Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well that's just great, that's loving great. What do we do now???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pennywise the Frown posted:

These new developments in this Aliens show however... well they're just :smith:.

We're all gonna die, the only question is when.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

redshirt posted:

Well that's just great, that's loving great. What do we do now???

This little production executive made a longer screenplay with no ideas and no creativity. Right?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Amidst all this new Alien news, I saw this on Instagram:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why don't you put her in charge?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

Why don't you put her in charge?

I’m trying to, but y’all keep screaming about her eggs opening up and things latching on people’s faces :rolleyes:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Cessna posted:

Oh, great. Wonderful. poo poo.

Some people have a great F bomb, but I love William Hope's delivery of shhitttttt

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm slightly, sir. He's Tootles.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think it's possible for a creator to not understand what made their creation good. I definitely think Ridley Scott doesn't understand what made Alien good.

I'm not even being all "new thing bad" because I think Alien: Isolation and Aliens: Dark Descent were both brilliant uses of the setting. Please let's have people who give a poo poo work on this and not the guy who very publicly has an "I don't know and don't care about the topics of my movies" attitude

edit: Ridley Scott is just executive producer but I blame him for the prequelitis. Please stop trying to make prequels, Aliens and those two games show that sequels work perfectly well without retroactively making the whole setup of the first movie make no sense

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 30, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ridley Scott is an old man who has clearly lost whatever mental faculties he had that allowed him to make a good movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

Ridley Scott is an old man who has clearly lost whatever mental faculties he had that allowed him to make a good movie.

There’s a well-worn adage in the AvP fan community: “Ridley Scott says a lot of things.”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Double-postin’ for a pro loving click:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8PY2LKW/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'll have to take your word for it lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

I'll have to take your word for it lol

You should be able to watch it?

Edit— found it on the official Fox YouTube channel.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm trying but its like all the extra icons are on an overlay that blocks me from playing the video. Could be a skill issue tbh

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

I'm trying but its like all the extra icons are on an overlay that blocks me from playing the video. Could be a skill issue tbh

https://youtu.be/rVrRjt69lhU?si=JB6lD8WN6lbxffgK

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is canon

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Biplane posted:

The Last Duel disproves that alone. And while not a movie, the pilot for Raised By Wolves was handled great.

Even now, having lost a step, I'd trust him every time over every single one of the drooling halfwits screaming "MOAR BUGS MOAR SMART GUNZ".

He's a coward for not going with Nick Cave's insane Gladiator 2 script, mind.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo, he's 86. I didn't realize he was that old.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Even now, having lost a step, I'd trust him every time over every single one of the drooling halfwits screaming "MOAR BUGS MOAR SMART GUNZ".

He's a coward for not going with Nick Cave's insane Gladiator 2 script, mind.

On this we agree

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Holy poo poo, he's 86. I didn't realize he was that old.

Yeah, he was trusted to head up a bunch of expensive advertisements in the 70's; he was well established before he even did movies.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

MrMojok posted:

Kirsh, a synth who acts as a mentor and trainer for Wendy, a character with the body of an adult, but the brain and consciousness of a child.

lmfao

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Evidently I was thinking about Aliens last night because I had an extended dream that featured Aliens merchandise that does not exist.

Like one was an Alien bust (this particular one was a yellow variant with light blue highlights for some reason) and you poured slime into the back of its head and then you pushed a button and it forced the slime out of the Alien’s mouth

Another was a whole line of blind-box miniatures you were supposed to paint, and a range of appropriate colors and a paintbrush in a box set

There was also this kind of build-an-Alien thing where it was sort of like an interlocking puzzle, and when you put it together correctly you ended up with a (red) Alien

There was also like this line of little die-cast figurines about the size of your thumb that were inspired by the Kenner toys

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

BattleMaster posted:

edit: Ridley Scott is just executive producer but I blame him for the prequelitis. Please stop trying to make prequels, Aliens and those two games show that sequels work perfectly well without retroactively making the whole setup of the first movie make no sense

I wonder why prequelitis is such a thing in the big scifi franchises. I guess nobody wanted to tell the story of cloned Ripley coming to earth with Winona Droider. Is it like assumed that there are no xenos left after that and we've had all these prequels so we can have David's reinvented xenos come back with a new bag of tricks?

Predators at least was a move forward in the storyline. But then we go backwards with Prey, which was quite good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

covidstomper58 posted:

I wonder why prequelitis is such a thing in the big scifi franchises. I guess nobody wanted to tell the story of cloned Ripley coming to earth with Winona Droider.

The novel ‘Aliens: Original Sin’ is literally this.

It’s been well over a decade since I read it though so I can’t remember if it’s any good.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Wait, Nick Cave’s what? Is that available to read anywhere or is it just rumored to be insane? Have any of y’all read it? I never gave a poo poo about Gadiator but this is intriguing.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I meant that the storyline didn't develop after Ripley and Winona Droider to a wrecked earf.

At this point its so many years on, and getting those two actors together for another movie would be a lot to ask, they could go off on all sorts of different stuff, off world. And tell other stories and just have maybe a cameo of them being all old on earf getting a comm link going to whatever the main story is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lmao I’m playing Aliens Dark Descent and just completed the tutorial and I’m presented with my first squad of Marines.

Their core traits are as follows: Conspirator, coward, bad luck, and clumsy.

This is gonna go loving great. :stonklol:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Lmao I’m playing Aliens Dark Descent and just completed the tutorial and I’m presented with my first squad of Marines.

The traits your marines have are the most realistic depiction of any military unit I’ve ever seen :laffo:

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

Evidently I was thinking about Aliens last night because I had an extended dream that featured Aliens merchandise that does not exist.

Like one was an Alien bust (this particular one was a yellow variant with light blue highlights for some reason) and you poured slime into the back of its head and then you pushed a button and it forced the slime out of the Alien’s mouth
Never thought about it before but now I'm kinda surprised no one ever did a little decorative recirculating fountain that has the Alien drooling down a chain onto Brett's face.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Wait, Nick Cave’s what? Is that available to read anywhere or is it just rumored to be insane? Have any of y’all read it? I never gave a poo poo about Gadiator but this is intriguing.

Basically, Russell Crowe really wanted to play Maximus again, so he hired his mate Nick Cave to write a script. Nick Cave, Australian musical legend and tormentor of Billy Corgan, is also an acclaimed novelist (And the rear end Saw the Angel and The Death of Bunny Munro), in addition to co-writing John Hillcoat's first film Ghosts... of the Civil Dead (an absolute loving ripper of a prison film) and is the sole screenwriter of what is probably Hillcoat's magnum opus, The Proposition.

The story goes that it focused a lot on the more fantastical and mythological aspects of Roman culture, with Maximus being tasked with killing Haephasteus at the behest of Jupiter, then being resurrected in Lyon, hanging out with his mate Juba, dealing with Emperor Lucius, that lad from the first movie, who has grown up to be as much of a poo poo as his uncle Commodus. It then turns out he's been cursed with immortality, so he lives through all the historical events, so you'd see Maximus wrecking people's poo poo in events like the Crusades, the World Wars, etc., and then working at the Pentagon in the modern day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Another was a whole line of blind-box miniatures you were supposed to paint, and a range of appropriate colors and a paintbrush in a box set

There was also this kind of build-an-Alien thing where it was sort of like an interlocking puzzle, and when you put it together correctly you ended up with a (red) Alien

There was also like this line of little die-cast figurines about the size of your thumb that were inspired by the Kenner toys

My dreams are usually much more terrifying.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

e4 mafia representing even in the 22nd century.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Prey sequel in the works, set in WWII following a Native American windtalker.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Bulgaroctonus posted:

https://davidgerard.co.uk/gladiator-2-nick-cave.pdf if you want the entire bonkers thing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cautiously optimistic. This is the formula. Just grab a cool period/place, make the characters vaguely interesting and drop in a predator.

Here's an idea I just had- "Predator: Great White Hunter." Beff Jezos, mega-trillionaire is on safari with a party of similarly will heeled-ultra rich. The ghouls take trophy photos with their kills of white rhonos and poo poo. You add one or two sympathetic characters for your Final Person. Say a kindly but capable great-niece who got dragged along under protest and just wants to enjoy the scenery, and a resentful local guide/fixer who needs the money but has a crisis of conscious even before they start getting picked off.

If you really want to gild the lily this predator has ultra-sleek even by Yuatja standards gear, and instead of skinning his kills, he just props up the ragdoll body, pops out a little drone and does a hologram scan we see him transmit back to his ship and relay to the homeworld.

Hire me Fox.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Holy poo poo. This is the best news.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Work in something about pilots on both sides seeing predator ships, calling them UFOs, and blaming the other, with a predator skulking about somewhere in the pacific island campaign and I’m loving sold.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If it doesn't feature a suspiciously European soldier among the American troops (I assume there'll be American soldiers) who mentions he'll give his kid a name that pays tribute to his homeland of the Netherlands, then I'll be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

I think it's possible for a creator to not understand what made their creation good. I definitely think Ridley Scott doesn't understand what made Alien

I'm not even being all "new thing bad" because I think Alien: Isolation and Aliens: Dark Descent were both brilliant uses of the setting. Please let's have people who give a poo poo work on this and not the guy who very publicly has an "I don't know and don't care about the topics of my movies" attitude

Not touched Isolation but Dark Descent is excellent. It's basically real-time (with pause) X-Com in the Aliens universe, and it'll be very reasonably priced in the Xmas Steam sale.