Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

don't much care for this one bit, if i'm being honest.

this is right up there with the Square Enix CEO getting dragged across twitter and then retracting his dumb NFT gaming idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m about 40 hours into SMT:Strange Journey Redux, and have an important question…..what’s with Dent’s “finger mustache?”

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I’m about 40 hours into SMT:Strange Journey Redux, and have an important question…..what’s with Dent’s “finger mustache?”

He's rubbing the underside of his nose, which is a gesture that usually means he's a bit full of himself (or enjoying being praised).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Petiso posted:

He's rubbing the underside of his nose, which is a gesture that usually means he's a bit full of himself (or enjoying being praised).

Thank you for this. I really thought he had to sneeze the whole game, because I’m an idiot. Speaking of dude, is there a benefit to playing his “count to 30” game?

Fake edit: Eridanus sector goes on forever and ever and ever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ht-EfC-bs

Marsh dropped a new video about the old Last Bible Phone Game from Japan. The game goes some very unexpected places storywise tying the Last Bible games together with Megami Tensei. Very interesting and incredibly funny.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ht-EfC-bs

Marsh dropped a new video about the old Last Bible Phone Game from Japan. The game goes some very unexpected places storywise tying the Last Bible games together with Megami Tensei. Very interesting and incredibly funny.

i haven't looked into the original last bibles but this was interesting in its own right. more thematic depth than i was expecting out of what looked like a mobile only cash in, though gameplay doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
does the video get better than the opening couple minutes having avgn-isms

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not by much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He calms down a little once you get up into the story content. Think he's got that nervousness when he's starting a vid

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
he's not kidding about the lore implications, laffo. that's wild. I'm glad these games are being rescued.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was out on the youtube and found a video by Carlos informing me that there was a remake of SMTI for RPGmakerVX, and as of yesterday it has been translated to english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA6mFQvCSQ

https://twitter.com/TeatimeSpooks/status/1712518077202518190?s=20

It seems the main changes is having Yuriko recruitable as a Chaos Heroine, and an added Law Heroine that are both recruitable instead of the standard cast. There is also new endings to accommodate all this including a full on Apocalypse style kill all your friends and take over everything ending. The game is also apparently hard as balls.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

I was out on the youtube and found a video by Carlos informing me that there was a remake of SMTI for RPGmakerVX, and as of yesterday it has been translated to english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA6mFQvCSQ

https://twitter.com/TeatimeSpooks/status/1712518077202518190?s=20

It seems the main changes is having Yuriko recruitable as a Chaos Heroine, and an added Law Heroine that are both recruitable instead of the standard cast. There is also new endings to accommodate all this including a full on Apocalypse style kill all your friends and take over everything ending. The game is also apparently hard as balls.

Weird.
I think you should call a doctor if it's your balls getting hard

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Gaius Marius posted:

thx for this very cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've hosed around with it for a bit. Pretty neat so far, they changed around some of the dialogue in the Mall to better tutorialize some of the actions you need to take. They've added a consumable item that functions as a save anywhere, the one I acquired I immediately wasted by accident of course. And they've added at least a few new areas and events to otherwise vacant locations, in the park for instance in addition to the Dojo and Heretic Mansion I found a small event encounter with one of the Hanako ghosts in the restrooms. It seems they've added quite a few demons and references to the other SMT games on SNES, that one and some of the school girls I ran into were wearing the uniform from if....

Oh and they let you turn down the encounter rate, to half, or to even less than that of normal.

Hasn't seemed too hard yet, just at the Hospital though, but I grabbed Yuriko as a party member asap to get on that new route train and that really helps, she starts level 15 with great equipment and gives you a free gun. Already feeling shaky about my choice though, kinda want to know what they're doing with the Law Heroine in this game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1724211996164317258?s=20

quote:

Metaphor and Asa will release in 2024.
P5X will release next year, and there will be tests in other regions too.
There is an SMT title being worked on.
P6 will be released in 2025. The reveal time is still being decided.

This is all I have to share right now…

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
wonder if that SMT title is that enhanced version of 5 that was rumored a while ago

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hatty posted:

wonder if that SMT title is that enhanced version of 5 that was rumored a while ago

yeah not on your life bud

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
They wasted such a good uniform design on SMTV and I'm mad about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would love to replay V again with a stable frame rate. Probably ban myself from the critical limit break and really make things interesting.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the frame rate is already a nice stable 20FPS asking for more is greedy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just let me attack while jumping, that's all I ask

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

the frame rate is already a nice stable 20FPS asking for more is greedy

Yup

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It would have been fine if the story was good and not horribly unbalanced with only one alignment character having some kind of fleshed-out arc.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought the story was good wish the neutral boss wasn’t a wet fart though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shiva is the best Bonus fight they've had in awhile

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neeksy posted:

It would have been fine if the story was good and not horribly unbalanced with only one alignment character having some kind of fleshed-out arc.

When I got to the end of V and its "Big Choice" and was like "Wow, I don't care about any of these people and none of them have sold me on any of their beliefs," that' was the worst. I could have dealt with the gameplay if the story or characters intrigued me but, well, I don't think anyone is going to ever talk about what an unforgettable scene Yuzuru had. There was a lot of talk about it being "minimalist" like Nocturne but Nocturne had some pretty unforgettable scenes with Chiaki or Hikawa scattered about its hours of gameplay and dungeon crawling. Not so much with SMTV.

Yuzuru - who seems to be the nominal Chaos rep - bugs me most. Sure, only Dazai has an arc, but Yakumo certainly leaves an impression, I thought. Yuzuru is neither memorable nor interesting.

God it had some amazing music, though. Dunno if I'll ever replay it but I will gladly listen to this all on its own. It's a perfect "ending area" theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SQ19rm8qqY

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It really feels like they were gonna do some more interesting stuff with the many gods warring and finding their own partners so there could be some new human figures to come up against, but then goes "oh yeah they died off-screen so nevermind". I thought maybe there would be some kind of interesting plot thing about how the school had multiple people all collected there -because- of this, etc. but that also never really comes up.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Though if Atlus does release an expanded version of the new game it probably won't address any of the weaknesses of the main story, but wait till you find out about this new Mystery Girl and her dark secret...

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Item Getter posted:

Though if Atlus does release an expanded version of the new game it probably won't address any of the weaknesses of the main story, but wait till you find out about this new Mystery Girl and her dark secret...

Raidou Kuzunoha is a boy, tyvm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maken, first or third person?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Maken, first or third person?

youre Maken me want to look up the kickass artwork for this game 👀

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://x.com/geoffkeighley/status/1732540442959622601?s=20

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
looks like hd upscaled p3, with like elf aegis and he's even doing the gun to the head.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
is that what re:fantasy or whatever turned into

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It looks cool I think. Hope it's good. :cheerdoge:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno where to post this. Here? Persona thread?

Either way
https://noisypixel.net/metaphor-refantazio-different-experience-from-persona-5-says-atlus/

quote:

Metaphor: ReFantazio takes place in the United Kingdom of Euchronia, a land plunged into turmoil following the assassination of its king. The story takes a dramatic turn when the Royal Magic, a mystical power previously known only to the king, is unexpectedly invoked, sparking a grand royal tournament to determine the next ruler.

Amidst this tumultuous backdrop, the protagonist, alongside their partner, the fairy Galica, embarks on a quest to lift a curse cast upon the prince, believed by the kingdom to be deceased. Their journey spans the expansive lands of Euchronia, revealing that their mission is intricately tied to the ongoing tournament for the throne. To succeed, they must forge alliances with a diverse array of friends and followers from the various tribes that inhabit this world, each with their own unique contributions to the unfolding narrative.

Metaphor: ReFantazio was also known as Project Re Fantasy for several years. The game is being developed by the team behind Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona 5. This truly does look like a next-generation JRPG experience. It’s also taken notes from the Shin Megami Tensei series. The director is Katsura Hashino, and the composer is Shoji Meguro.

Director Katsura Hashino stated in a previous message that this game is a third pillar for Atlus. One key phrase for the game is “Facing your fear.” Character designer Shigenori Soejima said they wanted an androgynous and heroic protagonist. Composer Shoji Meguro confirmed the game uses a score inspired by hymns and Buddhist prayers in its soundtrack.

The combat of Metaphor: ReFantazio will feature shifting from action to turn-based like Nihon Falcom’s The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak, known as Kuro no Kiseki in Japan.
Metaphor: ReFantazio will launch for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Steam, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC in Fall 2024.

1. Yay for Steam release.
2. Yay for Buddhist-inspired music. I enjoy Buddhist mantras quite a bit.
3. What's this about action to turn-based combat?

"Third pillar" is intriguing as it makes it sound like they intend for this to be a franchise, not a one off game?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno where to post this. Here? Persona thread?

Either way
https://noisypixel.net/metaphor-refantazio-different-experience-from-persona-5-says-atlus/

1. Yay for Steam release.
2. Yay for Buddhist-inspired music. I enjoy Buddhist mantras quite a bit.
3. What's this about action to turn-based combat?

"Third pillar" is intriguing as it makes it sound like they intend for this to be a franchise, not a one off game?

From what I understand, it's apparently going to be like Kuro no Kiseki, where you can fight trash mobs with a fairly straightforward action-RPG system and then swap to turn-based at any time for harder fights.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I feel like, especially with polishing up P3 in a new fancier edition, and just the blatant artwork similarity in character designs, I'm gonna shoot my shot early. This new game is going to have a twist halfway in that it's all in the head of a statuefied P3 protag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

From what I understand, it's apparently going to be like Kuro no Kiseki, where you can fight trash mobs with a fairly straightforward action-RPG system and then swap to turn-based at any time for harder fights.

Yeah, though from the trailers and clips I've seen it seems like rather than swapping yourself you get enough hits in and a prompt to begin the TB battle with an advantage pops up.

also "third pillar" makes sense since as of now they have: Studio Zero working on Metaphor and whatever other projects they feel like, the P6 team likely largely made up of devs from the post-vanilla P5 games, and whoever they can pull away from smaller projects to cobble a numbered SMT together

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 11, 2023