Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If there is one thing that Star Wars: Destiny taught me, is that designers never fully account for the ingenuity of the masses. If there is a degenerate combo out there, it will be found by someone when the game is released in the wild.

This probably happens with every other CCG to some extent. But until it gets out into the masses and starts getting played multiple orders of magnitude over what the playtesting did, the design will likely need some work.

That all said, there are some interesting ideas there, combining the back and forth and initiative of Destiny, a slight twist on Hearthstone of constant resource growth (draw 2, optionally sacrifice a card into the resource stack). But I have only fiddled with the AI opponent and starter decks linked above. So I have only seen a very limited selection of cards. I do worry a little about the super laser techs that become permanent resources on death, in the expensive imperial side of things. A couple of those early could potentially swing the game real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

From the painting thread, but wanted to reply in a more appropriate one:

Cease to Hope posted:

I am pretty groggy but I love abstracted LOS. It's so much nicer, especially at the 40mm-ish scale of Conquest, Shatterpoint, and MCP, where you have enough room to get really wild with the poses and movement, or build mini-diorama bases. I don't love that 40K currently penalizes you for having random stuff sticking out over the edge of the base, or that the Old World is going back to WHFB-style densely packed bases (as opposed to Conquest's better-spaced movement tray bases).

What has me concerned about power creep in Shatterpoint is what's going to happen when people have enough Clone Trooper or Mandalorian or Separatist or whatever faction characters to have everyone stacking synergies. Right now most factions have about 2/3 of your team all stacking into synergies and I do wonder what happens when it's all of your team.

Likewise, damage seems to be very binary. I do like that it's padded wifflebats and everyone gets multiple lives but it's already edging up to where some primaries routinely one-shot supports and some secondaries. What happens when it's most secondaries? Or some primaries, or any unit without defensive tech? MCP ended up creeping up and up and up, so much so that they just did a soft reset of the characters in the new starter. And, again, can't help but notice one of the characters in the leading edge of lethality is that Darth Vader in a $90 box, with lots of keywords that will hook into future Imperial/Sith synergies. His card appears to only be in that box, too.

Maybe it's sour grapes and I'm being unnecessarily pessimistic. In any event, this definitely isn't the game balance thread, lol

I agree with your concerns. Even now it's a problem with Kalani/droids. Obi/clones isn't anywhere near as good. And I think it's Vader/Grievous is what you're referring to.

I guess you're probably right in the long run and I should have more concerns about it especially wrt growing the playerbase and balance keeping people interested. I think for me, I probably put some of my beer and pretzels game logic on there, which of course isn't an excuse. Any game should strive to be a Good Game with lots of thought put towards the long term health and people wanting to be interested and not disheartened that the cool Rebels crew just utterly gets demolished every time by Vader's Gang. You can be a Balanced Game while still having great minis and a great core ruleset, and I admit it's probably blinding me.

Some of my expectations is that the game isn't really going to strive for much outside of kitchen table play, and I'm satisfied with it. I'm probably blinded by the really cool minis and just enjoying assembling and painting them all and having a breath of fresh air from complicated rules systems. Right now, I know I should be putting more time into playing legion but I reach for shatterpoint every time.

Actually, there's a good point in there too. When I see my friend play Kalani+droids, it takes forever for a single activation because of all the mini activations. There's going to be more of that going forward with 100% synergy and not wanting to forget all the little clone keywords because they'll need every single one to be effective if at all.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Is Legion dead now that Shatterpoint is the new hotness?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cessna posted:

Not here. At least, Shatterpoint isn’t the reason Legion is dead here :v:

We play a lot of Legion, I’ve had 4 different people to play against over the last few weeks. Some of our other regulars have yet to show back up, though :(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cessna posted:

Not really- Shatterpoint was intended to be AMG's parallel spin on Star Wars miniature games along the lines of MCP, but then Asmodee decided to liquidate FFG's minis division and dump all the games on AMG for reasons that make sense if and only if you're a business major. Legion honestly seems the most well supported of the ex FFG games these days, though it's still been kinda rough

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea Armada is effectively unsupported at this point, Legion has releases scheduled for every quarter of next year iirc. According to Fifth Trooper, Inquisitors, clone commandos, Bad Batch, a Geonosian commander/operative/warriors, Imperial Range Troopers (train guards from Solo, I had to check an article :v: ), Rebel saboteurs, and a crab droid are all for next year at some point. 2025 is supposed to see a bunch of the early models rereleased in hard plastic, too.*

I fell out of X-Wing once they introduced objectives, so idk anything there.

*all came from here:

https://thefifthtrooper.com/ministravaganza-2023-legion-round-up/

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On Armada, they did just release new errata to discuss what the players felt were the most broken stuff (Onagers, Anakin admiral, etc), so it's getting some support still

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm still playing Legion and just finished up an all Wookiee army for the battleforce, but I'm definitely less invested in it than I was previously. As a competitive player, Ive watched AMG either ignore player feedback or misunderstand player feedback to fix things they don't like, under the guise of simplification, which is ridiculous because their design philosophy almost always chooses complexity over elegance and the amount of cruft they bolt onto their rules is ridiculous.
I've been playing the Song of Ice and Fire game, and although it has a lot of issues with timing and targeting edge cases, the core rules are so simple yet offer a huge scope of real decision points that it's refreshing and reminds me of legion before the clone wars factions. You can also reliably finish a full game within 90 minutes playing at a very casual pace, usually more like an hour.
I haven't played Shatterpoint and I never will because there's literally no wargames design choice I hate more than inscrutable dice rolls. The other player rolls their dice and I might as well not even watch them roll because then they play yahtzee with their unit card and tell me what happens.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

hoiyes posted:

I'm still playing Legion and just finished up an all Wookiee army for the battleforce, but I'm definitely less invested in it than I was previously. As a competitive player, Ive watched AMG either ignore player feedback or misunderstand player feedback to fix things they don't like, under the guise of simplification, which is ridiculous because their design philosophy almost always chooses complexity over elegance and the amount of cruft they bolt onto their rules is ridiculous.
I've been playing the Song of Ice and Fire game, and although it has a lot of issues with timing and targeting edge cases, the core rules are so simple yet offer a huge scope of real decision points that it's refreshing and reminds me of legion before the clone wars factions. You can also reliably finish a full game within 90 minutes playing at a very casual pace, usually more like an hour.
I haven't played Shatterpoint and I never will because there's literally no wargames design choice I hate more than inscrutable dice rolls. The other player rolls their dice and I might as well not even watch them roll because then they play yahtzee with their unit card and tell me what happens.

Song of Ice and Fire has recently taken off in my area and I'm honestly surprised by how much I like it after writing it off initially. Timing and targeting definitely need a rules rewrite but I haven't enjoyed a game like this since Mk2 Warmachine or Guild Ball.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I guess you're probably right in the long run and I should have more concerns about it especially wrt growing the playerbase and balance keeping people interested. I think for me, I probably put some of my beer and pretzels game logic on there, which of course isn't an excuse. Any game should strive to be a Good Game with lots of thought put towards the long term health and people wanting to be interested and not disheartened that the cool Rebels crew just utterly gets demolished every time by Vader's Gang. You can be a Balanced Game while still having great minis and a great core ruleset, and I admit it's probably blinding me.

I should add that I tried it, and the game has good bones. It is beer and pretzels friendly but the core game of initiative and positioning is very good. I just wonder what it looks like when power creep gets done with it, especially since I'd probably skip most of the prequel or Filoni Star Wars stuff so I'm looking at a year plus from now.

hoiyes posted:

The arithmetic is not too hard. Attack dice are worth half a hit, defense dice are worth 1/3 a block, a quarter of your hits are crits and can't be blocked. Attack dice are worth 1/4 an expertise and defense dice are worth 1/3 and what expertise does is character-specific. Unblocked hits are steps down a track of stuff the attacker does.

So I can just look at General Obi-Wan and say, "Oh yeah, this is gonna be about seven hits before defense. Four hits gives him shove shove pin with five damage, and everything above that is another shove, more damage (capping at 9), and miscellaneous bullcrap. Alternately he can jump away on five hits if he's just here to bash face or bounce off a dude's head Mario-style." You have his threat range and his threat, ezpz.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 31, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hoiyes posted:

Yeah while I'm glad they're supporting it I'm kinda concerned about their design direction. I don't mind alot of the simplification stuff- in fact most of my few issues with it are related to them accidentally making stuff more complicated, like deletermining vehicle cover- but they do have a very maximalist design philosophy that I don't super love, and they seem to be pushing various types of skew lists which are interesting but kinda make competitive play a bit too match up dependent. At least they're in the same ballpark, unlike whatever the gently caress happened to X Wing

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

On Armada, they did just release new errata to discuss what the players felt were the most broken stuff (Onagers, Anakin admiral, etc), so it's getting some support still

I went and looked through the errata a bit. I am not quite sure how hard all the changes were, as I don’t have the cards as internalized as I once did, but AMG backpedaled hard on Commander Anakin. Granted he was way overpowered when released (and had some probably unintended wording, salvo off a salvo). But turning him into a way worse version of commander Vader was probably not the answer.

The Onager had a pretty decent price jump. Test-bed (cheaper) went up 20 points to 116. Full size went up 10 points to 120.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 1, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Someone posted the full changes to Armada on Reddit.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Their Armada stuff is very hit or miss.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Speaking of Armada, I sure wish I could find even MSRP Imperial Light Carriers and Cruisers.

I'll probably end up 3D printing them, but I would totally give someone money!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Some recent Shatterpoint miniatures. I'm pretty pleased with Darth Vader in particular, though I could see bringing up the highlights on his helmet a bit more, and trying to make the cape more smoothly blended.

Now I just need to get to the table for some games with the new missions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cessna posted:

Legion will always be alive in my heart, and my table. :unsmith: would be nice if the Shatterpoint models were the same scale.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Their Armada stuff is very hit or miss.

Speaking of the miniatures, is X-Wing assumed dead? It doesn't seem like anything is happening with that anymore.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 29, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Legion will always be alive in my heart, and my table. :unsmith: would be nice if the Shatterpoint models were the same scale.

Speaking of the miniatures, is X-Wing assumed dead? It doesn't seem like anything is happening with that anymore.

Uhhhhhhh it just released a couple new sets, new faction starters, and has so far three or four expansions coming out in the new few months? What are you talking about?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Uhhhhhhh it just released a couple new sets, new faction starters, and has so far three or four expansions coming out in the new few months? What are you talking about?

I haven't seen anything about any new expansions coming. The official website doesn't have anything about this that I saw when I checked a few weeks ago. When I asked on the official Discord, no one knew anything as well. I don't know why you're acting like this is readily available information, none of this is available on official communication channels. Where did you see any of this?

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 29, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I haven't seen anything about any new expansions coming. The official website doesn't have anything about this that I saw when I checked a few weeks ago. When I asked on the official Discord, no one knew anything as well. I don't know why you're acting like this is readily available information, none of this is available on official communication channels. Where did you see any of this?

The official website?
AMG's social media?

I'm sorry the official discord doesn't know anything, but that sounds like it's the discords problem, not the releases. They have communicated this clearly on official channels, so yes, it's readily available info.
Here what's released this year.

Faction starters for Rebel/Emp in May
Yt--2400/Tie Bomber in August.

These are not reprints but actually have new pilot abilities, or in the yt-2400 complete rework of the chassis entirely.
Upcoming still:
Assault Gunboat Reprint
Other faction starter sets
Battle of Endor scenario pack.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Not dead but much more of a slow drip of releases and info. It's almost exclusively rereleases of old ships with new standard loadout cards. The yt2400 rerelease had 2 dual faction pilots and like 0 new upgrades. I think adepticon was the last time we had any new info. The 40th anniversary of RotJ came and went and still no solid info on when the Endor pack is coming out. They also said points adjustments are going to be less of a routine thing and just done to fix any busted stuff that might arise. So whatever meta we're currently in is likely to stay this way for quite a while.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 29, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just saw news about another Fantasy Flight Star Wars CCG "Unlimited".

I guess this means RIP for Destiny?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Just saw news about another Fantasy Flight Star Wars CCG "Unlimited".

I guess this means RIP for Destiny?

Destiny died, like, two years ago

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah destinys been dead for a while. Can't even give that stuff away.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I had no idea, I thought that game was still getting supported. I wonder what the life expectancy of Unlimited is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

AndyElusive posted:

I had no idea, I thought that game was still getting supported. I wonder what the life expectancy of Unlimited is.

They're currently doing design steps for Set 9. I kind of feel like Unlimited is go big or go home for FFG.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

CitizenKeen posted:

They're currently doing design steps for Set 9. I kind of feel like Unlimited is go big or go home for FFG.

That feels insanely premature for a card game that hasn't even been released yet, but I am not a CCG designer.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe they figure that'll make it harder for Asmodee to hand it off to another company overnight

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FishFood posted:

That feels insanely premature for a card game that hasn't even been released yet, but I am not a CCG designer.

No idea. They've announced the first three sets (which sound like they're all done). They've laid out initial plans for 2025 world championships and how it'll different from the 2026 world championships, etc.

I get the impression that if you want to go big, you need to have a long ramp in front of you (especially at first) to encourage buy-in? If there isn't a grand plan, how do you generate hype for _yet another_ FFG Star Wars card game? I'm an LCG fanboi, so I don't know how it's done in the TCG space either.

Game absolutely slaps, though. Really solid design, if not particularly novel. Borrowed a lot of good bits from a bunch of other games; whole is greater than the sum, etc.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

3 Action Economist posted:

Speaking of Armada, I sure wish I could find even MSRP Imperial Light Carriers and Cruisers.

I'll probably end up 3D printing them, but I would totally give someone money!

You and me both. I much prefer Armada and have a growing collection but it's become almost a game in itself trying to find sudden availability and pouncing on it. Managed to grab both a home one and a chimera that had been out of stock for ages then suddenly appeared.

Don't have anyone to play with but hey got those cool models at least and didn't pay ebay mark up collector pricing for it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
wait is there really not a droid control ship for armada

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

It's a size issue, the lucrehulk is twice as long as an imperial SD. And almost that wide.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Napoleon Nelson posted:

It's a size issue, the lucrehulk is twice as long as an imperial SD. And almost that wide.

What

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Right?! I don't get it and kinda refuse to believe it, but it's apparently official.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Need space for all that lucre

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
My friend won ~500 bucks of armada stuff from our local store only to find out that they're no longer stocking them

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ominous Jazz posted:

My friend won ~500 bucks of armada stuff from our local store only to find out that they're no longer stocking them

Heh, the perfect prize

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Just finished the Jedi Hunters box from Star Wars: Shatterpoint:

I'd like to spend more time on the faces but I'm pretty pleased how the black armor and clothes turned out, which I don't have a lot of experience doing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

#justgladiatorthings :getin:

Whoforthenwhat posted:

You and me both. I much prefer Armada and have a growing collection but it's become almost a game in itself trying to find sudden availability and pouncing on it. Managed to grab both a home one and a chimera that had been out of stock for ages then suddenly appeared.

Don't have anyone to play with but hey got those cool models at least and didn't pay ebay mark up collector pricing for it.

I found light carriers on Amazon UK for roughly the same pricing and got light cruisers for like $20 each on ebay from brick stores online store so you can find them

Like, just looking on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176154448231?hash=item29039f9167:g:i1kAAOSwKzBllvG7

Arquitens are less then 20$ USD.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That guy me to here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1664809598...emis&media=COPY