Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pete and motherfucking Pete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I might have to go to the Atlanta one even though it's probably going to be outside my normal price range. Has anyone ITT been to one of these shows?

Yeah it was great

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Since it's Bandcamp Friday, I thought I'd drive-by recommend two new releases from some local-to-me artists.

French For Rabbits recently released a new EP recorded with a string quartet, and it's lovely. New Zealand's best dream-pop-indie-folk band, it's probably not going to change your mind about the genre if it's not something you already like, but if you like dreamy sad music with fragile vocals, they're best in class.

And on the other side of the New Zealand coin, VORN just dropped what will probably be his last album (the cancer has been terminal for like three years now and he still hasn't slowed down much, so who knows), and it's a bizarre romp through a handful of disparate genres that all somehow still hangs together because Vorn's one of the best and weirdest songwriters in the country. He's a hard guy to pitch, but I reckon the album's worth your time.

His previous album, More Songs About Girls and the Apocalypse, also rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEeXyzSVWw

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Bright Bart posted:

This might not be your cup of tea, but it's certainly indie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXE2WceZCsQ

I think, that, in order to enjoy this song you need to remember that the lyricist is a spoken word poet and not an indie artist being different for the sake of being different.

Also, gently caress, this is great.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I might have to go to the Atlanta one even though it's probably going to be outside my normal price range. Has anyone ITT been to one of these shows?

It's definitely worth it. Highly recommend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
had no idea everything everything had another album in the works, and unlike the last one, this doesn't have AI-assisted lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEb9rDs0x9Q

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Saw Lydia Loveless last night, and while I've seen them a bunch, last night's performance especially whipped. Also briefly ran into them when I had to run back to the bar after leaving for my car. Didn't get a pics or signature or anything, because I am both shy and don't like bugging people, but I did tell them that it was a great show.Definitely recommend checking them out this tour if they're coming by.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

gladie released a few acoustic versions of songs from their last album which I've been enjoying, name your own price too.

Keeping up the rabbit theme (thanks captn, been enjoying French for Rabbits, also the artwork is great but hard to justify the shipping for a physical copy, tempting though), I've been listening to L'année du Lapin by Chloé Jara-Buto which is pretty good. Been spending some time sifting through the new local releases on bandcamp trying to support local artists and she stood out. Also liking Chien from her.

edit: I'm terrible at describing and classifying music but wanted to drop more than just a link so I thought to copy paste her own bio, but it's pretty sparse, maybe effective regardless,

quote:

(translated) Eternal demos, Chloé Jara-Buto wants to sound like dust on the end of a needle.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 2, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just got into them by looking up best of songs for 2020 Playlists on spotify. The album is great all the way thru.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I got Burlington with Unwound, billy woods, and Kurt vile as my top 3. I think their formula is just hosed

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Idles are a poor mans Heavy Lungs. Why listen to some poshos singing about Danny Nedelko when you can just listen to Danny himself.

I mean, he says himself 'I love you, Joe Talbot', so clearly Danny thinks they're worth listening to

also, it's a shame that the sprechstimme post-punk discussion passed without a mention of Ought, who made one of my favourite songs of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KdrAVh52I

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 5, 2023

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Screaming Females are ending, they had a great run

https://twitter.com/screamales/status/1732052131824255029

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Troxartas posted:

drat, I'm glad I finally got a chance to see them earlier this year

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Troxartas posted:

That loving sucks, my buddy and I were just talking about how we never got to see them.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I have mentioned Apologies to the Queen Mary once or twice before, without anybody pitching in. Not sure if that's because people are familiar with the album but have just moved on from this style of music or are unaware of the Wolf Parade debut.

If you're the latter, listen to the full thing asap. Ideally with videos. There is a reason why it's considered one of the OG parents and grandparents of the indie music that came after.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 6, 2023

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I mean, I'm sure it's what caught the eyes of other other indie rock artists back when it was released. I remember Isaac Brock pumping them up when it came out.

I grabbed the deluxe edition back when they released it on bandcamp. I actually prefer some of the EP versions of their songs, especially Modern World.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kramdar posted:

I mean, I'm sure it's what caught the eyes of other other indie rock artists back when it was released. I remember Isaac Brock pumping them up when it came out.
I'm pretty sure Isaac Brock produced that album!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I figured he had something to do with it, I just didn't remember without looking it up.

I remember logging into some proto AMA web magazine chat with him and him mentioning it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I have mentioned Apologies to the Queen Mary once or twice before, without anybody pitching in. Not sure if that's because people are familiar with the album but have just moved on from this style of music or are unaware of the Wolf Parade debut.

If you're the latter, listen to the full thing asap. Ideally with videos. There is a reason why it's considered one of the OG parents and grandparents of the indie music that came after.

I'm a big fan of them and have seen them live, when they got back together a few years back. I like the singer's follow-up band, Sunset Rubdown even more, and especially the album DragonSlayer which I can only explain as epic indie rock? Lol its alot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

Its a great album! They released a 20th anniversary special edition vinyl this year that I got

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

'nother new Yard Act single, been stuck in my head for a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVin9VY47dE

Sorry in advance to that one dude from a few page ago

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure where else to post this but I just have to vent, Pitchfork is doing their best of 2023 lists, and somehow the Best Rock Albums of 2023 is pretty much just a slightly shorter copy of their Best Albums of 2023.

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/best-rock-albums-2023/

Which in theory might not be a bad thing, maybe it was just a great year for rock, right? But like, Sufjan Stevens is not rock. I'm not some kind of gatekeeper of "real rock" but I would think that's something we can all agree on.

I think they basically just took any hip-hop albums off the list and called it a day.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m not clicking that but I just assumed the only “rock” pitchfork would bother covering at this point is Olivia rodrigo lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

She’s actually not on that list lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Skeezy posted:

She’s actually not on that list lol

Lol I didn't even notice that

They have boygenius which makes sense, that's pretty much it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Water from your eyes is considered rock now? lol

I’m old and uncool and I usually assume 70% of the bands on pitchfork year end lists are made up :haw:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sufjan Stevens has a couple albums that I would list in the prog/experimental rock category but Javelin is not one of them.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
So the only one other than Sufjan I recognize on that list is Feist. In other times this would mean I have a lot of cool new music I want to check out! Not this year.

Straight off they left me hanging after describe Julien Baker's forte being 'anthemic choruses'. lol. Yeah she has an okay voice but she's the instrumentalist of the trio. Lucy's the anthemic chorus gal.

But might that Marvin Gaye tribute at the top be worth checking out? MG/rap crossovers can be fire. MG/rock, why not?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That Water From Your Eyes album is banging btw I have “Barley” on high rotation. But it’s not really rock.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There's a lot of good rock albums this year.

Parannoul, Tennis, boygenius, Blondshell, Cobra Man, Bully, Sweeping Promises, The Chisel, KGLW, Jeff Rosenstock, The Beaches, Cherry Glazerr, Hotline TNT, Cut Your Losses, Cusp, etc. I haven't seen their list, but I haven't really looked at that many of the lists this year.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I still like the end of year lists in general because they are good to read while work slows down in December.

Also they’re good for 2 things: filling me in for things I missed that sound interesting and stimulating discussion about the list!

I think the top song lists are my favs.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I don't like them because I keep adding interesting-sounding new albums to my playlist and it will never end.

Just stuck in this neverending purgatoryscape of listening to new albums

But I really liked the new Home Front record actually

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Discovery feels like the never ending dragon chasing I enjoy. That new song/artist that gets you buzzing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

I don't like them because I keep adding interesting-sounding new albums to my playlist and it will never end.

Just stuck in this neverending purgatoryscape of listening to new albums

But I really liked the new Home Front record actually

Listening to new albums owns

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm really looking forward to hearing the RKMH all-caps record.

drat this Model/Actriz album is intense as poo poo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah, I like Model/Actriz and saw they were on there.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

drat this Model/Actriz album is intense as poo poo

one of my faves of the year + they were great when i saw them live. looking fwd to whatever they do next. their EPs (AVA and No) were pretty great too if you want more of them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
san fermin released another track. i like the sound of this one, a little bit like jenny lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5B5NzZ8VYo

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Got tickets to see Alvvays in a converted auto shop. Weeping, shaking uncontrollably irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
jealous — I missed them in DC last year :sigh: