Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Phlegmish posted:

I assume you can choose who you play as/romance?

Sure can, and game is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

one handed angel

isn't that Madame M

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zaphiel posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Backpack Hero in this thread. Or I missed under the games are bad now chat.

Backpack Hero is a turn-based rogue-like where you play as a mouse with a magical ever-expanding backpack, delving deep into an ever-changing dungeon to find her missing mother. You've got your standard Slay The Spire/Monster Train trappings of energy, deterministic combat, block that lasts one turn, spikes, etc, but the twist is that every item you carry is represented in your backpack, where placement rules and the number of spaces you have in it matter.

You will be playing placement Tetris in your backpack and it is glorious.

Sure, you have your Wooden Sword that has 7 damage, but if you place it adjacent to your Bronze Amour, that's +1 damage! But you better make sure your Bronze Amour is next to your Leather Cap, so it can get +1 to block, and that your Leather Cap is in the top row, so it can get max block as well.

When you level up, you get to choose how your backpack will grow and expand, so maybe if you have the Right Glove (For each space to the left, this item gets +0.5 block), you're going to expand your backpack waaay to the left.

The game also showers you in items, so there are always interesting choices and way to build up your run.

I'm currently playing Story Mode, where you unlock characters and items by doing specific challenges which help teach you about the different mechanics. You build up your destroyed town by helping villagers with dungeon related requests and building buildings that will auto generate resources for you while you're exploring the dungeon.

But if you just want to go on a run, there's a quick play mode where you can just dive in with everything unlocked.

I've unlocked 3 characters so far and they all play extremely differently than the default character!

This game has just been a blast for me to play. Often, I spend more time on the rewards screen, organizing my backpack than I do actually fighting. It's so incredibly satisfying when you get a good build going by placing items just so and you go from someone who is struggling to survive to an untouchable powerhouse.

I am enjoying playing this but I am also feeling GOTY anxiety where I'm like "should i keep playing this or spend time on other things that could make my top ten, will this make my top ten?"

I just defeated the King and they were like "oh the true evil is in the next level" lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Worth noting for Backpack Hero is that you can play the demo for free in your browser:
https://thejaspel.itch.io/backpack-hero

I didn't particularly like how it developed between the early demo versions and its release on Steam (the new heroes they added didn't interact with the inventory tetris side of things very much, which was... kind of the entire point of the game, and it at least used to require pretty strictly specific builds to get a win) but it looks like it has changed a lot since I last played it (the story mode wasn't in before) so I should give it another shot sometime

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 7, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao vampire survivors adventures has dropped alongside a trailer for their next dlc: among us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMUJ_YMPlY

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ghostlight posted:

lmao vampire survivors adventures has dropped alongside a trailer for their next dlc: among us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMUJ_YMPlY

Wishlisted. Even if I don’t play it much, if it’s VS style & prices I’m happy to throw a few bucks at the developer because I’ve enjoyed playing and replaying that drat game for years now, even if I go from ignoring it to marathon game sessions (in 30m chunks, of course).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I appreciate the disparity between the stock asset sprites and high production quality anime promo videos

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Fruits of the sea posted:

I appreciate the disparity between the stock asset sprites and high production quality anime promo videos

When we get home I'll make you a vampire survivors just as good as store bought just you wait

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Wishlisted. Even if I don’t play it much, if it’s VS style & prices I’m happy to throw a few bucks at the developer because I’ve enjoyed playing and replaying that drat game for years now, even if I go from ignoring it to marathon game sessions (in 30m chunks, of course).

Yeah, even though personally games like Holocure and Halls of Torment have overtaken its spot as best VS title for me, it's such an affordable game that I'm more than happy to throw a couple bucks their way

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Azran posted:

Yeah, even though personally games like Holocure and Halls of Torment have overtaken its spot as best VS title for me, it's such an affordable game that I'm more than happy to throw a couple bucks their way

Halls of Torment just nails the execution on every level.
It's up there with Dead Cells for one of my favourite 2-d games in the last several years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Detective Grimoire 3 (2024) https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696770/The_Mermaids_Tongue/

Nirvana Noir (Sequel to Genesis Noir) (TBD) https://store.steampowered.com/app/1287610/Nirvana_Noir/

Umurangi Generation VR

https://twitter.com/UmurangiGame/status/1732551137709134292

Kind Words 2: City Pop (TBA) https://store.steampowered.com/app/2118120/Kind_Words_2_lofi_city_pop/

Lastly, Digital Eclipse's latest project: Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story (2024) https://store.steampowered.com/app/2236680/Llamasoft_The_Jeff_Minter_Story/

42 of Jeff Minter's games playable and also presented in documentary form (like how DE handled Karateka this year)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 7, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

132/132 talos 2 puzzles done .I am completely and utterly puzzled out for the time being

Overall the game's a must-play for the puzzle genre and a slam dunk of a sequel. loved the environments.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Those are a bunch of the Day of the Dev games, right?

My favorite of the bunch is RESISTOR, which I am somehow simultaneously extremely excited about and completely convinced is going to be absolutely asinine. It's a really weird, bubbly feeling!

Maybe I was just so disappointed in Gripper and the Champion Shift demo that I'm projecting hard onto the next racing game that lets you blow stuff up.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 7, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Photography is really fun In VR, I've really wanted a photo focused game for a while. Really looking forward to this.

E: I just realized how hard the ending's gonna hit when you've spent the game taking selfies with your pals.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Oh holy poo poo a new Detective Grimoire game? I loved the vibes of the 2nd one way back when I tried out apple arcade out for a bit, glad to see the series continue, it was so long ago I thought the thing was just dead in the water after the cliff hanger ending of the 2nd one.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I never checked it out on mobile, but apparently FFVII Ever Crisis just hit Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2484110/FINAL_FANTASY_VII_EVER_CRISIS/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u3lJUgkFrE

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I love they're still following the weird AC, BC, CC, DC, EC naming convention weirdness.

edit for clarification: Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, this one

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So it's a ported mobile game? Weird. It's 'free' and has in-game purchases I presume?

And uh, if they're already at EC, what was the A-D entries? I know there was one major reboot a couple of ago, Steam tells me that there was a standalone Yuffie expansion (??), but what else?

edit: Oh you changed your post, gonna go look up those titles now. Weird, I'm totally a FF7 fanboy as I loved the series when it released, but man have I NOT been hearing about all this stuff.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress! How did I miss that! gently caress!

Posting for the first time here to say this was a real let down and low point for the thread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

So it's a ported mobile game? Weird. It's 'free' and has in-game purchases I presume?

And uh, if they're already at EC, what was the A-D entries? I know there was one major reboot a couple of ago, Steam tells me that there was a standalone Yuffie expansion (??), but what else?

edit: Oh you changed your post, gonna go look up those titles now. Weird, I'm totally a FF7 fanboy as I loved the series when it released, but man have I NOT been hearing about all this stuff.

it's a super pay to win gacha game that even gacha game players dont like for being too greedy hth

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

I love they're still following the weird AC, BC, CC, DC, EC naming convention weirdness.

edit for clarification: Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, this one

Does that mean there's a FF7 soccer game coming up next? Megaman Soccer but with Cloud n' Pals?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Serephina posted:

You have After Crisis, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and now this one.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Fruits of the sea posted:

Reminds me of the quality of Merge Mansion commercials, and kind of makes me wish they'd make a TV show or something as hell I'll ever play that mobile game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Azran posted:

You have After Crisis, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and now this one.

I will now be forever irritated that it isn't called Dirge of Crisis

e: wait it's Advent Children not After Crisis this entire naming convention was ruined from the start

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Waiting for 'gently caress! Crisis!' now

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Remake Dino Crisis as part of the FF7 verse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ever (milked for cash) Crisis

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
should have been During Crisis

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imxSXI1IYVs

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Defender’s Quest 2 developer Lars Doucet has had to step away after his son suffered severe brain damage and was placed in hospice care. :(

Really tragic, that’s about the worst thing I can imagine happening.

The game was slated to release in 2023/2024. The other folks in LLL have taken over but the release date is anyone’s guess

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I assume you can choose who you play as/romance? Game doesn't look half bad, kind of like a graphically updated Stardew Valley.

Anyway, the actual best dating sim is, of course, Baldur's Gate 3.

Also because I don't think it was stated, full gay options for everyone. So you can marry all the bachelorettes as a woman, all the bachelors* as a man.

* one bachelor is a gently caress boy who won't ever marry you though regardless of sex.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 7, 2023

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Heck yeah! I absolutely loved Detective Grimoire/Tangle Tower! Tangle Tower's music and visuals were top notch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also because I don't think it was stated, full gay options for everyone. So you can marry all the bachelorettes as a woman, all the bachelors* as a man.

* one bachelor is a gently caress boy who won't ever marry you though regardless of sex.

Cool, cool. I just wishlisted it, which means I'll probably get around to playing it in 2029

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Owl Inspector posted:

Overall the game's a must-play for the puzzle genre and a slam dunk of a sequel. loved the environments.

:hai:

The last one gave me a strong Myst vibe.

I have quibbles with the story and some of the backtracking involved, and the robot people are way too polite and "let's agree to disagree"-y, but I guess it makes sense. The through line of both games is that people are fundamentally good, but trapped in their circumstances. It's strangely optimistic for a game where basically everyone is extremely dead.

Also, still :psyduck: that the first game wasn't just a fluke, the Serious Sam people really are able to make games that ask some pretty big questions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Home sweet home.

So I've kinda been sucked into OBENSEUER
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Obenseuer/

What is it? Well...

If you're into bleak urban realism, exploration, breaking and entering, farming legal and illegal crops, crafting, being the worlds best/worst landlord your pick, it might be for you.

My current character is an alcohol mushroom addicted kleptomaniac grandma scurrying all over the place rooting through trash with an axe and a sledgehammer in each hand breaking into things she shouldnt be breaking into. So far shes found a dead body, fallen into the river, practiced a lot of lockpicking, stolen several solid silver bars, been sweating out her addictions in the sauna and keeping a giant bin of stolen goods labeled ‘construction supplies’. I've started getting a derelict tenement (its surrounded by biohazard signs for some reason) into shape for people to move into. Its pretty awful yet compelling?

Its still in early access, but the devs (who also did INFRA) are getting back into it after a little hiatus and are making quick progress on the game. It currently spans one very dense city block but there's a large amount planned to be added to the game.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So it's basically A SWEATY FATBEARD: The Game?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I did not know Control was set in the same universe as Alan Wake. Huh. Alan Wake's tone seems sillier in comparison.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wintermutant posted:

So it's basically A SWEATY FATBEARD: The Game?

Exactly

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone planning on grabbing Rogue Trader today? I want it, but I think I'm gonna wait. Never played their other games but general consensus seems to be "likely buggy". Can't seem to find any pricing info anywhere and even though it comes out in a few hours Steam doesn't have a price listed :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kind Words 1 is a wonderful game but nothing in the announcement of the sequel sounded appealing at all.