Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I knew someone in university who ordered a meatball sub with mayonnaise. Gave the clerk poo poo for looking at him weird.

I don't think it was good but he was one of those dudes who wanted to be right and in charge more than having a sub that he actually enjoyed eating.

It looked so bad and I wish I had a picture of the maranara and industrial mayo trying and failing to mix with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

steinrokkan posted:

It's not to create more space for the filing. Scooping the bagel is the only way to eat a bagel without consuming the evil carbs. There's no other way. It's definitely not possible to simply not order bread in the first place if you refuse to eat carbs, no siree
I had to google to figure out wtf the point of a scooped bagel is and saw people sincerely saying this poo poo:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/scoop-your-bagels posted:

Let’s be clear: All bagels are great. (Except plain bagels—like...live a little for once.) But a chronic problem, as any regular bagel eater knows, is over cream-cheesing. There’s often an inch-thick layer of cream cheese between your slices of bagel, and it gets squeezed out on your first bite, covering your fingers and generally making a mess. A scooped bagel avoids that problem. “But what about the doughy to crunchy ratio?” You ask. What about it? There’s still plenty of soft, springy inside to munch through in a scooped bagel. No bagel shop has ever scooped a bagel into a completely two-dimensional object devoid of its doughy interior. In fact, I’d argue that the dough-to-crunch ratio is improved; you can experience the crackly crunch without the overwhelming gumminess of too much inside. Lastly, full-size, unscooped bagels make me straight up sleepy. Once I eat that amount of carbs in one sitting, I am done for the day.
Treating eating a single bagel like they just ate 5 pounds of bread or something, jfc. (also apparently unable to eat a bagel without making a mess)

Everything about it sounds like it's for people who don't actually like or want bagels at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could just... not put an inch of cream cheese on your bagel?? That sounds loving gross anyway just eat a brick of it like a loving dog why don't you. Stuff your nose in a tub of philadelphia until you choke, jesus christ.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Everything about it sounds like it's for people who don't actually like or want bagels at all.

My solution is to just never eat bagels. Works well enough for me.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

OwlFancier posted:

You could just... not put an inch of cream cheese on your bagel??

gently caress YOU!!!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

quote:

There’s often an inch-thick layer of cream cheese between your slices of bagel, and it gets squeezed out on your first bite, covering your fingers and generally making a mess.
Just don't make a sandwich! Then you can have two inch-thick layers of cream cheese!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'm starting to think the people mad about how others eat a bagel are much weirder than the scoopers

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Really want a bagel right now.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grand Fromage posted:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Grand Fromage posted:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Really want to pet a beagle right now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Grand Fromage posted:

Really want a brick of cream cheese right now, with a bagel surrounding it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why don't they make bagel holes?

Is a bagel hole just a pretzel nugget?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Moreover, what is the bagel equivalent of the cruller?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zedprime posted:

Why don't they make bagel holes?

Is a bagel hole just a pretzel nugget?

The bagel shop by me makes bite size mini bagels, and mini-kolaches with cocktail weenies wrapped in bagel dough.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
https://twitter.com/i/status/877533498424389633

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

maybeadracula posted:

I'm starting to think the people mad about how others eat a bagel are much weirder than the scoopers

I know but... it's hard to top buying food and then immediately throwing a bunch of it in the trash for no reason.

Especially when like, other breads exist and are also much easier to find. If you're removing half the texture anyway... Just why.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wasting a bunch of food because you're very picky is pretty normal but I'm still not going look upon it kindly.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The fancier you eat, the more food, energy, and money is "wasted" in the preparation

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can feed scooped out bits to pigeons. Want not, waste not.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I must make some low carb bagels, you all forced me into it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

maybeadracula posted:

The fancier you eat, the more food, energy, and money is "wasted" in the preparation

very, very picky

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
medieval (really, early modern) noblemens' cooks used to make their stocks from multiple roasts, where one would actually be served and one would be used to create stock and then thrown away, because the whole point of noble feasting is to ostentatiously waste food in order to show your wealth and power (also for humoral medicine reasons). after the french went choppy choppy those now ex-servants made restaurants where they started to give a poo poo about economics so they switched over to making stock from trimmings, as continues to this day

but scooping out the centers of your bagels seems pretty unostentatious as food-wasting moves go

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm sure some people take a single taste of their favourite food and then throw it away as a dietary measure.

I pity them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

I knew someone in university who ordered a meatball sub with mayonnaise. Gave the clerk poo poo for looking at him weird.

I don't think it was good

:confused:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
One bagel, scooped, replace the cream cheese with mayonnaise

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jyrraeth posted:

I don't think it was good but he was one of those dudes who wanted to be right and in charge more than having a sub that he actually enjoyed eating.

It looked so bad and I wish I had a picture of the maranara and industrial mayo trying and failing to mix with each other.

Why do you gotta brag about knowing somebody with good taste?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

medieval (really, early modern) noblemens' cooks used to make their stocks from multiple roasts, where one would actually be served and one would be used to create stock and then thrown away, because the whole point of noble feasting is to ostentatiously waste food in order to show your wealth and power (also for humoral medicine reasons). after the french went choppy choppy those now ex-servants made restaurants where they started to give a poo poo about economics so they switched over to making stock from trimmings, as continues to this day

but scooping out the centers of your bagels seems pretty unostentatious as food-wasting moves go

What I take away from this is that bagel-scoopers ought to lose their heads.

Harsh, but perhaps fair.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The old French proverb: Scoop not lest you get scooped.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
What IS a scooped bagel? Im trying to imagine it but cant. Isnt bagel all bread? What is there to be left out?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Alchemist posted:

What IS a scooped bagel? Im trying to imagine it but cant. Isnt bagel all bread? What is there to be left out?

Like pulling the seeds out of a zucchini cut in half lengthwise with a spoon, except for bread. What I can't wrap my head around is that someone throws that bit away. Why on earth wouldn't you eat that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't shake the feeling that it's some kind of strange diet fad thing where people have blurrily absorbed that "gluten" is a bad thing, but they missed the whole memo about how it's a specific disease that specific people have, not just "bread in general is bad for you"

Thinking about people who say they don't eat gluten but then have a roll at dinner because "oh I'm cheating, I'm so bad"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Someone counting calories gets to remove about 100 calories and still taste a bagel who cares

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Alchemist posted:

A war crime

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Scooped gaza

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I've never tried a scooped bagel but it makes me think of potato skins and also a little of these things. All edges, delicious.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/shagbark_hick/status/1727338584255119861

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

maybeadracula posted:

I've never tried a scooped bagel but it makes me think of potato skins and also a little of these things. All edges, delicious.

Well yeah, no, the bland original taste is gonna be bland. It's salt.

Now this kinda bad boy, I desperately miss

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Dec 7, 2023