Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It’s pretty dumb how the public at large overreacts to freak occurrences like that and does the Klingon backturning excommunication on things that become news

Some guy licks a cup? All conveyer belt places see 50% drop in patronage, people on the street think it’s not okay to go to them anymore. Nightclub scandal? Close every single loving club in the country. Someone sits in a cooler case at 7eleven in some tiny town in Ehime? Never eating their ice cream for the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

It’s pretty dumb how the public at large overreacts to freak occurrences like that and does the Klingon backturning excommunication on things that become news

The last time I visited America everything on the news was gang shoplifting 24/7.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Visiting America after years of foreigners complaining about Japanese TV. Flick on television. Masked Singer.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gabriel Grub posted:

The last time I visited America everything on the news was gang shoplifting 24/7.

Yeah but that's supposed pushed as being commonplace crime that's everywhere all the time, but actually affected nothing about how Americans shop day to day

This is the opposite; obvious extreme niche cases that actually somehow scare huge swathes of people away from doing things

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah but that's supposed pushed as being commonplace crime that's everywhere all the time, but actually affected nothing about how Americans shop day to day

It's literally fascist propaganda to expand support for the cops, in both cases.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 6, 2023

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I don't think viral videos of people licking cups is fascist propaganda but alright

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Has anyone been to the Ramen Museum in Yokohama? Curious if I should put it on places to check out next summer.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Good Listener posted:

Has anyone been to the Ramen Museum in Yokohama? Curious if I should put it on places to check out next summer.

So you need tickets in advance, no if ands or buts. They are extremely strict. That also goes for activities like making an artistic package of noods. Is it worth it? No. It's tedious, mostly empty, it has a kids playground that is indoors and that's kinda nice I guess. The view isn't really great as the balcony is roughly on the third floor. I zoned out most of the time but most stuff is in Japanese and entirely worthless to read about or look at.

We had a lot more fun going to World Porters, the little amusement park, the newish Yokohama Air Cabin.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

It was extremely underwhelming if you didn't do the ramen-making.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Good Listener posted:

Ramen museum is mainly just a food court with bunch of ramen shops. The food court is designed to kind of look like a run down kowloon-esque street though if that's an aesthetic you like. The ramen in the ramen shops are decent but the actual "museum" part is lacking if that's what you want. Tickets are required but you can just buy them at the door.

I think the other poster was talking about the Cup Noodle Museum.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I mostly heard about there being a bunch of ramen you can try but it sounds like there might be better places to try that out in the end haha.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I crossed out the Nissin museum once I realized it was mostly kiddie stuff and the hubris of Momofuku Ando (literal einstein for inventing deep fried ramen btw). Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum seems 100x cooler to be in to me, even if the actual museum parts might be a bit underwhelming.

By the way why did no one tell me JAL rules. I feel like I’m healing from the previous AA international flight I was just in.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

just checking in after my plane landed last night in Narita. took the train to Chiba station and hooked up with my bud, and from there we took a drive down to Kyonan.

this morning I rode with him to work down south a bit then walked back to his place. took about an hour and a half with stopping at a couple places, and it was kinda funny seeing people in their cars staring at me ambling down the side of the road.

tonight we're meeting with my friends boss for dinner. feel kinda bad cause a couple weeks ago he asked if I had any food preferences, and I told him yea anythings fine as long as it's not cheese. next time we talked he was like, yeah my boss was a little disappointed cause he was gonna cook for us, and he said his specialty was cheese. oops!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Explosive Tampons posted:

I crossed out the Nissin museum once I realized it was mostly kiddie stuff and the hubris of Momofuku Ando (literal einstein for inventing deep fried ramen btw). Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum seems 100x cooler to be in to me, even if the actual museum parts might be a bit underwhelming.

By the way why did no one tell me JAL rules. I feel like I’m healing from the previous AA international flight I was just in.

You can always spot tourists or couples walking around with their customized cup noodles in Yokohama on weekends.

JAL I haven’t experienced first hand but ANA internationally is pretty amazing, it’s like what US airlines could be if they didn’t have to worry first and foremost about shareholder value.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm glad to hear that cuz we're flying out on ANA from Ohare to Haneda. Have to fly United from here to Chicago but it's only an hourish so.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I flew ANA on my recent trip to Tokyo and I'd say it's really far up there in airline quality. Just shy of Singapore Airlines IMO.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The best bloody mary I ever had was on a JAL flight to London.

You can also request highballs because they always have whiskey and soda.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
The JAL sakura lounge in Narita airport was pretty nice. I bought a business class starlux from NRT to TPE and they gave me access to the JAL lounge.

(also business class rules and I wish I was so ballin to always have business class flights)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I flew ANA on my recent trip to Tokyo and I'd say it's really far up there in airline quality. Just shy of Singapore Airlines IMO.

Agreed, ANA has always been lovely.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ANA lounge at Haneda and Heathrow were both real good too.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Is the Docomo bike sharing app region locked or what? No go to find it through the App Store on iOS or through their own link.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Explosive Tampons posted:

Is the Docomo bike sharing app region locked or what? No go to find it through the App Store on iOS or through their own link.

Docomo has become harder for non-residents to use I believe.

You might also want to consider Hello Cycling or LUUP. I don’t know how easy they are for non-residents, but they exist as Docomo alternatives.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Odd question, but does anyone know where I can watch american pro wrestling PPVs in Tokyo? Like a bar?

I will be there over new years and there's a AEW PPV on Dec 29th 7pm CST which I think will be Dec 30th 10AM, not sure anyone will be open that early I have no idea what the culture is like

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Shredder posted:

Odd question, but does anyone know where I can watch american pro wrestling PPVs in Tokyo? Like a bar?

I will be there over new years and there's a AEW PPV on Dec 29th 7pm CST which I think will be Dec 30th 10AM, not sure anyone will be open that early I have no idea what the culture is like

Drop Kick might meet your needs: https://jp.openrice.com/en/tokyo-kanto/r-drop-kick-shinjuku-yoyogi-r191929

Only other pro wrestling bar in Tokyo that I know of personally is Inoki Saka Bar ( which I would recommend if you are in Tokyo for Wrestle Kingdom). That was the first place a friend and I went after our 13 and a half hour flight and it had an insane fever dream type atmosphere.

In Osaka there is Count2.99 which shows events but that is not in Tokyo obviously!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

duckdealer posted:

Drop Kick might meet your needs: https://jp.openrice.com/en/tokyo-kanto/r-drop-kick-shinjuku-yoyogi-r191929

Only other pro wrestling bar in Tokyo that I know of personally is Inoki Saka Bar ( which I would recommend if you are in Tokyo for Wrestle Kingdom). That was the first place a friend and I went after our 13 and a half hour flight and it had an insane fever dream type atmosphere.

In Osaka there is Count2.99 which shows events but that is not in Tokyo obviously!

I will be there for WK! Hitting DDT and Noah as well.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Shredder posted:

I will be there for WK! Hitting DDT and Noah as well.

Replace NOAH with Stardom and you are the me from January 2020!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

duckdealer posted:

Replace NOAH with Stardom and you are the me from January 2020!

Any tips or tricks for a first timer?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Shredder posted:

Any tips or tricks for a first timer?

You might already have this on your list of things to do but you have to go to Toudoukan.

Don't be afraid to do things you want to do. When I went to Japan the first time I was nervous about getting around before the trip so left out some out of the way things but realized I had no reason to be nervous once I got there.

I also had pretty much zero language ability so whatever your current level is it will be more than enough!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

duckdealer posted:

You might already have this on your list of things to do but you have to go to Toudoukan.

Don't be afraid to do things you want to do. When I went to Japan the first time I was nervous about getting around before the trip so left out some out of the way things but realized I had no reason to be nervous once I got there.

I also had pretty much zero language ability so whatever your current level is it will be more than enough!

That is on my list, along with all the restaurants and bars that are owned by wrestlers. I've got a good list going, I'll be there for 2 weeks, I think I'm going to break it up by neighborhood, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Koraku/Akihabara, I dunno!

I've been making a big list of poo poo on wanderlog, gonna hit up some breweries, heavy metal bars, arcades, the museums look cool, that teamlab thing looks good too.

I'm debating going to Osaka for a few days but idk if I wanna gently caress around with all that, there's probably enough stuff to do in Tokyo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shredder posted:

The other option is that FITE TV is possible to use in Japan (it’s how I’ve watched AEW since Dynamite number one), and you can use an American credit card to pay - and World’s End is $16 on FITE (at worst would be $20).

10 am is generally a bit early for restaurants to open, but it’s possible those wrestling-focused places might be open.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

harperdc posted:

The other option is that FITE TV is possible to use in Japan (it’s how I’ve watched AEW since Dynamite number one), and you can use an American credit card to pay - and World’s End is $16 on FITE (at worst would be $20).

10 am is generally a bit early for restaurants to open, but it’s possible those wrestling-focused places might be open.

It will show up on my plex later in the day, but I'd love the experience of watching it with drunk Japanese wrestling fans.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shredder posted:

It will show up on my plex later in the day, but I'd love the experience of watching it with drunk Japanese wrestling fans.

It’s 10 am on New Year’s Eve, which is like if it was on Christmas Eve in the U.S. Wrestle Kingdom or the Japanese shows will be your better bet, honestly.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
This might be a silly question but what are some good sites to look at to research places to visit? I know Japan-Guide is pretty good but a lot of these other sites feel like I'm reading the same travel blog over and over. Maybe that's just the way things are?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
maps.google.com

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Good Listener posted:

This might be a silly question but what are some good sites to look at to research places to visit? I know Japan-Guide is pretty good but a lot of these other sites feel like I'm reading the same travel blog over and over. Maybe that's just the way things are?

One thing I've found is that searching YouTube can be more helpful than a general Google search. Like you said through Google you often get the same results over and over. Obviously you might need to type in something more specific than "Japan travel" to get good / more unique recommendations but worth a try.

Only specific site I can recommend is: Craig Mod's website. Might find something that interests you by poking around there.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
My brother is going to Japan soon and I’m looking for some gift ideas that would be helpful for him on his trip. Any ideas would be helpful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One of the more useful generic travel accessories I've had: https://nanobag.com/products/nanobag

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good power delivery charger with multiple USB ports and/or battery pack with same.
Small LED flashlight that runs on AA batteries.
Good headphones if they don't already have a set.
Bag like this if they travel a lot, i have this exact bag and it's been a tank for 12 years of regular travel: https://www.redoxx.com/products/sky-train-convertible-backpack

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I would just say buy those at Donki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
you do not need a flashlight to go to japan