Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Entry level” is a meaningless phrase nowadays, especially on LinkedIn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Ugh.

Since September I’ve been interviewing for an InfoSec Engineering role with a law firm in DC. I’m in Florida and was told initially that the role would be full time remote. 4 rounds of interviews later I get a verbal offer contingent on COO approval. Just heard that now they want the role to sit in DC.

Feeling a bit deflated right now.

But on the bright side my wife won her appeal against SSDI in October and after 3 years she finally has an income stream of her own and so her spirits are boosted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

Ugh.

Since September I’ve been interviewing for an InfoSec Engineering role with a law firm in DC. I’m in Florida and was told initially that the role would be full time remote. 4 rounds of interviews later I get a verbal offer contingent on COO approval. Just heard that now they want the role to sit in DC.

Feeling a bit deflated right now.

But on the bright side my wife won her appeal against SSDI in October and after 3 years she finally has an income stream of her own and so her spirits are boosted.

Ugh, I'm so sorry dude - the 'back to office' bait and switch is pathetic and wasteful.

Congrats on wife's victory!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

rifles posted:

How long did it take from appeal to decision if you don't mind me asking? My dad was denied everything for his back - he has 5 levels fused in his C-spine and has a documented back injury on active duty and did 30+ jumps including hitting a vehicle on a jump zone. I helped him file a few years, they denied, we appealed with the help of a county rep and it's been almost two years with no decision or response from the panel review.

The claim was initially denied in January of 2019, I told them I disagreed and it was submitted to the appeals board judge in April of 2020.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah back to office bullshit can die in a fire. My newish employer was finally letting me work from home one day a week (more if I had something at home I needed to take care of), which I was fine with for now because it was a foot in the door and I'd eventually move.on to somewhere with a better remote policy.

Anyways, we got acquired by another company, and they are strictly "everyone comes to the office every day, no exceptions". It's stupid as gently caress.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
A little over 3 years ago, I moved from a WG to a GS position, and it definitely cemented that I am entirely incompatible with an office environment. Right now, some of our leadership is trying to get us to come back to the office more, as I usually work from home the majority of the week. If the choice came down to be in the office full time or return to a WG position where I'm working with my hands, I would take the WG position again in a heartbeat.

I don't know if it's my ADHD or something else, but I can't sit still and won't do busywork. Sitting in an office is torture to me.

I have an interview tomorrow to transfer back to the shipyard I started at, in another GS role. I guess we'll see how that goes and hopefully I'll be out of PA for good in the off chance I'm offered the position.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I actually like Harrisburg. Not necessarily politically, but as far as living an a semi-urban area relatively affordably. And I can be basically anywhere in North America in 8 hours. Its a solid base of operations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pine Cone Jones posted:

A little over 3 years ago, I moved from a WG to a GS position, and it definitely cemented that I am entirely incompatible with an office environment. Right now, some of our leadership is trying to get us to come back to the office more, as I usually work from home the majority of the week. If the choice came down to be in the office full time or return to a WG position where I'm working with my hands, I would take the WG position again in a heartbeat.

I don't know if it's my ADHD or something else, but I can't sit still and won't do busywork. Sitting in an office is torture to me.

I have an interview tomorrow to transfer back to the shipyard I started at, in another GS role. I guess we'll see how that goes and hopefully I'll be out of PA for good in the off chance I'm offered the position.

I feel your pain dude.
What yard are you looking at?
I’m kind of hopeful they really do reactivate another yard in CA.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I'm one town over. Initially I moved out here as my husband wanted to be closer to his parents, who then later moved to North Carolina. This place just doesn't feel like home and the atmosphere for LGBT folks is not great. My husband works for an industrial supply company and some of the folks he's run into while working have been difficult, even going as far as calling corporate to complain about him. Maybe it's just my paranoia, but it's not a place I feel safe, especially in the long term if Trump gets reelected.

Edit: Back to the shipyard in Kittery, Maine is where I'm trying for. It's where I started and for whatever reason, Maine is my adopted home.

My grandfather on my mom's side used to work at Mare island a long time back.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 6, 2023

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Yeah, if Trump wins again this its going to make things pretty bad. Its already very chuddy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pennsylvania really is "Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Pennsyltucky in between." The Philly area is much cooler and more supportive. Never lived out near Pittsburgh so I have to go off what others say about it but I hear a lot of the same now that they're clawing their way back from the rust belt death. Harrisburg just seems to be surrounded by too many farms and the assholes that live on them.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Pennsylvania really is "Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Pennsyltucky in between." The Philly area is much cooler and more supportive. Never lived out near Pittsburgh so I have to go off what others say about it but I hear a lot of the same now that they're clawing their way back from the rust belt death. Harrisburg just seems to be surrounded by too many farms and the assholes that live on them.

I couldn't live in either due to the limited ingress/egress routes into the cities. I just take the train if I have to go to Philly generally. I'm from NWPA originally and that place hasn't changed in 30 years. GE moved most of their stuff to Dallas and it just shriveled. People show up for Pymatuning, Lake Erie, and Bike Week and its a ghost town otherwise.

And State College is just West New Jersey at this point.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Cumberland county has been a big draw for some reason and the only good thing I can think of, is that hopefully someone will be willing to buy our house in a reasonable period of time when we move. Without us having to spend even more on fixing things or hgtv'ing our house.

They keep building all these developments around us and I don't comprehend who is managing to buy places that are 300-500k+. The only reason that I can consider buying a house in Southern Maine or New Hampshire is my parents, my husband and I will be splitting a multi family place when the time comes.

Just to ramble, I don't understand how people can like being in an office. I just can't deal with it and I don't think I have anything in common with the majority of people that work in one. For what reason, they're just alien to me, but I'm also just weird and broken, so that could be a thing too.

I'm just loving tired. Sorry for going on.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lol if you already own a place and are looking to sell, you aren't going to have any issues other than how fast you can process paperwork.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Just to ramble, I don't understand how people can like being in an office. I just can't deal with it and I don't think I have anything in common with the majority of people that work in one. For what reason, they're just alien to me, but I'm also just weird and broken, so that could be a thing too.

I feel weird working in an office. Not implying you, but I feel like statistically in life I should have overdosed or suck-started a shotgun by now. People like me aren't designed for this type of work. I feel like no one in my office has any personality. Maybe it's just the way office's are I honestly have no freaking idea. I get along with some of the younger folk but the older folk just talk about their rental properties. And why is every government employee a libertarian? (I am a DoD civilian engineer). The money is nice although everything is more expensive in NJ. My first year here one check didn't even cover my 1BR apartment. I have no idea how most people afford it here. Sorry now I am rambling lol.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I find working in an office just fine. The only real problem is trying to maneuver around the furniture when I'm working overhead running the network cables. It's a lot easier before they move everything in, but all things considered, it's not so bad.

The real advantage is that I don't need any special lift equipment, unlike in the factory. I just need a ladder, some pull rods, and I'm good to go for whatever I need to do in there.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

My monitors at home are better than mine in the office, but I work better in the office than I do at home.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Oh so you have actual stuff to do, I just sit at a desk all day. I just have really bad impostor syndrome at this job. I've been told I'm good at it so I keep on keepin on.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Wrong Theory posted:

Oh so you have actual stuff to do, I just sit at a desk all day. I just have really bad impostor syndrome at this job. I've been told I'm good at it so I keep on keepin on.

I'm in the same boat, I feel like it's a sinecure, but people tell me I do good, but I'm just some dipshit who stares at outlook most of the day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have a two days in the office policy at work. I wake up early to drive 40 miles one way to do meetings that are 100% on Teams or Zoom. Then I leave early, much to my Gen X boss’s discontent, so I can try to beat traffic home so it doesn’t turn into a 2.5 hour drive at rush hour, and finish up the day from home.

When I work from home, I get more sleep, roll out of bed refreshed, walk my dogs, make breakfast, kiss my wife as she’s starting her 100% remote job, then sit down at my desk with a big cup of coffee, nice and early and work until I go work out at 4:45.

Guess where I’m happier and more productive?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wrong Theory posted:

Civil engineer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have a two days in the office policy at work. I wake up early to drive 40 miles one way to do meetings that are 100% on Teams or Zoom. Then I leave early, much to my Gen X boss’s discontent, so I can try to beat traffic home so it doesn’t turn into a 2.5 hour drive at rush hour, and finish up the day from home.

When I work from home, I get more sleep, roll out of bed refreshed, walk my dogs, make breakfast, kiss my wife as she’s starting her 100% remote job, then sit down at my desk with a big cup of coffee, nice and early and work until I go work out at 4:45.

Guess where I’m happier and more productive?

This is basically what I aim for with my job but I often end up doing 3-4 days a week at the office just because I need access to the systems (I work with barely any locals). When I’m working from home I’ll sometimes do 10 hours just because that’s only working 7am to 5pm, but if do that at the office I’m away from home 7am to 7pm.

I let the union know the instant I heard the COO saying the “important office culture” bullshit that usually precedes a return to office mandate. They’re struggling to get the company to formalize the temporary telework agreement, though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Hammering away at F5 has paid off, as my decision letter is now available.

It does not say what my new rating is going to be, though. Just that they've granted me service connection for a few things.

Sorta.

quote:

ORDER
Entitlement to service connection for cervical degenerative arthritis of the spine and spinal stenosis (hereinafter cervical spine disability) is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for cervical radiculopathy is granted.

Yeah, about that cervical radiculopathy...

quote:

2. Service connection for cervical radiculopathy is remanded.

Here, the Veteran’s private treatment records reflect that he is diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy, and he is now service-connected for a cervical spine disability. See November 2018 PTR. Thus, the first two elements of secondary service connection are met.

Moreover, regarding secondary nexus, the diagnosing private physician went on to state that “the cervical canal stenosis and foraminal stenosis is causing radiculopathy into the right shoulder.” Id. Critically there is no competent medical
opinion to the contrary.

Therefore, secondary service connection for cervical radiculopathy is also warranted.

So, uh... is it granted or is it remanded?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

McNally posted:

Hammering away at F5 has paid off, as my decision letter is now available.

It does not say what my new rating is going to be, though. Just that they've granted me service connection for a few things.

Sorta.

Yeah, about that cervical radiculopathy...

So, uh... is it granted or is it remanded?

It sounds like it's a secondary service connection, so related to one you already have, which is service connected. From what I understand you should be getting paid for it.
So service connected is remanded, but you were granted or warranted secondary service connection? Que the hobbits meme.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Wrong Theory posted:

It sounds like it's a secondary service connection, so related to one you already have, which is service connected. From what I understand you should be getting paid for it.
So service connected is remanded, but you were granted or warranted secondary service connection? Que the hobbits meme.

I think they're remanding the secondary condition to the VA to decide how much to rate me for it.

Meanwhile I continue to hammer away at F5 to see if my rating changes for the primary service connected conditions (cervical degenerative arthritis of the spine and spinal stenosis).

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

As a member of the Getting Old Crew (TM), if you are having issues with tendons and/or arthritis, so far I have responded really well to supplementing with magnesium glycinate. I went from having a gangsta lean because of my left knee to an actual normal gait. Stairs give me trouble but I also just started a week and a half ago. And I still have some weight to lose but this makes it easier for me to be active. I am only taking 100mg, I could probably go up which I will experiment with in the future. If you look into it be sure to pay attention to the different types of magnesium, glycinate is supposed to be easy on the stomach and have a higher absorption. Whereas oxide is cheap and has a lower absorption. Citrate might be harder on your stomach. Disclaimer: IANAD, YMMV, ask your doctor if listening to an idiot on the internet is right for you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wrong Theory posted:

As a member of the Getting Old Crew (TM), if you are having issues with tendons and/or arthritis, so far I have responded really well to supplementing with magnesium glycinate. I went from having a gangsta lean because of my left knee to an actual normal gait. Stairs give me trouble but I also just started a week and a half ago. And I still have some weight to lose but this makes it easier for me to be active. I am only taking 100mg, I could probably go up which I will experiment with in the future. If you look into it be sure to pay attention to the different types of magnesium, glycinate is supposed to be easy on the stomach and have a higher absorption. Whereas oxide is cheap and has a lower absorption. Citrate might be harder on your stomach. Disclaimer: IANAD, YMMV, ask your doctor if listening to an idiot on the internet is right for you.

Magnesium citrate is a laxative/stool softener. Use with caution.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Dude fiber capsules are the poo poo. They keep me regular and help with my IBS.

I’m in my 40s and wearing progressive lens. I’m old af.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nystral posted:

Dude fiber capsules are the poo poo. They keep me regular and help with my IBS.

I’m in my 40s and wearing progressive lens. I’m old af.

Big same man, big same.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've been taking fiber capsules since my late 20s. IDK if that makes me an old man at heart or what, but they do the trick when I remember to take them.

Anyways, some fuckhead put up alt-right/Nazi posters in my neighborhood yesterday (just outside of DC). Was scrolling my phone in bed when I woke up this morning, saw a post about it, and flew out the door in record time with my scraper to take them down. The good news is, someone else already got them down which :unsmith:

I really like my neighborhood, and it has a pretty large immigrant/second-gen immigrant population. So that poo poo threw me into a driven rage like no other.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My monitors at home are better than mine in the office, but I work better in the office than I do at home.

Same exact situation, same career too. I’m just way more productive in the office, and when I have to create plans and bill my time to projects, it just makes sense to go in. My entire team all came back to the office by choice in 2021 before rules were established to get everyone back.

But I am doing a temp—AGR gig on my guard base, and I’m the acting base civil engineer and squadron commander while the real one is deployed. Going from a production-focused consulting gig to a government job where I just react to things has been amazing. This is a job I would definitely prefer to do from home, and I did with no issue for a couple days when my car was in the shop.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
God, life with a kid with Adhd is frustrating as hell. Yeah little dude you have a doctors appointment today. It doesn't mean you get to sleep in we still have to leave at the same time to drop your sister off then go to it. FML dude doesn't want meds but can't seem to develop coping mechanisms. Any advice?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Melthir posted:

God, life with a kid with Adhd is frustrating as hell. Yeah little dude you have a doctors appointment today. It doesn't mean you get to sleep in we still have to leave at the same time to drop your sister off then go to it. FML dude doesn't want meds but can't seem to develop coping mechanisms. Any advice?

Wanting to sleep in instead of get up on time is an extremely common thing with a lot of kids and teens. I don’t know that it’s a specific symptom of ADHD that would require a unique coping mechanism.

If the question is more geared towards general advice on how those with ADHD can manage without being medicated, rigid routine that can’t be deviated from helps some. There are several smartphone apps out there that allow schedule creation and have alarms that can’t be easily disabled. Having the entire day planned out with those alarms on to keep him on task can help.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
As a kid that dealt with years of "you don't need meds" ADHD, please keep trying because the meds helped more than all the stupid loving routines and drills and checklists.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wasabi the J posted:

As a kid that dealt with years of "you don't need meds" ADHD, please keep trying because the meds helped more than all the stupid loving routines and drills and checklists.

This is the real answer though. There is a reason almost everyone is on medication. It’s because the meds work and if you get the dosage right, the side effects are extremely manageable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Melthir posted:

Give up and hide in your office?

No wait you want constructive advice not what I did.

Anyways one of my kid has mild autism but they both have ADHD. Thankfully they don’t really care about taking pills right now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Like to this day I still resent a lot of "ADHD parenting" routines due to unintentional trauma my parents inflicted over all the checklists, and the meds would have likely made those copes work better than setting up a kid with an executive dysfunction to fail another task.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
E/N has an ADHD support/community thread that might have some good advice and resources for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020974&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Thanks guys. Just feeling frustrated. Kid was all about trying medication but with the delay in getting him to see a provider he is now worried it will make him less.....him I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
ugh hopefully that all works out and he can get the help the doctors prescribe. I know my ADD medications helped me a ton in HS