Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Looking for a thread from these very forums, either from ask/tell or tcc, by a guy who moved from the US to Japan to grow and sell weed. It was an amazing look into this guys adventures in Tokyo or wherever. I think it all ended in him getting deported back to the states. Hoping someone has this bookmarked or something :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Biplane posted:

Looking for a thread from these very forums, either from ask/tell or tcc, by a guy who moved from the US to Japan to grow and sell weed. It was an amazing look into this guys adventures in Tokyo or wherever. I think it all ended in him getting deported back to the states. Hoping someone has this bookmarked or something :)

I know exactly what you're talking about but I have no idea where it was, or any names or anything involved...

Iirc, he grew weed out in the woods somewhere and they finally caught him as he was paying the grow site a visit. Went a bunch in detail on the interrogations, and how the Japanese police were clueless on how to deal with a 'foreigner' because all their intimidation tactics are based around societal/familial shaming and stuff and that had no effect on him, since he was basically a 90s drifter/deadbeat type who already had a bunch of run-ins with police in the US? Some Japanese goons chimed in calling him out, but he either posted an article in the thread of his arrest or sent it to them directly. And yeah, it ended with him getting deported and banned from ever returning to the country.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah, god the whole tread was so fascinating. I remember he painted a vivid picture of the Toky nightlife, especially this one club called Pulse, or something like that.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about but I have no idea where it was, or any names or anything involved...

Iirc, he grew weed out in the woods somewhere and they finally caught him as he was paying the grow site a visit. Went a bunch in detail on the interrogations, and how the Japanese police were clueless on how to deal with a 'foreigner' because all their intimidation tactics are based around societal/familial shaming and stuff and that had no effect on him, since he was basically a 90s drifter/deadbeat type who already had a bunch of run-ins with police in the US? Some Japanese goons chimed in calling him out, but he either posted an article in the thread of his arrest or sent it to them directly. And yeah, it ended with him getting deported and banned from ever returning to the country.

This rings a bell, but I don't know if this is because I heard the story of if there really was a thread about it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

This rings a bell, but I don't know if this is because I heard the story of if there really was a thread about it.

No they nailed it with that description. It was an all time banger of a thread.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Biplane posted:

I was looking for this but have only found a reddit AMA from them so far.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Biplane posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365874

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
This is going to be an extreme long shot but like 25 years ago or so, I was using Audiogalaxy and there was a dude who would send me files of the bands he was in. One was called Dirtbike and the other was <His Name> Trio. Dirtbike is so generic that I struggle to search for it and I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name he used for the Trio band. Does anyone possibly know what these bands were and how I might get a chance to hear them again?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah good luck looking for dirtbike now. Every <object that is product> name I search now I get a nice little sidebar for purchasing options. Thank you, so, so much google.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah good luck looking for dirtbike now. Every <object that is product> name I search now I get a nice little sidebar for purchasing options. Thank you, so, so much google.

Yeah, it's super frustrating. I've been poking around on the Wayback Machine version of the Audiogalaxy page but nothing's seeming familiar. I wish I still had the CDs I burned as a kid.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

do you remember any song names for either group?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
If they had a release (even a CD-R, if it was distributed to anyone nerdy enough to enter the info) it could be on discogs?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

speaking of lost songs/demos, my aunt had a tape by a local group from Hawaii that she got when she was in high school in Honolulu and it featured a very funny song called "Somebody Farted (In The Plate Lunch Line)"

I have been a victim of someone farting in the plate lunch line multiple times while visiting Hawaii, but I have never been able to find that song once that tape disappeared

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

hexwren posted:

do you remember any song names for either group?

Nope. i remember a guitar riff and how the guy's voice sounded but no actual useful information.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

If they had a release (even a CD-R, if it was distributed to anyone nerdy enough to enter the info) it could be on discogs?

I checked on there and nothing matches. A bunch of artists named Dirtbike or some variation but it's all far too new. I might just have to accept that it's lost to time.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

speaking of lost songs/demos, my aunt had a tape by a local group from Hawaii that she got when she was in high school in Honolulu and it featured a very funny song called "Somebody Farted (In The Plate Lunch Line)"

I have been a victim of someone farting in the plate lunch line multiple times while visiting Hawaii, but I have never been able to find that song once that tape disappeared

Killa Wiffa by 3 Local Boyz

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

dphi posted:

Killa Wiffa by 3 Local Boyz

lmao holy loving poo poo

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
I am looking for a short movie that I think was called "Compliance". It had two or three guys and 2 women watching a guy take an online test about something like PPI and sexual harassment. The choices the test taker took made the actor in the test increasingly do bad things like drunk driving, and get in a police change, where he then pulled out a gun and offed himself. I cannot for the life of me find it on YouTube using any search terms.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Yo_vLDczQ

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Thank you!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
/edit: sorry this was really dumb

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seems a long shot but is there any way to easily browse cached images/gifs? Someone posted a clip of the holy mountain recently where some guy was putting on his shoes and stepped outside of his cabin while pigs ran around him before the clip ends. I remembered it out of nowhere and desperately want to remember the context of why it was posted in the first place, but I cannot find it in my history at all which suggests to me that it was probably embedded in the website and I was wondering if there's any easy way to find this info. I am pathetically bad at tech stuff so I'm sure there is but any help is insanely appreciated.

Preferably something where I can sort poo poo by file type and just look for mp4s or gifs

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The Eyes Have It posted:

Desantis and his elevator cowboy boots always reminded me of this guy in 1970 film El Topo, who gets all dolled up in a huge routine before emerging to face off against the stranger who comes to town.

It was in the Internet VFW November thread about Desantis boots getting like another inch taller.

Though of course that was just me sitting here for a bit thinking what thread that was from, so no help on browsing your cache.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Robert Facepalmer posted:

It was in the Internet VFW November thread about Desantis boots getting like another inch taller.

Though of course that was just me sitting here for a bit thinking what thread that was from, so no help on browsing your cache.

Oh wow that's it. Thanks a ton lol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A Mitchell and Webb or Armstrong and Miller or something similar sketch where a butler gives an impassioned speech about how it's the estate owner's civic duty to have someone whose entire job is to whack him off.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This is driving me crazy. This song (I think it's a slowed down version) is super popular rn in tiktoks and shorts, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1ZIClHxjM

and it makes my brain go "ooh that sounds like something". A spark of recognition every time and I cannot place what it reminds me of. That kinda nasal "so preeeettyyyy".

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
There was a link in your video to the slowed down version of the song, here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMHA1DjKke8

The music sort of reminded me of Pokerface with Lady Gaga.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
Back around 2010 there was an ad for a vodka company that had a man and a woman in a bar with really jazzy pop/alt music. I think that through the ad the man and woman were pictured in like different eras (20s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 80s, 2000s).
Does anyone remember either the ad or the name of the song that was playing?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

There was a link in your video to the slowed down version of the song, here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMHA1DjKke8

The music sort of reminded me of Pokerface with Lady Gaga.

Yeah, I know of the original, it's specifically the slowed down tiktok version that's bugging me, the vocals particularly.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I'm trying to find a particular video of people playing a multiplayer mod of one of the PS2-era Grand Theft Auto games, where one player needs to survive while all the other players hunt them down. This video is set to chase music from one of the Matrix movies, and the player survives to the end of the round with a few close calls along the way.

I've tried all sorts of search terms on YouTube, but I can't seem to track it down. Anyone know which video I'm talking about, and have a link?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm trying to find a particular video of people playing a multiplayer mod of one of the PS2-era Grand Theft Auto games, where one player needs to survive while all the other players hunt them down. This video is set to chase music from one of the Matrix movies, and the player survives to the end of the round with a few close calls along the way.

I've tried all sorts of search terms on YouTube, but I can't seem to track it down. Anyone know which video I'm talking about, and have a link?

I definitely remember what you're talking about, they keep trying to run him over with cars and he always barely evades them

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

eating only apples posted:

This is driving me crazy. This song (I think it's a slowed down version) is super popular rn in tiktoks and shorts, like this one:

and it makes my brain go "ooh that sounds like something". A spark of recognition every time and I cannot place what it reminds me of. That kinda nasal "so preeeettyyyy".

I know exactly what you mean, and can't place it either. If I work it out I'll report back

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Kinda sounds like Kids by MGMT to me

e: or Untrust Us by Crystal Castles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDHAEME84Og

rollick fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 6, 2023

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

A loving partner, OP.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I definitely remember what you're talking about, they keep trying to run him over with cars and he always barely evades them

Indeed!

This is the audio track playing over the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB9Mi_hf7og

Between the GTA and the music, it definitely gives it an early 2000s vibe

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.
Old (10 years?) vimeo video of a woman dressed up in a bad cat costume signing a song of which I believe the chorus to be 'merry christmas, christmas kitten'. It was purposefully stupid and very catchy.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Obviously there are loads of songs with vocals like that due to the very obvious application of auto-tune (even by artists that don't require it!) and this type of music (hyperpop) has been around for years.

Check out basically any of the tracks in this list.

Edit - After mulling it over for a bit, it sounds like Ladytron!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2MdJKYsapg

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 6, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Paper Tiger posted:

It's definitely this video. Sadly a dead link:

Reive posted:

So I got in touch with the person who had this to make it available again, it's a recording from a goon server on an old version of SA:MP.
Game type Smear the Queer, one person is chosen and can only run or drive while everyone else is trying to kill them, the player here manages to do it insanely well, while Mona Lisa Overdrive from the Matrix Reloaded highway scene is playing, thus epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorBRIQyZL0

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

wa27 posted:

It's definitely this video. Sadly a dead link:

Ah, dang. Well, thank you for digging up what you could, at least!

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

If it's less the music itself that's familiar and more just that particular line, there is a lyric in P!nk's "Don't Let Me Get Me" that has the same words/a similar delivery (at about 1:18):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asaCQOZpqUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Paper Tiger posted:

Ah, dang. Well, thank you for digging up what you could, at least!

Looks like the wayback machine still has it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210718211352/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorBRIQyZL0