Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has experience with Monster Hunter Ri:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rise kicks rear end.

Sunbreak even moreso

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

maybeadracula posted:

Up
Up
Down
Down
Left
Right
Left
Right
Select a new wife
Start over

lmao this thread produces such gold sometimes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Martman posted:

it's kinda odd and I'm glad it helped the creator themselves and hope some people can find that value in it, but for me it speaks to the reason the story doesn't work at all. the entire story of the game feels like a victory lap, like your characters are already utterly convinced they're gonna win from about an hour in and there aren't really any interesting struggles or dramatic beats as a result.

Huh, I kind of had the opposite reaction. I thought the protagonists were kind of dull, but I appreciated their consistent "well we can give up or keep pushing forward, and I'd rather try and fail than not try at all" attitude. That and the big mid-game climax where their old mentors betrayed them and got a whole lot of people killed in the process, and Val and Zal just straight up refuse to listen to their tragic backstory and rationalization, and will only ever fight them or tell them to gently caress off.

It's not a major thing, but I love to see it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
So, Outer Wilds is supposed to be released today but I have yet to see any preview or review of it and its performance, which is making me nervous.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rise kicks rear end.

Sunbreak even moreso

I've never played an MH game before. I tried the demo for Rise and I'm not 100% sure it's up my alley, but the demo also seems pretty small and contained to the specific fights it offers. I haven't quite found a weapon I really like, as they all seem pretty complicated, but maybe that's part of the experience. How does the main game differ from what the demo has in it?

I downloaded Monster Hunter Stories 2 in the meantime, and that's a bit more my speed, being a turn-based JRPG kind of thing, but I've always wanted to try regular Monster Hunter stuff before.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Main game has a bit more on-boarding - you'll never get, like, an all-out tutorial for how you should be using your weapons and their movesets (there is a practice room where you can look up your equipped weapon combos and freely whack a training dummy complete with DPS readout), but it will ease you into the need to actually use the full extent of your kit, as slowly as you like - the "Village" quests are basically an extended tutorial that can only be undertaken solo- monster stats are scaled down, and you'll go from hunting mushrooms to climbing the ranks of the lower tier monsters (basically capping out at the Cover Monster), while the "Hub" quests are more like hitting the ground running - but if you complete the Village quests you'll be allowed to skip to where the game roughly expects your skill to have been honed to, to continue the story and monster progression. Hub quests can be done solo or multiplayer, and monsters scale up from their actual base stats the more players that are along for the hunt.

One thing I'll suggest if you do end up picking it up anytime soon - as a first-time player, I'd recommend you don't use the Black Belt armor/Defender weapons if you see them available. They're stronger than practically all the base game gear, and cheap to boot, because their real intended purpose is quickly grinding through the base game to start playing the expansion (whereupon they almost immediately drop off in effectiveness), and will likely lead to picking up some bad habits and minimize the need to learn individual monster quirks and tells along the way, and you don't really want to start learning monsters for real when they're so much stronger and more aggressive.

But I'd also suggest that, by all means, you should continue to enjoy Monster Hunter Stories 2 first.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HackensackBackpack posted:

I've never played an MH game before. I tried the demo for Rise and I'm not 100% sure it's up my alley, but the demo also seems pretty small and contained to the specific fights it offers. I haven't quite found a weapon I really like, as they all seem pretty complicated, but maybe that's part of the experience. How does the main game differ from what the demo has in it?

I downloaded Monster Hunter Stories 2 in the meantime, and that's a bit more my speed, being a turn-based JRPG kind of thing, but I've always wanted to try regular Monster Hunter stuff before.

Rise was also my first MH game and yeah I wasn't too sure on it the first i duno maybe even up to 20 hours? But now it's probably a top 3 Switch game for me. Definitely one of the all timers.

It really helps once you settle on a weapon that works for you. Once you get over the initial hump of getting used to the sorta awkward controls and get used to the gameplay loop I found the game hella good. And honestly demo wise, i'd say its more for MH veterans who want to get a taste of how a couple of the new monsters will fight like than for total newcomers. There's a lot of variety to the fights in Rise proper, but also its a game of just fights.

If the demo gets one thing right for newbies thought its that the game itself is just a bunch of giant monster boss fights, and if that's not super appealing i'd say skip it. But if that sounds like a good time totally go for it, the game is amazing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I have played hundreds of hours of monhun by myself, over many console generations

I can't even imagine how incredible it is with friends

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, I kind of had the opposite reaction. I thought the protagonists were kind of dull, but I appreciated their consistent "well we can give up or keep pushing forward, and I'd rather try and fail than not try at all" attitude. That and the big mid-game climax where their old mentors betrayed them and got a whole lot of people killed in the process, and Val and Zal just straight up refuse to listen to their tragic backstory and rationalization, and will only ever fight them or tell them to gently caress off.

It's not a major thing, but I love to see it.
I see what you mean and I think I'm struggling to pinpoint what felt so limp about it to me. I think there's a big difference between a literal struggle existing in the plot, vs. a struggle where we the player are invested and worried about how the characters are going to react. Just as you're saying, Val and Zal don't ever really struggle to handle their mentors' decision. It's just straight up "oh, turned out you are bad guys too. we are not tempted at all to join your side so gently caress off" and that's exactly what I find dramatically inert about it. It's a betrayal in plot terms but we're watching it in a way where there's never any question about where anyone's loyalty will lie... to bring up the obvious comparison, the whole Darth Vader reveal of Star Wars is so important because it does more than just surprise us about who the bad guys are, it makes the good guy question his mission. I don't think there's a single moment in SoS where the main three genuinely question themselves. It feels like they're just... beyond that or something. Like, they very much are the Chosen Ones, and the only really important plot twist is that Garl is also a Chosen One

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
This Lego fortnite thing im seeing articles on seems like the best idea in video game history, what's the catch?

Heck, what do you spend money on in fortnite? The different minifigs will each be $1?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

This Lego fortnite thing im seeing articles on seems like the best idea in video game history, what's the catch?

Heck, what do you spend money on in fortnite? The different minifigs will each be $1?

You can buy cosmetics for your character. Skin, pickaxe, emotes, stuff like that. They made Lego versions of "over 1,200" normal Fortnite outfits, so you can purchase something for ~V-Bucks~ in the Fortnite store and it's useable in both the normal Fortnite game and in the Lego game. A lot of emotes/dances have been ported over too.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Lmao thread title :sugartits:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Pinterest Mom posted:

You can buy cosmetics for your character. Skin, pickaxe, emotes, stuff like that. They made Lego versions of "over 1,200" normal Fortnite outfits, so you can purchase something for ~V-Bucks~ in the Fortnite store and it's useable in both the normal Fortnite game and in the Lego game. A lot of emotes/dances have been ported over too.

Neat. I've never let my kid play fortnite so I doubt he will care about those skins, but playing as chase McCain should be fun.

This game looks like the perfect combo of Minecraft/valheim/etc but even better. I shouldn't get my hopes up too much

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

otter posted:

I legitimately LOLed. Wife asked what was so funny. I just said “goons”.

I just had a flashback to before we were married and we played a ton of dr Mario and stuff on my original Xbox which was hacked. She complained about the controller being old and blaming it for losing. So I bought her a new Xbox controller as one of her Christmas gifts and she was pissed.

guy your wife stories are legit the most depressing thing i've read on this website in years, you should make a thread about it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

lol

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

My wife loves to watch me play Yakuza, but when I played Three Houses docked she wouldn't stop laughing about the name "Faerghus" for weeks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Star posted:

So, Outer Wilds is supposed to be released today but I have yet to see any preview or review of it and its performance, which is making me nervous.

I've been very cautious as well because it took so long to port because of performance. The fairly generous pre-order sale was also a bit of a red flag for me. Going to wait this one out .

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

roomtwofifteen posted:

My wife loves to watch me play Yakuza, but when I played Three Houses docked she wouldn't stop laughing about the name "Faerghus" for weeks

Same, though. There are some really bad names in that game! I especially liked Dmitri Alexandre von Blaiddyd, a guy with four words in his name, each of which drawn from a totally unrelated language.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Same! I picked it up a few years ago and got part way into it. I was thinking about resuming it over the weekend but I’m having a hard time finding time between finishing Pikmin 4 and I recently resumed Slay the Spire and now that’s on my mind.

It’s rough being a gamer is limited time.

Oh man I hear you. Finally wrapped up TotK and I want to start Pikmin 4, but I want to do it right and I never have time to play the big-screen so I'm just doing a daily match of Splatoon if anything, a bit of Steamworld Quest (which is somewhat dull honestly but I'm only on ch 8), and Fallblox on my 3DS before bed. Which sounds like a lot but it's really 15-30 mins tops.

roomtwofifteen posted:

My wife still gives me poo poo about Octopath Traveler and constant "Professor!" said in... in breathy high-pitched tones. Generally very "anime" (for lack of a better word) voice-work makes her give me long side-glances before she rips into me. Link's constant grunts don't help either and I know Engage will be murder.

Bug Squash posted:

I've been very cautious as well because it took so long to port because of performance. The fairly generous pre-order sale was also a bit of a red flag for me. Going to wait this one out .

There's unplayable and unplayable. If it's janky and slowing down whatever, I'm pretty patient about stuff like that. If it constantly crashes and destroys saves like The Case of the Golden Idol, then yeah I won't bother. But I have no other chance to play it and I've heard it's amazing and compared favorably to say Majora's Mask so I have to get it.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

HackensackBackpack posted:

Deku Deals lists a sale that expires in a day or so that includes both base Rise and the Sunbreak expansion for 30 bucks, but not just base Rise, for some reason.

I found Rise/Sunbreak to be more fun for just quick monster hunting with your dog and/or cat companions. World is much more immersive, lots of cutscenes that go into great detail about the world, etc., but it takes much longer to fight monsters, and the maps are friggin' huge. Rise has a nice tutorial map with audio instructions, plus the Training area (which connects to the Buddy Plaza, easily missed), has a mechanical monster (with kitty pilot :3: ), a shooting gallery, as well as high spots to practice your wirebug (a bug-based grappling hook).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's unplayable and unplayable. If it's janky and slowing down whatever, I'm pretty patient about stuff like that. If it constantly crashes and destroys saves like The Case of the Golden Idol, then yeah I won't bother. But I have no other chance to play it and I've heard it's amazing and compared favorably to say Majora's Mask so I have to get it.

Having absolutely loved Outer Wilds on PC, "janky and slowing down" would likely make completing some of the puzzles miserable or outright impossible. Some require very tight timing.

E: MH World vs Rise - I feel like overall World is the better game - Rise felt like a step back/down in a lot of ways, probably to make it work on the Switch hardware. That being said, Rise is much better about onboarding players new to MH in general.

But there's nothing in Rise that compares to Xeno'jiva, let alone loving Behemoth in terms of sheer spectacle.

Annath fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 7, 2023

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

One guy on Reddit is saying it is like playing on the lowest possible setting, with a bad frame frame and occasional glitches, but nothing game breaking.

Which is honestly how I played all pc games for about 6 years so you're probably fine.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Lol jeez.

I had a girlfriend who I really wanted to break up with but never found a good opportunity. One night she wanted to study at my place, and I warned her it would not be quiet.
There she was trying to study for a midterm or some poo poo, listening to the constant "hhrrruaaah" "gruuuuhhh" "heeeyaaah" grunting of the Crackdown man leaping from building to building with the occasional jingle of hidden orbs.
She got mad after about twenty minutes and started a fight that culminated in her asking "do you even want to be together anymore?"

I stuck with Crackdown and met my wife a month later. Thanks video game sounds.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

One guy on Reddit is saying it is like playing on the lowest possible setting, with a bad frame frame and occasional glitches, but nothing game breaking.

Which is honestly how I played all pc games for about 6 years so you're probably fine.

Nice, that's fine by me. Now the question is when/where do I find the time? But I'll find it and make it happen. Sooner or later... After Pikmin 4 for sure.

Friend posted:

Lol jeez.

I had a girlfriend who I really wanted to break up with but never found a good opportunity. One night she wanted to study at my place, and I warned her it would not be quiet.
There she was trying to study for a midterm or some poo poo, listening to the constant "hhrrruaaah" "gruuuuhhh" "heeeyaaah" grunting of the Crackdown man leaping from building to building with the occasional jingle of hidden orbs.
She got mad after about twenty minutes and started a fight that culminated in her asking "do you even want to be together anymore?"

I stuck with Crackdown and met my wife a month later. Thanks video game sounds.

Nice. On the other hand having my wife mimic the Korok sounds every time I found a seed was always worth a smile. She'd even start doing it at the audio cue even if it wasn't a Korok, which would disappoint her.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Nice, that's fine by me. Now the question is when/where do I find the time? But I'll find it and make it happen. Sooner or later... After Pikmin 4 for sure.

Nice. On the other hand having my wife mimic the Korok sounds every time I found a seed was always worth a smile. She'd even start doing it at the audio cue even if it wasn't a Korok, which would disappoint her.

marry her again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The opposite of this is having a husband who is unconscionably cruel to the koroks, building machines to drive them into walls and launch them off of cliffs.

I just wanna say ya-ha-ha, I don’t wanna see them die :(

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

lol

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
my wife will smile innocently and go “that’s okay, you can play your games! :)” and then I feel guilty and we watch Shark Tank instead.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Automata 10 Pack posted:

my wife will smile innocently and go “that’s okay, you can play your games! :)” and then I feel guilty and we watch Shark Tank instead.

OP just ain't got that dawg in him

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

What I dont get is shes ok with you spending the money on 300 physical Switch games but playing them with sound? God forbid.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just be like the rest of us adults. Buy the games and never have time to play them, then have the nagging feeling of "well you should be playing that game you bought" in your head forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
my wife just mocks me by saying TEAM WIPE TEAM WIPE when i get off call of duty