Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah we had to pay something like 1200 for the autism assessment but once we had that everything was free and relatively straightforward.

I do believe if SMG was 9 or 10 the assessment would be covered too? Not quite sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

I like that he is getting so many dates and rather than treating the women in a manner that would make them like him he just decides to be a oval office.

yeah bragging about getting that many dates only to turn the women down makes him sound like a volcel

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Buck Turgidson posted:

Imprisonment without need for a conviction is ridiculous AND sounds like they're setting up for another high court challenge. Isn't this problem a job for police surveillance and/or conditional visas rather than attempting to get courts to rubber stamp criminal punishments without a trial?

the high court was like its fine for the purpose of deporting them wink wink nudge nudge, we have scheduled deportation for 2053

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Compos Mentis posted:

yeah bragging about getting that many dates only to turn the women down makes him sound like a volcel

He was catfishing them with fake photos of male models so he wouldn't have been able to follow through on the dates even if he'd changed his mind. Apparently it's called "chadfishing"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

They did say he was catfishing so most likely the pic(s) in the dating apps aren't him

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
real volcel behaviour

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Laserface posted:

I like that he is getting so many dates and rather than treating the women in a manner that would make them like him he just decides to be a oval office.

And then blame the women themselves for not liking him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

And then blame the women themselves for not liking him.

Oh 100%, the entire catfishing act is undoubtedly so he can go "They reject me in person but they want to date me when they think I'm handsome therefore the reason I'm all alone is because of women's unrealistic standards, I'm the real victim here"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Let's be honest, all those women are incredibly lucky he's a coward and never decided to turn up regardless of the catfishing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Reading about incels makes me feel like Patrick Bateman meeting the homeless man.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

iajanus posted:

I'm amazed by the horror stories people tell about getting the NDIS because we had already managed to finally find an OT and speechy for our kid (and were just hoping to get some help with the cost), applied, filled in a form, did two pretty easy phone interviews and then got a frankly ridiculous amount of money over a two year period that is way more than we could ever spend and at no point were even asked how much we needed.

Like I'm sure there are plenty of absolute trash parts of the system around the country but jeez it's just whiplash with how easy it was here in Brisbane.

Putting aside the perennial disparity of services between metro, suburban and regional/rural areas, the system as a whole is so appallingly disjointed that Bill Shorten has had to personally intervene to fix people's cases on numerous occasions. Put that together with the general lack of accountability that has lead to open rorts and exploitation of the disabled and only the truly ignorant continue to question why I don't apply to the NDIS for things I need.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah we had to pay something like 1200 for the autism assessment but once we had that everything was free and relatively straightforward.

I do believe if SMG was 9 or 10 the assessment would be covered too? Not quite sure.

Something like a four-figure price tag just for an initial assessment is a barrier if you're on your own, on DSP and you've already got the cost of living bearing down on you. If you get some ableist CHUD who goes "oh I don't quite think you're disabled enough for that nyuk nyuk" then you're out a thousand bucks with nothing to show for it. Meanwhile I've got osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease slowly eating my spine and other joints and making it hard to walk, so it was a lot more expedient to scrape together the two grand and buy the mobility scooter I needed NOW and not in five years.

Being disabled is expensive as poo poo. The NDIS is supposed to make it less so. It doesn't.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Let's be honest, all those women are incredibly lucky he's a coward and never decided to turn up regardless of the catfishing

Incels need to kept far away from women of any kind. At least I'm safe, since they predictably despise trans people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Alan Jones is being accused of indecently assaulting young men:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/he-d-go-the-grope-alan-jones-accused-of-indecently-assaulting-young-men-20231205-p5epai.html

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

birdstrike posted:

For the curious that isn’t how it works for non-citizens (who would ordinarily be subject to deportation)

I don't think most people are aware that we kick non-citizens out of the country once they're released from prison. (Which I think is fine in most cases - students, backpackers, short-term visa holders - but deeply hosed in the case of e.g. people who came here when they were kids and are now in their 50s but never became a citizen.)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

freebooter posted:

I don't think most people are aware that we kick non-citizens out of the country once they're released from prison. (Which I think is fine in most cases - students, backpackers, short-term visa holders - but deeply hosed in the case of e.g. people who came here when they were kids and are now in their 50s but never became a citizen.)

We also tried to deport indigenous people!

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

This stuff has been rumoured for years, but always gets tied into some gross homophobic poo poo and buried. Very brave of these men to come forward and hopefully this (finally) marks the end of Jones’ relevance. Fingers crossed some actual justice comes out of it as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Incels need to kept far away from women of any kind. At least I'm safe, since they predictably despise trans people.

I would absolutely not say that protects us, if I'm honest

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I would absolutely not say that protects us, if I'm honest

Unless you're living stealth and you're unlucky enough to get chadfished (or otherwise encounter an incel in the wild), you should be OK, since they spend most of their energy hating beautiful cis women they can't have and the men they compete with. If you don't pass well enough for incel standards, and aren't flawlessly beautiful, you're more or less invisible to those narcissistic fucks.

If reports start coming in of incel attacks on trans people, then we can start worrying.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 7, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Unless you're living stealth and you're unlucky enough to get chadfished (or otherwise encounter an incel in the wild), you should be OK, since they spend most of their energy hating beautiful women they can't have and the men they compete with. If you don't pass well enough for incel standards, and aren't flawlessly beautiful, you're more or less invisible to those narcissistic fucks.

If reports start coming in of incel attacks on trans people, then we can start worrying.

Oh sorry, thought you meant more generally, not this specific context.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Today's 329-page report made 26 recommendations to be implemented over the next five years

Australians would no longer have automatic access to the NDIS based on specified medical diagnoses, but would have to prove they had "significant functional impairment".

The review called for the removal of "access lists" which provide automatic entry to the scheme, including for conditions like autism diagnosed at level 2 under the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Instead, it called for entry to be based on "significant functional impairment and need", which is the impact the disability has on a person's life.

It said access lists have led to inequity, where some participants were automatically eligible, while others were not.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And we can't improve the equity of access lists by making more people automatically eligible because?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And we can't improve the equity of access lists by making more people automatically eligible because?

Making more people automatically eligible improves the accessibility of the scheme, not the equity of it. Cool, more people are automatically eligible, that's great news for those still not automatically eligible.

Note I think automatic access lists are cool and good, but I would be using them to avoid wasting time working out if someone is eligible for support, and get straight to what support is appropriate.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

~*~neoliberalism~*~

Gotta means test that disability support.

Fake Edit:
Someone please help me budget my economy is dying.
Buy less fighter jets.
No.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

~*~neoliberalism~*~

Gotta means test that disability support.

Fake Edit:
Someone please help me budget my economy is dying.
Buy less fighter jets.
No.

Once again sacrificing the poor and disabled on the altar of Saint Margaret Thatcher.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Have you lot read anything yourselves or are you just reacting to each others takes?

Earlier on Thursday, People with Disability Australia president Nicole Lee described the report as a "positive step" forward, but said advocates still needed to "work through the nuance of the details".

She welcomed discussion around increased foundational supports for all people living with disability, and said focusing on level of impairment was crucial.

"We're not necessarily the product of a diagnosis, it's more around how that disability interacts with your day-to-day … functioning," Ms Lee said.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Once again sacrificing the poor and disabled on the altar of Saint Margaret Thatcher.

Holy poo poo read the report it’s fine.

The real issue will be how they’ll accomplish some of the recommendations but jeez no need to Progressive No the report.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ShoeFly posted:

This stuff has been rumoured for years, but always gets tied into some gross homophobic poo poo and buried.

Yeah there was that infamous incident in '98 where Kerry-Anne's Midday Show hosted a live debate between Alan Jones and Chopper Read (who phoned in) and they had to abruptly cut the call off when Chopper started talking about Jones getting arrested in a public toilet in London

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1732274923790315661

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
4 out of 150

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah there was that infamous incident in '98 where Kerry-Anne's Midday Show hosted a live debate between Alan Jones and Chopper Read (who phoned in) and they had to abruptly cut the call off when Chopper started talking about Jones getting arrested in a public toilet in London

This is how Libby Gore got cancelled.

Not the toilet thing but chopper related.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eediot Jedi posted:

Have you lot read anything yourselves or are you just reacting to each others takes?

Earlier on Thursday, People with Disability Australia president Nicole Lee described the report as a "positive step" forward, but said advocates still needed to "work through the nuance of the details".

She welcomed discussion around increased foundational supports for all people living with disability, and said focusing on level of impairment was crucial.

"We're not necessarily the product of a diagnosis, it's more around how that disability interacts with your day-to-day … functioning," Ms Lee said.

Which is how DSP is nominally assessed, but in practice I've heard tales of people who have run into some turd on a power trip who just says no because they can, or repeatedly 'lost the paperwork' (ie. didn't want to process the claim so they buried it somewhere). Discrimination is alive and well and you'll find it even among the people who are supposed to be giving out our benefits.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

its 5 now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JBP posted:

This is how Libby Gore got cancelled.

Not the toilet thing but chopper related.

That was such bullshit. :(

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Which is how DSP is nominally assessed, but in practice I've heard tales of people who have run into some turd on a power trip who just says no because they can, or repeatedly 'lost the paperwork' (ie. didn't want to process the claim so they buried it somewhere). Discrimination is alive and well and you'll find it even among the people who are supposed to be giving out our benefits.

No kidding. I'm well aware that's a possibility, but that was a possibility before the review measures are implemented, and will still be a possibility after the review. It's why there are processes to appeal those decisions, to complain and be reviewed by a different worker, or to complain to the commonwealth ombudsman. It does increase the chances of lovely outcomes because more decisions are being made, instead of "my guidelines say yes so rubber stamp this", but that isn't a slam dunk reason to expand automatic access criteria either. The review isn't proposing a robodebt level of bureaucratic evil (that I can see), so I'm not getting the sky is falling responses going on here.

also

Eediot Jedi posted:

my money's on "we need to better target support to those who need it most, which by happy coincidence is a lot fewer people than currently get it"

I was chicken littling before it was cool. :smug:

"The fifth detainee was arrested in Queensland on Thursday on an outstanding warrant seeking to return him to prison in NSW for breaching parole conditions over an earlier conviction for assault." Not finding an outstanding warrant before releasing them. Good job. Well done.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheUnOz/status/1732553681344864710

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I ‘ve been watching more of this defo case, doesn’t help that works been slow and I can have the stream on in the background all day.

There’s a huge amount of money flying around:
ABC settled their case with Bruce for $150,000
Newscorp settled their case with Bruce for $295,000
Channel 7 is paying Bruce’s rent for a year, over $100,000
Higgins was compensated $2,300,000 covering lost earnings, damages, expenses, lawyers, etc.

IANAL so my thoughts are just those of a dumbdumb: The evidence seems to have shown Bruce’s version of events is false, and poo poo like his lawyers cross examination saying “you don’t look drunk on this security video” is undermined by the security guard from Parliament House saying “she was drunk.”

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, there's no doubt he did it. There's like 4 other accusations about him out there, with at least 2 before the court in Queensland.
The only thing the cross examination of Higgins was able to establish was she didn't know if her dress was around her waist or off completely. Not exactly compelling evidence from the complainant there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Extremely funny seeing how much right wing journalists (approx 98% of journalists with a job in Australia) care about some dipshit getting told their stupid question was stupid vs say the intentional murder of close to a hundred journalists by a genocidal occupying force.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

DRINK ME posted:

I ‘ve been watching more of this defo case, doesn’t help that works been slow and I can have the stream on in the background all day.

There’s a huge amount of money flying around:
ABC settled their case with Bruce for $150,000
Newscorp settled their case with Bruce for $295,000
Channel 7 is paying Bruce’s rent for a year, over $100,000
Higgins was compensated $2,300,000 covering lost earnings, damages, expenses, lawyers, etc.

IANAL so my thoughts are just those of a dumbdumb: The evidence seems to have shown Bruce’s version of events is false, and poo poo like his lawyers cross examination saying “you don’t look drunk on this security video” is undermined by the security guard from Parliament House saying “she was drunk.”

The ABC settlement was 150k towards his legal costs which i take to mean if they are less than 150k he doesnt get any cash

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of money flying around.

Guardian Au posted:

A government-funded mental health platform, primarily owned by PwC and the University of Sydney, “does not seem to have demonstrated clinical outcomes of healthcare value,” a study has found.

Despite receiving $33m from the government via a non-competitive grant, transparency and mental health advocates expressed concern about the closed grant process and argued an open and competitive tender for the $33m investment would have ensured value for money.

Guardian Australia previously revealed that the former government led by Malcolm Turnbull in 2017 awarded the grant to the for-profit company, Innowell, to develop a mental health app. Known as “Project Synergy”, it was scrapped after health workers at pilot sites found it to be an administrative burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

Paging Electric Wrigglies:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/04/net-zero-policy-new-gas-projects-abandoned-industry-objections

This is what I am talking about, it's not a secret conspiracy, oil and gas companies use the power and influence that their large amounts of capital grant them to forestall effective climate action.

Long ago in the thread but catching up.

First, that is the Guardian so expect hilariously disingenuous interpretations in the name of moving the Overton window. The NT Fracking Report does not recommend net zero emissions by the project. That is disingenuous word smithing. The report recommended (among others) that government bring in regs to achieve US EPA New Source Performance Standards of 2012 and 2016 to mitigate (not eliminate) upstream emissions and that the federal and NT governments should ensure that new NT gas would not bring net increase in Australian lifecycle GHG (which includes that from generating electricity, so as long as the gas was replacing coal, it would be a walk in the park achievement). There is a comment in the article about a NT government position conceptually requiring net zero GHG for gas production (as separate from the requirement listed above which includes scope 2 and scope 3 emissions of end users) but that was not a report recommendation and indeed as a policy option was dropped prior to putting before cabinet.

The trickiness of the recommendation though is that it is Australian only net zero, not world-wide net zero. I assume this gas is mostly for overseas markets and they are hoping to do it without some inefficient system setup whereby (for example) NT gas is sent to WA to replace Muja coal power generation and the "freed-up" WA gas is sent overseas instead. The article states that claiming overseas credits is off the table so even if the entirety of gas went to reducing the number of coal plants being built in Indonesia for nickel processing (which is being localised away from lower carbon power generation to site-based coal generation), it would not count. As a backdrop to that thought experiment, the NT economy is desperately short of low labor requirement goods to trade (its current big earners outside O&G are US and AUS defense bases, a few mines and the live animal trade) and I can see the NT government being desperate to not lose the revenue that LNG exports represent (they are not alone, Norway is similarly not walking away from hydrocarbon exports anytime soon despite being rich in way the NT could only dream of).

I don't think it is any great conspiracy that the organisations at the center of the project be asked about whether they are likely to continue investing under very different local regulatory environment or that they would provide the answers they did. All seems pretty matter of fact from what I can read. I don't think you lean into the conspiracy angle as much as the Guardian article anyway.

The Guardian agitating about a grand conspiracy (yes there is wankers like the Koch brothers but one is dead and the other irrelevant nowadays) theory flies in the face of that the vast majority of scientists come out in support of action mitigating climate change and that furthermore, this same percentage would likely be reflected in the people in regulatory positions and even an increasing section of investors. There is a huge amount of work that is going into climate change mitigation and it is mostly being held back by a desire to get as close to BOOT as possible for the general populace (yes there are exceptions). I find it frustrating that whenever the detail of what is required starts to be climbed into, someone claps their hands with *without *climate *change *action *there is *no *jobs like Greta Thunberg was some sort of savant discovering a hidden truth. You pointed out already that is not you so sorry for tilting at windmills.

And I didn't answer your question earlier, I am not finance (although I don't think I am any better than finance people as it seems you do), I'm in a technical role and thanks to glocking onto the fact that reducing emissions would be a good place to head, a large part of my job for 20+ years has been towards reducing GHG emissions. It is why you see me in the Generation thread talking about being part of 35 MW solar 12 MWhr battery project currently under construction in one country but struggling with regulation to develop more solar in a different country.