Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh man, character creation screen...

Thinking about a pyro psyker, but I saw theres that veil tearing mechanic in the game when psyker powers get used. How limiting does that end up being in practice? Does using a staff also count towards that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh man, character creation screen...

Thinking about a pyro psyker, but I saw theres that veil tearing mechanic in the game when psyker powers get used. How limiting does that end up being in practice? Does using a staff also count towards that?

In the Beta is had exactly zero impact, milage may vary

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Oh you already knew about it, I thought you were asking sincerely. I agree with you mostly, I never had real bad interactions when I played kill team, but as a niche hobby you do still get some players that can be offputting.

I was asking sincerely I just wanted to make sure there weren't other examples I didn't know about. The way It was phrased made it sound like it's a thing that happens and not one specific incident.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aramoro posted:

In the Beta is had exactly zero impact, milage may vary

Hmm.. okay I'll just go for it then, thanks!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

it doesn't make you a fascist in real life to paint models of genetic supermen from space.

Actually it does make you a bad person unless you shake your head gravely and murmur about how wrong the miniature men are while you paint them.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Arglebargle III posted:

Actually it does make you a bad person unless you shake your head gravely and murmur about how wrong the miniature men are while you paint them.

"this is satire." I murmer, applying the last strokes of paint on my fascists, sweating with effort, peering at their plastic faces through a jeweler's loop "I'm doing satire."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are there any good reviews of the beta out there? I like Warhammer and generally liked WotR so this is probably a slam-dunk but this wouldn't be the first Warhammer game to trip at the finishing line.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Pierson posted:

Are there any good reviews of the beta out there? I like Warhammer and generally liked WotR so this is probably a slam-dunk but this wouldn't be the first Warhammer game to trip at the finishing line.

I think there's loads if you have a look on youtube. Issue is the acts after the beta will be the ones that got the least testing/polish most likely or there are just kinda random bugs that they assumed when they were doing the beta reviews would be fixed but may not be.

For anyone on the fence I'd suggest waiting until the "honeymoon" period is over in a few weeks. I've always found that that's where you start hearing the actual issues with games like this, as people get further in and start encountering worse bugs. There'll also be an indication of the hotfix/patch cadence as well at that point.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Pierson posted:

If you like warhammer and wotr you'll probably be fine with it. I think this is a pretty deep review that would give you a good idea if its up your alley.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Further Reading posted:

If you like warhammer and wotr you'll probably be fine with it. I think this is a pretty deep review that would give you a good idea if its up your alley.
I'll have a read, thanks!

thebardyspoon posted:

I think there's loads if you have a look on youtube. Issue is the acts after the beta will be the ones that got the least testing/polish most likely or there are just kinda random bugs that they assumed when they were doing the beta reviews would be fixed but may not be.

For anyone on the fence I'd suggest waiting until the "honeymoon" period is over in a few weeks. I've always found that that's where you start hearing the actual issues with games like this, as people get further in and start encountering worse bugs. There'll also be an indication of the hotfix/patch cadence as well at that point.
Yeah you're right probably wise to hold off. BG3 reignited by CRPG urge though and I need those sweet stats and conversations!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

About 20 mins in, still in the very early intro and it's an Owlcat game alright. Some rough edges still for sure.

I've not played the beta but, so far, I've had autosaves giving an error message "game was not saved, try again" - which can be fixed with a manual save, some background NPCs T-Posing, pop-up interaction messages not disappearing, and hitching during combat. Nothing game breaking but it's not making a stellar first impression in terms of polish. It's nailing the vibe of 40k though?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Instead of fixing the t-posing they should claim that it's some sort of ritual and leave it in.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Instead of fixing the t-posing they should claim that it's some sort of ritual and leave it in.

You can't spell heretic without T.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm surprised to see that my beta saves are available in the full game. Does anyone know if that's intentional or whether it's a bug that will break things if I use them?

e: Also goddamn combat is way more difficult in the full release. This first battle in the starport after the prologue is kicking my rear end, and I pretty much danced through it in the beta. It almost maybe feels like cover bonuses aren't working?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 7, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am very tempted to take the fat gently caress with the powedered wig and wario stache just to be different

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pierson posted:

It has the presence of a great W40K game that really gets what makes the lore interesting.

Technically it's a mess like all Owlcat games are on launch, will get a bunch of patches right away but say for example if a certain ability for Marksman is broken and doesn't work it might get fixed in the next 2 months or it might still be broken 2 years from now.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm surprised to see that my beta saves are available in the full game. Does anyone know if that's intentional or whether it's a bug that will break things if I use them?

e: Also goddamn combat is way more difficult in the full release. This first battle in the starport after the prologue is kicking my rear end, and I pretty much danced through it in the beta.

What difficulty setting? I had planned to try Daring on my own, and reduce the difficulty for skill checks, ship combat, and hitting enemies in cover.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

What difficulty setting? I had planned to try Daring on my own, and reduce the difficulty for skill checks, ship combat, and hitting enemies in cover.

I'm on Normal and the enemies are just repeatedly sniping me through cover, it feels like cover isn't working maybe. They're killing my entire party within ~2-3 turns on every attempt

e: I beat it on my 4th attempt :toot: But I still lost 3 of my squad

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 7, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjpbhwjC-Nw

Bad news, Dual Wielding is pretty poo poo until you get high level. Your second attacks costs +1AP and takes a -20 to WS and BS. The Gunslinger talent on Jae that lets her attack with her offhand for 0AP is unique to her.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

anyone know if theres a respec option, specifically one that lets you change your portraits? i want to make some changes to mine but im still early enough that i can just restart if i cant

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah okay combat is definitely buggy as hell right now. Many attacks, even single-target attacks like my Psyker's Psychic Shriek, are just arbitrarily hitting multiple random targets across the entire battlefield. Enemies do burst fire attacks that hit my entire party even if they're not grouped up, and cover seemingly doesn't matter. I dropped it down to Story mode and it's at least playable now but ugh

This isn't even on my beta save it's on a brand new save created after release so it's not related to that

It worked fine in the prologue (and felt much easier than the beta prologue) but everything I've tried post-prologue has been like this.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 7, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The cover thing happens in the beta as well, for me at least. Standing behind cover police squad style and they can shoot me, but I cannot shoot them, like they're unelectable as targets

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/mVissQR.mp4
"One creature" :v: Psychic Shriek always hits a second enemy target, which seems to be "whoever's closest to the primary target" even if there are 20+ tiles of distance between them.

Despite these bugs this game still owns. Can't wait until they're all ironed out but I'm going to keep powering forward anyway.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 7, 2023

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Played an hour on Steam Deck and game has been buttery smooth and the controller play as effectively streamlined as Wrath of the Righteous. Better even.

Praise the Emperor!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
One thing I can say confidently is no matter what, the OST slaps.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Huh, the talent for +5 Willpower doesn't seem to do anything. The rest of the characteristic upgrades seem fine. Weird.

EdIt: Seems like Humanity's Finest thing from Imperial World fucks with characteristic training. The more you know

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 7, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Should I make a psyker or a melee/ranged leader person

I've thought so little in advance about what to do in this game because I forgot when it was coming out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I've thought so little in advance about what to do in this game because I forgot when it was coming out

Psyker seems like the most popular choice, the companion options are a bit restrictive compared to what is possible for a PC.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not super far but everything seems workable so far. It's important to have some tanky melee but there are multiple companions that can cover that. Psyker feels like my overall most useful damage dealer currently because it's not constrained by chance to hit or enemy positioning nearly as much as gun-users.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pentyne posted:

Psyker seems like the most popular choice, the companion options are a bit restrictive compared to what is possible for a PC.

What should I go with to not overlap with them?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not super far but everything seems workable so far. It's important to have some tanky melee but there are multiple companions that can cover that. Psyker feels like my overall most useful damage dealer currently because it's not constrained by chance to hit or enemy positioning nearly as much as gun-users.

yeah melee tank was what I was going to do in the beta before I realized your literal first companion does that

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Game is prettier than I remember. I'm still in the tutorial but I haven't run into any bugs yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The combat bugs I was experiencing earlier seem to either have already been fixed, or they stopped happening for some other reason :toot:

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Does this game not have cloud saves? The Pathfinder games do!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone playing co-op?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
From what I've heard psyker and Officer Point at Guy builds seem to be the go to for uniqueness and efficiency

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I'd say a leader Officer, the other Officers you get have special things going on that you might want to focus on. One has powers like a psyker and the other has special dual wielding abilities.

Also I love that one of the diffuculty options just lets you give yourself bonuses to skill checks. I don't want deal with optimizing around skills if I want to change my party around. Though since I'm on PC Toybox would have also solved that issue for me.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 7, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Indira is cool so far, she calls the other characters out on the standard Warhammer Imperium Bullshit. I didn't think I would play this game as the Token Good Guy/Reasonable Human Being but it makes it pretty compelling

Actually all of the companions are likable in their own ways so far. Idira and Pasqal are my favs so far

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 7, 2023

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Any idea if playing chaotic locks you out of a bunch of companions or not? If I can corrupt the space wolf to chaos I'm in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Any idea if playing chaotic locks you out of a bunch of companions or not? If I can corrupt the space wolf to chaos I'm in.

You can get all the companions and keep them up to Act 3 unless that has changed.

Alignment is supposed to matter tremendously post Act 3, you have a Big Name Inquistor who's setting himself up to call you out on your actions if you aren't enough of a devout Imperial.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Played an hour on Steam Deck and game has been buttery smooth and the controller play as effectively streamlined as Wrath of the Righteous. Better even.

Praise the Emperor!

Seconding that plays absolutely fine on the Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Monastary downstairs spoilers:

Don't take the electro priests they offer with you - their damage heals the enemies you need to kill and I almost lost the fight because of it! It's quite funny to watch them do it but I would not have been impressed if I'd lost.