Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Edward Mass posted:

A question to fellow Americans - have you seen ANY promotion for Doctor Who this year, either online on on TV? Because I haven’t, which could explain the viewership internationally.

Seeing all the new posts in this thread is how I realized there's new Doctor Who and that it's only on Disney Plus now. I like to think I'm pretty up to date on stuff but I've completely missed the premiere of 2 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That reminds me, how'd Doom's Day do? :v:

I guess not well based on this and nothing else.. But I did listen to the audio portion and it was pretty fun. Shame it got lost in the shuffle, as the doctor and companion cameo is right up this threads alley ❤️

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor + Donna best combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bASJEchs3N8

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Belated, but...

Cracks me up every time :)

the image of a giant Ian Levine shouting "EXPLAIN UNIT DATING" through a window has haunted me for a decade

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So the Celestial Toymaker is unsurprisingly being animated. Not sure on this one…

https://x.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1732762310739997167?s=46

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's fitting that the story with the heated gamer moment is the one that looks like it was animated in Fortnite.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Finally caught up on the last episode today.

When it was announced that David Tennant and Catherine Tate would be reprising their roles, I thought it was mostly fan-service to reinvigorate a flagging fanbase...

...yeah maybe so, but after two episodes I would easily, easily, sit through another season of these two. They're great.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

The hands were articulated and controllable by the actors? That's badass. I don't think I noticed finger movement at all in the episode.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Would someone be willing to give me a short summary of what happened with the Flux? I watched all of those episodes but I really have a hard time with Doctor Who when it comes to remembering all the ins and outs of the overarching plotlines.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This does a reasonable job summarising the Timeless Child + Flux

Jerusalem posted:

If you take the word of noted liar The Master as the truth, due to him using the infallible Matrix (proven fallible in its own first appearance, due to sabotage by.... The Master!) to prove it, then the Doctor was some kid found on a deserted planet next to a portal to another universe by a contemporary of Rassilon and Omega who adopted her, then discovered she could regenerate when she died and proceeded to vivisect her for years until she figured out how to pass on the ability to regenerate to the Time Lords at the top of Gallifreyan society. Then the Time Lord version of the even worse CIA than the Celestial Intervention Agency from Pertwee's era put the Doctor to work for some reason doing various war crimes or wetwork for them, including capturing the Sugar Skull Gang and something something something Time is a living entity apparently this bit I gotta admit I haven't got a clue about until eventually one incarnation disguised herself as a human in 21st Century Earth until she met Jodie Whittaker and was restored to full awareness again and went back on the run. At some point she got caught and mind-wiped again and became Hartnell (you know, the actual FIRST Doctor. The one who was actually called the Doctor for the first time by Ian and Barbara, the one who got the TARDIS stuck as a police box in the first place, the one that every other instance of the show looking back over past lives showed to be the FIRST Doctor?) who then took off into hiding and this time the Time Lords just.... didn't do anything about it until Troughton summoned them in The War Games?

Anyway the vivisectionist was in charge of the Super CIA and hiding outside of the Universe all through the Time War etc, built the Flux and used it to wipe out half the universe to power her space station to go into the other universe the Doctor originally came from, but then it turned out the Sugar Skull Gang could just.... teleport outside of the Universe as well and killed her unceremoniously making her entire thing a complete waste of time, then kidnapped the Doctor leaving the universe still half destroyed. Then Time was a real thing that.... killed the Sugar Skull Gang? And they were happy about it? And told the Doctor it hated her and then... just hosed off? And the Doctor never mentioned the Flux again after making the next Flux wave go inside the Passenger Robot, literally dumped the locket with her memories of past lives into a trash can, then had three last random stories, got bodyswapped briefly with The Master then regenerated back into Tennant.

It also ends with literally half the universe destroyed, planets and all, and the Doctor apparently isn't traumatised by this in the 3 post-Flux episodes 13 is in; nor does she seemingly mourn the loss of trillions upon trillions.

Flux sucks cause there's a REALLY good Weeping Angels episode in that run, that is unfortunately tied to the rest of the Flux poo poo.

Let us never forget Chibnall just straight up deus ex machina'd the Passenger hoovering up a universe ending threat and that was the end of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7IEZ0bc3uk
tl;dr Chibnall is an absolute hack of a sci-fi writer, and Whittaker deserved better.

:cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The official coronation has taken place! :toot:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I watched the whole flux thing, and it still just sort of slid off my brain. I was surprised when they mentioned that half the universe had been destroyed. If I tried really hard I might have been able to remember that that happened, but if you put a gun to my head I would’ve sworn that The Doctor came up with some way to undo it all at the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Diabolik900 posted:

I watched the whole flux thing, and it still just sort of slid off my brain. I was surprised when they mentioned that half the universe had been destroyed. If I tried really hard I might have been able to remember that that happened, but if you put a gun to my head I would’ve sworn that The Doctor came up with some way to undo it all at the end.

Yea that's the part that gave me the brain itch I always get when Doctor Who mentions something from the past that I really think I should remember but for some reason I don't. Seems like I should remember half the universe being destroyed, it's not like this was ten years ago it was only 2021ish.

Well anyway, at least it sounds like it wasn't just me, the whole Flux thing was just convoluted and not very interesting.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You mean to tell me you forgot important lore plot points like how every single human on earth has their own personal magic space dog who protects them? Or how the magic space dogs all used their magic interlocking space ships as a giant shield to stop the flux?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Infinitum posted:

You mean to tell me you forgot important lore plot points like how every single human on earth has their own personal magic space dog who protects them? Or how the magic space dogs all used their magic interlocking space ships as a giant shield to stop the flux?

Oh my god, everything about The Flux turns into a suppressed memory so fast that when people describe bit of it it's like when you see a brainwashed character on TV having a memory return. I completely forgot the "one spacedog for every human" spaceship wall

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually binged a lot of that run too, which I think is a bad thing for Doctor Who. So much information crammed into a short period of time, some of it is naturally going to slip through the cracks.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Edward Mass posted:

A question to fellow Americans - have you seen ANY promotion for Doctor Who this year, either online on on TV? Because I haven’t, which could explain the viewership internationally.

If I wasn't following this thread or the BBC Doctor Who Instagram I'd have no idea.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Edward Mass posted:

Disney+ didn’t even put up a launch page for Wild Blue Yonder until about 2 minutes before releasing it and it was a separate entity to The Star Beast, so if people want to catch up you’ve got to search out each episode individually (unless they’ve fixed it since Saturday)!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaroff posted:

Disney+ didn’t even put up a launch page for Wild Blue Yonder until about 2 minutes before releasing it and it was a separate entity to The Star Beast, so if people want to catch up you’ve got to search out each episode individually (unless they’ve fixed it since Saturday)!

I also noticed when I went to Disney+ to watch the new special, I couldn't find it in the featured stuff that's on the front page. I had to specifically search for it, then it wouldn't even show up in the search until I fully spelled out the word DOCTOR, you'd think it would be a top result even after I just put in the letter D.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh I can't wait for the weekend :allears:

Edit: Original official link went private? Have a backup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htRA5E96_N8

Bernard Cribbins stunt double spotted :smith:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 7, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Oh I can't wait for the weekend :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5Qa8hqQR0

Bernard Cribbins stunt double spotted :smith:

Colonel Ibrahim more like colonel ibra-hunk

Toymaker's pretty great in this glimpse, love the little focus-rack

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 7, 2023

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Infinitum posted:

lmao jesus

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaroff posted:

So the Celestial Toymaker is unsurprisingly being animated. Not sure on this one…

You know, I'm okay with keeping this one for last. Or, you know, not at all.

I am looking forward to the shittiest of lovely assholes getting mad when they edit it.

Infinitum posted:

It's perfect Chibnall. "What is everyone had a guardian dog instead of a guardian angel!"

"So everyone walks around with dogs to protect them..."

"No! The dogs are in space!"

"So this is another planet and there are space dogs...."

"No! It's earth! Today! Wouldn't it be cool if you had a space dog watching over you right now!"

"What?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At the very least give us some cat guardian people too. Or at least say they exist but they are mysterious and whimsical weirdoes who might not show up at the time you want.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A cat would never guard you. At best, a cat would watch you get killed with a look of concern.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Random Stranger posted:

You know, I'm okay with keeping this one for last. Or, you know, not at all.

I am looking forward to the shittiest of lovely assholes getting mad when they edit it.

It's perfect Chibnall. "What is everyone had a guardian dog instead of a guardian angel!"

"So everyone walks around with dogs to protect them..."

"No! The dogs are in space!"

"So this is another planet and there are space dogs...."

"No! It's earth! Today! Wouldn't it be cool if you had a space dog watching over you right now!"

"What?"

I didn’t watch past the first half of S11, but I feel like I could just get the Chibnall Who experience by downing a bunch of Ambien.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HD DAD posted:

I didn’t watch past the first half of S11, but I feel like I could just get the Chibnall Who experience by downing a bunch of Ambien.

Read a few New Adventures novels and then bang your head on a wall

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh god, there really are space dogs, I thought that was a joke

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zaroff posted:

It looks like an unfinished TellTale game :barf:

What happened to the Archer-esque style they’ve used for lost/unfinished stories before?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pyroi posted:

Oh god, there really are space dogs, I thought that was a joke

Random Stranger posted:

Oh god, I just remembered the guardian angel alien dogs that everyone on earth has that never were around before who just got blown up and no one cares and they didn't really matter.

This was a major part of the Flux storyline and I flushed it out of nmy head until four days ago because it's just that stupid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ianlevine/status/1732724542202589687?s=46

Oh no, the Doctor is in danger.

In distress, one might say.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I've never once done costume play at a convention, but every time I see this I kind of want to get a custom-printed "GUNS" t-shirt...

Do it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/ianlevine/status/1732724542202589687?s=46

Oh no, the Doctor is in danger.

In distress, one might say.

Was mildly amused by someone getting upset at a misical number in Doctor Who.

Then I noticed who was upset by a musical number in Doctor Who.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
There's seriously never been a musical number in the show before?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I can't decide should count!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boxturret posted:

I can't decide should count!

The Master even sings along! (Genuinely my favourite detail. I assume the experience on set was Simm just singing Scissor Sisters at the top of his lungs to utter silence as he hit his marks and choreo.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2023

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The ringmaster's little songs in Greatest Show in the Galaxy too!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"(sniffing haughtily) Rap isn't music"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

How quickly we forget The Gunfighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How soon people forget... the Ultimate Adventure.

Edit: goddamn, same joke different punchline.

Mine's an actual stage musical though. :colbert: