Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well they deleted it lmao

Thought you were kidding but nope lol that poo poo's ashes

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/794505/core-truths-how-the-latest-technology-is-not-always-what-it-seems.html

I wonder if the responsible party got regular fired or simply had their keycard stop working on the doors mid-day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They got a promotion and not even one to customer

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
That Intel marketing deck is down-right embarrassing - especially from the company that so successfully convinced people 'i5' or 'i7' has any meaning whatsoever.

I cannot believe the lack of self-awareness on display

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mr.Radar posted:

It was for his janky home setup where he shoved his and his wife's personal PCs, plus a bunch of gaming PCs for his kids, into 1U chassis in his utility room which are connected to monitor/keyboard/etc. via optical thunderbolt cables because he hates fan noise. He has this crazy setup where he's using his in-ground pool to cool them by embedding essentially an in-floor heating loop into the concrete of the pool. He's put out a bunch of videos about this recently due to the leak and all the stuff he's had to do to try to make sure it won't happen again (such as adding a heat exchanger to separate the water flowing through the in-ground loop from the water flowing through the actual watercool components, adding a water filter to the in-ground loop to catch all the random rocks and dirt the construction workers managed to seal inside the in-ground lines when they were installing them, and adding a couple of car radiators to the loop to cool the room itself since the non-watercooled components plus the in-floor heating boiler for his actual house were dumping muiltiple kW of heat into the room pretty much constantly).

I know it's late, but this is some Rube Goldberg-rear end poo poo. Linus shouldn't be left alone with anything more complex than a Macbook Air and even then he might find a way to gently caress that up drop it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lmao it’s always a good time to post Linus’ goofy rear end designs.

Wasn’t his house also built with really bad heating coverage so his kids rooms are basically freezing in the winter? Perhaps not his fault per se more an indictment of the awful Surrey McMansion builders.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Lmao it’s always a good time to post Linus’ goofy rear end designs.

Wasn’t his house also built with really bad heating coverage so his kids rooms are basically freezing in the winter? Perhaps not his fault per se more an indictment of the awful Surrey McMansion builders.

Yeah, I'm gonna pin that one on the construction companies that exist solely to turn ALR land into 18-bedroom houses on the cheap.

But it's entirely possible that Linus hosed something up after the fact during one of his experiments.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

90s Solo Cup posted:

I know it's late, but this is some Rube Goldberg-rear end poo poo. Linus shouldn't be left alone with anything more complex than a Macbook Air and even then he might find a way to gently caress that up drop it.

Believe it or not, he actually did manage to gently caress up a MacBook Air pretty badly in a recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5kZ3VdFDY

The concept for the video (add a "solid state" air mover to one to give it actual active cooling) is sound but in order to make room in the chassis for the cooler he has to basically break half the functionality, and he does a notably worse job of it than the company making the active cooler did on the demo unit they sent over.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
He’s loving up the point of a MacBook Air as well. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna pin that one on the construction companies that exist solely to turn ALR land into 18-bedroom houses on the cheap.

But it's entirely possible that Linus hosed something up after the fact during one of his experiments.

It’s still fun to see the rubes with more money than taste get taken in by those awful giant houses. Also cutting into the ALR and/or removing perfectly good trees from land are huge sore spots for me.

(For those who don’t know, ALR: Agricultural Land Reserve, land that is supposed to have been set aside for farming purposes but more and more developers are getting around it and the supply is getting eaten away)

E: ahahaha oh god that MacBook Air vid. First of all the air doesn’t need an air mover and then he fucks up the install too? Amazing. God’s Perfect Idiot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Three Olives posted:

Laptops used to be expensive as all hell.

I just looked up my 14th birthday present, a PowerBook 3400c/240, apparently $5,500 in 1997 dollars. My parents were clearly insane.

Had to check on an old Dell Inspiron 8100 I have (still works!) that I use for retro gaming & apps. New price in 2001 was almost $3k for that thick 8lb+ monster, only thing I needed to do was get a replacement battery since the original was completely dead. Got it when I was working at an IT MSP & a client had a literal closet full of old-rear end equipment they were sending to recycle, too bad I didn't get to go through the rest to see what other artifacts were there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Had to check on an old Dell Inspiron 8100 I have (still works!) that I use for retro gaming & apps. New price in 2001 was almost $3k for that thick 8lb+ monster, only thing I needed to do was get a replacement battery since the original was completely dead. Got it when I was working at an IT MSP & a client had a literal closet full of old-rear end equipment they were sending to recycle, too bad I didn't get to go through the rest to see what other artifacts were there.
The first PC my parents got me was a P2-350, 10GB WD drive and 32MB of RAM so roughly in this ballpark.

It was from a local brand but my dad somehow managed to get an HP 15" LCD monitor with it. I'd rather not know how much that cost.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mobby_6kl posted:

The first PC my parents got me was a P2-350, 10GB WD drive and 32MB of RAM so roughly in this ballpark.

It was from a local brand but my dad somehow managed to get an HP 15" LCD monitor with it. I'd rather not know how much that cost.

The fact that your first computer was a P2 makes me feel incredibly old.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cyrano4747 posted:

Was probably most peoples here - what was yours, in the 80s?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vintersorg posted:

Was probably most peoples here - what was yours, in the 80s?

Mine was a Vic-20. Don't worry though I had the 8k ram expansion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't worry I'm an old too. This is just the first pc that was new and mine. I had a hand-me-down from a cousin that I can't ID retroactively (had to launch from DOS off 5.56" floppies though) in the early 90s and then my dad occasionally brought some kind of P-1 laptop that I got to play with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

:hfive: cassette drive bois

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Macintosh Classic II

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

priznat posted:

:hfive: cassette drive bois

DATASETTE, man. Call it by its name

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fil5000 posted:

Sweet, mine too. And a bunch of tapes and a few cartridges. I played so much Omega Race on that thing. And it started me on my programming journey that now has me writing JavaScript code today. gently caress. Curse that thing. I should have had a Nintendo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I remember overclocking a Pentium 75mhz to 90mhz so that HOMM3's random map generator would run faster. The stupid thing would crash from the heat, so we pointed a box fan at the open chassis. Back then you had to use jumpers to overclock, I remember learning about it just to get HOMM working on my poo poo hardware.

I think that was my 3rd computer, but I can't remember what spec the other ones were. They for sure were recycled parts my dad stole from work before they were thrown in the garbage. I had a 486 I think, and even one earlier than that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Macintosh Classic II

:hfive: I've still got one here and it's 99% functional! Only thing that's not working is the internal speaker.

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023
*laughs in single core*

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

:hfive: I've still got one here and it's 99% functional! Only thing that's not working is the internal speaker.

oh that's rad. The one we had at home got supplanted by a pizza box Performa of some sort in 1995, and then we got a Dell XPS for Chrimbus '99. And then some time in like 2004 my dad took them both to the transfer station after they'd both spent some years in the garage :smith:

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I remember overclocking a Pentium 75mhz to 90mhz so that HOMM3's random map generator would run faster.

This was me with my first computer, but it was so the 45 minute timed defence missions in Brood War didn’t take an hour and a half to run down. An IBM Aptiva, in my case, and it was a jumper to push the front side bus clock up IIRC.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the first pc in our house was some beige Dell box with a p3 or p4 running windows 98. it came with a free copy of rogue squadron 3D

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

the first pc in our house was some beige Dell box with a p3 or p4 running windows 98. it came with a free copy of rogue squadron 3D

so did our XPS.

and yahtzee, which I played way too much of

my dad had a shareware copy of Wolfenstein 3D on the Performa that I was allowed to play on Saturday mornings before my mom woke up

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

3des these nuts posted:

*laughs in single core*
*laughs in single megahertz*

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
*laughs in single line of display*

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Gamers Nexus is putting all the charts on their site :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4syyUiBG5I

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dunno exactly what the specs were but my dad had a desktop in '93 that was our first home computer. Still have fond memories of the first time playing DOOM. I think our second computer was around '95-96, it was an Acer desktop package with a 15" monitor, an old Pentium 100, 4MB EDO memory & I think like a 1.5GB HDD. I played so much Quake & DOOM online on that thing especially after dad upgraded the hard drive & doubled the memory to a whopping 8MB.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The fun part about talking about first computers is that there's basically always someone to one-up the last person. Someone will talk about their P2, I'll talk about my Apple IIe, someone will talk about their Atari, eventually you get to some old gently caress talking about punch cards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The fun part about talking about first computers is that there's basically always someone to one-up the last person. Someone will talk about their P2, I'll talk about my Apple IIe, someone will talk about their Atari, eventually you get to some old gently caress talking about punch cards.

The first computer my dad bought was the Kaypro II

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaypro

We had that till he upgraded to some 286 then a 386.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember my dad bringing home a laptop from work at a time when most people had never seen a laptop in real life, and they were definitely only for "serious business people".

It ran Windows 3.1, and any time he had it at home I immediately commandeered it to play Chips Challenge

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Listen, can you really say that you know how to program a computer if you haven't written out programming for a never-finished analytical engine?"
Ada Lovelace, if she had access to the modern-day internet, probably.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

First real computer was an Amiga 500 and it was awesome. 4096 colours while all my friends had cga/evga at best 286s or less.

Just a classic machine for everything, games, music, demos, learning computer architecture when you took off the case to push in the DIP socketed cpu that would sometimes work free due to heat, lol.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The first computer my dad bought was a TI-99/4A. We only hooked it up and tried to use it a few times though. I still have it. The first computers I really used would have been an Apple IIe at school, and the 486 we got when I was 12.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hello, one of my early temp jobs in HS was to help the local US Passport office offload data off of, of all things, paper tape

Some of that paper tape had to be pieced together as it was stored in a damp basement, the exact environment you shouldn't keep paper in

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For what it's worth, my first computer was a Commodore 128, and our first PC was was a Pentium 166 with a disabled Turno button.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I remember my dad having both a green-screen remote terminal and a black and white mac laptop, both for work.

The first real computer we had around was a Macintosh Performa 450, and I played countless hours of Sim City 2000 and Civilization on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I remember my dad bringing home a laptop from work at a time when most people had never seen a laptop in real life, and they were definitely only for "serious business people".

It ran Windows 3.1, and any time he had it at home I immediately commandeered it to play Chips Challenge

my uncle had a similar laptop. my favorite use for it was a program that would display Christmas lights around the border of the screen. mesmerizing