modern age primarily for bringing ice cream to the masses.

Related, a while back I instituted Affogato Fridays in our household, and I will continue to observe despite the chilly weather.

The beauty of affogato at home is you can use a cereal bowl of ice cream

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

... with 4 double shots :coffee:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

And Frangelico or amaretto.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

And Frangelico or amaretto.

I think you just outlined dinner.

Maybe some liqor 43

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Qylvaran posted:

Sheeeeit, man, that looks choice. I think it's time to break out the ice cream maker and make some lavender vanilla. I've yet to do some affogato with my new machine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ironically, it actually seems to have some good merit there. The answer seems to be RDT good, but maybe even more so than in the extremely simple way most use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLnB99VJ0HE

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
The holidays are coming up, and I've been thinking about dipping my toes into espresso (not literally).

I use my regular Encore and a Moccamaster every single day, and I love the setup, but from what I've read, I'll need a different grinder if I want to grind well enough for espresso.
For that, I've been looking into the Encore ESP.

For espresso machines, I want something compact, and I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Bambino (regular, non-Plus model), and lo and behold, I saw this!:
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-Bam...73-0e5c1a776d5d

Is this a decent deal for this bundle?

The Encore I have was bought on sale for right around $100 right at the beginning of the year, so it's a shame I can't use it, but I would be willing to part with it if I get the ESP version.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bredfrown posted:

The holidays are coming up, and I've been thinking about dipping my toes into espresso (not literally).

I use my regular Encore and a Moccamaster every single day, and I love the setup, but from what I've read, I'll need a different grinder if I want to grind well enough for espresso.
For that, I've been looking into the Encore ESP.

For espresso machines, I want something compact, and I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Bambino (regular, non-Plus model), and lo and behold, I saw this!:
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-Bam...73-0e5c1a776d5d

Is this a decent deal for this bundle?

The Encore I have was bought on sale for right around $100 right at the beginning of the year, so it's a shame I can't use it, but I would be willing to part with it if I get the ESP version.

I think people generally don't have horrible things to say about the bambino but it sounds like you're expecting to have a 1-grinder household - this won't be the case. You really can't go back and forth between the grind settings because the retained grounds of the incorrect size (especially at this grinder price point) will significantly worsen both coffee experiences. It's no big deal - you already have a setup for drip coffee just think about the space you'll need on the counter for 2 grinders.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'll second that sentiment. Your best bet is to get the encore for pour over and pick up a good hand grinder if you're on a budget.

I like my bambino. I'm only upgrading to something else soon because I'm looking for a beefier machine with a 58mm basket. Won't lie, it's an aesthetic decision.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Profitec Go gets here Tuesday. Pretty pumped.

I love my robot, but time is a precious commodity when I’m trying to handle my kids in the morning and pull some shots.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've got a bead on a nice dual boiler machine. Used, old, but with the mods I want already done and it should be a good kick in the rear end to get my coffee station woodworking project designed.

It's an Izzo Alex Duetto ii, so a circa 2012 machine, but 1300 for a well cared for, updated PID, flow control and pressure gauge on the e61, I think the price might be right.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 11, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not pictured: wife’s keurig and baratza virtuoso for grinding cold brew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nwin posted:

Not pictured: wife’s keurig and baratza virtuoso for grinding cold brew.

How do you like the espresso station? I need one pretty bad, the gaggia portafilter's tabs aren't at 3 and 9 but it looks like that wouldn't be a problem with that one?