Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My water pump system works now! Thanks for all your patient advice, longbeards

However, now a vile force of darkness showed up, "seeking parley". This never happened in the pre-steam edition, what is happening?

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They have generously decided to allow you the time to arm your militias and move them into position before they attack.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Tias posted:

My water pump system works now! Thanks for all your patient advice, longbeards

However, now a vile force of darkness showed up, "seeking parley". This never happened in the pre-steam edition, what is happening?

They will offer to leave without attacking if you give them one of your artifacts.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wait if you give it wouldn't that make the creator have an emotional breakdown because their precious is stolen, or did i just make that poo poo up?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SniperWoreConverse posted:

wait if you give it wouldn't that make the creator have an emotional breakdown because their precious is stolen, or did i just make that poo poo up?

He knew the risks

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I've always been too intimidated to break into the cavern layers on purpose. I've started a new game where it seems I have no choice but to do so if I want access to magma.

Any tips for that first breach into the caverns? Any good guide to quickly building a wall that spans multiple z-levels?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The 1st cavern layer is generally not any more dangerous than the topside, so its very much something you can bumble and fumble your way through. 2 and 3 are a bit more dangerous but get used to the 1st, first.

If I don't have good defenses set up yet, I usually start another staircase somewhere outside so its easier to isolate my fort from whatever is in the caverns, so I'm only fighting on one front. Though it does mean the path dwarves have to travel is longer.

Dwarven Radar is also handy for finding caverns, which is draw out a farm plot on the surface, but instead of clicking to finish it, you scroll down many z-levels until you see something. Kind of cheat-y, for some.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Xinlum posted:

I've always been too intimidated to break into the cavern layers on purpose. I've started a new game where it seems I have no choice but to do so if I want access to magma.

Any tips for that first breach into the caverns? Any good guide to quickly building a wall that spans multiple z-levels?
You can designate stairwells for construction across multiple z levels, and they don't have to be 1x1. I generally have an enormous number of stone blocks laying around, and often staged in stockpiles near where I will need them. I then order the creation of a stairwell to the ceiling all along my prospective wall, then order the construction of the wall, the same way, across z levels.

Any place that has access to a constructed stairwell will be supported, and thus not collapse. In this way an entire passage can be walled off with only a few designations.

Honestly, the main issue is that the caverns are often so very, very hilly and full of lots of columns.

If all else fails, remember that you can build walls right on the border of the map in the caverns, unlike on the surface where there is an exclusion zone.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Xinlum posted:

Building destroyers need to be on the same z-level as the thing they are targeting. This means that a closed, locked hatch cover cannot be attacked from below. Also, trap corridors work well against things that attack you from the caverns.

I typically open up the caverns before I make a farm plot, with just the basic precautions in case there is something nasty there. Then I wall out a space for farming use that has the good cavern soil.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Does anyone mint coins? I've seen people say it's a great lightweight trade resource and others say not to bother, just make regular crafts.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They are a light trade good, but you could also just make a couple barrels of finely minced mussel brain roast, and buy out the whole caravan. Optimising for trade is pretty pointless, so most people just turn all the junk rock they have lieing around into crafts because why not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I thought people minted coins primarily for shotgun use

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I usually breach the caverns pretty early on, in order to get some cave moss growing so that I can pasture my animals inside. I just mine a 1-tile wide tunnel somewhere outside of my fort and then drop a staircase down until I breach the caverns, then I wall up the tunnel just before the staircase. As far as I'm aware, a constructed wall is indestructible, so you don't need to worry about any unwelcome surprises once it's sealed.

Once my fort's gotten big enough that I want to make it down to the magma, there will be a good few useless peasants around, so I'll draft them into a squad and send them down to scout around (making sure to rebuild the wall behind them). Once I've gotten enough of the cavern revealed, I should then be able find a path to mine down through the rock without re-breaching the cavern, to the next one, where I repeat the process.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding is that coins have a set value with no quality modifier so they're probably good to train dwarves on when they aren't making masterworks

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I like to buy a couple birds and rig a cage with a lever at the exit to the caverns, then seal up the passageway behind them and set them free. Let them wander around revealing the map until something eats them.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Xinlum posted:

Does anyone mint coins? I've seen people say it's a great lightweight trade resource and others say not to bother, just make regular crafts.

I only make coins if I have a noble who likes them. The only trade resources you need are barrels of food and cut gems.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm curious why the clearly broken cooking system (in regards to trade value) hasn't been fixed. It basically renders a whole part of the game meaningless. Trading no longer matters because you just have a chef put together some ingredients and you end up with trade goods worth tens of thousands... I'll admit I do this in every game I play, but it would be nice to actually have trade become a meaningful activity, something you actively work towards accomplishing by having craftsdwarves painstakingly make goods.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Qubee posted:

I'm curious why the clearly broken cooking system (in regards to trade value) hasn't been fixed. It basically renders a whole part of the game meaningless. Trading no longer matters because you just have a chef put together some ingredients and you end up with trade goods worth tens of thousands... I'll admit I do this in every game I play, but it would be nice to actually have trade become a meaningful activity, something you actively work towards accomplishing by having craftsdwarves painstakingly make goods.

I agree, I also exploit the food system because it is so efficient to do so. Not only is the food great trade value but dwarves get happy thoughts from eating it. I think fortress mode needs a lot of love and I have been pretty disappointed by the lack of attention paid to the trade system in particular. I personally have no interest in adventurer mode and all the development time being put towards it

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was really hoping that with the huge success the Steam release brought the Adams brothers, that they would be more open to drastically expanding the team with a few more core members to really start churning out updates, polishes, fixes, etc. I remember they were against this to begin with due to the fact they didn't want someone stealing the code or something. Now that they have 'gently caress you' levels of money, I'm sure getting NDAs or whatever is no longer a bar to entry?

It's mildly frustrating that a game I've been playing for more than 15 years progresses at a snail's pace, even though it's an absolute gem. I would love to see them get a small office with some passionate, dedicated members to elevate further what is an already incredible game.

Adventurer mode has never interested me. I feel like Fortress mode is where the game really shines. There's so many roguelikes out there where you can get your adventurer fix, but there's not many games out there that give you your fortress fix.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Qubee posted:

I was really hoping that with the huge success the Steam release brought the Adams brothers, that they would be more open to drastically expanding the team with a few more core members to really start churning out updates, polishes, fixes, etc. I remember they were against this to begin with due to the fact they didn't want someone stealing the code or something. Now that they have 'gently caress you' levels of money, I'm sure getting NDAs or whatever is no longer a bar to entry?

I don't think they are operating under the assumption that they have 'gently caress you' levels of money, but rather under 'this dosh probably has to last the rest of our lives unless we want to go back on our promise to not make DLC' money. Financially, I think most people who want DF already have DF, so expanding the team, especially "drastically expanding" it is really just paying to improve the game. I'd welcome it, because there's a lot about the game that could do with some overhauls and a fresh, outside look at it, but I can understand that they want themselves and their dependents to be financially secure into the foreseeable future.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

IIRC they got something like $3.5 million each after launch (after Kitfox's cut), and have been averaging 20,000 sales a month since release. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I'd classify that as 'gently caress you' levels of money that will last them to the foreseeable future, medical expenses and all. If they're smart with their money, they can basically comfortably live off of investments. Drastic might have been too heavy a word, I just meant like a team of 4 people who work continuously on the game just to polish the gem that's already there. Basic poo poo like being able to Ctrl or Shift + Click menu items to add more than a single item at a time, or doing a passover on the trading system to fix wonky trade prices, etc. I'm not necessarily talking about mind-shattering additions to the game, just polishing to a mirror finish what's already present.

The weird thing about DF is they've got a bunch of die hard fans. I practically grew up with this game, it was a lifesaver when there was no internet or I back when I was broke and had an awful laptop that couldn't run anything else. Literal hours of my younger years spent making fond memories. If they wanted to release DLCs for each major patch, I'd be first in line to pay.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I think Tarn wants to make his game, not manage a team or small studio into making his game. It's a totally different skillset to manage a team into doing what you want instead of just taking time to do it yourself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yooper posted:

I think Tarn wants to make his game, not manage a team or small studio into making his game. It's a totally different skillset to manage a team into doing what you want instead of just taking time to do it yourself.

yeah, the life's work involved here is making the game - not running the company that makes the game

that's the thing about passion projects, you stick with the parts you're passionate about

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Qubee posted:

IIRC they got something like $3.5 million each after launch (after Kitfox's cut), and have been averaging 20,000 sales a month since release.

You do not, in fact, recall correctly. Last month's report was 11,000 sales, which Toady described as a "huge bump". Month before that was 6,000, with Toady mentioning 200 per day as an average background level.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They did pick up at least one new person, right?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I believe Putnam is still working for them. She's done at least few fixes and got the code base onto git instead of whatever mess the brothers had before.

I think theres some fps improvement in the pipeline, too? Probably a whole bunch of technical dept still to work through, too.

There's plenty of games to play in the meantime so I don't mind waiting.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They'll probably sell like a hundred thousand more when adventure mode comes out or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Putnam is helping with multithreading iirc. She's one of those insane DF oldheads who knows everything.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Qubee posted:

It's mildly frustrating that a game I've been playing for more than 15 years progresses at a snail's pace, even though it's an absolute gem. I would love to see them get a small office with some passionate, dedicated members to elevate further what is an already incredible game.

Adventurer mode has never interested me. I feel like Fortress mode is where the game really shines. There's so many roguelikes out there where you can get your adventurer fix, but there's not many games out there that give you your fortress fix.

OTOH, gently caress it, it's their game, they can make it however they want. The idiosyncracies are the product of a craftsman tooling around with a hobby project, that's part of the charm, it would lose something if it became a polished collaborative enterprise with set deadlines and budgets. As long as it reaches some definition of "finished" before they or I am dead, that's fine. It's not like I don't have a thousand other games to play in the meantime while I wait for the next major content patch.

Something being "churned out" is rarely a positive descriptor.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tuna-Fish posted:

Building destroyers need to be on the same z-level as the thing they are targeting. This means that a closed, locked hatch cover cannot be attacked from below.

This always felt so exploity to me. I'm kinda surprised it's never been fixed.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

IMO its very elfy to trade food for things. I only sell the finest dwarven metal and stone crafts, weapons, and armor.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 6, 2023

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Hihohe posted:

IMO its very elfy to trade food for things. I only sell the finest dwarven metal and stone crafts, weapons, and armor.

Elfy? Elves dont drink roasted vodka roasts! You may gird the kingdom's soldiers, but don't speak ill of we who keep the kingdom roaringly drunk 24/7

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah $7m split between two guys is "set for life" money, but not "set for life of great luxury money"

Hiring one person (Putnam) to do debugging as a long term contracting project seems about right. I'm glad they do still get those background sales though!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

On the other hand I don't think there's a way to reinforce something a building destroyer is capable of destroying, it's binary. You can't make a more sturdy than usual door/gate for security against them while still letting dwarves use it as an entrance/exit. So all things accessible to building destroyers are equally easy for them to destroy, and that level of ease is "trivially". So it's an exploit, yes, but it's being used to cover up a different balance flaw which is not in the player's favor.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

I believe Tarn has said stuff like this is considered a good compromise until he takes a deeper look into sieges and military stuff.

A lot of weird exploity things like this are left in because they work around systems that the dev feels aren't well implemented currently.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I had a dwarf throwing a tantrum and fighting in a temple, and was getting beaten to death by fellow worshippers. He toppled an altar, was cursed with vampirism and then bled out. Do I need to be concerned about him rising from his grave or anything?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lemon posted:

I had a dwarf throwing a tantrum and fighting in a temple, and was getting beaten to death by fellow worshippers. He toppled an altar, was cursed with vampirism and then bled out. Do I need to be concerned about him rising from his grave or anything?

I don't know the answer to this but why take chances lol, build him a room and seal it closed, then pour magma in from the top.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Too much effort, just chuck him down the well, it'll be fiiiine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Too much effort, just chuck him down the well, it'll be fiiiine.

But then if he does rise from the dead, you'll be spammed with annoying notifications, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Dwarven morality: we do good deeds in order to avoid announcement spam