Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tonetta posted:

this is the exact reason I'm done for the season lol. blizzard's typical formula of locking the shiny new content behind hundrends of hours of grinding while giving the previous content out like they were hand-me-downs from older siblings is extremely cringe, and also just straight up doesn't work for an event that goes away.

Yeah. It just doesn’t sound fun at all and my character isn’t strong enough to do it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They said they were going to look at items, relax!

(In 2 seasons lol)

Yes but like look at their creations, and look into you heart and envision that overhaul

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

Hit Man posted:

Zir Feedback: Way overtuned. Like way way overtuned. Can't even tell what killed you half the time. You basically have to have a busted build/playing immortal with selig to push this. Most players will not beat tier 1

Do you think a Ball Sorcerer could beat Zir?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kaxman posted:

One of the 3 wave patterns starts with a wave right on you so if you don't move at the right time you just die the instant the waves spawn.

But I mean...Lilith flying into the air is the cue. That means you're in danger. A wave attack is coming.
No. I have tried it while moving, while sitting still, while sitting close to where she took off, while sitting far from where she took off, while moving around the edge of the fight area, while moving in a circle in the middle of the fight area. Nothing matters. She takes off, I die. Every time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Gin posted:

They did a decked out ball Sorc in the dev campfire. It made it through tier 1 but almost died on the boss. Then they ramped up to tier 10 and it didn’t do enough damage to kill elites quickly enough to keep up with the timer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No. I have tried it while moving, while sitting still, while sitting close to where she took off, while sitting far from where she took off, while moving around the edge of the fight area, while moving in a circle in the middle of the fight area. Nothing matters. She takes off, I die. Every time.
Are you on PC or console? Getting the same thing on PS5.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao at that 325 hours to level up. Assuming 8 hours a day of play you would just barely hit 50 before the season ends on January 23.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

surely there is some middle ground between everything being piss easy and insanely overtuned and poopsocky

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

surely there is some middle ground between everything being piss easy and insanely overtuned and poopsocky

There are no middle ground in ARPGs. That's what I've been told

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Gin posted:

Yes, you may get to tier 7. Likely you'll get to 4-5 and run out of sigil powder.

And I have a decked out ball sorc with all defensives. Max resists, 16k armour, Vyr's, 14k life. If you can do tier 100 NMD easy, you need to be even more defensive, but still it's so overturned you're gonna die to one-shots, suppressors, bows from across the room.

I even put on a selig and that gets you a little farther but the damage is too high and it eats through it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Are you on PC or console? Getting the same thing on PS5.
PC. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

For additional context, this is with a Walking Arsenal Barb where I can drop 35m+ crit overpowers on command. I just ran a tier 97 NMD last night without dying once. Its not a build issue, but it sounds like its a form of skill issue.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hit Man posted:

Yes, you may get to tier 7. Likely you'll get to 4-5 and run out of sigil powder.

And I have a decked out ball sorc with all defensives. Max resists, 16k armour, Vyr's, 14k life. If you can do tier 100 NMD easy, you need to be even more defensive, but still it's so overturned you're gonna die to one-shots, suppressors, bows from across the room.

I even put on a selig and that gets you a little farther but the damage is too high and it eats through it

Corpse bows are back baby! Simply turn on your sound duhh

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Grimacing in discomfort every time I'm told that I need to have headphones and game sound on to tune into the worst designed enemy in the game in a genre almost tailor made to be played while zoning out with a podcast or going hard and fast as hell to high BPM music.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's pretty amazing that they were essentially given the blueprint for Greater Rifts for 10 years ago, copied it line by line, then proceeded to make it worse with every D4-style addition.

Yeah this is something I dont understand, why not just use that system? It was great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well you see there's a 4 on the box now so that's illegal

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I never played D3 so only sorta know what Greater Rifts are/were but all I want is end game content I can just log in and do without having to fiddle with poorly designed sigils with dumbass affixes or needing to grind consumables to access a boss it takes me 30 seconds to kill.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I never played D3 so only sorta know what Greater Rifts are/were but all I want is end game content I can just log in and do without having to fiddle with poorly designed sigils with dumbass affixes or needing to grind consumables to access a boss it takes me 30 seconds to kill.

They were that!

Like I guess technically you needed the keys or whatever but yeah, GRs owned.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah for some reason it seems like they didn’t think people liked d3. People love that game

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

You would >love< d3, seriously. Give it a whirl if you have it or it’s cheap

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Season 30 of D3 will probably start in January. Conveniently, it'll be around the same time the darkening of Tristram starts and brings back the cathedral dungeon. It's playing through D1 but you're a D3 class, it's pretty cool to level a fresh seasonal character in there!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Question: Where Flame Shield and some other abilities say they make you immune, does that include Uber Lilith's instakills?

yeah mostly. i didn't experience it firsthand but saw more than one HC RIP clip of sorcs in the preseason dying with flame shield available. i want to say it even only procs after cheat death potion (or maybe alongside?) making it riskier to run. i haven't kept up to see if any of this has changed so that info is pretty old. as far as i know getting caught on a platform that disappears/collapses does not count as a death in the normal way and so fire shield and cheat death potion do nothing to prevent it

i never had any issues with blood mist on my necro avoiding everything. in fact it was normally easier to run outside the ring to make sure i'd walk back into a clear spot, since going outside the ring is just high damage taken/second and not an insta death like falling off

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

1. What’s the fastest way to level to 100?
2. What should I do next, generally?

So far I have a level 60 necromancer. I have beat the campaign for the first time. I maxed renown for all regions for the first time. I found all Lilith statues. I am in world tier 3.

I started the season quest and just unlocked vampire powers.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 6, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

flashman posted:

They think the season journey quests are content and this is just a little bonus for someone who ran out lol

isn't it though?

before AoZ people had a pretty positive view of S2. kill vampires in new world event with new powers, level up to max for the first time, kill new bosses and ubers a few times, maybe even roll a second class for the first time since release.

are those same people, the ones who didn't want to do stuff like level 5 glyphs, the same target audience for the Jay Wilson "And Then We Doubled It" endgame dungeon? it seems to me that AoZ is explicitly a little bonus for those people who have been saying they want harder/infinite/more D3-like endgame content, as a little near-end-of-season update. at least that's how i'm reading the intent, even if it's poorly done and not tested before dropping hot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

Blizzard just learning on the fly on what to do is certainly a thing

We’re all learning about how to make together

edit: make games. Thank you for your feedback, this is why community help is so important

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 6, 2023

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Well this has been a train wreck and a half with glyphs and AoZ. Here's to S3...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think they repeated the nightmare dungeon mistake with abbatoir. Giving it the number 1 to 50 instead of a literal infinite scalar

If there's a finite number of tiers, every class needs to be able to do all 50 tiers, or else it's a bug, that class needs fixing because it's broken. Bliizard, fix sorc now, it can't complete 50 out of 50, when can I expect bug fix

If every class can do all 50, there's no end game it's boring just give me greater Rifts where I can do them to Infinity

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Maybe the company that is older than the people they most appeal to, should have a grasp on the concept of video game making and their top 2 content creators shouldn't be their qa

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That would require retaining talent

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ornery and Hornery posted:

1. What’s the fastest way to level to 100?
2. What should I do next, generally?

So far I have a level 60 necromancer. I have beat the campaign for the first time. I maxed renown for all regions for the first time. I found all Lilith statues. I am in world tier 3.

I started the season quest and just unlocked vampire powers.

Work towards getting the vampire quest done and then towards wt4. Nmds are good too but don't burn out on them too quick.

Once you get a nice set of ancestral gear going, you can grind nmds and helltides for xp.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

harrygomm posted:

isn't it though?

before AoZ people had a pretty positive view of S2. kill vampires in new world event with new powers, level up to max for the first time, kill new bosses and ubers a few times, maybe even roll a second class for the first time since release.

are those same people, the ones who didn't want to do stuff like level 5 glyphs, the same target audience for the Jay Wilson "And Then We Doubled It" endgame dungeon? it seems to me that AoZ is explicitly a little bonus for those people who have been saying they want harder/infinite/more D3-like endgame content, as a little near-end-of-season update. at least that's how i'm reading the intent, even if it's poorly done and not tested before dropping hot

The abilities and areas, items, etc are content, checklists are not

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Gin posted:

yeah. like Ehud/Hit Man said, you'll probably peter out before 10. in the first day, there are plenty of streamer types who've gotten meta builds to the 12-15 range, excluding things like invincible selig-reliant gimmicks. my guess is that people who haven't made it their job to play diablo will probably cap out around half as high for any given build, but i bet the powder is going to be a much bigger roadblock than the tier. getting telestomped at the end and having to restart has been a common complaint.

yesterday people were having to reroll if they don't get good shrines to help them clear, but again that's probably not in the cards for most people. still a powder roadblock though

Doomykins posted:

Grimacing in discomfort every time I'm told that I need to have headphones and game sound on to tune into the worst designed enemy in the game in a genre almost tailor made to be played while zoning out with a podcast or going hard and fast as hell to high BPM music.

post an armory link. dying to corpse bows in non-AoZ content is entirely avoidable with either gear or skill. i play almost exclusively without sound and can't recall the last time i've been one shot by anything i couldn't see coming

i don't even think bows are in the list of mobs i pay particular attention to

drowned guy with big pole that he smashes down can two shot me (initial damage + knockback of the wave)
bloodseeker druids that can tele stun + tornado daze + earth spike stun which can catch you out if you use CC break at the wrong time
standing spider host death explosion poison. still takes about a second to kill me with max poison res.
plains hornets and porcupines. spawn in packs and one wave from a pack in a crowded area can be trouble

corpse axe/corpse bow/tree guy/blood bishop projectile/scorpion boss flurry attack/all other? wind up attacks do significant damage but i don't have to change anything to avoid dying to them

flashman posted:

The abilities and areas, items, etc are content, checklists are not

yup. i was addressing the second half of your sentence

flashman posted:

...this is just a little bonus for someone who ran out lol

it seems like Aoz is exactly a little bonus for someone who has run out of other content, regardless of definition, but maybe i misunderstood something

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 6, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Corpse bows are primarily a threat to builds that have to remain motionless, attacking the same enemy multiple times before it will die

(OGs know this means you need more Offense, not Defense)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

harrygomm posted:

post an armory link. dying to corpse bows in non-AoZ content is entirely avoidable with either gear or skill. i play almost exclusively without sound and can't recall the last time i've been one shot by anything i couldn't see coming

I skipped this season after all so I'm keeping the smug snipe posting down but I'm just being coy about the repeated advice to "just turn your sound on." This isn't exactly Dead By Daylight(a game where a good bit of sound caught by headphone can win you the match) or an immersive game with a need for very careful observation.

I'll stick by designing enemies that shoot off screen paired with a camera where a majority of the playerbase begs for a zoom out as being in poor taste. It doesn't matter whether or not they kill me, they didn't in Season 1 as a Barb.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

harrygomm posted:

yup. i was addressing the second half of your sentence

it seems like Aoz is exactly a little bonus for someone who has run out of other content, regardless of definition, but maybe i misunderstood something

Its locked behind the seasonal journey when it's one of three activities to do at the end game.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Corpse bows are primarily a threat to builds that have to remain motionless, attacking the same enemy multiple times before it will die

(OGs know this means you need more Offense, not Defense)

agreed. there aren't many channeling builds either, and all i've seen of them has been unfun. i don't think the blood puddle vampire power would add enough defensive oof to make up for having to be so immobile

Doomykins posted:

I skipped this season after all so I'm keeping the smug snipe posting down but I'm just being coy about the repeated advice to "just turn your sound on." This isn't exactly Dead By Daylight(a game where a good bit of sound caught by headphone can win you the match) or an immersive game with a need for very careful observation.

I'll stick by designing enemies that shoot off screen paired with a camera where a majority of the playerbase begs for a zoom out as being in poor taste. It doesn't matter whether or not they kill me, they didn't in Season 1 as a Barb.

i think a lot of what i post comes across as a defense of the game which i ultimately don't mean it to. i like playing it in spite of itself. if there are ways to work around stupid parts, like the bad design of off-screen, high-damage mobs or pinnacle boss one-shot nonsense, i like to focus on the meat of those. i don't think corpse bows are a good mob. from an accessibility standpoint, having a subset of mobs designed to be countered best with audio cues seems subpar. i'm guessing the CC equivalent in DbD also is insufficient to help pull out that info like with D4?

flashman posted:

Its locked behind the seasonal journey when it's one of three activities to do at the end game.

yeah i guess it's a misunderstanding on my part somehow. in order to do the pinnacle difficult thing, you have to have done the stuff that would complete the journey afaict. generally it probably shouldn't be locked behind a gate like that, and there should probably be more end game content in general. but since you need to have done basically everything in the season journey to even begin to have a character ready for AoZ :shrug: it seems very much like bonus content for people who have done everything else this season

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

flashman posted:

Scanning for "Problems"...

drat this thing usually goes "beep" lol

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I wonder how much staff turnover has happened and if all of the people who knew what they were doing left. It is really impressive how bad their judgement is with all of this though lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

harrygomm posted:

i'm guessing the CC equivalent in DbD also is insufficient to help pull out that info like with D4?

It's a different type of game most notable and relevant as a comparison because the killer role benefits enormously from wearing good headphones with in-game sound on, hearing a crutch sound or two and getting a survivor you'd otherwise miss is huge.

In an ARPG... not so much. I'll play content once to hear it and then nerdy electronic music is go. RIP to people doing couch co-op and trying to hear a corpse bow wind up from a TV speaker!

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Tier seven sigils for AoZ cost 1100 powder to make and give 2250 when recycled, because?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gUvRKkMME4

Edit: old news, already fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

It certainly is something for players to go from breezing NMD 100 and watching world bosses and Duriel die in a seconds to get completely destroyed in the overtuned AoZ

And then you can't even play test a build in AoZ because you're out of sigil powder by the time you may have something viable.

Then leveling the glyph only gives .002%, yes only .002% each level (which was nerfed from %.02, lol). Incredible.

Also it will only take 325 hours to max the glyph. Yes, only 325 hours :stare:
https://youtu.be/Hephk4cGE8U?si=b-xJv1ZBDKgsgsla

Good content design imo, some of the best yet