Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm on PC and yeah the shop finally doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011
So the new apprentice reward track they launched today absolutely showers new players with goodies. You get 3 full value decks to keep, 10 catchup packs, 15 or so standard packs, 650 gold. By the time you finish the track, if you pick the right decks (Hunter on the first choice, Mage on the second, Warrior on the third) you will have 3 very good meta decks (Arcane Hunter, Rainbow Mage, Control Warrior) and more than 50% of all cards in standard. You'll be competitive with the best decks out there without spending a penny.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Really enjoying the spells. Along with the barrier lasting longer, I think they help in giving flexibility to builds and not feeling terrible when tavern rolls don't go your way. A lot of good options for discovering new minions, powering up your own, and the Maximum Gold spell is a great find early. Now if a build doesn't come together, it feels like it's my fault rather than the frustration of finally getting the engine together, only to lose in the next battle.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

They FINALLY offer Gold Wild packs. gently caress yes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah also it took them long enough but the shop actually has a functional layout now, doesn't cause my iPad to slow to a crawl, and doesn't involve dealing with greased-up slippery scrollbar where the slightest touch makes the screen violently jerk around. It's incredible how bad the shop was lol and I absolutely bought less poo poo because of it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

no VS report this week, apparently Zach O hates the current standard meta so much he's barely touched the game

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

no VS report this week, apparently Zach O hates the current standard meta so much he's barely touched the game

I'm with him, I had higher expectations for this set as I really liked the theme.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What’s wrong with the current meta?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What’s wrong with the current meta?

It's not as good as Wild.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
For people who don't play Wild that's a pretty meaningless distinction.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Conceding that it’s all down to personal taste, this is a weird format to get disillusioned over. This time last year I thought it was substantially worse, and two years ago it was nearly unplayable. This year there are some obnoxious play patterns, but nothing to write home about.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm also on the "metas not THAT bad" side of the fence

I think Paladins are still a bit strong but there's still room for a nice range of meta and off-meta decks

For instance here's a mashup of ABJ hunter and Deathrattle hunter that's been fun to play:

### Hybrid
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Awakening Tremors
# 2x (1) Thornmantle Musician
# 1x (2) Always a Bigger Jormungar
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Messenger Buzzard
# 2x (2) Observer of Myths
# 2x (2) Selective Breeder
# 2x (3) Fable Stablehand
# 2x (3) Harpoon Gun
# 2x (3) Hawkstrider Rancher
# 2x (4) Stonebound Gargon
# 2x (4) Twisted Frostwing
# 2x (4) Yelling Yodeler
# 1x (5) Magatha, Bane of Music
# 1x (6) Aggramar, the Avenger
# 1x (6) Defense Attorney Nathanos
# 2x (6) Hollow Hound
# 1x (7) Huntsman Altimor
#
AAECAZ/DAwa+4wTE7QTipAXm5AWZ9gXX+QUM6ukDg8gEvOMEhaoF5soFj+QF8OgFl/YFm/YFyPYF344GgJUGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

But I've also had fun with Taunt Warrior, Rainbow DK, Relic DH, and even a Lightshow Mage.

I think the difference between the capital-m Meta decks and the tier 3-4 decks isn't as pronounced as it has been in other expansions, which I enjoy. I also think there's lots of personal agency in the deck-building especially for the Reno decks.

And if you really really hate Paladin you can always play Enrage Warrior and stomp them hard

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ranked Wild meta right now seems to be even shaman totem bots and people playing around that. It's weird to have a whole meta designed to hate on one singular deck but... those bots ain't doing so good anymore and everyone else is having fun.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
There's not a good Rogue deck in standard right now is there?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mech rogue is still functional with the thunderbringer pre-expansion lists, and lists that toy with kingpin pud or secret/excavate hybrids aren't very good but generally don't actively poo poo the bed, but that's pretty much it. wishing well is just a meme. https://hsreplay.net/decks/#playerClasses=ROGUE&gameType=RANKED_STANDARD

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I've been doing wild exclusively (and duels/arena when i have the gold) and I've been really tired of infinite timewarp mages and mill decks. Other than that, it's p. cool.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

World War Mammories posted:

not broken in terms of game balance, broken in terms of making the game crash

mark mckz, for example - couple years old, but still - poo poo starts going awry around 8:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nSDAPhqflQ

There were bugs with Madame Goya that could turn your goddamn HERO into a minion. It was absolutely insane.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What's the consensus on the max number of spells you can run to use Magatha? Four? Three?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What's the consensus on the max number of spells you can run to use Magatha? Four? Three?

It really depends on how much use your opponent can get out of your spells.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yestermoment posted:

I've been doing wild exclusively (and duels/arena when i have the gold) and I've been really tired of infinite timewarp mages and mill decks. Other than that, it's p. cool.

Yeah those drag down wild more than anything else for me.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
As a guy who shifted to casual wild on the MotLK meta, I think this standard meta is pretty good in comparison. The year of the wolf has, in my opinion, had better standard metas than the past couple. However, it seems like the minisets never really do it for me, so I retreat to Wild more often when they come out. I'm weird.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Desert Bus posted:

It really depends on how much use your opponent can get out of your spells.

And it’s important to realize that drawing three or four cards is still good even if your opponent gets some. It can be tilting, but still a high-value play. Like drawing Patches, it’s more of a psychological hang-up than one that affects the power level of the card.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Olpainless posted:

There were bugs with Madame Goya that could turn your goddamn HERO into a minion. It was absolutely insane.

That's crazy and I have never heard about that. Are there videos of that happening? What even is the interaction?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Oenis posted:

That's crazy and I have never heard about that. Are there videos of that happening? What even is the interaction?

Check out this beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl11iqagWIc

Weasel tunneler enabled the worst of it in this case, but interestingly, this even reveals some stuff the game can handle that's interesting - for instance, technically, minions could have weapons and armour!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

that's very weird take.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

bravesword posted:

Conceding that it’s all down to personal taste, this is a weird format to get disillusioned over. This time last year I thought it was substantially worse, and two years ago it was nearly unplayable. This year there are some obnoxious play patterns, but nothing to write home about.

Yeah I don't think it is necessarily bad, I just don't really enjoy any of the decks (playing or facing).

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I used to really like the highlander decks, I still quite enjoy playing as them but not really enjoying playing against them.

I think it might be as it feels like there is less opportunity for guessing what's in your opponents hand and playing round it, as they only have 1 of everything and there is more deck variation.

So it's more like 'we'll both play our best card each turn until someone wins' rather than 'based on the meta and what I've seen them play, their game plan is x, so I need to do y to counter it and win'.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

bravesword posted:

And it’s important to realize that drawing three or four cards is still good even if your opponent gets some. It can be tilting, but still a high-value play. Like drawing Patches, it’s more of a psychological hang-up than one that affects the power level of the card.

At worst it's a 5/5 body for 5. You can even use it in a spell heavy deck to make someone burn cards instead of drawing them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Also in the Plague DK mirror, it’s a good way to dump out a few Plagues and reach your key cards too.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

### Blackrock ‘n’ Taunt
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Wax Elemental
# 2x (2) Encumbered Pack Mule
# 2x (2) Frightened Flunky
# 2x (2) To the Front!
# 2x (2) Unlucky Powderman
# 2x (3) Battlepickaxe
# 2x (3) Glory Chaser
# 1x (3) Rock Master Voone
# 2x (3) Steam Guardian
# 2x (3) Treasure Guard
# 1x (3) Weapons Expert
# 2x (4) Dread Corsair
# 1x (4) Hobart Grapplehammer
# 1x (5) Blackrock 'n' Roll
# 2x (5) Detonation Juggernaut
# 1x (5) Magatha, Bane of Music
# 1x (6) Armagedillo
# 2x (6) Blast Tortoise
#
AAEBAQcGorwCnO8EtsQFqOAF5uQFrvgFDMfTAoj0A5SVBPyiBIe3BJf7Bd6NBrmRBruRBpCXBtaeBr+iBgAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:downs:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lmao they should leave that as-is

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
The hardest part of cleave hunter is to quickly calculate if my Gorgon does enough damage to otk

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24008698

mana cost nerfs to: inquisitive creation, thori'belore, battleworn faceless

buffs to: sludge on wheels, detonation juggernaut, snake eyes, going down swinging, flint firearm, blast charge, antique flinger, burrow buster, some excavate treasures

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Detonation Juggernaut buff makes the Wild Taunt Warrior I've been working on better yay!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

peer posted:

buffs to: sludge on wheels, detonation juggernaut, snake eyes, going down swinging, flint firearm, blast charge, antique flinger, burrow buster, some excavate treasures

Thori didn’t get a mana nerf, it got one less health

peer
Jan 17, 2004

oops

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

### Porkie Pine
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Devouring Swarm
# 2x (0) Serpentbloom
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Feign Death
# 2x (2) Fireworks Tech
# 2x (2) Messenger Buzzard
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (2) Selective Breeder
# 2x (2) Terrorscale Stalker
# 2x (3) Augmented Porcupine
# 1x (3) Dreadscale
# 2x (3) Mecha-Leaper
# 1x (3) Nine Lives
# 2x (3) Timeline Accelerator
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (5) Zilliax
#
AAEBAa/XAwTKFPKWA5bUBNj2BQ3HD9jCApzNAu/1As64A/+6A+rpA+buA5T8A6mfBIb/Bd+OBp2iBgAA
#

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

peer posted:

some of those neutral excavate changes are pretty big; trogg being a 2/3 rush is pretty huge for excavate decks in the Paladin matchup, and Burrow Buster is a nice touch: the card was always the weakest excavate (except for maybe 3 mana blast charge) but you still needed to run it for the consistency to the overall package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

can you guess how much damage this guy could do with 4 mana exactly the 37 i had