Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How dare you guys insult Sports Illustrated (and Popular Science and Popular Mechanics) 's new owner the Authentic Brands Group? They're Authentic, says right there. That's why SI has chatgpt writers and Popular Science just talks about how Syria needs Dogecoin. The Authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

projecthalaxy posted:

Popular Science just talks about how Syria needs Dogecoin

Please tell me that is a real PopSci article.

The last good Popular Mechanics article I remember was the commentary on the CVR from Air France 447's crash.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

Please tell me that is a real PopSci article.

The last good Popular Mechanics article I remember was the commentary on the CVR from Air France 447's crash.

Speaking of...
https://defector.com/popular-science-ends-and-science-journalism-keeps-shrinking

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The comments on that article are a whole lot of people making elaborate reasons why the publisher ended it rather than "magazines died 20 years ago."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I figure any news that matters will end up affecting me personally, in which case I’ll discover the relevant facts at that time. Anything else wasn’t worth knowing to begin with. Tell me about the war when I'm shot, tell me about the famine once I get hungry, etc.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 6, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://frontofficesports.com/the-amount-of-useless-stuff-you-guys-do-is-staggering-inside-a-shakeup-at-sports-illustrated/

Yeah, here’s an article about the new owners of SI

quote:

”No one is important,” Bhargava told SI staffers, per one source on hand for the presentation. “I am not important. … The amount of useless stuff you guys do is staggering.”

The meeting lasted more than 90 minutes, and Bhargava joked at one point, “Did anyone bring any 5-Hour [Energy drink]?”

Other highlights from Bhargava’s comments during the town hall:

A rant about recycling being “useless.”
He told employees that the leaders of SI should “stop doing dumb stuff.”
He declared “PowerPoints are illegal” because such presentations are a waste of time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A magazine is basically a printed out PowerPoint

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I agree with the PowerPoint thing

But that's about what I expected from the company that just got caught using AI articles

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Its fun to think about how many (few) hours that dude has to work to make my yearly wages

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
He's right about power points. And probably right about the kind of recycling that's done in offices. That's way more about making people feel good. Metal recycling is not useless though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/metalgearobama/status/1732791563808555337?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

:lmao:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

It went over my head at first but this is very funny.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It’s not all doom and gloom around here, the BBC world service has a new series out about a curse on the County Mayo Gaelic football team in Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xtvs1/episodes/player

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This must've been a year or two ago but it just popped back into my head: Jay Kang, formerly at NYT, now of the New Yorker, directed a doc for ESPN (forget if it was a 30 For 30 or whatever they call them now), about Michael Chang and more broadly Asian-American identity. It was done, maybe a week away from its planned premiere at like a festival and then suddenly pulled with little comment.

Iirc it was assumed at the time that ESPN caved to avoid offending China in some way -- I think the idea was that his 1989 French Open win was paired in the narrative with Tiananmen Square. Did the film ever see the light of day or was there ever a more candid explanation?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This must've been a year or two ago but it just popped back into my head: Jay Kang, formerly at NYT, now of the New Yorker, directed a doc for ESPN (forget if it was a 30 For 30 or whatever they call them now), about Michael Chang and more broadly Asian-American identity. It was done, maybe a week away from its planned premiere at like a festival and then suddenly pulled with little comment.

Iirc it was assumed at the time that ESPN caved to avoid offending China in some way -- I think the idea was that his 1989 French Open win was paired in the narrative with Tiananmen Square. Did the film ever see the light of day or was there ever a more candid explanation?

Kang said it was going to come out next summer (2024). Without any explanation one has to imagine there was some sort of tension with the release...but who knows.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

His parents are Taiwanese so I could definitely see there being some political issues ESPN is caving to.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Truther Vandross posted:

His parents are Taiwanese so I could definitely see there being some political issues ESPN is caving to.

The documentary was going to be absolutely political. ESPN's own description describes it as ESPN Films today announced that production has completed on a 30 for 30 documentary about former tennis player Michael Chang, with New Yorker and The New York Times writer and Emmy nominated correspondent, Jay Caspian Kang, on board for his directorial debut. “American Son” will tell the story of Chang’s improbable rise as a young American tennis star, and his family’s immigrant journey which shaped his destiny. The story is centered around his winning the 1989 French Open at age 17, including his unforgettable upset of top ranked Ivan Lendl – a match that unfolded in the shadow of the Tiananmen Square massacre in China.

On top of that I know Michael Chang is also outspoken in his christian faith which surely rubs China the wrong way as well. But yeah, would be interesting to see if this does eventually come out next year.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The annual "Stick to Sports" article:
https://defector.com/what-did-we-get-stuck-in-our-rectums-last-year-4

10 inch long sex toy in the penis, ye gods

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Was coming here to post this.

Poor dude: "SWALLOWED A MAGNET AT SCHOOL THEN WAS STUNG BY A WASP ON HIS FOOT"

Ahhhhh VIBRATOR STUCK FOR 6 DAYS

Million to one, doc "PATIENT STATES ACCIDENTALLY SAT ON CONE SHAPED TOY IN THE SHOWER"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

e: I cant judge; I went to the ER as a child for shoving like 20 pieces of cat food kibble up my nose.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Katie Nolan was on Celebrity Jeopardy tonight and almost ran away with the win. Is she promoting a new project?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

her messing up the wager math at the end and almost losing was really funny

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/byajperez/status/1748395216892006592?s=46

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not that there was much left but RIP

https://x.com/byajperez/status/1748391681068593588?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sports journalism is so dead that that’s the first post ITT in 23 days

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I assume they're planning on bringing back zombie SI with all chatbot written articles in a few months.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume they're planning on bringing back zombie SI with all chatbot written articles in a few months.

I've got money on the DraftKings Lock Of The Week brought to you by Sports Illustrated

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm sure dentists everywhere won't care enough to stop subscribing

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Here's hoping Rohan Nadkarni ends up at Defector

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The lighter side of sports journalism

https://x.com/makjak/status/1748413452492714205?s=46

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm sure dentists everywhere won't care enough to stop subscribing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1748438479216775658

lol Whitlock

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That number is very specific, that’s how you know it’s science

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Incredible lede

quote:

Right-wing commentator Jason Whitlock used his show on Glenn Beck’s TheBlaze to host a notorious antisemite who used the platform to denounce “the Jews” for “undermining the moral fabric of the American people,” dominating the Biden administration, and “tak[ing] control of the black population” through “sexual liberation.”

Whitlock responded to the hateful rant by saying, “The man is speaking facts, and I know the intent of what he just said, and I got no problem with it.”

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wonder why he got cancelled.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

Incredible lede

quote:

Whitlock responded to the hateful rant by saying, “The man is speaking facts, and I know the intent of what he just said, and I got no problem with it.”

If the intent is to separate stupid racist/anti-semites from their money I may not strongly disagree either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bizarro Bill Nye right there

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would like to know more about how sexual liberation is just mind control by another name

And why it just effected black people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As a Jewish guy it's actually refreshing to see actual anti semitism that isn't some 19 year old college kid saying "Free Palastine" so I'll give Whitlock credit for that.