Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

You know you pay way too much attention to your team when you're familiar with a guy they just lost in the second round of the MiLB portion of the Rule 5 draft, lmao.

I only know Seth Beer because his amazing name and also he was our first rounder in 2018 and also he was one of the centerpieces of the Zack Greinke trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Deyvison seems like an ok pick up. a 3B/1B is gonna be blocked by Hosey at the hot corner but maybe he can come up as a decent 1B guy as we try to move Naylor to DH or something.

I don't really know if Ty Brown or Connor Gillaspie are good pickups but ehhh, whatever. It's the Rule 5 and the guys we lost were about as bad. Kind of a wash.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

No Safe Word posted:

I only know Seth Beer because his amazing name and also he was our first rounder in 2018 and also he was one of the centerpieces of the Zack Greinke trade.

Oh that wasn't a shot at people talking about Beer, it was self-derision over the fact that I know who Andy Weber is.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Twitter thought he was going to go 1.1 after a video of him hitting bombs was posted.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monathin posted:

Deyvison seems like an ok pick up. a 3B/1B is gonna be blocked by Hosey at the hot corner but maybe he can come up as a decent 1B guy as we try to move Naylor to DH or something.

I would expect nothing from him in the field, but that dude can beat the absolute piss out of the ball, his performance in the 2022 AzFL HR derby was absolutely hilarious.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1732499371135029361

Wild how much he gets every season

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

He’s terrible . Like should not be in the league bad

(Craig)

Pretty sure he led the majors in pitch clock violations

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Should I be surprised the Jays aren't included on that Yamamoto list? Kinda assumed they'd be in on any big name this winter, and Kikuchi would give them a potential added edge in making themselves an attractive option.

And bawfuls, while I agree that it's media hyperbole re: Dave's comments, I can see why the Ohtani camp may give it some tangible weight when making a decision. Shohei & Co know he's worth a half-billion as a bare minimum, and arguably over a billion when long-term team value and merchandising and local TV (including because all the contenders have their own network iirc?) and such are factored in. So making requests of the organizations to demonstrate a willingness to provide Shohei his preferred amount of privacy and secrecy is arguably part of the negotiation, since it seems to be something Shohei ascribes a notable value to, far more than other FAs.

Anyways, I don't think it would be a deal-breaker, but it could be something that gives them pause and prompts them to reconsider the peripheral components of other offers.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
O's sign Kimbrel to 1/12 with a club option for 13m and a 1m buyout. :confuoot:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dirty craig

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The Orioles front office, watching Craig Kimbrel have consecutive meltdowns in the playoffs, realized they found their man.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kimbrel can absolutely be relied on to never be reliable

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

personally I love to see dirty craig pop up in the playoffs, it's like an unexpected Walken cameo in a movie in 1997

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

This means Maldy won't be back even as a backup so it's a great signing

The best signing

Diaz gets traded so Maldy is C1 :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dirty Craig threw a 132 ERA+ this season, not sure why everyone is convinced he's toast.

Ok yes, he was very bad in the playoffs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/IamTrevorMay/status/1732477399290572961

Trev got the card! The MLB gold card is such a cool idea. I mean from a fan perspective, idk how much ex-ballplayers wanna go sit in the stands at ballpark.

40% of the way to mine!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Popete posted:

Dirty Craig threw a 132 ERA+ this season, not sure why everyone is convinced he's toast.

Kimbrel was legit good in the first half of the season but was clearly overused and running on fumes by the end of it. Lot of his second half success was luck more than anything

He is absolutely a dude who needs a mid season phantom IL stint

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1732499414323748959?s=46&t=eZQOkEBzAB8XR0_j5bQcHg

Longest "fairly soon" ever

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/IamTrevorMay/status/1732477399290572961

Trev got the card! The MLB gold card is such a cool idea. I mean from a fan perspective, idk how much ex-ballplayers wanna go sit in the stands at ballpark.

I like that the special issuances of this card are as follows:

1) Teddy Roosevelt - card was actually 14k gold, he never used it.
2) Charles Lindbergh - flew across a big loving ocean
3) All 52 hostages held at the US Embassy in Tehran

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

kalensc posted:

Anyways, I don't think it would be a deal-breaker, but it could be something that gives them pause and prompts them to reconsider the peripheral components of other offers.

It's a tiebreaker kind of thing. He wants control of his own sphere, but it won't come into play unless he's 50/50 on a choice for all the other reasons.

I'll take anything that increases the odds that he re-signs, though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Red posted:

The Orioles front office, watching Craig Kimbrel have consecutive meltdowns in the playoffs, realized they found their man.

well the good news is he's a closer for the Orioles which means he will finish the season with 162 up-downs and 0.0 IP

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't loving want Trent Grisham. He's the exact kind of dogshit player Boone will play 5 times a week.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MaoistBanker posted:

Apparently also 24 of the first 28 astronauts as well

Sporting News circa 1965 posted:

Commissioner Ford Frick arrived for the league opener. Twenty-four of the nation's 28 astronauts were presented lifetime passes, good in all major league parks, preceding the season's inaugural.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

Man I wish I had been kidnapped by Islamist forces in Iran in 1980 :negative:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm OK with a Kimbrel coin flip

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1732505666223305124

Why do they want Higashioka?

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
trent grisham has bad facial hair so the yankees are a natural fit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently they need a catcher

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

trent grisham has bad facial hair so the yankees are a natural fit

His moustache is amazing how dare you.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

they played gary sanchez 70+ games last season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate Verdugo. I hate the “we have to get Soto and everything depends on him and he will save us!” nonsense. I dread a Soto/Verdugo defensive OF. Guess Judge has to keep playing CF? That will help him hold up. Better hope no SPs get hurt. That never happens. I hate the entire current atmosphere around this team, fanbase; media, and haters. Ugh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Popete posted:

Another nail in the coffin of advanced stats

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I hate Verdugo. I hate the “we have to get Soto and everything depends on him and he will save us!” nonsense. I dread a Soto/Verdugo defensive OF. Guess Judge has to keep playing CF? That will help him hold up. Better hope no SPs get hurt. That never happens. I hate the entire current atmosphere around this team, fanbase; media, and haters. Ugh.

I understand not wanting to root for Verdugo since it seems like he's a shithead but baseball wise it's a no brainer. I don't understand how getting Soto is bad. He's a 26 year old hall of famer. (They also need to do other stuff so if they think that Soto alone saves them I agree with you that they are wrong)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Another nail in the coffin of advanced stats

I don't think ERA+ counts as an advanced stat, it's just ERA normalized. His 3.26 ERA is pretty good for a reliever.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

To back up Campusano.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I understand not wanting to root for Verdugo since it seems like he's a shithead but baseball wise it's a no brainer. I don't understand how getting Soto is bad. He's a 26 year old hall of famer. (They also need to do other stuff so if they think that Soto alone saves them I agree with you that they are wrong)

No it isn't, Verdugo is a JAG. I'd rather roll the dice on Lee and see what he can do.

MLBN still bitching about Ohtani and now trying to bang the drum of "you can't pay one guy that much :qq: "

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m not gonna sit here and say “Juan Soto is bad” or something. But he’s a rental who costs pretty much all the Yankees mlb SP depth and combined with Verdugo in CF(?) makes for a bad defense and yet another guy who long term should probably be the DH.

Mostly I just don’t like the way Soto has become an all or nothing litmus test for the Yankees when I’m not convinced Bellinger at a lower cost and better defense and not giving anyone up isn’t the better big picture move. No he’s not Soto. I’m not pretending he is. And hopefully Soto will have w good season and do half of the transformative lineup things Yankee Universe has convinced he will or save them from the trash fire baseball media and culture have decided the Yankees are. But I’m down on the whole thing.

And I’m sorry I need to very much be convinced why Verdugo deserves some kind of “don’t want him” exception. Verdugo? Really?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bellinger would have been a wildy insane risk IMO. He has not been a consistant preformer over his career.

Nodoze posted:

No it isn't, Verdugo is a JAG. I'd rather roll the dice on Lee and see what he can do.

MLBN still bitching about Ohtani and now trying to bang the drum of "you can't pay one guy that much :qq: "

If he's a JAG when what do you call the guys the Yankees were playing in the OF last season? The idea of a Yankee fan making GBS threads on a 105 OPS+ career lefty outfield bat after what they have been trotting out there is dumb to me. He's not the be all end all but I think he'll be a usefull piece and not embarrass himself. Now if Trent Grisham is playing a lot that is a big issue but hopefully JD is back by the second half and Verdugo becomes a part time player.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when is the last time someone as good as Soto was traded with 1 yr left in his contract in the offseason and did not immediately sign a huge extension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

No thanks to Bellinger, he's a pumpkin waiting to happen.

Verdugo, probably, won't be put in CF. I imagine he's gonna play right field with Judge in CF and Stanton DH. Maybe they find someone to take Stanton (lol) and then Soto can DH