Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Happy Landfill posted:

Somerton's co-writer has left the channel and is urging James to refund the Indie GoGo campaign

https://www.ntherrgott.com/responseto

Wonder if he'll also address the fact that he just makes poo poo up and presents it as fact

quote:

I have scrutinized my own contributions to the channel over the past few days. Although I can say with confidence that my independent contributions were authentically my own

my own what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Interweb posted:

eh....this is how it used to be but no longer. ever since elon took over he's made it impossible to avoid garbage rightwing accounts showing up on your feed.
The For You tab loving sucks but if they are showing up in your Following section then that's on you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr Interweb posted:

eh....this is how it used to be but no longer. ever since elon took over he's made it impossible to avoid garbage rightwing accounts showing up on your feed. whatever problems twitter had before, i never had this one before elon got his chubby little mitts on them

Buddy that was an at that moment list of my current twitter tab from the minute that post was made.

Skill Issue. See a bad post you don't like? Block em.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone not complaining about the algorithm ruling over every screen-focused aspect of their life must be running 6 different extensions and 3 kinds of blocklists.

No, you literally just turn off watch history in your youtube settings and they don't try to algorithmically serve stuff up for you anymore. In fact as of recently they literally don't bother showing you random videos from people you've never heard of at all. It rules.

I do have an extension that gets rid of the shorts tab (along with making shorts play in the normal UI rather than the godawful shorts UI) but you can also just not click that.

EDIT: I'm sure a lot of other sites make it much more difficult or impossible to avoid being constantly blasted by algorithm-fueled sludge about how feminism is ruining gaming or whatever. My solution is to not use those websites. It's extremely easy and effective.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 7, 2023

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone not complaining about the algorithm ruling over every screen-focused aspect of their life must be running 6 different extensions and 3 kinds of blocklists.

yeah?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

why would i be giving google literally any info about myself

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On Youtube at least, it's easy to just block weird content. Just click the "Don't wanna see this channel" button and it's gone.

You block someone on Twitter though, and there's still a hundred other versions of the same content boosted to the top of your feed saying the exact same crazy poo poo.

Also I don't think the block function even loving works? If someone else reblogs the blocked poster, they'll still get recced to you. And I know the "block this ad" and "show fewer posts from" options definitely don't work at all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Even pre-Elon era Twitter downgraded the block function to match Discord, so instead of making the blocked account invisible it just puts a sensitive content filter over their tweets. They had a perfect interaction avoidance system and got rid of it for no reason! It sucks!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

BrianWilly posted:

On Youtube at least, it's easy to just block weird content. Just click the "Don't wanna see this channel" button and it's gone.

You block someone on Twitter though, and there's still a hundred other versions of the same content boosted to the top of your feed saying the exact same crazy poo poo.

Also I don't think the block function even loving works? If someone else reblogs the blocked poster, they'll still get recced to you. And I know the "block this ad" and "show fewer posts from" options definitely don't work at all.

The difference is simply a function of ease of creation - a chud only needs a minute to copy-paste the same bullshit talking points on twitter, meaning blocking one lets the other million go through. On youtube uploading a video takes some marginal effort.

Give it a little while longer and those chuds will be able to algorithmically auto-generate their own videos based on a minute of text spewing and I'm afraid YouTube will go the same way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All I do is tell youtube to not recommend me channels I don't want to see and that works fine

fun hater
May 24, 2009

stillvisions posted:

The difference is simply a function of ease of creation - a chud only needs a minute to copy-paste the same bullshit talking points on twitter, meaning blocking one lets the other million go through. On youtube uploading a video takes some marginal effort.

Give it a little while longer and those chuds will be able to algorithmically auto-generate their own videos based on a minute of text spewing and I'm afraid YouTube will go the same way.

you guys have a really weird idea of what drives people to do things

fun hater
May 24, 2009

what would be the incentive for youtube to host mass uploaded ai generated unmarketable hateful content repulsive to advertisers. why would that happen. we know why its happening on twitter: musk has written himself into a uniquely stupid position lol. and its biting him in the rear end hard. do you think google will be sole owned by a single megalomaniac and a skeleton crew. how

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

megacorporations that depend on ad revenue looking at twitter and thinking "we should be more like this"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

MMD3 posted:

Is there a thread I'm missing somewhere for "chill-tube" recommendations?

Feel like a lot of what is posted and in the OP is cultural critics/reviewers, etc. We like to end the night watching real chill long-form type youtube videos that are just really calm and relaxing and I was looking to see if there was a consolidated list of recommendations that would fit that bill.

late but here's a few i watch

the most obvious ones are pretty landscapes or whatever
this guy's got some nice shots from around the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zyMNkAc1s

i'm not gonna include ASMR stuff for the most part but these are nice to fall asleep to and aren't weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAv5GgYIezg

there's also documentaries and such
this guy's yappin' about architecture. the reconstructions are nice to look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsQZaxHYsgM

this guy's yappin' about traditional crafts of rural spain. all videos are in spanish but they're subtitled. not sure if he technically counts as a 'youtuber' in the same way as the rest since he's been recording these for 40 years and only started uploading his library recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9tDGh6W-Gs

on that vein, there's also people doing stuff
hanabira might the most chill of all the craftubers but their attention to detail legit makes me lose my loving mind. no voiceover, japanese text only with no subtitles so just stare at it in silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2FVB0nj_Q

studson also does miniatures, the secret ingredient is nonstop dad jokes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iojNr30s0TY

this guy makes linocut prints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciBcJRm9Rk

this guy makes woodblock prints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij9KXgiyDAc

and so on and so on. idk there's plenty

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

this guy's yappin' about traditional crafts of rural spain. all videos are in spanish but they're subtitled. not sure if he technically counts as a 'youtuber' in the same way as the rest since he's been recording these for 40 years and only started uploading his library recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9tDGh6W-Gs

yep thats the stuff right there

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
youtube.... recommend me chud content

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 7, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

More like youchud

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Here comes the Jordan Peterson Hit Parade!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
For more chilltube, this guy posts videos just walking around Japan, if you ever wanted to turn your brain off and pretend your walking around Japan for real :japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8VyuPyksk

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

It's far more efficient to look at reviews of some extensions to select the one xou like the most, and to occasionally look if the devs made a separate new version instead of updating their old blocker.

Saved me a ton of headaches over the years :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

been waiting for this album's whole movie to drop, especially after i saw how good the choreography was in I've Been in Love and Back at 74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5tSF6k-m8

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

eh....this is how it used to be but no longer. ever since elon took over he's made it impossible to avoid garbage rightwing accounts showing up on your feed. whatever problems twitter had before, i never had this one before elon got his chubby little mitts on them

I don't get right wing accounts showing up even on my for you feed. It's mostly just a bunch of art lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Chill tube style is putting on some ambient tunes, finding a big old playlist of cabview train journeys, and cuddling up with a cat on yer lap.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

There's too much content on Youtube to not have a computer sorting through it to try and find interesting things.

i like the old school word-of-mouth method where i simply have other people tell me about the videos they liked recently. this very thread can be surprisingly good for this between slap fights over whether snyder is marxist or whatever

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

There's too much content on Youtube to not have a computer sorting through it to try and find interesting things.

While this is true, the computers are unfortunately not designed to show you interesting things at the moment. They're designed to maximize ad revenue, and sometimes they show you interesting things as a byproduct.

a cartoon duck posted:

i like the old school word-of-mouth method where i simply have other people tell me about the videos they liked recently. this very thread can be surprisingly good for this between slap fights over whether snyder is marxist or whatever

There's just too much stuff for this to really work beyond a certain point, though. You'll see a lot of stuff suited to your specific interests, but word of mouth is often insular, and wider discovery is often difficult. Like, Bobby Fingers is one of my favorite finds of the past year or so, and I never saw anyone mention him before the algorithm randomly tossed his Steven Seagal diorama video at me.

There's just so much of everything now that curation and discovery have been the biggest issues for going on twenty years. It really sucks that the systems designed to solve those problems are becoming increasingly hostile to users.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skippy McPants posted:

While this is true, the computers are unfortunately not designed to show you interesting things at the moment. They're designed to maximize ad revenue, and sometimes they show you interesting things as a byproduct.
in principle maximising ad revenue is done by showing me things i'll watch instead of leaving the site, so by definition the computer is seeking to show me interesting things based on its understanding of what those are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Halibut Barn posted:

There's already been a case where a professor accused a bunch of students after he plugged their papers into ChatGPT and asked "was this plagiarized?" and it incorrectly told him "oh yeah, that's totally plagiarism."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/chatgpt-dupes-professor-trying-to-catch-ai-plagiarism/

Someone might be able to come up with a better LLM aimed specifically at plagiarism detection, rather than a general-purpose one like the GPTs, but that's niche enough that I'm sure it'd be a closed, paid service.

ChatGPT has been giving completely wrong answers more and more frequently, to the point where people have started writing articles and papers analyzing the issues driving this.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's been noticed that generative AI is gradually getting worse over time and the quality of results is degenerating, most likely because the databases they're pulling data from are slowly accumulating higher percentages of AI created content so there's a feedback loop of all the old lovely AI outputs contributing to the creation of even shittier AI outputs down the line. This doesn't just effect art but also AI's ability to 'solve' math problems, write workable code, etc etc which are also degrading over time.
Here's a paper about it if anyone wants to dive into it a little deeper: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gena...ofile_like_view

There's also growing collectives who are creating "AI data poisoning tools" which deliberately screw up AI databases so that they spit out 'wrong' results. Data poisoning has always been a known issue in AI circles and there's a bunch of ways they avoid it happening so there's a tech war between the AI corporations and the artists trying to poison the machines.
Here's an article: https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/10/23/1082189/data-poisoning-artists-fight-generative-ai/

fun hater posted:

what would be the incentive for youtube to host mass uploaded ai generated unmarketable hateful content repulsive to advertisers. why would that happen. we know why its happening on twitter: musk has written himself into a uniquely stupid position lol. and its biting him in the rear end hard. do you think google will be sole owned by a single megalomaniac and a skeleton crew. how

If someone ever figures out the chud equivalent of the Baby Shark Song then we're really gonna see some poo poo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wendigoon8/status/1732418869896110527

what's this about?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont know what was said, but it probably started because Wendigoon voiced the eponymous Man in Cave in the Historian video.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://magz.tumblr.com/post/702915369393881088/edit-stop-send-ask-and-tag-say-he-native-magz

Apparently he was one of the originators of the Boogaloo Boys and brags that a lot of their defining features came from him (the Hawaiian shirts, etc) but he also claims he left pretty early when it started getting heavy. Apparently he's also a Kyle Rittenhouse fan and a 4channer

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Carefully curating my algorithm to show me right wing creators but specifically the washed up cranks that struggle to reach 3-digit views

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pigbuster posted:

Carefully curating my algorithm to show me right wing creators but specifically the washed up cranks that struggle to reach 3-digit views

I wonder if you even COULD train the algorithm that the only things you watch are videos that literally no one else has finished.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://magz.tumblr.com/post/702915369393881088/edit-stop-send-ask-and-tag-say-he-native-magz

Apparently he was one of the originators of the Boogaloo Boys and brags that a lot of their defining features came from him (the Hawaiian shirts, etc) but he also claims he left pretty early when it started getting heavy. Apparently he's also a Kyle Rittenhouse fan and a 4channer

ooof, yeah that's quite a rap sheet...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Oh this’ll be fun discourse. He certainly does not understand the accusations he is trying to dodge so he’ll surely say more. He is the absolute dullest boy on youtube and trying to navigate politics, the kinda guy who is going to think saying ‘I’m not a huge Trump fan but the man has some good points’ is a good move to straddle the fence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

megacorporations that depend on ad revenue looking at twitter and thinking "we should be more like this"

Youtube is so big that nobody can even see everything that’s uploaded every day, and their automated tools can be gamed. And there is a big market for reactionary and right-wing commentary: middle-school kids who leave autoplay on until they’ve been fully radicalized.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Is the "decided to be horny on main for shoeonhead" flag red enough

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

in principle maximising ad revenue is done by showing me things i'll watch instead of leaving the site, so by definition the computer is seeking to show me interesting things based on its understanding of what those are.

Things that keep you on the site and things that are interesting are not always a 1:1 ratio. Yes, it'll often show you interesting things as a byproduct of its incentives, but it'll also stuff stuff like show you things that make you mad or enable any mental health issues you have.

The point is that the underlying incentive structure does not exist to benefit or enrich the end user.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I'm interested in seeing what comes out about the rest of the "faces" in Man in Cave. Ordinary Things videos seem largely okay, and ManyKudos is basically a "make a video about three controversies in topic that has high SEO when I release it" channel. But neither are as openly right-wing as Wendigoon.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

oh, Wendigoon, the guy who got transphobic about Chris-Chan (but it's ok because it's Chris-Chan)

Pachylad posted:

Surprised y'all went this far talking about Wendigoon without mentioning this:

https://twitter.com/wendigoon8/status/1421880295414972417?lang=en

He deleted it but if you want to you can search for a screenshot of that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0VnVuwqYQ

Mandalore looks at a mod for Thief.