Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Random Stranger posted:

I keep getting those as well, though I watch (and produce) enough nerdy video game stuff that I just figured the all mighty algorithm was trying to boost small creators with some kind of interest overlap. People buying boosting does seem sadly likely.

I think it's the case of the algorithm determining random videos with a potential to blow up (maybe along with the channel if they are lucky) and brute-force shoving them into everybody's feed. I keep noticing that, a recommended video by a channel with 100 subscribers will have like 2k views , a week later it will show up again with 300k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm kinda sick of big ol' companies just changing the things I have to interface with every day, without notification, without consulting me, without giving me options, and (as with Google) leaving it to me to discover and speculate on what the drat change actually was.

Microsoft pioneered this approach, Google perfected it.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
We get paper straws now at fast food places

Just let me eat my unhealthy slop in peace without a straw that disintegrates and makes the soda taste like rear end ok

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We had a Rainbow when I was a kid. Essentially it's a vaguely R2-D2 looking thing that sucks up all the dust and filth and vileness of your house and dumps it into a watery chamber pot that is attached to its lower parts. As a child, one of my regular tasks was to take this water-filled dustpot off to the wooded edge of the property and dump out all the skin flakes we'd sloughed off and the dead hairs we'd shed in the past week and pitch it into the tangled undergrowth there. Did this ritual mangle me up inside? Did it make me a twisted caricature of a human, unable to function, always cognizant of the filth I leave in my wake like a snot spewing eel?? Absolutely not! The Rainbow is a wonderful vacuum cleaner and an excellent alternative to traditional bag and bagless systems. Don't be scared off by the price, a Rainbow will be with you for the rest of your life!

my mom has a decades old rainbow that has been locally repaired several times and is still trucking

she got a shark as a gift this year and only uses it as a handheld vacuum because of how bad it is compared to the rainbow

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

The pandemic ruined trying to find an e-commerce related job. I've spent most of my career working in e-commerce, managing storefronts, product photography, back-end stuff, marketing, shipping, etc. This often used to involve profit share and significant oversight over e-commerce operations. But every single "e-commerce" job posting now means minimum wage worker who sits in some retail stockroom packaging peoples' online orders. Or just sitting around doing etsy/ebay listings for some lovely artist or whatever for minimum wage. What the gently caress is this :argh:

Get a real job

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My mom would make me dump the rainbow in the toilet which I’m sure didn’t gently caress up our plumbing at all

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My mom would make me dump the rainbow in the toilet which I’m sure didn’t gently caress up our plumbing at all

idk if it can handle my hogshits it should be able to handle dirtwater

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My experiences with 1 cheap, and 1 name brand (but brand name sold of to a holding group - but *should* still be above average) vacuum cleaner were both poo poo. In the cyclone thing of the cheap one was a kind of mesh, and that clogged literally after half an hour of use. So you'd be brushing the mesh clean with a tooth brush before you're able to vacuum again.
The name brand one (Philips) had a filter pad in front of the motor that clogged very quickly and in general was just very, VERY weak.

Now we have an AEG with bag (made in china, designed in Europe) with 700ish watts of power and it is unironically the most powerful vacuum we've ever had. More powerful than the pre-environmental regulations 2000w AEG, and i reckon it's more than 10dB quieter.

If you buy made in Germany (Miele, specific Aldi/Lidl store brand ones made in the former east german vacuum cleaner factories, i think also Siemens) you're often fine. So far the made in china but designed in europe stuff is also good.
The store brand ones are around 100-150 euro, the name brand ones 150-400 euro.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Sharks are fine and I like their steam mop, but I recently watched a video about how insidiously difficult they make the vacuums to repair.
Even models that look the same, from the same year, you can't get the parts for and they recently moved to security screws that lock down components you'd want to clean every year or so.

I've been wanting a steam cleaner and my research led me to believe that the $1000+ commercial ones are the only ones that aren't just rebranded Chinese ones that are almost guaranteed to break within 10-30 uses.

My wife vetoed that expense.

Also air purifiers, can I just get a HEPA one that they don't gouge on proprietary filters and consumables that then change models after a few years and you can't get them anymore except inferior knockoff versions?

I suppose I can get the in line house filter attachment for my relatively new trane central air unit.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Did rainbow used to be somewhat affordable? My wife had a coworker do a rainbow demonstration in our house (because I guess it knocks some of the price off of their purchase to do demonstrations?) and at the end the salesperson was pushing for us to enter a financing contract for like $3000. For a vacuum cleaner? I thought it was a joke at first.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Our roomba is really essential for keeping up with our dogs shedding in our hardwood floored apartment

But it gets software updates and I s2g some of them make the roomba 10x worse at pathfinding

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I was living in a pretty small room for a while and decided to buy one of the cheapo vacuums off Amazon. If it was totally empty it worked fine, but about five minutes of use would drop the suction power to a fraction of its potential and the inlet also had a tendency to clog. Even if there was barely any hair, dust, or dirt to pick up. So like, it was fine for cleaning the room so long as I stopped once or twice to empty it, clear the inlet, and start again. What should really have been a quick task became this whole ordeal and I'm glad I was able to pass that curse on to one of the other roommates when I left because they needed a vacuum. At least I warned them that it was pretty useless

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

Our roomba is really essential for keeping up with our dogs shedding in our hardwood floored apartment

But it gets software updates and I s2g some of them make the roomba 10x worse at pathfinding

My years old Roomba alternates between amazingly accurate sweeps with zero issues and running into the wall next to the charger for 10 mins at a time with every update or so and there's no good way to keep it from updating once you have a firmware that doesn't suck rear end.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just get a shark vacuum from Costco and exchange it every year or so when it stops doing as well as I want it to

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

drat that water could get real bad I definitely wouldn't want to dump it in a toilet

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

My years old Roomba alternates between amazingly accurate sweeps with zero issues and running into the wall next to the charger for 10 mins at a time with every update or so and there's no good way to keep it from updating once you have a firmware that doesn't suck rear end.

Just the other day my Roomba notified me that it was stuck. Came home and it was a foot away from its charging station with zero obstructions.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have an ancient orange Vax which will probably live forever, but if it ever does die then I'll probably just buy a Henry. How can you say no to that face!

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023

Failson posted:

Vacuum cleaners. Do I need to pay $1000 for a "good" one? I'm suspicious it will still be mediocre, and break in six months.

do NOT give dyson any of your money.
he's a tax-dodging brexiteer who deserves to spiral into penury & live on the streets of his adopted home of singapore.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

duncandisorderly posted:

do NOT give dyson any of your money.
he's a tax-dodging brexiteer who deserves to spiral into penury & live on the streets of his adopted home of singapore.

Also his products are universally trash.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Biplane posted:

Get a real job

Buddy e-commerce is like 30 years old, it's a bit late in its life cycle for the 'doing things on the Internet isn't a real job' Boomer canard

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
my name is Boomer Canard

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Buddy e-commerce is like 30 years old, it's a bit late in its life cycle for the 'doing things on the Internet isn't a real job' Boomer canard

falling for the most low effort troll ever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

doctorfrog posted:

I'm kinda sick of big ol' companies just changing the things I have to interface with every day, without notification, without consulting me, without giving me options, and (as with Google) leaving it to me to discover and speculate on what the drat change actually was.

Microsoft pioneered this approach, Google perfected it.

Thunderbird just did this. A new update a month or two ago changed all of the font and it's all closer together and it makes it much harder to read anything. No idea who came up with that idea.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Thunderbird just did this. A new update a month or two ago changed all of the font and it's all closer together and it makes it much harder to read anything. No idea who came up with that idea.

Almost came here and posted when it did that. :arghfist:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's the case of the algorithm determining random videos with a potential to blow up (maybe along with the channel if they are lucky) and brute-force shoving them into everybody's feed. I keep noticing that, a recommended video by a channel with 100 subscribers will have like 2k views , a week later it will show up again with 300k.

I have an incredibly small channel, but out of nowhere one of my videos got a couple thousand views when it's pretty rare for them to crack a couple of dozen. I tried releasing a few other similar videos. One got like 800 views, and a couple got maybe 2 views.

Near as I can tell, poo poo's random.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

satanic splash-back posted:

Why can't you stop it updating?
Why does it have network access to begin with?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Atopian posted:

Why can't you stop it updating?
Why does it have network access to begin with?

Things are all app controlled now. You're not allowed to just press a button on an appliance to make it go. It loving sucks.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hoo boy that discord mobile update! Love to have to tap 15 million times to go from a dm to a server

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The pepperoni that was red on my take home pizza when I bought it was vomit grey today.

It was only in the freezer for a week. Whatever. Just another reason never to be lazy like that again.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the old roombas that just randomly drove around and didnt have a wifi connection were pretty good. my grandma got a first gen roomba and it outlived her. sometimes she had to pick it up and stick it back on the charger when it got lost but not often

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Significant roomba/grandma overlap then.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Grandma got the OTA COVID update

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hoo boy that discord mobile update! Love to have to tap 15 million times to go from a dm to a server

Discord's UI 'updates' have almost been universally awful. Twice they've tried to change the way chat is organized by just adding a ton more white space.

Web design has just ruined everyone's brains it seems. I'm anxiously awaiting a swing back toward 'what if we actually made this functional' instead of where we are now: "Maximum Whitespace. More Whitespace. Can you add some more clicks to this process by chance? HAMBURGER MENUS EVERYWHERE"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Discord is the uncontested king of "new feature" pop ups. Thank you for logging in, please acknowledge this week's sprint by clicking 8 times.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

The update keeps rotating my screen. I have screen rotation perma off so discord is overriding that phone setting.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
If you're curious why something got shittier for what appeared to be no good reason check into it and odds are good you'll find the reason is the company was bought by private equity.

For example I had a dentist who was great. I'd been going there for more than a decade and never had any issues. Just get in twice a year for cleanings, a couple crowns that were handled with no issues, no problem. No upsells or anything.

Then a few years back I noticed their office starting getting terrible. They had tons of issues filing insurance claims even for regular cleanings. They had scheduling issues. They had weird ads all over the place for fancy 3d mouth scanning machines. The hygienists would never last more than a single cleaning when previously I had the same one for probably 5 years. And suddenly none of the office people seemed to have any idea what was going on. They seemed to rotate through incredibly rapidly. One of them asked me to email her regarding a claim and I noticed her email domain was for something called "Heartland Dental", two words that never appeared in the dentist's office.

So I looked up what that is and it turns out my dentist's office was now being run by some "dental support organization"(DSO) which as I understand it is like a dentist's office in a box which handles the business side of a dental practice. I can see how those might make sense if you're a dentist who just wants to dentist but doesn't want to deal with the business side.

But then I looked into that company and found that a little before the office started getting lovely the DSO had been bought by one of the worst of the worst private equity firms in the US with a long history of buying and destroying companies. So I guess that's why my dentist's office got lovely for no good reason. Private equity!

Bonus content:
- Private equity is hoovering up local medical practices as the physicians retire. This is leading to significantly higher prices
- The same PE firm famously destroyed Nabisco in the 90s so that's probably why all the cookies and crackers you remember suck now
- They also bought OverDrive, who makes that app that many public libraries use for eBooks. It has been going downhill ever since. Seriously, people are mad enough to write Substacks about it
- The same firm bought and killed Toys ‘R’ Us
- The same firm is killing actual people in a group home business it bought

7of7 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 7, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bein a dentist who just wants to dentist just means hiring a competent office manager and paying em a living wage

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

bein a dentist who just wants to dentist just means hiring a competent office manager and paying em a living wage

Right?! At least the office manager would probably treat you like a human if there were insurance claim issues instead of just blasting you with increasingly irate computer generated bills every few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I worked for a company that did everything from pharma research to API production to injectable filling/finishing work that got bought out by PE and it was the single biggest disaster I've ever borne witness to.

I made it 2.5 out of the 4 years before the PE company offloaded it after finding out that they were, in fact, totally not the PE company that was gonna figure out how to finally make pharma production and PE work together in perfect synergy.