Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what was the first game with that layout, melvor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

baram. posted:

Idlescape I think. Melvor was a clone of it iirc.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

dipwood posted:

What in particular made you like it more than Idlewood?

I’m not sure why, but I bounced off idlewood hard. Perhaps I didn’t give it enough time, but it felt initially I was just afking to make stuff to afk more and there wasn’t much more to it.

With this one, the goals seemed clearer at the start and there felt like there was more to the gameplay loop. Combat fighting different things, server bosses, skills raising character stats, recipes and drops coming from combat. It just had more plates to spin right off the bat.

They are very similar though and someone with more experience with Idlewood may be able to say they are closer than I realize if I had given it more time.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

edgeman83 posted:

I watched an advent calendar video on Youtube a little while ago and that jogged a memory of the Advent Incremental game from last year. Each day has a different mini game that builds off of the previous days. I have played the first two days and man, I never thought I could have nostalgia from something a year old.
https://www.thepaperpilot.org/advent/

It's pretty good so far. An interesting idea for an idler that you can plink away at.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

It's pretty good so far. An interesting idea for an idler that you can plink away at.

It was good last year, and it’s good again this year. I can see it being a yearly play.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

In gooboo, can't really figure out how cryo affects farming. None of my plants seem to be getting xp. Is it only the ones on thr field?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
It's only the ones that are at a lower level than their highest ever level, so mostly effective right after resetting a few plants.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Red Minjo posted:

It's only the ones that are at a lower level than their highest ever level, so mostly effective right after resetting a few plants.

Whaaaat...... goddamnit.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Jhet posted:

It was good last year, and it’s good again this year. I can see it being a yearly play.

Unfortunately I think it's a bit broken. I'm getting weird effects and periodic failures to refresh, and having just gotten to the factory, it fails to render entirely for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm far enough along in Melvor now that I'm making more money in Township than it costs to maintain it so every hour I'm getting ~5m or so; that plus selling stacks of 120 level perfect cooked fish for 60m a stack gave me enough spare money to slowly accrue bank slots over time and really allow me the freedom to start loving around with other non-combat skills. Archaeology/Cartography are neat and provide a lot of trinkets that improve skills/combat. It's actually been really satisfying progressing in the various non-combat skills and having most of them provide bonuses to make it go faster which was something I complained about the game not doing when I first started it, just took me a while to get to that point. That said, combat progression is still a mess for me, and I think it's just due to a lack of a feel of progression. Like there are a number of locked dungeons and stuff that I will have to unlock but for the most part I'm just following the combat guide on the wiki which is a bit eh.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

explosivo posted:

I'm far enough along in Melvor now that I'm making more money in Township than it costs to maintain it so every hour I'm getting ~5m or so; that plus selling stacks of 120 level perfect cooked fish for 60m a stack gave me enough spare money to slowly accrue bank slots over time and really allow me the freedom to start loving around with other non-combat skills. Archaeology/Cartography are neat and provide a lot of trinkets that improve skills/combat. It's actually been really satisfying progressing in the various non-combat skills and having most of them provide bonuses to make it go faster which was something I complained about the game not doing when I first started it, just took me a while to get to that point. That said, combat progression is still a mess for me, and I think it's just due to a lack of a feel of progression. Like there are a number of locked dungeons and stuff that I will have to unlock but for the most part I'm just following the combat guide on the wiki which is a bit eh.

Hot tip for combat: get Auto Eat 3.

And then from there, you just gear up with whatever your highest available armor is that you can craft. Right now, if I need to try hard as melee? Full gold-trim dragon set with an Elite Amulet of Defense and a Silver Diamond Ring. Just build Damage Reduction like mad.

Ranged/Magic will need extra stuff. But you can sorta fudge Magic with air staves and firing off Air spells, all while in Air Wizard gear (+20 minimum damage. Not percentage, just add 20 to your lowest possible attack).

Ranged is tricky to build for. For one, you need Leather and Hard Leather to start. Then you need to make a bow and arrows. And once you hit 40? Gotta farm Dragons now. Granted, you could get away with farming for Ice Arrows - they boost your damage by a considerable account vs something like steel/mithril arrows.

And all of these are BEFORE your consumables like potions/scrolls/summons.

That said, I did get a rec to get your 100 Volcanic Cave clears as melee. What I did was get the full dragon plate set, then a Sunset Rapier (Pirate Booty rare item) and a Sandstorm Ring (Tuskul Beast rare item). Then food up and idle that poo poo.

Anything else I'm missing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang, thank you, that should help immensely. I do already have auto eat 3 and can make as many gold star whales as I need for healing so thankfully that's not really an issue anymore. It's really just the tedium of leveling everything that makes me think "ehhh i could maybe just get a couple more levels in firemaking instead".

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

There have been times where I just left a dungeon or specific monster overnight. The gains via that are loving high, even before I equip gold farm gear (Top Hat from Township, either Gold Topaz Neck or Amulet of Looting (Spider Chest rare item) if you got bank space, and then Aorpheat's Signet Ring). Each successful hit gives 430ish gold regardless of damage.

But yeah, you ought to stick with melee to start. Maybe even stick to Defensive attacks until your Defense is stupid.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

baram. posted:

maybe?,

anyway I remember playing a game like melvor, but was not a incremental, but a RPG / social sim / life in a medieval world simulator. maybe 10 years ago or more.

it had everything Melvor had, and zones, you would have a "travelling screen" and would gain travel XP moving to a area to other, also different areas would have different trees and stuff, and you could pickpoint other players in these areas

Melvin looks to me crude, compared to that game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Melvor for me at this point is almost purely numbers go up, which is probably why I'm so averse to combat because that requires some forethought and preparation. It's got nowhere near the complexity of NGU but it's got that same vibe for me where it looks like a spreadsheet at times but once you get into it there's a decent amount to chew on. It helps that there's a mobile version that is identical to the browser and cloud saves keep me synced between the two.

Also I'm just now realizing how insane the mastery is for cartography.

Surveying the entire map is one thing but having to go back and hit all of the level 2's on the map after that is :psyduck:. I'm level 76 cartography right now and I have 6 of these mastered. That said, the first two rewards are really the big ones and those seem slightly more manageable.

Edit: vvv yep that's the one i've been following too. Making gradual progress but now I'm distracted by cartography/archaeology

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 12, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://wiki.melvoridle.com/w/Combat_Guide#Melee_gear_progression

i haven't played melvor for ages but i used this guide to almost completely death-free go from basic dungeons to dark waters after ignoring combat as much as i could

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tei posted:

maybe?,

anyway I remember playing a game like melvor, but was not a incremental, but a RPG / social sim / life in a medieval world simulator. maybe 10 years ago or more.

it had everything Melvor had, and zones, you would have a "travelling screen" and would gain travel XP moving to a area to other, also different areas would have different trees and stuff, and you could pickpoint other players in these areas

Melvin looks to me crude, compared to that game.

Amaranthine? The goon guild was still active and gaining the last time I checked. It’s fun, strange, and the grind is effectively infinite. The big downside just eventually got to me and I dropped it.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Is "Advent Incremental" down for anyone else?

I've been refreshing https://www.thepaperpilot.org/advent/ for the last few hours and it's just a blank screen.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Chakan posted:

Amaranthine? The goon guild was still active and gaining the last time I checked. It’s fun, strange, and the grind is effectively infinite. The big downside just eventually got to me and I dropped it.

Could be Amaranthine. And maybe Amaranthine is not even the first game with this kind of gameplay.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tei posted:

Could be Amaranthine. And maybe Amaranthine is not even the first game with this kind of gameplay.

It isn’t, but I can’t remember the names for older games, and Amaranthine came up in this thread. The game even got its own thread.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's the good link to play Gooboo at? The one that the Java for cheating the school works for.

My favorite got messed up somehow (drat you Chrome).

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

PaleFigure posted:

I've been refreshing https://www.thepaperpilot.org/advent/ for the last few hours and it's just a blank screen.

I never played it but currently it does not load anything for me in Chrome or Firefox.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's been like a month or two of Melvor for me and I'm starting to do my prep for the Volcanic Dungeon. Melee is ready, I just have to get the Paladin Gloves to drop and open my Booty Chests and pray for the rapier.

I've run out of things that I can actively play for like 20 minutes at a time (except cartography/archeology but lmao I ain't got the bank slots for that). My timers have inflated to 8hr to 2 days. I'm about 3 days out from getting enough gold to buy the 100 mil Bank Tab which I assume doubles my inventory space.

Overall I'm feeling good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

It's been like a month or two of Melvor for me and I'm starting to do my prep for the Volcanic Dungeon. Melee is ready, I just have to get the Paladin Gloves to drop and open my Booty Chests and pray for the rapier.

I've run out of things that I can actively play for like 20 minutes at a time (except cartography/archeology but lmao I ain't got the bank slots for that). My timers have inflated to 8hr to 2 days. I'm about 3 days out from getting enough gold to buy the 100 mil Bank Tab which I assume doubles my inventory space.

Overall I'm feeling good.

Before you spend 100m that you waited 3 days for, the extra bank tab just gives you another tab for sorting things into. It doesn't actually boost your inventory space. I would hate for you to be disappointed :(

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

PaleFigure posted:

Had the same problem and clearing the cache worked for me. In Chrome, open the page and Ctrl + F5. Dunno if the same shortcut works in other browsers. This will also delete any progress you've made if you have no backup.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Melvor is a lot of fun once it clicks. I'm at the point where I've completed the god dungeons and need to do into the mist. I think reading this guide and finally understanding why I was doing all the things is what turned it around for me: https://wiki.melvoridle.com/w/Combat_Guide

I highly recommend using the mod manager and snagging a few things.

SEMI Auto Farming
SEMI Auto Master
SEMI Drop Chances
Will I Die?
ETA

All those automate some of the annoying parts of gameplay or enhance the stuff that is already there.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait what? I'm so confused. Because I can make a bunch of tabs that all share that 126 bank slots. So there's a limit to that and an extra one costs 100 mil. Bananas.

I just loaded up the game, I see how I misinterpreted the UI. Oh well. Got enough whale meat, goblin summons, and 50 mil. Gonna go ahead and put that money to finally taxing my lvl 112 township.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Wait what? I'm so confused. Because I can make a bunch of tabs that all share that 126 bank slots. So there's a limit to that and an extra one costs 100 mil. Bananas.

I just loaded up the game, I see how I misinterpreted the UI. Oh well. Got enough whale meat, goblin summons, and 50 mil. Gonna go ahead and put that money to finally taxing my lvl 112 township.

Definitely recommend prioritizing the Town Hall asap

An automatic 5m per hour is a huge boon to your ability to upgrade storage capacity and not have to worry about space anymore

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

explosivo posted:

Definitely recommend prioritizing the Town Hall asap

An automatic 5m per hour is a huge boon to your ability to upgrade storage capacity and not have to worry about space anymore

gently caress, that might be my next big buy. I got to 99 without it somehow.

KirbyKhan posted:

And Sandstorm Ring from the Sand Beast. To make sure you're doing more special attacks.

And then lmao Sunset Rapier gets replaced with Ancient Sword due to a 100% proc rate on Life Leech or whatever it was called.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Because Melvor is very upfront about the stealth/stealing formula, it is very trivial to get yourself into a position to do a 100% safe thieving idle, and then start stacking up massive gold bonuses while stockpiling useful materials and items. Buy the consumable stealing gloves, tough it out in Low Town until you can safely idle there, and build up as you go. Thanks to a variety of bonus and +gp items (including the rare drop gloves from the Thief monster and the Golden Wreath from archaeology) I can basically sit on the Acolyte or Wizard indefinitely, getting 1-6k gold every 1.6 seconds, and stockpiling so many runes that my runecrafting skill is hilariously low in comparison.

It doesn’t compare to some of the top end gold spigots like a fully taxed township or capped out Agility course (seen screenshots of a course that’s like 283k gold every few seconds), but it comes online way easier than you might think and alleviates a ton of potential resource and gear pressures, and as long as you just make sure your thieving target can’t one shot you with auto-eat on you can scale up as you go.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm taking Melvor extremely lax. Maxed out fishing and then township, 99+ on woodcutting, firemaking, cooking, astrology and summoning. Didn't notice how rich I was getting until the above posts and was able to buy 100 bank slots all at once like it was nothing. At 217 and looks like I could jump up another 100 in a few days.

Once I max astrology and invest a ton of dust I'll probably shift to metals and such to craft the better tools, then combat or flesh out agility more.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've never played melvor but it sounds like RuneScape idle lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grapplejack posted:

I've never played melvor but it sounds like RuneScape idle lol

It literally is.

Edit: It started out as a runescape "inspired" idler but I think jagex is the publisher now. Or maybe it always was.

Edit 2: It always was

vv :tipshat:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 13, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Always was runescape

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tingus Goose User on Reddit posted:

I am trying to post here since this is the main place I'm seeing people post about this game. The creator of this game has a discord where they asked people to sign up for a focus group. When sending emails for the focus group, they utterly failed to use BCC. Now strangers have my email address, I have theirs, and I've been getting a huge influx of spam email since signing up.

I want to warn others before they try getting involved in the Tingus Goose groups and get their data compromised too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/18hifbw/tingus_goose_data_breach/

Whoopsie Doodle and Unconfirmed but the Goose is on the Loose possibly

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Virigoth posted:

Whoopsie Doodle and Unconfirmed but the Goose is on the Loose possibly

More concerning is exposing you as someone who is really into Tingus Goose to your friends and family. Just absolute prime blackmail material.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Part of why I like Melvor is it has the flavor and general silliness of RuneScape without having to actually put in the disproportionate skilling effort to do the quests myself; but it also has the absurd numbers of an idle game, so I can roll into combat with six thousand apple pies to snack on.

Also someone mentioned needing dragonhides for crafting - the shop sells leather and hides up through red dragonhide, so you can avoid having to farm hides until black dragons and minimize dealing with dragonbreath attacks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The township tasks did a lot of heavy lifting for hooking me in. Just a plethora of goals you can achieve in like 20-60 minutes that encourage you to spread time across all the skillsets. Then you run out of those and the goals take 2-6 hours. Then you run out of those and suddenly I'm spending 2 days crafting Yew Bows so I can press the buttons required to knock out task 58-60. I want that next slot of township gear God damnit. I also have every skill above 20 now so maybe I should finally get the combined skilling XP hat but... Wait I forgot that requires a token that you can't buy until you get 80 tasks which is bullshit gently caress you game. So I just buy the specific hat for anytime I'm idling for XP and then sell it to rexlaim

I've gone through this mental loop like 20 times. looking for ways to cut bag space for the next 8hr project.

Overall I have been satisfied by this idle game. Genuinely. It is good number go up. Far kinder than RuneScape.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

How does township gear work, I've basically ignored tasks because I thought they'd just distract me from setting up my early income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atoramos posted:

How does township gear work, I've basically ignored tasks because I thought they'd just distract me from setting up my early income.

Some of the tasks give money and other useful items!

If you check the shop a lot of the township related items require completing X number of township tasks (these are the static and defined ones) before you can buy them. This also applies to a number of trades you can do with the township trading post. A lot of these items give skill specific XP boosts. It seems like 95 tasks is the last tier of unlocks (and this total includes new tasks added with the two expansions).

Casual tasks are separate, some rng tasks you get up to five times a day, which provide scaling gold/xp (and slayer coins for combat tasks) rewards. AFAIK those don’t unlock anything for doing a certain number of them.